• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
womp said:
Blackberries already do this, and yes, it is very cool. It is only natural if Google incorporates it into Android.
On the back of the phone?

Plus Android already has it, you just need t get Barcode Scanner and then the option appears in your contacts.

Husker86 said:
I assume you already know, but judging from the wording in your post you may not. The Samsung Moment is a Sprint Android phone with a keyboard, though it is quite a brick.

Well, I guess I left out some info. I want an Android phone with a keyboard from HTC.

I put 2.1 on my Droid.. the updated (mostly stable) rom..

There are some very nice changes here..

gallery finally got an update.. animated wallpaper.. new application screen..

music application is still the same :lol

SimleuqiR

Robobandit said:
I put 2.1 on my Droid.. the updated (mostly stable) rom..

There are some very nice changes here..

gallery finally got an update.. animated wallpaper.. new application screen..

music application is still the same :lol

That's why the X10 is so enticing. Seems they have a nice clone of the Media Center look for music and videos. Sucks that Android (Stock) is still lagging behind in this department.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/22/google-nexus-one-stands-with-iphone-and-hero-interface-gets-a-5/

The Google Nexus One trickle continues. Today's two menu items include a 5-minute demonstration of the Android 2.1 interface -- shaky, sure, but it's a pretty thorough rundown of all the menus. We're also serving up some low-resolution picture comparisons of the Nexus One laying side-by-side with the iPhone and HTC Hero. It still eludes us how all these leaking parties don't seem to have in their possession a decent DSLR or camcorder (feel free to give us a buzz, we'll gladly help out). Video after the break.

tabsina

I'm sure it has been asked before.. but what are the differences in size between the nexus one and the 3g/3gs (screen and body dimensions)

DrFunk

Bluemercury said:
Still not sure if i should wait for nexus or go straight to Milestone/Droid.

do you want a keyboard or not? That's really the only difference between the two

DrFunk said:
do you want a keyboard or not? That's really the only difference between the two

I wouldn't say that, theres some pretty substantial spec differences between the two. The big one being the processor.

Darkman M

Bluemercury said:
yep i prefer physical keyboard, my fear is that Droid wont be as supported as Nexus....

Seems like the droid is the poster boy for Android phones, id be shocked if the Nexus advertisement comes close to what verzion did with droid.

Darkman M said:
Seems like the droid is the poster boy for Android phones, id be shocked if the Nexus advertisement comes close to what verzion did with droid.

Well, if the Nexus One becomes Google's flagship phone (that is, supported by Google themselves), it'll probably get updates and such infinitely faster than every other Android phone on the market, and it may even get exclusive, experimental stuff. If it's just "another" Android phone, then the Droid will probably remain on par with it, as far as updates go.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
silentspork said:
I wouldn't say that, theres some pretty substantial spec differences between the two. The big one being the processor.

What's the Nexus's rumored processor?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vyse The Legend said:
It's a 1GHz Snapdragon.

Oooh right. That could definitely make a difference.

If I were in charge of designing the Nexus, I'd somehow cram all the US CDMA/GSM radios into it just to make sure anyone can buy it off the shelf and use it on their network of choice.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
would it be a big mistake to get a windows mobile phone over an android phone right now?

im deciding between 2 phones right now, and the windows mobile one just looks soooo much sexier

has anyone here tried the LG eve?

El Papa

Battersea Power Station said:
I hope they have a service that lets you put your contact details in QR form on the back of the phone. That way I can just let someone (with the required software) scan the code on my phone instead of giving them a business card.
You can do that with the Zebra Xing Barcode Scanner. Been available since Market opened.

qwjpucs.jpg

-COOLIO- said:
would it be a big mistake to get a windows mobile phone over an android phone right now?

im deciding between 2 phones right now, and the windows mobile one just looks soooo much sexier

I like my Winmo phone but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Android. The only Winmo phone I'd possibly pick over an Android is the HD2

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Jamesfrom818 said:
I like my Winmo phone but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with Android. The only Winmo phone I'd possibly pick over an Android is the HD2
i c

i c

i think the lg eve it is then

nib95

Banned
I'm really liking the sound of this Nexus. Camera is a bit noisy/blotchy. But otherwise in some shots it does an admirable job.

Nexus-One-Camera-2.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, that's definitely a fantastic picture. But lighting has always been the bane of Android photos.

Bluemercury said:
Damn that just sold me for a nexus instead for a Droid. too bad about no keyboard...:S

I'm quite pleased with my Droid. The article makes it sound as if its completely inadequate when its really not, its the best Android phone on the market right now.

My decision to get the Droid was partially based on the network. I payed a premium to get off of AT&T when Verizon started selling the Droid and I'm very glad I did. The Nexus One has nicer specs, but its a GSM phone so in the US its going to be stuck on either T-Mobile or AT&T for the time being which is unfortunate.

SimleuqiR

This is probably the best screen we've seen on a smartphone so far. Probably.

Cannot wait to get my hands on this thing. Hopefully the Jan 5th rumors pan out and we at least get a real release date then.

DrFunk

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/23/exclusive-nexus-one-full-specs-detailed-invite-only-retail-sal/

We know you're itching to get your hands on a Nexus One -- Google's managed to build buzz here the way only a couple companies in the world know how. Unfortunately, it sounds like you're going to need to cross your fingers (or pull out that eBay emergency stash) to get one out of the gate, because we've got some intel here suggesting that it'll be available only by "invitation" at first. Our tipster doesn't have information on how those invites are going to be determined, other than the fact that it's Google doing the inviting -- if we had to guess, current registered developers are a strong possibility -- but the good news, we suppose, is that T-Mobile will apparently sell the phone directly at some to-be-determined point in the future.

Oh, but that's not all -- we've got specs, too. Lots of them. Here are the highlights, but follow the break for the whole shebang:

* Android 2.1
* 11.5mm thick
* 512MB RAM, 512MB ROM, 4GB microSD in-box expandable to 32GB
* 5 megapixel camera with mechanical AF and LED flash
* HSPA 900 / 1700 / 2100, 7.2Mbps down and 2Mbps up -- in other words, yes to T-Mobile 3G and no to AT&T 3G, though you'll still be fine on EDGE
* 3.7-inch WVGA AMOLED display

nexus-one-specs-1-2.jpg

Edit: It's Android 2.0

nexus-one-specs-2.jpg

nexus-one-specs-3.jpg

tokkun

How can it be Android 2.0? It has features that are not in Droid's 2.0.1 or in Hero's leaked 2.1. This versioning thing is getting really confusing.

Vyse The Legend said:
Snapdragon 1GHz confirmed:

I assume that "<<confirm>>" means that it has not been confirmed yet.

Also, 512Mb ram and 512Mb rom are awesome.

512 MB ram may be bad news for owners of existing Android phones thinking they had an upgrade path over the next few years. How long until Android becomes too big to fit in the MyTouch's 192 MB?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ooooh... AMOLED. But if I have to wait long for this phone, I might just decide to wait it out for the X10 to release, too. Then I can decide side by side.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Those specs don't seem to include a separate video chip - should that be a cause for concern?
EDIT: I mean for 3D, primarily.

Also, how is the longevity of AMOLED screens?

WoodWERD

I must be missing something, why was this hyped as a game changer if it's going to end up only on T-Mobile? Is this just like a timed exclusive and will eventually roll out to other carriers or what? One day I'll find a suitable upgrade on Sprint...one day. :(

DrFunk

Tobor said:
So T-Mobile 3G only? DOA confirmed.

I can...kinda see where you're coming from here. T-Mobile's 3G footprint is really small. But aren't they due for a major expansion soon? Maybe that'll increase the size, instead of leaving all of it's users on Edge.

I must be missing something, why was this hyped as a game changer if it's going to end up only on T-Mobile? Is this just like a timed exclusive and will eventually roll out to other carriers or what? One day I'll find a suitable upgrade on Sprint...one day. :(

As far as I know, Google never said it was a "game-changer"...that's what others hyped it up as. As far as it rolling out to other carriers, who knows

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Skittleguy said:
Knowing Rogers, probably.
so even if android is terrible for rogers phones, is it still the best choice? browsing their selection, i dunno if anything else looks more promising.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
-COOLIO- said:
so even if android is terrible for rogers phones, is it still the best choice? browsing their selection, i dunno if anything else looks more promising.
If you're willing to do some additional work, the Magic is probably your best bet. Once it's rooted, it's a God phone.

If you're willing to make the jump though, people are speculating that Telus will be launching the Droid sometime in the new year.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Skittleguy said:
If you're willing to do some additional work, the Magic is probably your best bet. Once it's rooted, it's a God phone.

If you're willing to make the jump though, people are speculating that Telus will be launching the Droid sometime in the new year.
rooting sounds good. but would magic android 2.0 phones work well in canada?

anyway, i think ill give it a shot. shouldnt be too hard right?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
-COOLIO- said:
rooting sounds good. but would magic android 2.0 phones work well in canada?

anyway, i think ill give it a shot. shouldnt be too hard right?
The problem with 2.0 for the time being is the lack of proper drivers for the Dream/Magic. As a result, the roms will work, but certain things (camera, bluetooth) won't. Of course, assuming that the article I posted earlier in the thread was correct, the G1/MyTouch3G will be getting a 2.0 update sometime in Q1, so backporting to work with the Rogers Dream/Magic shouldn't be a problem.

In the meantime though, there are a few 1.6 roms (Amon-Ra's, Cyanogenmod) and a few Sense-UI ports (CursorSense, MyHero) that work really well with the Magic.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=493

The main reason I recommend the Magic over the dream is the increased ram (288MB/192MB).

As for rooting.

Raxus

T mobile has some of the best prices in the market and is GSM (a big plus for me) but how bad is the coverage for edge and 3g?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom