• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

I don't like her stand up at all but that's pretty crazy that she got the pull to get that pay raise on par with two GOATs too nonetheless

Edit: never mind haha

Well well well, time for some people to do some backpedaling

Amy Schumer says she doesn't deserve to be paid as much as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle.

M7JkHyO.png

Exactly what I was saying. There's a difference between men and women having equal pay and Amy Schumer having equal pay to Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle.

#ChrisandDavearedaGOATs

The issue people had was quantifying it by her talent, as if she was saying she was as good as them. Using the higher paid people in your field as a standard for negotiations doesn't mean you think you are as good as them, hell it doesn't even really mean she thinks she should get paid as much as them. Based on that article, she asked for the moon, and Netflix offered a little less than the moon, but still more than they had originally offered. Negotiations how do they work?

FyreWulff

itt people unironically demonstrate how there's automatic pushback on women that 'speak up' for themselves rather than just accepting what they're given

tl;dr

Women get paid less than men -> "well maybe they should learn to negotiate like men do!"

Woman negotiates for higher pay, is successful -> "fuck that she doesn't deserve it!"

Lunaray

The issue people had was quantifying it by her talent, as if she was saying she was as good as them. Using the higher paid people in your field as a standard for negotiations doesn't mean you think you are as good as them, hell it doesn't even really mean she thinks she should get paid as much as them. Based on that article, she asked for the moon, and Netflix offered a little less than the moon, but still more than they had originally offered. Negotiations how do they work?

Yeah, it was funny seeing those arguments get addressed again and again but I suppose people aren't going to read pages of responses before jumping on the hate train.

iammeiam

Not really? There would be nothing wrong with her trying to negotiate the same pay given where her career was at the time. It's also incredibly unsurprising that she puts out a statement saying she doesn't consider herself their equal. People going HOW DARE SHE SHE IS NO CHRIS ROCK SHE DOES NOT DESERVE TO THINK OF HERSELF NEAR AS MANY DOLLARS AS HIM remain silly because thinking you're worth the money doesn't mean you think you're going to stack up in the eyes of history, just that you think you're going to bring in eyeballs today. Given how often the entertainment industry is about throwing wads of cash at people for marketability over talent, pearl-clutching at the concept of Schumer asking for Chris Rock-level cash given how popular she was in 2016 remains bizarre.

Cyframe

I mean. White women have advantages over Black men and women, and it's a fundemental misunderstanding of wage equity if white women don't understand the factors at play here.

A Black comedian with Amy's talent would not have a career. Because Black people have to be in a league in their own to perhaps get what they deserve.

And even though she recanted, she doesn't have the resume of Dave and Chris. She's the Abigail Fisher of comedy.

Neverwas

If she'd been doing standup for as long as either Chappelle or Rock have, then sure, she deserves it. She hasn't, though.

If she'd been doing standup for as long as either Chappelle or Rock have, then sure, she deserves it. She hasn't, though.
That should have absolutely nothing to do with it. If she's popular and brings in ratings then that alone should be the determing factor.

I'd hazard a guess Amy has done more stand up in the last 5 years then Chris or Dave.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ummm she is saying exactly what the article said. She negotiated a higher pay after seeing what they were getting.

You're one of the few people who has replied in the thread multiple times but you didn't read the title of the thread or the title of the article in the OP?

Like, it literally says she "insisted equal pay to Chappelle or Rock" in the title of the article and this thread.

And what you quoted is her saying she didn't do that. So no, she didn't say "exactly what the article said."

The article itself clarifies but the title of the article is what 95% of people have taken away from this, which is honestly clickbait irresponsible reporting.

I mean. White women have advantages over Black men and women, and it's a fundemental misunderstanding of wage equity if white women don't understand the factors at play here.

A Black comedian with Amy's talent would not have a career. Because Black people have to be in a league in their own to perhaps get what they deserve.

And even though she recanted, she doesn't have the resume of Dave and Chris. She's the Abigail Fisher of comedy.

Nobody gives a fuck what you look like or what sex you are in comedy. Smart businessmen/women that can get their audiences will make their money. I doubt anything is ever truly 100% equal nor will it ever be, but that will never stop someone from achieving their goals if they outdo their competition by a wide margin.

You want a wild guess what the #1 earner by a massive amount looks like in 2016? And no Hart isn't some special league of his own other than making average to above average comedies. He just works his nuts off and is a smart businessman, rightfully getting bank for it. This topic has basically delved into a victim complex competition on who we should feel bad for more for, women in general or black people in comedy. Burr does a great bit on that when interviewed once about it.
http://etcanada.com/photos/170240/forbes-list-of-highest-paid-comedians-for-2016/#image-170249

I honestly don't see any appeal to Amy since there's a shit ton of comedians that I find funnier, women included. But she's found her crowd and is doing the right business to get money. That has nothing to do with her being white or a woman, just being smart. This is coming from someone that finds her a completely mediocre comedian in every aspect.

HeeHo

A bit off topic, but I only watched Chappelle's first special on Netflix and it was uhh, not as good as I thought it was going to be.

Gorillaz

Amy Schumer says she doesn't deserve to be paid as much as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle.

M7JkHyO.png

Exactly what I was saying. There's a difference between men and women having equal pay and Amy Schumer having equal pay to Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle.

#ChrisandDavearedaGOATs

On some level she was going to have to backtrack on it a bit because saying she should get paid the same amount as them is basically saying "yea I can go a few rounds with chris and dave"

I don't blame anyone for going for more money just gotta know how to pull it off. She doesn't have that same level of supply and demand or legacy as those 2. Still get your money tho.

itt people unironically demonstrate how there's automatic pushback on women that 'speak up' for themselves rather than just accepting what they're given

Except people are talking specifically about Amy Schumer compared to Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle. Not making blanket statements about women in the workforce.

I agree with most of the thread. Schumer is lucky to even be getting specials, shes not that funny and not even in the same fuckin' universe as Chappelle or Rock. That being said, it does all boil down to what kind of numbers she brings in.

She's not even in the same universe as Dave Chappelle, please. Please. Like, seriously. Please.

I'm all for equal pay, regardless of gender, skin color or beliefs, but some people get better paid than others because they're simply better at the job. I wouldn't pay someone like Gabigol the same as I would Messi, and it's not because I'm discriminating against my boy Gabigol, it's simply because Messi is way better.

She's not even in the same universe as Dave Chappelle, please. Please. Like, seriously. Please.

I'm all for equal pay, regardless of gender, skin color or beliefs, but some people get better paid than others because they're simply better at the job. I wouldn't pay someone like Gabigol the same as I would Messi, and it's not because I'm discriminating against my boy Gabigol, it's simply because Messi is way better.

Would you fault him if he went to his team and said "I want to be paid as much as Messi" and negotiated down from there?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I have no problem with someone who is arguing for more money. I respect her for asking for more, considering Adam Sandler is making mint from Netflix. Money earned here is not built on worth, it is on perceived worth.

If everything was based on deserved entitlement, I would either be getting more money or some of my colleagues would earn a lot less. It's not.

Would you fault him if he went to his team and said "I want to be paid as much as Messi" and negotiated down from there?

That's really what it comes down to. How can you really fault someone for trying to get more money and succeeding? I mean, look at the NFL. Derek Carr is the highest paid player in the league. There are multiple elite QB's in the league still that have won SB's, and yet they all get paid less than he does and he's done next to nothing in comparison. But Carr has every right to be the highest paid if can actually get someone to pay him that much.

He would probably get laughed at, and deservedly so. Inter is trying to sell him for peanuts and change, after the terrible season he had.

But this is Gabigol ok.

Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. That's all a part of negotiations, especially in entertainment fields. You aren't paid based on how hard you work, or how many dues you've paid, or if you are better than the guy making X amount of dollars. That's all this is yet people misunderstood it and blew it up.

Chris Rock standup in 2017 is garbage fwiw.

Also, lmfao at some posters thinking Schumer's statement somehow validates their shitty opinion that she doesn't "deserve" what she asked for.

Darksol

I'm on team "she's not as funny as the other two", as well as "get whatever you can get paid for."

I don't find her funny and I certainly don't think she compares to either of them, but I'm not going to fault someone on getting paid.

Good for her.

To heck with that noise. She demanded equal pay under the guise of it being because she is a woman, yet the fact remains that she is nowhere NEAR as big a name in the industry as Chappelle or Rock.

It's like an NFL Quarterback 2 yearsout of college that has madeit big by signing with the Broncos but without any super bowl wins demanding the same paycheck as Tom Brady and claiming the only reason his is smaller is because of discrimination (Tom being a SWM) when in acruality it is because he hasnt had Tom's level of success yet.

This is a bullshit move on Amy's part IMO, sorry. Her lower paychecks are relative to her lesser success in her career so far. Hell, ifanything she is probably on a trajectory to make MORE than Chappelle or Rock by that point in her career. I mean Chappelle's been in the game what, decades? I'd have to look it up but this seriously seems crazy to me to compare Amy's work to one of the all time comedy greats.

Edit: After reading the article and Amy's subesquent statement, I am a bit confused. Did she or didnt she demand "equal pay"? And if so, was it STRICLY based on comparing what they got paid, orwas it under the guise of "but I'm underpaidjust because I'm a woman?". If the former, fine she negotiated smart (even if she isnt remotely in their league). If the latter, yeah fuck that, becauseonce again she isnt in their league.

Read the article a 3rd time. It reads likea fucking hit piece against Netflix. For petes sake they paid her less because her clout in the industry is less, plain and simple. The whole "equal pay" angle in this situation is just nonsense, even if it wasnt Amy behind it and its just the article writer clickbaiting.

Also, lmfao at some posters thinking Schumer's statement somehow validates their shitty opinion that she doesn't "deserve" what she asked for.

If his latest stuff is bad so be it, but Amy's leather special was a steaming pile of shit. It was the cheapest form of low brow "look at me I'm such a slut" comedy I've ever seen. She can definitely pander to an audience, I'll give her that. It's a shame because her older stuff was funnier.

Is Rock's special out yet? I know his history with specials is more impressive than what Chapelle has done. Granted Chris hasn't done much recently.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I've seen very little of Amy Schumer. I'm surprised so many people that apparently dislike her are so we'll versed with her catalogue of standup work.

Sony

Nintendo
She deserves how much she gets and negotiated for.

Take a negotiation course. This is a good one:

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/negotiation.html

Kinda weird responses here. Much of the gender income gap comes from the fact that women are less to negotiate compensation compared to men. Here, a well known and popular comic does it, and she's getting tarred and feathered.

What am I reading? You're disingenuous. The issues surrounding gender pay gap are completely different. Sealing the gender pay gap is to want the same amount of money for the same amount of work for the same job. This is more of a talent pay gap. She signed a contract, then wanted Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle money.

You seriously see no issue with that?

I've seen very little of Amy Schumer. I'm surprised so many people that apparently dislike her are so we'll versed with her catalogue of standup work.

The specific Netflix special the topic is about is insultingly horrible, filled with "jokes" about her sluttyness, how fat she is and how big her vagina is.

PixelatedBookake

What am I reading? You're disingenuous. The issues surrounding gender pay gap are completely different. Sealing the gender pay gap is to want the same amount of money for the same amount of work for the same job. This is more of a talent pay gap. She signed a contract, then wanted Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle money.

You seriously see no issue with that?

The specific Netflix special the topic is about is insultingly horrible, filled with "jokes" about her sluttyness, how fat she is and how big her vagina is.

Maybe its not for you? Everybody has an audience bruh. How you feel about a comedian does not determine how much they get paid.

Who cares what she 'deserves'? Get as much as you can. If it's more than you 'deserve', that's someone else's problem. She could justify a bit extra just for all the shit she gets for being an opinionated woman.

Who cares what she 'deserves'? Get as much as you can. If it's more than you 'deserve', that's someone else's problem. She could justify a bit extra just for all the shit she gets for being an opinionated woman.

Maybe if she gets a raise she can pay all the comedians she stole jokes from.

Lowmelody

Not a fan of her stand up but I am a fan of women gettin that proper paper. I'm glad she flexed her clout because it will inspire other talented women to do the same and stop accepting that they accept less because they were given less in the first place.

Kinyou

It's up to netflix to decide if she's worth the money, but if they had shown her the door I wouldn't declare it sexism

Yeah for sure, if she pulled numbers then good on her, she deserves the money. But as a comedian ive barely heard of, she's gonna need to explain why she deserves the same amount of money as a guy that had the best selling DVDs of all time at one point and a guy with multiple Grammys and starring roles in huge movies, both who have been doing comedy for DECADES

She doesn't have to explain shit to us. If Netflix thinks she is worth what she demands, it's their decision to make. You somehow ignoring her meteoric success the past 6 years doesn't make her demands suddenly unreasonable.

Top Bottom