• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

LionPride

Banned
She's a big draw. Probably even bigger than Rock or Chappelle currently. Glad she got the pay she deserved. :)

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Bish where

Comedy tastes and material aside, Schumer's last tour was selling out arenas, in contrast with Chappelle and Rock, who usually play theaters. Even if it's their choice, which I suspect is the case, you can't say she isn't capable of pulling in equal crowds.

Nairume

Banned
I have a hard time believing she has the same pull as Chappelle or Chris Rock.
It's really not that hard to believe. Whether you like her or not (personally, I'm fine with her) Schumer's star is rising/has been on the rise, while Rock has been coasting for years now and Chappelle has intentionally limited himself.

Compared to the Chris Rock of the 90's and the Dave Chappelle of the early 2000's, yeah, she doesn't stand a chance. But those aren't the guys she's demanding to be paid equal to.

KingV

Yeah. There is an elitism that is common here. Nothing inherently wrong with being an elitist. The issue becomes an issue when people can't understand that other people like different things from you.

For example, when people post "Why?" Can't you understand or empathize why others may like something you don't? That's rhetorical. But I notice that a lot in this forum. People like or love different things. It's not that serious lol.

I think with Amy Schumer it's more like, I couldn't even tell you anything about any skit or bit that Amy Schumer has ever done. Whereas Chris Rock and Dave a Chapelle both at least had a few bits or skits that were meme-like. If I said "you're SUPPOSED to take care of your kids" or "Cocaine is a hell of a drug" many people would know exactly what I'm talking about. There is no Amy schumer equivalent.

The only thing I can really tell you about Amy Schumer is that she gets accused of being racist on twitter once or twice per year and deletes her tweets, and has a show called Inside Amy Schumer. I don't really know anything about the format of said show.

That said, maybe she still gets the views. We will probably never know, since Netflix does t release much about the individual pieces of content.

Skyr

Well if she got it then she deserves it.
Netflix is not a charity and if they decided her demanded pay is worth the numbers she pulls then there is nothing to discuss here really.

Only seen her on a dumbest criminals show years back and even then she wasn't funny.

Honest question from the US and genuinely surprised at this new revelation but how did she get as far as she did? Was it standup? Or doing movies and shows? From my understanding she's kind of doing the "jack of all but ace in none" strategy with her career?

She's an Emmy winner for her own TV show, she headlined a $100 million + theatrical comedy, she's had huge standup specials and she plays to giant sold out crowds. She's pretty much an ace in all of them. If we looked at it objectively, like baseball stats, she's definitely as accomplished as Chapelle and Rock, bigger in the theatrical area because she's the only one that headlined a huge hit film. Rock has been in big films, but only as part of an ensemble.

Nairume

Banned
I think with Amy Schumer it's more like, I couldn't even tell you anything about any skit or bit that Amy Schumer has ever done. Whereas Chris Rock and Dave a Chapelle both at least had a few bits or skits that were meme-like. If I said "you're SUPPOSED to take care of your kids" or "Cocaine is a hell of a drug" many people would know exactly what I'm talking about. There is no Amy schumer equivalent.
You have to keep in mind how long ago those memes were. We're well over a decade from "cocaine is a hell of a drug" and "you're supposed to take care of your kids" is now over two decades old.

Again, Amy Schumer isn't demanding to get paid as much as the Chappelle and Rock that made those jokes. She's demanding to get paid as much as the Chappelle and Rock of today. And I guarantee you would be hard pressed to present "meme-like" content they've produced recently.

Lifeline

Do either of you know the numbers? No? Then why begrudge her increased payday? Oh, right, because you don't like her comedy.

I brought up Sandler for exactly this reason. I don't like his comedy at all. But I recognize why Netflix gave him $50 mil.

I really, honestly, truly wish people would state why Sandler gets the benefit of the doubt on his payday and not Shumer. Just one of you explain it to me without resorting to "I think" "I can't imagine" or "I don't believe."

I don't have numbers, but Netflix themselves said that the Sandler movie was their most watched original film.

"I want be paid as much as men"
*finds the highest paid male in her field*

I have no idea how much money is fair in her circumstance and for sure her gender should not determine it, and good for her for negotiating btw, but comparing herself to Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle is a bit much.
neither of those are the highest paid in their field.

bigJP

good for her for wanting to get paid
but in terms of status, she is nowhere near those two and in my opinion doesnt deserve to get paid like them. has nothing to do with gender or race, she just isnt as funny to me

If my personal opinion dictated how much any of these comedians was worth to Netflix, Chappelle wouldn't get shit.

Thankfully that's not true for any of us. Which is why Schumer, who is probably the most popular of the three in the year 2017, should get paid appropriately from Netflix.

shaneskim

Chris Rock coming to my home town next year and already have tickets plus the hype.

By contrast, I think Amy Schumer would come and go like a fart in the wind.

But can't blame a person for wanting to get paid.

Fuchsdh

If she had the clout to demand more money, then she's "worth" it. I don't like her comedy that much either, but talent and worth in this stuff is pretty subjective.

If Chappelle got paid as much as he did for those terrible two specials then they're clearly doing well enough to be liberal with their money so she was right to ask.

Blackage

If she were a man, videos like this wouldn't be happening.

Eh, tell that to Dane Cook or Denis Leary. Joke stealing in stand-up is heavily frowned upon. Stand-up circles are a group of people that have no problem blowing you up about it.

Amy's unfortunately in the era where everything is digital and nobody forgets anything so it's just caught, documented and shown off more.

Preezy

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but is she asking for more money because she's as successful as these other 2 guys, or because she's a woman and so should get equal pay?

Good for her?

Don't know why people would have beef about what someone gets paid, especially if she'll bring the traffic.

It's about quantity, not quality necessarily. And besides, quantity has a quality all its own.

sobaka770

Banned
That Schumer leather social Netflix special was absolutely disgusting, terrible, unfunny and I only watched it because I didn't know her. I mean maybe I'm not a target audience but that's just sad how low the level of her jokes is.

Anyway, I wonder why don't they get paid in proportion to views generated? Or ratings?

KingV

Forget Schumer, how are any of them getting paid this much? No wonder Netflix is 20 billion in the red

I think they benefit from Netflix's structure.

How do you value a view? I'm sure they have tried to develop models to measure it, but it's not as straightforward as "if the movie grosses $140 mil then they will get X".

I'm sure that 1) many people in the company don't understand said models or 2) don't really believe them.

As someone who works with models... this has been my experience to varying degrees at literally every company I have ever worked at, including Fortune 500 companies known for their analytical talent.

Rktk

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but is she asking for more money because she's as successful as these other 2 guys, or because she's a woman and so should get equal pay?

Just that Chappelle and Rock were paid a lot higher than what she agreed so she wanted more, it hasn't been confirmed she got as much.

No crazy talk about wanting Kevin Hart money.

HariKari

It's really not that hard to believe. Whether you like her or not (personally, I'm fine with her) Schumer's star is rising/has been on the rise, while Rock has been coasting for years now and Chappelle has intentionally limited himself.

I'm not sure her star is rising after her last special. She's definitely more mainstream than the other two, but they also took some coaxing ($$$) and it's a novelty to have them back. Same with Jerry Seinfeld.

Nairume

Banned
I'm not sure her star is rising after her last special. She's definitely more mainstream than the other two, but they also took some coaxing ($$$) and it's a novelty to have them back. Same with Jerry Seinfeld.
Hence the "has been" qualifier, which it undeniably had been at least up to her special and Snatched.

Kentuchi

Neo Member
From the OP the conversation was sort of put in the wrong context, it was framed as a gender pay gap thing when it was basically a negotiation thing. She negotiated her pay well and got something higher, it's not an objective scale of the most talented getting the most cash.

Netflix thought it was a worthy investment and made the investment, that's really all there is to it.

LordOfChaos

Does Last Week Tonight get the same payouts as Game of Thrones from HBO?

Popularity matters in these...Also her standup was one giant painful cringe.

Leatherface

Uhh Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle get paid the way they do because they are worth more to Netflix due to their popularity. This is the entertainment business not an accounting position at an insurance company.

Bladelaw

Adam Sandler is still stupidly popular whether we like it or not (and whether we could even find someone who admits they like him).

I'll cop to it. There's been few Adam Sandler movies I didn't enjoy (Jack and Jill and Pixels) but I'll watch just about anything else he's in. I recognize most of his work isn't quality cinema but I enjoy it for what it is.

On Topic: Good on Amy for getting paid.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The market determines value, if Netflix are willing to pay that kind of money that's their business. Mark Wahlberg is the highest paid actor in Hollywood for god's sake, you take whatever you can get.

legacyzero

Banned
She's no Sarah Silverman.

I mean sure- negotiate away. I'm all for equal pay for equal work, or asking for what you think you're worth. That said, Chappelle has put in more work, and more quality IMO. This isn't a "Pay Scully as much as Moulder" issue. That makes much more sense. I'm just not sure this is a sexism issue, so much as a "you're just not funny" issue.

On the flip side, I don't think some local unfunny male comedian should suddenly stand up and say " I wanna make as much as Amy Schumer!" Without being told "sit down chump."
I really wish it was another female comedian that this headline was about... any other female.
I think this is my point too. She's just not that good. :/

To the board with some of you. Keep writing until you understand.

MT7YwMA.png

Good for her. Overestimating your skills and value, and demanding more compensation shouldn't be an exclusively male behavior :p

I understand how easy it is to take gender-based approach to this and I'm sure plenty have already but the bottom line is that she simply is nowhere near as talented as Dave or Chris, therefore, her pay should match the level of the product she releases.

In the world we live in, talent has very little to do with how much you are paid. It's about how aggressive you are, and how well you sell yourself. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

And I'm not a Schumer supporter. At best she's a female Dane Cook

Top Bottom