• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

Bboy AJ said:
Hey man, you know the X10 is expensive!

Yes. It would probably take only an hour or so. That said, ehhh, it might be a headache so I probably won't go through with it.

There will probably be an activation fee. And possibly a mail-in rebate. You wouldn't come out making much.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mason said:
There will probably be an activation fee. And possibly a mail-in rebate. You wouldn't come out making much.
No activation fee for online orders. But yes, you're probably right. It wouldn't be worth the hassle. I just like loopholes :)

At the least, it would be a couple of weeks with an Android phone. That would be time I don't have to spend with my 3GS :lol

SimleuqiR

Bluemercury said:
IS this nexus phone better than Droid spec wise???im considering buying Droid/Milestone but im still undecided....

Just a bit better. I would have jumped on the Droid bandwagon if it wasn't for it being on Verizon (too rich for my blood).

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bluemercury said:
IS this nexus phone better than Droid spec wise???im considering buying Droid/Milestone but im still undecided....
Yes. Droid uses the ARM 600 MHz processor while the Nexus uses Snapdragon 1Ghz.

SimleuqiR

Bluemercury said:
Where are the full specs, cant seem to enter the nexusone site.

Rough specifications:

From what we can see the handset will feature a 3.7 inch AMOLED capacitive touchscreen display and a 5 megapixel camera. It also looks as if the handset will feature WiFi b/g/n connectivity along with Bluetooth and A-GPS connectivity.

The handset will be powered by a 1000MHz Snapdragon processor, this combined with Android 2.1 should result in a super-speedy device.

The handset will also feature a microSD/SDHC memory card slot, and from what we can see (here) will be just 10mm thick.

DieH@rd

Banned
Can anyone tell me the difference between capacitive and resistive touchscreen? And witch one is better for general mobile phone use [multi-touch, gestures, etc etc]

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
DieH@rd said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between capacitive and resistive touchscreen? And witch one is better for general mobile phone use [multi-touch, gestures, etc etc]

Capacitive is more sensitive. Resistive requires more force. Ergo, it's better for general mobile use. It works with multi-touch and gestures. Downside is, capacitive screens can't be used with gloves, since they require contact from skin.

DieH@rd

Banned
I used resistive tocuhscreens from time to time, but i only tried capacitive for ~30secs and i didnt had the time too search for differences. Thanks for info.

skybaby

I'm thinking about getting the Milestone so here's a question: is the GPS navigation proprietary Motorola shit or is it Googlemaps android 2.0 style?

I've never owned a smartphone and haven't kept up with the new stuff at all. What's the best Android phone for Verizon right now? I've looked at the Moto Droid and the HTC Droid Eris.

I like that the Droid has the newer OS version, but I don't like the touchpad on the right side of the phone. I'm left-handed so this is very close to a deal-breaker. However, my wife wants a smartphone too and even though she is also a lefty, she is perfectly fine using her right hand for mice/touchpads.

Also, Verizon has a deal right now where if you buy a Droid, you get a Droid Eris free. So is this what I should do? How much difference is there between Android 1.5 and 2.0 and can it ever be upgraded?

Edit: I just read that Verizon says the Droid Eris will be updated to at least 2.0, so I don't have to worry about that.

tokkun

CrayzeeCarl said:
I've never owned a smartphone and haven't kept up with the new stuff at all. What's the best Android phone for Verizon right now? I've looked at the Moto Droid and the HTC Droid Eris.

I like that the Droid has the newer OS version, but I don't like the touchpad on the right side of the phone. I'm left-handed so this is very close to a deal-breaker. However, my wife wants a smartphone too and even though she is also a lefty, she is perfectly fine using her right hand for mice/touchpads.

Also, Verizon has a deal right now where if you buy a Droid, you get a Droid Eris free. So is this what I should do? How much difference is there between Android 1.5 and 2.0 and can it ever be upgraded?

Edit: I just read that Verizon says the Droid Eris will be updated to at least 2.0, so I don't have to worry about that.

You have a 30-day period to exchange new phones. So buy one Droid and one Eris. You and your wife can take turns with each phone. At the end of the 30 days, if you both want the same phone, exchange the one you don't want.

BlueMagic said:
If the phone is made by HTC, shouldn't it have the HTC sense UI?
Yeah, but that's just the UI, right? The underlying OS is Android 1.5 (soon to be 2.0/2.1).

tokkun said:
You have a 30-day period to exchange new phones. So buy one Droid and one Eris. You and your wife can take turns with each phone. At the end of the 30 days, if you both want the same phone, exchange the one you don't want.
Cool, thanks. :D

BlueMagic

Is there any specific reason or did they just not wanted it to use it?

EDIT:
Yeah, but that's just the UI, right? The underlying OS is Android 1.5 (soon to be 2.0/2.1).
I was referring to the new one, the Nexus One, or whatever it is supposed to be called.

SimleuqiR

BlueMagic said:
Is there any specific reason or did they just not wanted it to use it?

EDIT:

I was referring to the new one, the Nexus One, or whatever it is supposed to be called.

Nexus One is a Google Experience phone, which means it probably runs Android 2.1 stock, with some enhancements to Google Applications. The Sense UI is for HTC flagship Android phones.

There might be a HTC version of the Nexus One down the road (specifications wise, with HTC brand all over it and maybe even a better design) and that might have Sense UI in it.

I have syncing contacts turned off on my Hero. I want to get my Hero contacts onto Gmail. Will turning on the syncing in my settings bring my Hero contacts to Gmail, or will it erase my contacts on my phone?

SimleuqiR

jonnybryce said:
I have syncing contacts turned off on my Hero. I want to get my Hero contacts onto Gmail. Will turning on the syncing in my settings bring my Hero contacts to Gmail, or will it erase my contacts on my phone?

I don't know on the Android, but on my iPhone whenever I synced it with exchange & Gmail it would erase all my "phone" contacts and replace them with Gmail's.

jonnybryce said:
It will combine both into one list. I recommend doing it, because then you can just edit the contacts on your computer with a full keyboard and mouse, and through the magic of the Internet, the changes will be reflected on your phone, without you having to worry about pressing "sync" or anything like that. It all happens in the background. Also, Google Contacts has a tool for combining duplicate contacts, which is great.

jonnybryce said:
So Sprint is introducing a new fee in January! :lol An oppurtunity to get out of contract without an ETF.

I'm currently on the Everything Plus 500 Plan for $59. T-Mobile just launched a comparable $59 plan, and Google Nav will cover my losing Telenav.

Come on Google, announce the details of this thing. Everything fell into place, I'll switch to T-Mobile for the Nexus!

Shit? Really? Awesome.

Pimpwerx

jonnybryce said:
It'll add the numbers to Gmail. Anything you add/remove on the Gmail side will be added/removed from the phone. Anything added/removed from the phone side will be added/removed from Gmail (I think). Not sure if it removes it completely from Gmail or leaves it in the "All" list. PEACE.

EDIT: Still relatively fool proof. Just protect your password or someone can wipe your contacts from Gmail alone.

SimleuqiR

BlueMagic said:
If the phone is made by HTC, shouldn't it have the HTC sense UI?

Even if it doesn't it looks like HTC might eventually sell the Sense UI widgets:

Rosie Widgets? Sounds like HTC Sense widgets to me! Although if you search Android Market for the applications now you won’t be able to find them! We’re guessing because HTC promptly pulled them down but AndroLib hasn’t reflected the change. This is probably the same reason that our report of 20,000 apps yesterday was off by 4,000 apps.

Would HTC want to sell their widgets? It would provide LESS of a reason to purchase an Android Phone with HTC Sense but provide a LARGER audience with which to make a sale. HTC has formally been considered a hardware company and even with HTC Sense… they’re still largely a hardware maker but selling widgets/apps on Android Market to the masses would have them entering a new area.

Two questions:

1. What do you think is actually happening here – is HTC preparing to sell widgets on the market?
2. If they ARE planning the above – good idea or bad idea?

Nexus One vs. G1 comparison shot:
Nexus-One-Vs-G11.jpg

alternade

jonnybryce said:
So Sprint is introducing a new fee in January! :lol An oppurtunity to get out of contract without an ETF.

I'm currently on the Everything Plus 500 Plan for $59. T-Mobile just launched a comparable $59 plan, and Google Nav will cover my losing Telenav.

Come on Google, announce the details of this thing. Everything fell into place, I'll switch to T-Mobile for the Nexus!

Cool. Perfect time to get out of my family plan. Do you have a link to some documentation for this? Is there a period in which your allowed to cancel?

SimleuqiR said:
As far as I know, no. Supposedly it has a gig worth of internal memory for apps.

As far as i know, it has a faster GPU than the one in the iPhone, Pre etc.
Also, with Snapdragon, as well as being 1ghz, clock for clock, it is faster than the Arm Cortex A8 based cpu's seen in the iPhone, Pre & Droid.
Not got any source for this but take a look at the Qualcomm site as it's probably there somewhere.

Pimpwerx

alternade said:
Cool. Perfect time to get out of my family plan. Do you have a link to some documentation for this? Is there a period in which your allowed to cancel?
If true, I'll cancel and re-up using the employee discount someone posted a while back. PEACE.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I love how this AT&T phone is not even out yet but it's only gonna have Android 1.5 with blur, only google maps installed, use yahoo search, and not have gmail.com :lol

tokkun

Brettison said:
I love how this AT&T phone is not even out yet but it's only gonna have Android 1.5 with blur, only google maps installed, use yahoo search, and not have gmail.com :lol

Sent to die.

skybaby

skybaby said:
I'm thinking about getting the Milestone so here's a question: is the GPS navigation proprietary Motorola shit or is it Googlemaps android 2.0 style?
Quoting myself here with more info: The milestone in some countries does NOT come with googlemaps turn by turn navigation, but shitty ass MOTONAV crap
That's a deal breaker for me :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
skybaby said:
Quoting myself here with more info: The milestone in some countries does NOT come with googlemaps turn by turn navigation, but shitty ass MOTONAV crap
That's a deal breaker for me :(

Droid = Google Maps
Milestone = Motonav

at least you get multitouch/pinch to zoom!

skybaby

DrFunk said:
Droid = Google Maps
Milestone = Motonav

at least you get multitouch/pinch to zoom!
Yeah, but I'd rather wait for the google phone and have both. Hard to pass up on this deal I was offered though, it's quite tempting

Fuck. I am going to use the Sprint contract change to get out of my Palm Pre without any ETF and go back to Verizon and get the Droid, but if the rumors are true about the Nexus One launching January 5th, I am very tempted.

Do you think we will have anymore solid launch details before Christmas/end of year? I was hoping to get the Droid for Christmas, but I might have to postpone until I see what's up with this phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom