• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Jtwo said:
That is a good looking piece of hardware.

I agree. What are the rough measurements, what's it look like? I am just trying to imagine it vs. my current phone.

Also, is this the 1ghz snapdragon? On a 3.7 inch screen?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't understand any of this. Maybe thats why I'm not hyped at all.

Brettison said:
Okay I read this over a few times and I'm still like WTF confused by the pricing and VOIP stuff. So you buy the phone for $199 and you can get a $100 rebate for what?

Then it uses VOIP for calls? How does it do that? Over who's network? I'm confused as fuck on this part.

If I'm riding with a buddy in the car to meet some other friends and we are running late he tells me to call them to let them know. So I pull out my google phone and it uses VOIP in the car to call my friend's number I have said in my address book? How da fuck does this work, and what would I be paying for per month after I plop down my $199 while I wait for my rebate I hope I'd qualify for?

Sorry I feel sooo stupid right now! :lol :D

you are not alone.

pxleyes

Banned
GN-1.jpg

Needs to be posted on the new page. I'd never expect it to be THAT thin.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest isn't doesn't look surprisingly thin.
It looks about the same as the iPhone, maybe a bit thicker.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Bad_Boy said:
I don't understand any of this. Maybe thats why I'm not hyped at all.

you are not alone.

It uses data only plans from ATT. They are 30 per month for unlimited data. Google voice uses the data plan to make a phone call, skype style. So you hit dial and it uses the internet to make that call. On the front end it looks the same, its just that the call is routed via internet and not via whatever other way regular cell calls are routed.

So if you are in an area with no internet coverage then you are out of luck.

Maybe those charts in the Verizon ads are important...

tokkun

Polari said:
$199 isn't out of the question. Here in the UK the T-Mobile Pulse is the equivalent of $220 without a contract.

This phone supposedly has a 1 GHz Snapdragon, 3.7" AMOLED screen, WVGA resolution, etc. The Pulse surely costs much less to manufacture.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AndyD said:
It uses data only plans from ATT. They are 30 per month for unlimited data. Google voice uses the data plan to make a phone call, skype style. So you hit dial and it uses the internet to make that call. On the front end it looks the same, its just that the call is routed via internet and not via whatever other way regular cell calls are routed.

Ahhh, that makes sense now. But why can't I do this with a droid? Just get the data plan and use wifi/3g?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The google voice app on Android is still pretty inelegant.
It really bugs me, to be honest. Voicemail is fine, but dialing and receiving calls sucks.

You still have to press 1 or 2 or 3 depending on how you want to answer the call.
Which is ridiculous, it should have it's own dialar app with all the options.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Hmmm...how would I keep my same number if I am coming from another carrier? I know details are coming in but that just crossed my mind.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
SSGMUN10000 said:
Hmmm...how would I keep my same number if I am coming from another carrier? I know details are coming in but that just crossed my mind.

If you're switching over, there should be an option to see if your number is available, and to keep it. At least I think it is.

Jtwo said:
The google voice app on Android is still pretty inelegant.
It really bugs me, to be honest. Voicemail is fine, but dialing and receiving calls sucks.

You still have to press 1 or 2 or 3 depending on how you want to answer the call.
Which is ridiculous, it should have it's own dialar app with all the options.
...no?

You can turn call presentation on/off and customize some settings (do it on the voice.google.com website). I have it off so that calls are receive as normal (except for people with blocked numbers: they have to present themselves to me ;)

Also, dialing is just dialing. You can choose to ALWAYS dial with Google Voice, only dial with GVoice for international calls, never dial with GVoice, or have it ask you for every call.

How did you miss all this?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No way, when someone calls your Google voice you still have to "press 2" to send to voicemail and listenin or "press 4 to start recording."

There isn't some fancy UI in the GV app with buttons like "ignore" or "record" it's still all done through the normal dialer app.

Right?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
AndyD said:

Why the hell would AT&T or any other carrier for that matter be cool with letting people piggy back on their network for only $30 for unlimited data for VOIP and all the rest?

Plus wouldn't this really only work with T-Mobile since the phone would only be on Edge with AT&T so I doubt VOIP would really work. Plus you'd be fucked if you couldn't access the internet part of the network.

Also as the other poster said how would you get your existing number over to be the same for VOIP so people can call you?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, they should even go a step further than that and have those options show up on the lockscreen/incoming callscreen.

Pctx

Banned
Jtwo said:
No way, when someone calls your Google voice you still have to "press 2" to send to voicemail and listenin or "press 4 to start recording."

There isn't some fancy UI in the GV app with buttons like "ignore" or "record" it's still all done through the normal dialer app.

Right?

Not yet... but I mean this thing is very very early. I would expect a lot of those options to come up once Google has put some more effort into their app to handle all of those things.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The app has been out for a while. What I'm asking for isn't a major update by any means.
w/e I don't actually use GV all that much since I can't change phone numbers. It is mighty fine for Voicemail though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just talked to my bro who works for Cox (Autotrader.com) and they had some company e-mail that mentioned it. He just called on his way home, and asked what I was up to. Said I was reading stuff about the google phone. He said they got some company e-mail that mentioned something about this going down and some crap about the iphone too.

He didn't pay much attention and skimmed that part, but it does mean it's definitely legit and I have more faith we hear news tomorrow.

Pimpwerx

Vyse The Legend said:
Uh, what do you call the 2-3 days of mass hysteria, Twitter chatter and backroom whispering that have already transpired? The word-of-mouth campaign is already underway. :)
I mean something more tangible than that. Like nerd girl there. PEACE.

santouras

Jamesfrom818 said:
If Google can add Wave support, they can consider my soul signed, sealed and ready for delivery.
wave already semi works on the browser. I believe Google aren't going to make a dedicated Wave app, just have their future apps working through the browser, much in the same way as there isn't a Google Reader app from Google, they've optimised Reader to work nicely in the browser.

Personally, I'd prefer a dedicated app but I understand why they are going this way, much easier to roll out updates. I'd imagine there will be 3rd party Wave apps popping up tho, in much the same way as there are 3rd party reader apps available on Market.

OMG...

My brain can't comprehend this properly. 3.7" OLED, dual mics, snapdragon, THIN, trackball, android 2.1, $199 with a $100 credit, only $30 a month for use on AT&T or T-Mo with no contract, all calls made over Google Voice.

IF THIS HOLDS TRUE I WILL BE TEMPTED TO BUY PHONES FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!!

Seriously, if this is accurate... This will be a bigger game-changer than the iPhone was. Android would have like 90% of the market. OMG.

Our only proof of the $199 price point is a comment from some random user on some blog though? Sounds really shady to me? Anyone?

PLEASE BE TRUE!!!

Fatalah

DeadFalling said:
OMG...

My brain can't comprehend this properly. 3.7" OLED, dual mics, snapdragon, THIN, trackball, android 2.1, $199 with a $100 credit, only $30 a month for use on AT&T or T-Mo with no contract, all calls made over Google Voice.
]

Is that right? 30 bucks a month + no signed contract? Perhaps it's time I figure out if T-Mobile is better than AT&T in my area. (NYC)

BlueMagic

DeadFalling said:
OMG...

IF THIS HOLDS TRUE I WILL BE TEMPTED TO BUY PHONES FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!!

Seriously, if this is accurate... This will be a bigger game-changer than the iPhone was. Android would have like 90% of the market. OMG.

Our only proof of the $199 price point is a comment from some random user on some blog though? Sounds really shady to me? Anyone?

PLEASE BE TRUE!!!
Yeah, I find it kinda shady too, that's why I try not to get really excited, I don't want to feel dissapointed :lol

tokkun

DeadFalling said:
OMG...

A data-only plan on T-Mobile costs $40/month and a plan on AT&T costs $35/month.

However, according the FCC filing, the phone will not support AT&T's 3G network.
3G works on T-Mobile, but their coverage is extremely limited:
http://coverage.t-mobile.com/default.aspx?MapType=Data

I imagine that very few people could actually get by on a data-only plan. You would have to (1) live in a large metropolitan area that gets T-Mobile data coverage and (2) rarely travel outside such areas.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah guys, I wouldn't get too excited about a 100 dollar unlocked uberphone with a 30$ monthly plan.

The only way I see that happening is if google starts their own MVNO or something equally ridiculous.

EDIT: So andrex is banned. Who's doing the "Meet the.." thread?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, helluvalot better than the stupid Droid eye.

tokkun said:
A data-only plan on T-Mobile costs $40/month and a plan on AT&T costs $35/month.

However, according the FCC filing, the phone will not support AT&T's 3G network.
3G works on T-Mobile, but their coverage is extremely limited:
http://coverage.t-mobile.com/default.aspx?MapType=Data

I imagine that very few people could actually get by on a data-only plan. You would have to (1) live in a large metropolitan area that gets T-Mobile data coverage and (2) rarely travel outside such areas.

Ah.. well $40 still is remarkable if it pans out. A data-only plan wouldn't be THAT restricted, would it? I mean, it would kinda suck if you ended up in the middle of nowhere with no way to call, but would you still be able to use the T-mo network to call in an emergency -- just be charged like 60c a minute or whatever ridiculous amount it is. The loss of some coverage for the cheaper price is fine by me. Plus, there's always Wifi to add to your coverage area, so you know you'll be able to get good coverage on, in my case, a college campus, or at home/work/McDonalds lol

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm pretty sure any cell phone can dial 911.
Yeah but a phone call to someone about a flat tire, or out of gas wouldn't really need 911 service

DeadFalling said:
Ah.. well $40 still is remarkable if it pans out. A data-only plan wouldn't be THAT restricted, would it? I mean, it would kinda suck if you ended up in the middle of nowhere with no way to call, but would you still be able to use the T-mo network to call in an emergency -- just be charged like 60c a minute or whatever ridiculous amount it is. The loss of some coverage for the cheaper price is fine by me. Plus, there's always Wifi to add to your coverage area, so you know you'll be able to get good coverage on, in my case, a college campus, or at home/work/McDonalds lol

I'm pretty sure any cell phone can dial 911.

Yeah but a phone call to someone about a flat tire, or out of gas wouldn't really need 911 service

You don't have a phone every mile or so on your freeways/highways?

tokkun

DeadFalling said:

They charge 45 cents per minute for voice on the data plan.

If you're in a situation where you think you can get data coverage most of the time and are only worried about emergencies, it's fine. However, I think that most people would not get sufficient 3G coverage even during normal use. For example, I live in a mid-sized city and there is no T-Mobile 3G coverage at all. According to their coverage map, the nearest 3G area is about a 2 hour drive away. If I drove to my hometown or the city I went to college in, I wouldn't even get 2G data from T-Mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom