• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

Women get paid less than men -> "well maybe they should learn to negotiate like men do!"

Woman negotiates for higher pay, is successful -> "fuck that she doesn't deserve it!"

If her last -horrific- show is anything to go by, she is not as funny as Rock, not in a million years, let alone at Chappelle's level. Talent is key here, I imagine. But then, she must have a legion of undiscerning fans ready to buy tickets to suffer through her performances. So, going by numbers only, which seems to be the mantra of this mediocre era, she could be justified in asking for more.

Sheroking

Certain people on GAF are always so bothered by women asking for more money. Even when Robin Wright, an excellent actress, asked for the same pay as Spacey, people were taken aback by it.

Equal pay for equal work is obviously something that people do and should believe in, but there have been times (particularly in the entertainment business) where people have lost the forest through the trees and made arguments about equal pay that aren't really honest.

Robin Wright is actually a great example. She wanted equal pay to Spacey, as she is the female lead and carries half the load. They gave it to her and she deserved that, clearly. But then she got mad that Spacey, who is an executive producer on House of Cards and works on that side of it as well, still got paid more because he made money on that side. She doesn't produce the show so why on earth would she make something for producing the show?

Cool

Now she can pay writers to create good jokes instead of stealing other people's material

Actually, I've heard of her and seen her stuff, but I haven't haven't heard of the other two. I'm surprised at all the other comments saying they must be more popular than her. I wonder what the actual numbers are -- I'm sure Netflix would have them.

How old are you? I refuse to believe you don't know Dave and Chris rock

If her last -horrific- show is anything to go by, she is not as funny as Rock, not in a million years, let alone at Chappelle's level. Talent is key here, I imagine. But then, she must have a legion of undiscerning fans ready to buy tickets to suffer through her performances. So, going by numbers only, which seems to be the mantra of this mediocre era, she could be justified in asking for more.

Chappelle's done bad before as well.

DocSeuss

Damn good post, Doc.

I understand what you're saying. I have no issues whatsoever if a woman wants to be paid just as much as a man. However, I feel like rewarding someone like Amy takes the pack out of whatever punch that can be gained with trying to find equality against inequality. Especially when I find it difficult to ignore what she's done, not just once but many times.

It doesn't matter if I'm a man or woman, but if I stole my coworker's work and used it to put myself on equal footing with that coworker who is clearly a much better worker than me, should I be cheered for trying to do whatever is necessary to be equal with my coworker? Especially if it's completely wrong?

Right, it really just depends on where your preferences lie and what you feel the case was done here. I tend to lean a bit more on the side of "people lacking integrity shouldn't be rewarded," but I understand and appreciate that some people feel there are more important issues.

Equal pay for equal work is obviously something that people do and should believe in, but there have been times (particularly in the entertainment business) where people have lost the forest through the trees and made arguments about equal pay that aren't really honest.

Robin Wright is actually a great example. She wanted equal pay to Spacey, as she is the female lead and carries half the load. They gave it to her and she deserved that, clearly. But then she got mad that Spacey, who is an executive producer on House of Cards and works on that side of it as well, still got paid more because he made money on that side. She doesn't produce the show so why on earth would she make something for producing the show?

Wait, she was mad she wasn't getting paid for something she wasn't doing?

Sony

Nintendo
Certain people on GAF are always so bothered by women asking for more money. Even when Robin Wright, an excellent actress, asked for the same pay as Spacey, people were taken aback by it.

Goes both ways. Look at this gem of a thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1394497&highlight=gadot

To spare you going through the whole thread, it turned out, like any rational person would have thought, that Gal Gadot earned an equal amount of money (relatively even more) than they male counterparts in their first appearances as superheroes and the thread completely backfired.

Sheroking

Wait, she was mad she wasn't getting paid for something she wasn't doing?

Yes.

The amount Spacey made for acting on that show came out and Wright demanded equal pay. She got it. Then she found out he also has a producers salary, and got mad that he still made more. He is a producer and she was not. I guess she is one now, and I'm not sure of the timeline anymore. Maybe she is getting paid less for the same work now, I don't know.

RangerX

Banned
If she's doing the same job she should be getting paid the same money. The fuckin "market" has brainwashed everyone.

AllGamer

If she's doing the same job she should be getting paid the same money. The fuckin "market" has brainwashed everyone.

I disagree. Then, for example, every lead actor would also receive the same pay, but there are actors who are better then others and draw a larger audience into theaters. They deserve to be paid more. The same applies to, for example, football players.

RangerX

Banned
I disagree. Then, for example, every lead actor would also receive the same pay, but there are actors who are better then others and draw a larger audience into theaters. They deserve to be paid more. The same applies to, for example, football players.

Yeah I'm Irish so soccer is my game and there has just been a player sold for 212 million because the market deemed it so. Players get paid ridiculous amounts of money.There's an argument to be made for Tom Cruise vs let's say Casey Affleck but that's because of the budgets of the films. Do you think a doctor who does the same job as another doctor who has been there for ten years should get equal pay?

Wow Netflix really do just throw money around. Those guys shouldn't even have got 20 million.

All for equel pay but this is like an extra asking to be paid the sam as Tom Cruise in a mission impossible movie

FStubbs

Interesting that she picked Chris Rock or Dave Chapelle. How much are white male comedians making?

Any white woman jealous of a black man can honestly go screw herself in this society.

Women get paid less than men -> "well maybe they should learn to negotiate like men do!"

Woman negotiates for higher pay, is successful -> "fuck that she doesn't deserve it!"
It's not that at all. She hasn't been around as long and as consistent, nor has she been funny. Pretty important for a comedian. There'd be no complaints if she wasn't a hack.

She can try to get as much money as she wants. She "deserves" as much as she can negotiate for. She isn't comparable to Rock or Chapelle simply because she hasn't been in the business nearly as long. Nothing to do with gender but again she deserves as much as she can extract from Netflix during contract negotiations. There is no inherent right to X amount of money.

scream

If everyone are getting payed the same, how do you reward the "best"?
There has to be a hierarchy of quality, no matter the gender.
A better comedian should be payed more.

If you kill the reward, you basically kill the aspiration to achieve greatness.

Bulby

That doesnt make any sense.

If you arnt pulling in as much money, then you cant take home as much money. No business can pay a job at a loss for the sake of equality...unless of course you are top dog, then fuck everyone else.

Donos

While there are surely people who think like that and post here, i think you should have the right to say that she doesn't deserve it, not because she is a woman but because she is Schumer.

People her saying she doesn't deserve it would probably post the same if it would be about Dane Cook demanding the same as Rock and Chappelle.

Im all about that equal pay, but does Schumer have the critical and public acclaim that someone like Chappelle has?

I would say no, and i don't hate all her movies / stand ups but she is B Tier for me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
She'll be remembered more for things like this than her comedy.

Would like to know the exact reasoning behind Netflix's capitulation but that will never come out. If she had the same or higher numbers that would have been in the original post, right? Hmm, not there. How about in the Variety article? Hmmm, not there either.

Her team is taking advantage of something other than her comedic ability. That's what she pays them for, though, right?

Qasiel

The only thing I know of Amy Schumer's work is that she posed provocatively with Star Wars props once. Rock and Chappelle have been doing comedy for years and built a solid fanbase so I guess that means they can demand a higher pay packet.

Sweet! With this logic, me in a covers band can ask for the same fee as U2 or The Rolling Stones! Because, y'know, I'm doing the same job as those guys.

Siegcram

Sweet! With this logic, me in a covers band can ask for the same fee as U2 or The Rolling Stones! Because, y'know, I'm doing the same job as those guys.
Same job i.e. attracting similar crowd sizes

If your cover band can fill stadiums like the Stones then go for it.

Good for her.

Why? If she was as popular or more popular than Chapelle or Rock, then she would have a point. What's next: WNBA players asking for NBA salaries?

On top of that Netflix had to open their wallet to bring Chapelle and Rock back. I'm European and everyone I know knows both of them. Don't know a single person who has seen a special by Amy Schumer. Have seen her movies though.

I expect that Chapelle and Rock would bring a bigger audience than Schumer.

KUON.0101

ProTip: Whether or not someone on NeoGAF personally likes her is completely irrelevant to this. She is likely the biggest female comedian in the world right now and deserves equal pay to big male names.

Biggest comedian in the world??????

I keep up to date with American comedians. And I know her name, but that's it. She is not even close to the crowds/fanbase Chris Rock, Dave (even Kevin Hart) attract.

Why make this about gender and call people here sexist when they base their opinion on her status instead of gender? She is not that famous.

She isn't as popular as them but also wouldn't have the oppurtunity to be

no shit, she's a mediocre comedian while the other two are some of the funniest comedians of all time, in particular Chappelle. You generally don't get the opportunity when you're not in the same solar system in terms of quality you bring as those two. It's not even as much quality as the pull they got.

my iq may have dropped just by reading this. Especially the last sentence lmao

If she has leverage for a pay raise why would she not use it?

Get that money.

Why? If she was as popular or more popular than Chapelle or Rock, then she would have a point. What's next: WNBA players asking for NBA salaries?

On top of that Netflix had to open their wallet to bring Chapelle and Rock back. I'm European and everyone I know knows both of them. Don't know a single person who has seen a special by Amy Schumer. Have seen her movies though.

I expect that Chapelle and Rock would bring a bigger audience than Schumer.

Let Netflix worry about that lol, they will pay Schumer what she's worth to them, not more.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Good for h...oh, it's Schumer. Otherwise it would be fine but people just hate her. I hate her. She is an asshole and should be paid less just because she's a whiny asshole.

Women deserve to be paid a lot more but it's just the wrong person that's asking it here. She's like the female version of Trump except she doesn't steal her jokes from Fox and friends.

I am ranting too much. Long live other female comedians! Baby cobra shits on anything Schumer has done.

Edit: "biggest female comedian" in the US, and that's also a big question mark.

Good for h...oh, it's Schumer. Otherwise it would be fine but people just hate her. I hate her. She is an asshole and should be paid less just because she's a whiny asshole.

Women deserve to be paid a lot more but it's just the wrong person that's asking it here. She's like the female version of Trump except she doesn't steal her jokes from Fox and friends.

I am ranting too much. Long live other female comedians! Baby cobra shits on anything Schumer has done.

Edit: "biggest female comedian" in the US, and that's also a big question mark.

I think you jumped the shark.

sirap

How is Schumer's career these days? I stopped following her once the joke theft scandal hit...loved her comedy before she blew up (early JRE appearances) but the evidence was just too much.

Interesting that she picked Chris Rock or Dave Chapelle. How much are white male comedians making?

Any white woman jealous of a black man can honestly go screw herself in this society.

White male comedians are making wildly different amounts of money. This might suprise some people but how much comedians get paid isn't a hierarchy where all white comedians get paid the most with women and minorities on the bottom. It's based on how popular the comedian is. So someone like lois ck is up there with rock and Chapelle at like 17 million if I heard correctly. But someone like rory scovel isn't going to make anything near that because he isn't as well known. Race and gender really doesn't come into this.

And the reason she chose rock and Chapelle to be jealous of isn't some wierd race based white woman vs black man scenario like you are making it out to be. It's just that Chapelle is the biggest comedian, making the most money and Amy is a person who is jealous of the person making more than she is.

Who cares about how funny she is and how much she deserves it based on that? It's about how many ppl are gonna watch the special for Netflix. If she can bring the numbers in, then she should be paid the same.

Top Bottom