• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

BlueMagic said:
Hardware-wise, I'm sure it is capable of doing multitouch, it's because of the Apple patent on multitouch that they have to lock it, but software-wise (I read that on this thread, I believe).

I don't understand this, if Apple has a patent on it how is the Pre and HTC software getting away with it? The Pre has had multi-touch ingrained in the whole system since launch and the only thing Apple threatened them about was their shady iTunes syncing.

Pctx

Banned
Husker86 said:
I don't understand this, if Apple has a patent on it how is the Pre and HTC software getting away with it? The Pre has had multi-touch ingrained in the whole system since launch and the only thing Apple threatened them about was their shady iTunes syncing.
HTC is scared that they'll get slapped with a lawsuit. Quite frankly I think it's f'ning retarded for Apple to have a "patent" on multi-touch devices as it seems like what they're doing is patenting the input movement which is industry stifling.

I hope that multi-touch gets turned on in the near future and that Apple can go suck a lemon when it comes to this stuff.

Dipswitch

Husker86 said:

I'm guessing because Apple considers them small potatoes from a units sold/public visibility perspective. Google on the other hand poses a real threat to Apple with Android.

Pound to a penny Apple will show teeth the second multi-touch is enabled in Android.

EDIT: Beat

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Pctx said:
HTC is scared that they'll get slapped with a lawsuit. Quite frankly I think it's f'ning retarded for Apple to have a "patent" on multi-touch devices as it seems like what they're doing is patenting the input movement which is industry stifling.

I hope that multi-touch gets turned on in the near future and that Apple can go suck a lemon when it comes to this stuff.
Supposedly, one of the Eclair features was enabling multi-touch in the keyboard to enhance typing accuracy.

So, who knows...

Iknos

Knowing nothing about phones or HTC and Google as corporations...it just seems to be me that Google should just buy up HTC. Incorporate Sense UI into all the phones. Use them as a manufacturing platform to get into the phone market.

What I just said could sound as stupid as that Gizmodo article. :) I know very little about the phone industry and about Google's ambitions here. From my n00b perspective it looks like it's something that should happen though.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Iknos said:
Knowing nothing about phones or HTC and Google as corporations...it just seems to be me that Google should just buy up HTC. Incorporate Sense UI into all the phones. Use them as a manufacturing platform to get into the phone market.

What I just said could sound as stupid as that Gizmodo article. :) I know very little about the phone industry and about Google's ambitions here. From my n00b perspective it looks like it's something that should happen though.

It sounds like a good idea, and I think Google should do it.

Buuuuut, HTC is a lot bigger than they used to be. When they bought that design firm, they blew up. Now they have commercials everywhere.

tokkun

According to FCC filings, it appears the X10 will support T-Mobile's 3G. Not that anyone expected AT&T to get a high-profile Android phone.

Totakeke

It is kinda crazy that T-Mobile is rumored to get all three snapdragon phones at this point.

Nexus One, X10 and HD2?

That can't be right.

DrFunk

Totakeke said:
It is kinda crazy that T-Mobile is rumored to get all three snapdragon phones at this point.

Nexus One, X10 and HD2?

That can't be right.
T-Mo's HD2 ROM has already been spotted. So that's one at least

SimleuqiR

tokkun said:
According to FCC filings, it appears the X10 will support T-Mobile's 3G. Not that anyone expected AT&T to get a high-profile Android phone.
Goddamit! The waiting is killing me. Nexus or the X10.

As a day-one G1 owned, I haven't been keeping up with the hardware.

However, I just lost my phone.

If I am going to replace it, I might as well look into upgrading. What's faster than the G1 and works on T-Mobile, or a good place to find out? (Preferably rootable?)

I would wait, but I kinda need a phone soon.

Totakeke

Ignatz Mouse said:
As a day-one G1 owned, I haven't been keeping up with the hardware.

However, I just lost my phone.

If I am going to replace it, I might as well look into upgrading. What's faster than the G1 and works on T-Mobile, or a good place to find out? (Preferably rootable?)

I would wait, but I kinda need a phone soon.

Unfortunately, it's another G1 or MyTouch at the moment, unless you're willing to import a HTC Hero.

tokkun

Totakeke said:

Nexus One, X10 and HD2?

That can't be right.

Well, their parent company made some statements this year about being unhappy with the progress T-Mobile US has been making in the market. It may be that they are aggressively going after the desirable phones. It does seem weird that the smallest carrier would be launching 3 top-tier phones in the first quarter. But,

Nexus One - All other Google Dev phones have been T-Mobile, so it makes sense that the newest one would be too.

X10 - SE only makes GSM phones so it has to be T-Mobile or AT&T. AT&T does not seem to be getting any competitive Android phones (either by choice or in order to keep Apple happy). So T-Mobile is the only option unless they want to sell unlocked with AT&T's frequencies.

HD2 - AT&T and Verizon both launched variants of the Diamond 2 recently, so maybe they didn't think they needed another thin, keyboard-less, WM 6.5 device.

Totakeke said:
Unfortunately, it's another G1 or MyTouch at the moment, unless you're willing to import a HTC Hero.

Looks like the Cliq or Moment as well. Moment does not move me, Cliq interests me. Don't love the build, but more memory = good.

Then again, I may just get a used G1-- I liked it well enough.

Totakeke

Oh yeah, forgot about the Cliq, but isn't Moment on Sprint?

Cliq is decent enough if you want a change of UI.

Since no one has posted this yet, I might as well.

5x61rr.jpg

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009...phones-to-hit-verizon-wireless-in-early-2010/

Motorola Calgary/Devour, set to be on Verizon with Android 2.1 and lower specs than the Droid. Looks good enough if not a bit too much plastic/rubber. For a younger crowd perhaps?

Totakeke said:
Motorola Calgary/Devour, set to be on Verizon with Android 2.1 and lower specs than the Droid. Looks good enough if not a bit too much plastic/rubber. For a younger crowd perhaps?

It's definitely targeted towards the Sidekick crowd. That screen looks tiny (sub-3inches?).

Looks like I am buying a used Mytouch on Criagstlist and resuming my wait until I am eligible for an official upgrade and better phones are out.

El Papa

Theere is a screenshot app, used to be free, but now it's paid. You can still find it free if you look hard enough.

The G1 has almost the same hardware as the mytouch and Hero, but half the ram. However, the G1's cpu is underclocked to 336 mhz, unlike the other 2. Cyanogen and enomther's 1.6 based roms for G1 have a hack the lets you set the cpu to 528 mhz, like it's bros (my mghz might be slightly off). There's also a 10meg ram hack. Both hacks help speed up the G1 considerably. I personally like enomther's rom, and feel it's the fastest.

I'd post links but i'm on my phone now. ;)

tokkun

El Papa said:
The G1 has almost the same hardware as the mytouch and Hero, but half the ram.

You are incorrect. Both the G1 and MyTouch have the same amount of RAM and it is not half of the Hero.

G1 & MyTouch: 192 MB
Hero: 288 MB

aoi tsuki

Totakeke said:

Nexus One, X10 and HD2?

That can't be right.
It's not Snapdragon but don't forget the Nokia 900, with it's ARM Cortex A8 and PowerVR SGC GPU. i'm shocked that T-Mobile is [supposedly] getting this many high end phones, and combined with the fact that there's less unlocked phones out there these days since they're going to directly carriers, i'm getting slightly more tempted to switch from AT&T.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Hey Rogers, fuck you.
HTC is not currently planning any Android 1.6 upgrades for Rogers Dream or Magic. Android 1.6 was only made available for “Google”-branded devices such as the G1. It is not available for HTC-branded products such as the Dream or Magic, which use Android 1.5. We believe that Android 1.5 is a stable and reliable software platform that delivers a terrific user experience.
That has to be the funniest and saddest thing I've read in a while.

Totakeke

It looks kinda thick, but it does have Xenon flash. A first for Android phones?

1z237yb.jpg

• Android 2.0 with full suite of Google applications
  • Cortex A8 quad-core processor
  • WLAN (WAPI / WIFI) 802.11 b / g
  • Support for 3G (WCDMA / HSDPA 10.2M / HSUPA 5.76M)
  • 3.7-inch-wide touch-screen super FWVGA capacitance, 854X480 resolution, high-definition display
  • 5 million pixel auto-focus camera, Xenon flash
  • Built-in gravity sensor, infrared proximity sensors, ambient light sensor model
  • Android Market support (pending)
  • aGPS
  • 32GB Micro-SD(HC)
  • FM Stereo FM radio
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
  • Fashion Touch Interface
  • 3.5 mm headphone jack

27zm694.jpg

• Android 2.0 with full suite of Google applications
  • CDMA EVDO / GSM dual-network
  • 3G network support, WIFI / WAPI free switching
  • 3.7-inch high-definition resolution of 854×480
  • HDMI high-definition (720p) output
  • 5 million pixel digital camera, auto focus, dual LED flash
  • Cortex TM – A8 multi-core processor
  • MOTO-specific Nicam -professional intelligent noise reduction
  • GPS
  • 32GB Micro-SD
  • Electronic Compass & Support for gravity sensing
  • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
  • FM Stereo FM radio
  • Standard 3.5 mm headphone jack

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009...(Boy+Genius+Report)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Totakeke said:
Oh yeah, forgot about the Cliq, but isn't Moment on Sprint?

Cliq is decent enough if you want a change of UI.

Since no one has posted this yet, I might as well.

5x61rr.jpg

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009...phones-to-hit-verizon-wireless-in-early-2010/

Has there been any word of a 2.1 update for the Droid? If this thing has specs that the Droid it should certainly be able to handle it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
2.1 is coming it's just when. Someone already got the stock version of 2.1 on android on their own like last week, but it wasn't stable. Engadget has an update today saying someone got it on and it's stable now.

I have no doubt 2.1 will end up on the droid, but it might be mid to late January.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i want those droid tablet specs in the original droid, qwerty keyboard is needed! but damn 8.0MP w/ xenon flash. luv it.

nib95

Banned
Damn the Xt701 looks hot! Xenon flash FTW! When's it expected to come out? And how will it compare size wise to Nexus? It irks me that it's referred to a tablet and not a smart phone. Any particular reason for this? I'm going to assume it makes calls...

SimleuqiR

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

51326865-a7f463d42514364662ec12818d81096c.4b305dc4-full.jpg

I hope Google announces something soon. The wait for this phone is killing me.

I Saw the Nexus One… I Failed

While minding my own business on the E train this morning (that’s in NY, by the way), I saw a guy playing with his iPhone. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, I looked away and continued bobbing my head to the unbelievable sounds of A.F.I.’s Crash Love. A minute or two later, my eyes made their way back to this gentleman’s hands, where I was shocked to now see a sexy, sleek, extremely thin, Nexus One. It was the most beautiful piece of hardware I had ever seen. It made his iPhone look like an oversized brick. The trackball was tiny (in a good way), and the touch-sensitive buttons seemed minuscule in comparison to the large and beautiful screen. Unfortunately, I was too overwhelmed to analyze the phone before screwing up my photo op, but I can say this… It looks a million times better in person.

Raxus

It seems more or less like a droid eris with some actual power to back it up. So far rumors put it with a better processor and the 2.1 software and 8.1 Megapixel camera. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise that I didn't pick up the droid.

Totakeke

Raxus said:
It seems more or less like a droid eris with some actual power to back it up. So far rumors put it with a better processor and the 2.1 software and 8.1 Megapixel camera. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise that I didn't pick up the droid.

Now, now, there's enough room in the world for more than one awesome android phone.

I still wouldn't put hopes too much on the camera even if it really is 8.1MP, it's still made by HTC after all who doesn't exactly have a good track record with phone cameras that are more than decent.

DrFunk

Raxus said:

5mp

the Xperia has the 8mp camera

Off topic, I can't believe megapixel wankery is still present. I'm not talking about you guys -- just in general.

On topic, I really want that phone. I hope the larger screen improves typing on the on-screen keyboard.

nib95

Banned
Everything about the Nexus is sexy...except...for that GOD awful image on the back of the phone on that flag. WTF is that crap. Not only is it WAY too obtrusive taking up too much space, but it also looks like an over busy complicated fuzzy mess, on an otherwise very simple and slick device. I hope you can get rid of that crap.

nib95 said:
Everything about the Nexus is sexy...except...for that GOD awful image on the back of the phone on that flag. WTF is that crap. Not only is it WAY too obtrusive taking up too much space, but it also looks like an over busy complicated fuzzy mess, on an otherwise very simple and slick device. I hope you can get rid of that crap.
I hope you're not as angry as this post makes you sound.

That's a little easter egg for the Google employees that received the phone -- it's a QR code that leads to a Nexus-only Holiday-themed game. There's no reason for it to be on the retail version.

I like it, however. I hope they have a service that lets you put your contact details in QR form on the back of the phone. That way I can just let someone (with the required software) scan the code on my phone instead of giving them a business card.

SimleuqiR

Battersea Power Station said:
I hope you're not as angry as this post makes you sound.

That's a little easter egg for the Google employees that received the phone -- it's a QR code that leads to a Nexus-only Holiday-themed game. There's no reason for it to be on the retail version.

I like it, however. I hope they have a service that lets you put your contact details in QR form on the back of the phone. That way I can just let someone (with the required software) scan the code on my phone instead of giving them a business card.

Someone give this guy a job at Google! Stat!

That would be cool.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Nexus does look great... but it doesn't have a keyboard... but it might be unlocked and cheap...

Damn it, you hesitate for a moment and the next greatest thing pops up. :lol

SimleuqiR

Andrex said:
The Nexus does look great... but it doesn't have a keyboard... but it might be unlocked and cheap...

Welcome back.

womp

SimleuqiR said:
Someone give this guy a job at Google! Stat!

That would be cool.

Blackberries already do this, and yes, it is very cool. It is only natural if Google incorporates it into Android.

Andrex said:

I'm with you on the keyboard. I love the keyboard on my Touch Pro. I really want the Nexus One but I think I'm just going to wait for Sprint to get an Android phone with a keyboard.

Husker86

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm with you on the keyboard. I love the keyboard on my Touch Pro. I really want the Nexus One but I think I'm just going to wait for Sprint to get an Android phone with a keyboard.
I assume you already know, but judging from the wording in your post you may not. The Samsung Moment is a Sprint Android phone with a keyboard, though it is quite a brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom