• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hope the $199 price unlocked is true, since my AT&T contract doesn't expire until April. This would be a real nice stop-gap for me until Apple releases their next phone in June.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
mAcOdIn said:
The future, in my opinion, is no boot up screen and just going straight to the OS.
I'm satisfied with the bootup animation for now!

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I think this talk of $199 - $100 credit for google users (seriously, wtf?) is bogus, as is being able to use data only for your contract and just use GV for calls. As mentioned, this phone only works on 3G/edge with T-Mobile and take a look at T-Mobile's 3G coverage: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx?WT.z_unav=mst_global_cvg (click the Data coverage tab). Now tell me how you'll be able to effectively use this phone for voice calls on a 3G network that size?

BlueMagic

XMonkey said:
I think this talk of $199 - $100 credit for google users (seriously, wtf?) is bogus, as is being able to use data only for your contract and just use GV for calls. As mentioned, this phone only works on 3G/edge with T-Mobile and take a look at T-Mobile's 3G coverage: http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx?WT.z_unav=mst_global_cvg (click the Data coverage tab). Now tell me how you'll be able to effectively use this phone for voice calls on a 3G network that size?

Yeah, it probably is.
BTW, awesome avatar.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
VanMardigan said:
No 3g for AT&T sucks, though. Edge just doesn't cut it anymore once you're used to having 3G.
Google isn't playing nice with ATT because they've been in bed with Apple, makes sense why it lacks the 3G bands for ATT (as did the first G1 dev phone)

I really think this is gonna be a G1 Developer phone redux, T-Mobile just happens to have contract-free plans now.

XMonkey said:
XMonkey
lacks enthusiasm.
(Today, 09:48 PM)

I agree with you, but it had to be done.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'll believe this price when I see it.

And what does already being a Google whatever mean? Already having a gmail account?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
So since Rogers 3G operates on 850 and 1900, I guess that means Canada is shafted, yet again, assuming the reports are true.

I'm gonna keep my eyes out for that press release before I start cursing.

XMonkey said:

...Thanks for destroying my dreams. Ugh, that 3G map is depressing... :,(

BlueMagic

Someone, clear my doubts. I thought a contract and a plan were the same thing. Apparently not. The basic question here is, if I bought the phone, would I be able to use it in Argentina?

Is 3G required for Google Voice? It doesn't work on Edge? Damn, this sucks. If you go on T-Mo, there's no 3G coverage like anywhere, and if you go on AT&T, which has decent 3G coverage, you can't use it because it doesn't have the right bands. Basically, this is a lose, lose right?

oneHeero

No Sprint no sale. Although as more details come in I may change my mind. I live in San Antonio, Tx no 3g problems but still traveling could be a concern and it just seems ridiculous :\

tokkun

DeadFalling said:
Is 3G required for Google Voice? It doesn't work on Edge? Damn, this sucks. If you go on T-Mo, there's no 3G coverage like anywhere, and if you go on AT&T, which has decent 3G coverage, you can't use it because it doesn't have the right bands. Basically, this is a lose, lose right?

Google Voice is not a VoIP service. It just manages your phone numbers.

My personal experience is that Skype does not work very well on a 2G connection, but in theory if you are using a client with decent audio compression, it should be able to work on Edge. But it is going to depend a lot on the connection quality - latency, dropped packets, etc.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-RcaUm7tv8&feature=player_embedded
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/android-2-1-ported-to-droid-no-one-feigns-surprise/
You had to know this was coming. That Android 2.1 OS that's been circulating inside the Google's ultra-exclusive Nexus One has hit the internet, and thanks to some clever hackery, you can now theoretically put the update on your Droid handset. We say theoretically, of course, because it's not quite a perfect rip. DIY instructions were briefly posted on Sholes.info but have since been replaced with a curt advisory to wait for a ROM that properly preserves file system permissions, else risking some serious breaking. The original image file is still available, but don't say we didn't warn you. Separately and perhaps unrelated, a video has surfaced of the Nexus One's boot animation running on Droid -- feel free to enjoy that instead, after the break.

Hmm, Kind of interesting.
Man, that loading screen is so much nicer than the stupid droid eye.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
BlueMagic said:
Someone, clear my doubts. I thought a contract and a plan were the same thing. Apparently not. The basic question here is, if I bought the phone, would I be able to use it in Argentina?
Contract basically means you agree to pay $x per month for a plan for y amount of months. You choose a plan (amount of minutes, data, texts, etc) and then are locked into that for 1-2 years, the benefit (or downside, depending who you ask) to this is phone prices are heavily subsidized.

The other option is to just sign up for a month-to-month plan where you aren't required to stay with the carrier for 1-2 years and can leave any time. Flipside is you need to pay the full retail price for the phone.

Whether you're able to use it in in Argentina is entirely dependent on what GSM frequencies your wireless carrier uses, and whether the Google Phone has support for it. If they're a match, you should be fine importing one.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mAcOdIn said:
The future, in my opinion, is no boot up screen and just going straight to the OS.
Then the future is here! Put your phone on standby and straight into OS you go! :p

(that boot up animation is overly ostentatious)

kIdMuScLe

damn! it took me about an hour and a half to finish settin up everything on my MotoCliq phone! :D :D :D so far is a whole lot smoother than the G1

gimmmick

DeadFalling said:

It's a loose, loose situation if you're not located in a city with great tmobile service. I'm not sweating it because Vegas has amazing service from tmobile. (it was the one of the first cites that rolled out their 3g network). The best unlimited plan with amazing 3g service makes me one happy customer.

HoTHiTTeR

gimmmick said:
It's a loose, loose situation if you're not located in a city with great tmobile service. I'm not sweating it because Vegas has amazing service from tmobile. (it was the one of the first cites that rolled out their 3g network). The best unlimited plan with amazing 3g service makes me one happy customer.

A what/what situation?
sorry, pet peeve
Even w/ Edge, Google Voice works just fine. All GV does is send a request out to the GV servers to tell them which number to dial, and then connects you via you calling your own personal & local GV phone number. Even w/ 1 bar of service and GPRS you can use GV w/o issue.

I love the fact that Googles dislike of AT&T directly affects me, an iPhone owner that wants to upgrade to the Nexus.

Am I dumb for thinking that it'd be a SMARTER move to cater to the 3G band of AT&T to entice iPhone owners for a smooth transition of one 3G device to another 3Gdevice ? I've owned unlocked GSM phones in the past and my service was spotty as fuck. I dont see myself going back to having janky service just for a sweet device. (or switching to T-Mobile =\ )

tokkun

Iron_Scimitar said:
I love the fact that Googles dislike of AT&T directly affects me, an iPhone owner that wants to upgrade to the Nexus.

Am I dumb for thinking that it'd be a SMARTER move to cater to the 3G band of AT&T to entice iPhone owners for a smooth transition of one 3G device to another 3Gdevice ? I've owned unlocked GSM phones in the past and my service was spotty as fuck. I dont see myself going back to having janky service just for a sweet device. (or switching to T-Mobile =\ )

Surveys have shown that a vast majority of iPhone users are happy with their device but unhappy with AT&T's service. I don't think they would get many converts by putting it on AT&T. Moreover, if AT&T doesn't want to work with them (or possibly can't due to contractual obligations with Apple), they couldn't offer a plan-bundled subsidy option like they could with the other carriers.

SimleuqiR

Iron_Scimitar said:

How do we know if AT&T hasn't outright turn down any offerings from Google? They seem to want to keep Apple happy. It's almost a no "brainer" that AT&T would love to keep the iPhone exclusive to it's network come June 2010.

They will most likely get Android phones through Motorola, but Google Experience phones like the Nexus require a shake of hand with Google. Which is probably not something they are willing to do at the moment.

Motorola is working on a chip that can be used for both AT&T and T-mobile 3G bands in the USA. Hopefully the next Google Experience phone will be a true "unlocked" phone.

Edit:

Eldar Murtazin: Google Phone Is Fake, Apple Started Rumors

When the rumors first squirted out and the WSJ published the Nexus One name, the avalanche began. Murtazin was quick to jump on the opposing side, claiming the whole thing just didn’t make sense and/or fit into Google’s strategy as a software company and his conclusion (translated) of the rumors was, “I do not believe in them.” This is what I’ve said all along but as the opposition mounted, I conceded the point that a Google Phone could exist and have jumped right into the rumor train the past few days.

But Murtazin didn’t stop at making a lengthy blog post… he also took to Twitter and began justifying his position.One of his justification seems to come from a conversation he had with a Google employee who said the story is much different than it looks:

nexus-rumors2.jpg

nexus-rumors3.jpg

nexus-rumors4.jpg

nexus-rumors.jpg

All this happened on December 13th and in the past 2 days a lot more has happened. What Murtazin has to say is based on opinion and speculation but he is certainly the type of person that would know. On the other hand, plenty of credible sources have gone along with the rumors which Murtazin says Apple started. Its pretty much impossible to pinpoint who started such rumors especially since these rumors have existed for some time… it would be like trying to find the starter of Apple Tablet rumors or Playstation Phone rumors.

Any way you look at it we’ll find out the truth in the VERY near future as the phone is rumored to begin selling as early as January 5th. There have been SOOOO many articles about the Google Phone and Nexus One that assume truth and fact, I wanted to present this opposing opinion to even things out. If you can remember, I’ve shared the same opinion as Murtazin for quite some time and I’m incredibly eager – as you are – to see where it all heads.

Looks like the previous post, in this thread, about it being just Apple rumor mongering was not far off.

I have already started calling this a "Google Experience Phone" not the "Google Phone" or "gPhone".

I'm just happy it's coming out on soon and on T-mobile. :D

Pctx

Banned
Jtwo said:
Yeah guys, I wouldn't get too excited about a 100 dollar unlocked uberphone with a 30$ monthly plan.

The only way I see that happening is if google starts their own MVNO or something equally ridiculous.

EDIT: So andrex is banned. Who's doing the "Meet the.." thread?
Once the phone specs get official, I'll start the thread if no one else has taken it.

Uh oh. Eldar Murtazin, editor-in-chief of Mobile Review and the king of insider information for the mobile phone industry, has chimed in:

The Google Phone is a fake. The Nexus One is simply another Android phone. The rumors were allegedly started by Apple in an attempt to generate ill-will for Google and Android.

He posted all this via his Twitter, as he often does. Most recently, he broke the story that FoxConn had officially received the build order for this year's iPhone model.

Phandroid Recap

Edit: Beaten. :lol

I'm just happy it's coming out on soon and on T-mobile.

I agree. It's nice that T-Mobile is getting a high-end phone for once.

Pctx

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Uh oh. Eldar Murtazin, editor-in-chief of Mobile Review and the king of insider information for the mobile phone industry, has chimed in:

The Google Phone is a fake. The Nexus One is simply another Android phone. The rumors were allegedly started by Apple in an attempt to generate ill-will for Google and Android.

He posted all this via his Twitter, as he often does. Most recently, he broke the story that FoxConn had officially received the build order for this year's iPhone model.

Phandroid Recap

Edit: Beaten. :lol

I agree. It's nice that T-Mobile is getting a high-end phone for once.

So wait... Apple started this rumor fest.... it basically blew up in their faces.... half of America is hyped as all hell on getting this phone.... and somehow Apple is still claiming that they are superior? :lol

Wow.

SimleuqiR said:
Motorola is working on a chip that can be used for both AT&T and T-mobile 3G bands in the USA. Hopefully the next Google Experience phone will be a true "unlocked" phone.

Qualcomm is doing one better and making a chip that can go on ATT and Verizon's next gen networks.

http://mobile.engadget.com/2009/11/12/qualcomm-chip-promises-1ghz-speeds-in-mainstream-smartphones/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/qualcomm-now-sampling-industrys-first-dual-carrier-hspa-and-multi-mode-3glte-chipsets-for-global-markets-69841892.html

SimleuqiR

Pctx said:
So wait... Apple started this rumor fest.... it basically blew up in their faces.... half of America is hyped as all hell on getting this phone.... and somehow Apple is still claiming that they are superior? :lol

Wow.

Someone here originally pointed to the twitter posting about "Apple starting the rumor" (can't find the post now). And I wonder to myself why would Apple want to do this? A true Google Phone would be huge!!

Not sure how giving Google ideas helps them in the long run. :-/

prodystopian said:

Good stuff! I wish the US mobile industry were more like Europe's. Carriers should compete on plans and services, not on who can monopolize the biggest network.

Pctx

Banned
SimleuqiR said:
Someone here originally pointed to the twitter posting about "Apple starting the rumor" (can't find the post now). And I wonder to myself why would Apple want to do this? A true Google Phone would be huge!!

Not sure how giving Google ideas helps them in the long run. :-/

Good stuff! I wish the US mobile industry were more like Europe's. Carriers should compete on plans and services, not on who can monopolize the biggest network.

Yeah--- just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Whatever though. I can see their take on trying to frame Google in the vein of a segmented Android OS market with the "superior" version which--- honestly it looks like backfired and I doubt Google will ever do that.

The most the Android market is segmented right now is those who use stock Android and those who use Sense UI Android.... that's about it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Because there's no actual trace back to Apple starting the rumors, so what most people will see/hear is that Google made plans to launch their own phone but got cold feet, and maybe that works in Apple's favor because a lot of people might assume that it was because of Google was scared of the competition, etc.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
:lol

What a crazy turn of events the past several hours. I expect another twist.

Fatalah

I'm kind of disappointed at how slow this thread is moving today. I was expecting big things! No updates on Engadget either... I swear if this is Apple pulling a fast one! *shakes fist*

What in the holy mother of FUCK is going on...I dont know what to believe anymore.

Apple starting rumors? SMFH, they are like fucking children in the school yard.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Rumors or not that is still and awesome f'n phone. If apple so called started this as a hoax then it seems to be backfiring. I think the hype is still there regardless for this phone.

Pimpwerx

That specific phone is in the hands of a large number of Google employees. They beta Android phones way ahead of schedule, but this one is widespread. Not sure where the news of it being fake come from, but from what I've heard personally, the phone is real, and while many people will be "gifted" one this Xmas, they're not supposed to officially give them away until January. I heard this from someone who also uses AT&T as his provider, and he was using this phone. I didn't ask him if he was using it on his plan or not, though. PEACE.

tokkun

The phone itself is obviously not fake.

The question is whether the rumors about the business model and way it will be sold are fake. I will not be surprised if most of those rumors do not pan out. First of all, the phone blog scene is such an echo chamber that even rumors that clearly don't have a reliable source (like comments on a blog post) start getting bandied about as facts within a couple hours. Second, I and others have been pointing out many aspects of the rumors that are either infeasible or don't seem to make any business sense, but people are getting so hyped up that they don't want to listen to reason. Third, for some reason people seem to think that Google is this sort of magic corporation that can overcome any sort of financial barriers.

Hopefully this will cool people down so they start applying some common sense to these rumors.

Pimpwerx said:
That specific phone is in the hands of a large number of Google employees. They beta Android phones way ahead of schedule, but this one is widespread. Not sure where the news of it being fake come from, but from what I've heard personally, the phone is real, and while many people will be "gifted" one this Xmas, they're not supposed to officially give them away until January. I heard this from someone who also uses AT&T as his provider, and he was using this phone. I didn't ask him if he was using it on his plan or not, though. PEACE.

The phone is real. No one is saying it's not. It is not, however, the fabled Google Phone, i.e. a phone designed for VOiP that will revolutionize the phone industry. It's just an HTC phone that is heading to T-Mobile, and it will, more than likely, be sold directly by Google as the ADP3, because it uses SnapDragon and a WVGA screen.

Fatalah said:
We can still be excited at Snapdragon finally coming to the Android product lineup...

I am very excited about this.

Vyse The Legend said:
The phone is real. No one is saying it's not. It is not, however, the fabled Google Phone, i.e. a phone designed for VOiP that will revolutionize the phone industry. It's just an HTC phone that is heading to T-Mobile, and it will, more than likely, be sold directly by Google as the ADP3, because it uses SnapDragon and a WVGA screen.

I have been thinking about this and I just don't see this happening anytime soon. First, I am not confident in the high bandwidth coverage for this to be feasible. Second, even if you could cover nearly everywhere with enough bandwidth to support this*, the cable/phone companies had the same revolution with VoIP able to replace landlines because of the large data pipes going to nearly every home. That hasn't stopped them from still charging too much for a land line. Maybe it will bring down prices eventually on cell plans, but I just don't see it getting these companies that charge for a data plan and then charge again for 140kb data packets (SMS) to give up charging for voice just because VoIP works on a phone. I would love to be wrong, though.

*How much bandwidth is required for VoIP versus regular voice the way it is implemented now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom