• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Rock surprises club w/ Amy Schumer, Seinfeld, Aziz Ansari, Dave Chapelle in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Women can be funny, just not ones that nearly word-for-word steal jokes from other comedians, ones she has opened for as well. Schumer is firmly in Mencia territory as far as allegations, instances and evidence goes. She's earned her reputation exactly like male comedians that have been accused for the same.

EDIT: This is in addition to her having some crummy delivery and really predictable and unoriginal material. Which also factors into the whole joke stealing controversy.

Comedians have consistently defended her from those allegations. They don't need honk she steals jokes, and comedians hate joke thieves.

All of Amy's shows and movies have been trash and her stand up can be decent at times. I'd put her on the same level as Aziz where he's good in small doses on Parks and Rec and has 1 or 2 good stand up bits but nothing else.

I would never put those 2 in the same league as Chris, Jerry and Dave.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Comedians have consistently defended her from those allegations. They don't need honk she steals jokes, and comedians hate joke thieves.
Comedians have defended her from the dogpiling, harassment and sexism she has received on social media in response to the allegations (allegations, by the way, from other comedians), and there is definitely hate-because-she's-a-woman aspect of it, not that she was pretty much carbon copying sketches from MADTV. Unless I'm mistaken, and there are comedians who have defended that as well.

Admittedly, it's a gray topic because in any art there's the chance that what you've done has been done before (hence the "parallel thinking" stuff when the smaller comedians were pressured by Schumer and others to withdraw their allegations), but it's very rare when it happens so many times for one comedian. The way the story unfolded should make anyone skeptical, either of her or her writers.

Aziz is funny when he is in shows/movies especially his Netflix show, but his stand up is garbage tier. He is leagues below amy who is leagues below the others.
Aziz only has one mode, really. Going through Parks and Rec now and he's fantastic IMO, but his stand up is super up and down. I like the guy, but I'm not sure of how he can expand himself. Master of None shows some range, but it was way more of a drama to me TBH.

Women can be funny, just not ones that nearly word-for-word steal jokes from other comedians, ones she has opened for as well. Schumer is firmly in Mencia territory as far as allegations, instances and evidence goes. She's earned her reputation exactly like male comedians that have been accused for the same.

EDIT: This is in addition to her having some crummy delivery and really predictable and unoriginal material. Which also factors into the whole joke stealing controversy.

Why do comedians keep on defending her, then? Don't they hate joke thieves? Is it some liberal feminist comedian illuminati?!

Jim Norton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDjvpHG2NRI&feature=youtu.be

Marc Maron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djm7iuv18CM
http://www.vox.com/2016/1/30/10874906/marc-maron-amy-schumer
Marc Maron: "It's a one-liner, who gives a fuck? If someone's hanging on to a 20-year-old one-liner as being this essential part of her oeuvre — that's crazy. One-liners are disposable," he said (the comments begin around the six-minute mark).

Maron systematically dismissed each recanted charge against Schumer, and then explained what he believes is really going on: misogyny. Maron shared a little of his own experience with misogynistic fans and said that he ultimately had to change the comments section of his site because it would flare up into an ugly, septic mess whenever a female guest would appear on his show.

"Garbage, slander, violence, just nasty shit — just a string of anonymous monsters. That was the pattern," he said. "They're all dudes who champion this thing [the Amy Schumer joke-stealing controversy]. This has nothing to do with justice. This is about annihilating a woman ... they put a lot of work into it — to the point where they manipulated my words to suit their agenda and get that through."

The "monsters" Maron referred to weren't the three women who briefly accused Schumer of stealing their jokes, but rather the people behind the slew of spliced YouTube videos that have been cropping up in the aftermath of the initial (now-recanted) allegations. There have even been some reports that Schumer stole from Maron.

"What is happening with Amy, it has nothing to do with justice and nothing to do with comedy," Maron said. "This is about hate. It's about anger. It's about women-bashing. And it's this contingent of culture ... Amy Schumer is just a fucking comic. Amy is an entertainer. And she's the real deal whether you like her jokes or not."​

Joe Rogan and Hannibal Buress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA5PDh-9hjk#t=22m53s
http://www.enstarz.com/articles/138...eft-joe-rogan-defends-trainwreck-comedian.htm
You probably know Rogan best as the host of Fear Factor in the early 2000s, but he's a powerful voice in the comedy world. Rogan's been actively doing stand-up since 1989 and famously confronted comedian Carlos Mencia in a 2007 video for he was called a "vigilante of comedy" for the incident. He's also something of demagogue of anti-feminism and men's rights (although, he's not very extreme).

So Rogan weighing on Amy Schumer's "joke stealing" is important. And yesterday on his podcast, talking with guest and fellow comedian Hannibal Buress, that's he pretty much defended her.

Here's what he said:

"I think the real issue is whoever wrote for the sketch show."

Rogan thinks the most egregious instances of similar jokes were the ones involving sketches from Schumer's Comedy Central show Inside Amy Schumer. For Rogan, the issue is with the writers on the show, not Schumer herself. Any of the similarities from her standup act only can be excused as parallel thinking.

"There's so much content out there today!"

Wondering why Schumer didn't catch writers possibly plagiarizing on her show? Rogan explains that idea away by noting the vast amount of places from which to steal jokes, including standup specials, TV shows andweb shows.

"That sh*t happens all the time"

According to Rogan, who has more than 25 years' experience in show business, comedy show writers stealing from standup comedians is nothing new. "Writers would hang out in the back [of the Comedy Store]," he says "and then those sketches would appear on television!"

"I don't think you can make her necessarily responsible for those sketches"

Rogan admits there's an "originality problem" with Schumer's show, but then asks "who's problem is it?" For him, you can't blame Schumer for not noticing plagiarized content being pitched to her for her show. There's no real way to catch it all.

"There's a fire right now after her"

Can the accusations all be fueled by Schumer's sudden stratospheric climb to fame? "She's a movie star now. She'd doing arena tours," Rogan admits. "People want to knock her down because she's taken off so high."

"She's f**cking funny"

Rogan's biggest exoneration of Schumer is the fact that she doesn't need to steal other people's jokes to be funny. "She's sharp, she's smart, she's ambitious!" exclaims Rogan.

"Comics like her"

Schumer is a comic's comic. Many in the comedy world, including Rogan, like and respect her. "If she were anybody else," according to Rogan, "people would want her head."​

Why do comedians keep on defending her, then? Don't they hate joke thieves? Is it some liberal feminist comedian illuminati?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djm7iuv18CM
http://www.vox.com/2016/1/30/10874906/marc-maron-amy-schumer
"It's a one-liner, who gives a fuck? If someone's hanging on to a 20-year-old one-liner as being this essential part of her oeuvre — that's crazy. One-liners are disposable," he said (the comments begin around the six-minute mark).

Maron systematically dismissed each recanted charge against Schumer, and then explained what he believes is really going on: misogyny. Maron shared a little of his own experience with misogynistic fans and said that he ultimately had to change the comments section of his site because it would flare up into an ugly, septic mess whenever a female guest would appear on his show.

"Garbage, slander, violence, just nasty shit — just a string of anonymous monsters. That was the pattern," he said. "They're all dudes who champion this thing [the Amy Schumer joke-stealing controversy]. This has nothing to do with justice. This is about annihilating a woman … they put a lot of work into it — to the point where they manipulated my words to suit their agenda and get that through."

The "monsters" Maron referred to weren't the three women who briefly accused Schumer of stealing their jokes, but rather the people behind the slew of spliced YouTube videos that have been cropping up in the aftermath of the initial (now-recanted) allegations. There have even been some reports that Schumer stole from Maron.

"What is happening with Amy, it has nothing to do with justice and nothing to do with comedy," Maron said. "This is about hate. It's about anger. It's about women-bashing. And it's this contingent of culture … Amy Schumer is just a fucking comic. Amy is an entertainer. And she's the real deal whether you like her jokes or not."

While there are a lot of people who hate on her just because she is a woman, there were a lot of sketches on her show that were just stolen outright. She might not have been the one who wrote those particular sketches, but someone that was writing for her is clearly a thief.

Also that comment about one liners from Marin is bullshit. Mitch Hedberg is still remembered today for his one liners.

A lot of people who hate on Amy Schumer are the same people who shit on the Ghostbusters movie for being all women before they saw a second of film.

That being said, Amy Schumer is terribly unfunny and unoriginal, and I can pretty much predict her punchline 9 out of 10 times word for word. That's not a good comedian.

BUT, she's a woman in a male dominated space, and she gets graded on a curve, which I think is unfair to her and to women comedians in general.

Also, you cant say "one-liners aren't important", when there are famous comedians who built whole careers off of one-liners, from Mitch Hedburg to Rodney Dangerfield.

Exr

I love how she is a known joke thief but people automatically assume you hate women when you say Schumer isn't good.

I love how she is a known joke thief but people automatically assume you hate women when you say Schumer isn't good.

That's weird. I've said I don't think she's good (or rather that I don't enjoy her) and never been accused of hating women. Maybe it could be something else those people (you?) are saying?

Stasis

I've seen Chappelle and Seinfeld walk-ins at the cellar. Seinfeld stuck around for a long time too. Good shit. This group has to be the best surprise experience though, damn. Lucky ppl!

Polarbear

Banned
gross, who let a fucking woman into my comedy club

women aren't funny

people, this is scientifically proven

The "if you don't like Schumer you're sexist" shit has to stop. I love Sarah Silverman and Tig Notaro but I've always found Schumer to be downright terrible.

sirap

The "if you don't like Schumer you're sexist" shit has to stop. I love Sarah Silverman and Tig Notaro but I've always found Schumer to be downright terrible.

Yup.

Plenty of amazing female comics out there right now. I used to love Schumer before her Hollywood career blew up (first heard her on JRE 485, she was fucking hilarious.)

Hard to ignore the plagiarism though, even Joe couldn't defend her after the latest comparisons surfaced (iirc he talked about it in one of the #bertisfat podcasts). The awkward silence from Bert and Tom after he brought it up was pretty funny.

ZeroX03

Banned
There's a big difference between "I don't like a comedian/this comedian doesn't suit my tastes" and "they're a bad comedian/they're not funny and nobody thinks they are". You can not be a fan of Schumer/Aziz and still think it's fine that millions of others enjoy their work. I do find it suspect when people get really aggressive about their hate for a comedian when it doesn't affect them at all and it's literally just comes down to tastes, and yes it does seem to be more prevalent in regards to female comedians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom