• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
Raxus said:
T mobile has some of the best prices in the market and is GSM (a big plus for me) but how bad is the coverage for edge and 3g?
Coverage isn't terrible but not great either. I get 3G at home and barely any 3G at work in some spots.

Honestly though, it's not a deal breaker as Tmo's Edge network I would say is even faster than AT&T's. :lol And THAT is saying something.

With the HD2 passed the FCC and now the specs fully dumped on this one... and invite only for the first month(s)... Google is making this one a tough cookie to get. Can't wait though!

Husker86

Raxus said:
T mobile has some of the best prices in the market and is GSM (a big plus for me) but how bad is the coverage for edge and 3g?

Just look at the coverage map on their website, nationwide is pretty disappointing. Unless you're in an area that says it has T-Mobile 3G and are just trying to get anecdotal opinions from others in the same situation.

Raxus said:

My coverage in Chicago is pretty great, but I hear it's not so good elsewhere.

gimmmick

kaching said:
Those specs don't seem to include a separate video chip - should that be a cause for concern?
EDIT: I mean for 3D, primarily.

Also, how is the longevity of AMOLED screens?

It would have been nice, but I doubt gaming is the primary focus on this phone. I know it isn't for me.

womp

Skittleguy said:
On the back of the phone?

Plus Android already has it, you just need t get Barcode Scanner and then the option appears in your contacts.

No, it's in the phone, you scan it off the screen when prompted. Same thing, just not advertised on the back battery hatch.

My point was that it is already being done and is nothing new. It'll fit right at home on the Android platform and is great.

Raxus

Ignatz Mouse said:
My coverage in Chicago is pretty great, but I hear it's not so good elsewhere.
The only reason I am hesitant about T-Mobile is because it's coverage is admittedly spotty. But I live in Louisville Kentucky which is a relatively large city so I hope the new network expansions they did when we with verizon would still effect us.

If verizon weren't such pricks with their data plans maybe we would have stuck with him and I would be getting a droid by the end of the year but as is T mobile is offering my whole family smart phones, unlimited internet and texting , more minutes all for half the cost Verizon would offer us.

Hopefully there is a trial period so if it doesn't work out service wise we can get out of the contract.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Skittleguy said:
The problem with 2.0 for the time being is the lack of proper drivers for the Dream/Magic. As a result, the roms will work, but certain things (camera, bluetooth) won't. Of course, assuming that the article I posted earlier in the thread was correct, the G1/MyTouch3G will be getting a 2.0 update sometime in Q1, so backporting to work with the Rogers Dream/Magic shouldn't be a problem.

In the meantime though, there are a few 1.6 roms (Amon-Ra's, Cyanogenmod) and a few Sense-UI ports (CursorSense, MyHero) that work really well with the Magic.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=493

The main reason I recommend the Magic over the dream is the increased ram (288MB/192MB).

As for rooting.

cool, thanks for the help bro

kaching said:
Those specs don't seem to include a separate video chip - should that be a cause for concern?
EDIT: I mean for 3D, primarily.

Also, how is the longevity of AMOLED screens?

gimmmick said:
It would have been nice, but I doubt gaming is the primary focus on this phone. I know it isn't for me.

Pretty sure the Snapdragon is a SOC (not just a CPU) and as such already includes an extremely fast GPU.

The <<confirm>> could be do do with either the frequency or whether they use the 8250 as there are other variants (and a ridiculously fast new one out soon but that will probably be for netbooks).

Look here for specs. The new dual core is going to be lightning fast!
http://www.qctconnect.com/products/snapdragon.html

As for AMOLED longevity.. if you mean in terms of battery, they are better than LCD. in terms of how long they last, I think they have pretty damn good lifespans these days.

MrJames

So is the Nexus One basically a rebadged HTC Passion that's been rumored in recent months or are they completely different phones?

tokkun

MrJames said:
So is the Nexus One basically a rebadged HTC Passion that's been rumored in recent months or are they completely different phones?

It's tough to say since there were never any firm details about the Passion, but it seems that way.

I would hesitate to call it 'rebadged' unless an HTC version of the Passion comes to market. Yes, it's built by HTC, but the iPhone is built by Foxconn and no one refers to the iPhone as a "rebranded Foxconn <insert codename>"

Those of you that are planning on buying the N1 unlocked, what's your price limit? How much are u willing to spend? If the phone is higher than $399, im not touching it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I can't decide. I'm waiting a while to see how this roger's android update thing develops but i'm pretty sure that i'm going to end up with a LG EVE/GW620 or the HTC Magic unless they say they will flat out never update the firmware.

i'm in canada, and winter is a factor so im thinking the resistant touchscreen of the eve would be better suited to me. i also tend to drop stuff every now and then and i want this phone to last 3 years :\

but i've heard the HTC Magic is a more powerful phone and it seems a bit smaller. it also has a GPS that you can use without data

they're both $0.99 with the 3 year at rogers.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If it's more than $399, I'm not touching it either. I'd rather wait for the Bravo. At least it comes with Sense.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd like to think Google is smart enough to price the phone $200-300, but then again Apple set a dangerous precedent with the first iPhone being released at $600. Hopefully Google doesn't think they can get away with matching that.

Iron_Scimitar said:
Those of you that are planning on buying the N1 unlocked, what's your price limit? How much are u willing to spend? If the phone is higher than $399, im not touching it.
My girlfriend and I currently have a standard family plan with T-Mobile and are going to migrate to an Even More Plus plan to get this phone. EM+ has you buy phones without a contract and at full retail price, while offering an installment plan to pay off the cost of the phone(s) over an extended period of time. Our credit allows us to purchase equipment worth up to $1200 and pay it off in 20 installments, so as long as the phone isn't more than $600 unlocked, we're both going to get one as soon as its available. Keep in mind that you have to purchase your phone in a retail store if you want EIP available as a payment option.

I'm willing to pay so much for an unlocked phone because if I don't, I'll have to either pay a ridiculously high ETF to switch to another carrier or wait until May to upgrade to a new smartphone/contract. This allows me to stay with T-Mobile, not pay a ridiculous cancellation fee, get my snazzy new smartphone now (soon), and pay for it over the course of the next 20 months.

Raistlin

Can someone explain why all of the powerful Android phones are skipping out on Verizon support? It's the biggest network in the US.

It boggles my mind that even Google's phone is going with T-Mobile. WTF?

Crateman

Quoting myself from the Android Apps thread:
Crateman said:
Just a quick info nugget for fellow Motorola Cliq/Dext users:

We got root.

That means we will have custom ROMs soon... and I can't wait to get Cyanogen or a 2.0 based ROM on my Dext.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cliq/Dext has slightly better hardware than the G1, MyTouch, etc... right? Ported Cyanogen ROMs should fly with the increased RAM.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Crateman said:
Quoting myself from the Android Apps thread:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cliq/Dext has slightly better hardware than the G1, MyTouch, etc... right? Ported Cyanogen ROMs should fly with the increased RAM.
Depends. Hardware differences might make porting tricker.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Onix said:
Can someone explain why all of the powerful Android phones are skipping out on Verizon support? It's the biggest network in the US.

Er, the Motorola Droid is the fastest Android phone out right now (with a beautiful screen also) and it's on Verizon. I'll go out on a short limb and say the Eris is also the best HTC Android phone out right now, too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
LINK.AGE76 said:
I was trying to look for prices for the N1 and all I see is 200, that would be crazy if true. When can we expect a concrete price tag?

If it's coming out in January, then probably any day now... But I don't know if the "invites" news threw a wrench into that.

Andrex said:
If it's coming out in January, then probably any day now... But I don't know if the "invites" news threw a wrench into that.

It is possible for a phone with such specs to be priced 200 dollars unlocked? I would buy 2 of true :lol

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
LINK.AGE76 said:
It is possible for a phone with such specs to be priced 200 dollars unlocked? I would buy 2 of true :lol
Not unless Google wants to eat $300 or more on each phone sold and while Google does have a lot of money, they aren't going to do that. Remember, they aren't manufacturing the N1, HTC is, and HTC definitely isn't going to take a bath on a phone with the specs of the N1.

Pimpwerx

Time to send out Xmas greetings and hound my friend again about that phone. I'm sure all those pics rolling in are coming from people who got their "gifts" early. Why do I have to know people who actually follow the rules? :( PEACE.

TxdoHawk

$300 for an unlocked smartphone? I wouldn't hold my breath. The Droid goes for something like $549 off-contract, and based on what I've seen so far this phone smokes it specs-wise.

This puts me in a tough spot though...I'm currently with Verizon and enjoying a service discount, but the Nexus One (aside from a lack of keyboard) is making the Droid look less and less attractive by the day.

SimleuqiR

Onix said:

I you want to believe rumors....Verizon turn the N1 down. As the biggest network in the USA they get to call the shots...just like they originally turned down the iPhone. Maybe it being on T-mobile's network had nothing to do with T-mobile chasing this phone down as an exclusive.

womp

TxdoHawk said:
$300 for an unlocked smartphone? I wouldn't hold my breath. The Droid goes for something like $549 off-contract, and based on what I've seen so far this phone smokes it specs-wise.

This puts me in a tough spot though...I'm currently with Verizon and enjoying a service discount, but the Nexus One (aside from a lack of keyboard) is making the Droid look less and less attractive by the day.

The Droid is still in the top tier either way and a few months after the Nexus comes out it too will be trumped as well...It's just Moore's Law in motion. A reason why I stopped 'waiting for the next thing' to come along and go with the best out at the moment. Plus with Verizon you get a discounted yearly upgrade anyhow.

The main technical aspect the Nexus has over the Droid at the moment is a snappier processor, otherwise both are going to be great phones...Besides, I'll take my Verizon and a physical keyboard.

Just my 2 cents worth. Bottom line - You can't go wrong, Android kicks ass. :D

Plus don't forget that the Droid will be getting 2.1 as well.

womp said:
The main technical aspect the Nexus has over the Droid at the moment is a snappier processor, otherwise both are going to be great phones...Besides, I'll take my Verizon and a physical keyboard.
l.

I would argue that the Nexus One's rumored 512Mb of RAM (the Droid has 256) is just as important as its processor.

Still, for me, the true allure of the NexusOne is the rumor that it will be supported directly by Google. That could potentially mean first dibs on all future Android updates and, quite possibly, exclusive features as well. But, until we hear more from Google, this is all conjecture.

Piano

Banned
Since there isn't a dedicated thread for it, what are people's opinions of the Droid Eris? I'm on Verizon, so no Nexus One for me - and even though it has a slower processor, I noticed no sluggishness when I played with it in the store. I've had to get my trash LG phone replaced twice in the past 9 months, so I'm fixing to just go ahead and move on.

Any impressions?

Raistlin

XMonkey said:
Er, the Motorola Droid is the fastest Android phone out right now (with a beautiful screen also) and it's on Verizon. I'll go out on a short limb and say the Eris is also the best HTC Android phone out right now, too.

The problem with Droid is that 3 vastly more powerful phones are hitting within a few months of its launch.

SimleuqiR said:
I you want to believe rumors....Verizon turn the N1 down. As the biggest network in the USA they get to call the shots...just like they originally turned down the iPhone. Maybe it being on T-mobile's network had nothing to do with T-mobile chasing this phone down as an exclusive.

That sucks :(

But that doesn't really stop companies from releasing unlocked phones that support the network does it?

Pctx

Banned
Onix said:
The problem with Droid is that 3 vastly more powerful phones are hitting within a few months of its launch.

That sucks :(

But that doesn't really stop companies from releasing unlocked phones that support the network does it?
Blame Verizon for using CDMA.

Droid having 2.x until end of 2009 is what Verizon paid for... but as soon as 1/1/10 hits, all bets are off on which phone will be the king of the Android OS.

I am pissed though that we don't have any launch info at this point.... hurry up google!

Raistlin

Pctx said:
Blame Verizon for using CDMA.

That still doesn't address the point though. To my knowledge, plenty of phones have been released that include CDMA but aren't subsized by Verizon (ie, you need to purchase them unlocked). I'm just confused why this isn't the case with any of the snapdragon phones. Not a one.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Onix said:

Vastly? I doubt that. From what I've seen of 2.1 running on a Droid, it's every bit as snappy as the N1.

After taking another look at the X10, im once again faced w/ the dillema, as many of you probably are...

Pay the ~$400 for the unlocked N1 and suffer w/ EDGE on AT&T and have fuck awesome device n January.

-or-

Wait for the X10 for AT&T...whenever that'll be.

If both phone match up spec wise, then i'll just wait for the X10. I really wish that the X10 would ship w/ vanilla 2.x because all that blue shit is annoying to look at.

Husker86

Onix said:
That still doesn't address the point though. To my knowledge, plenty of phones have been released that include CDMA but aren't subsized by Verizon (ie, you need to purchase them unlocked). I'm just confused why this isn't the case with any of the snapdragon phones. Not a one.
What "unlocked" CDMA phones have you seen?

Any reviews on the LG Eve?

Im not a big LG phone fan, but my rogers 3 year contract is almost up, and I can get it for 30 bucks, Id much rather have some other Android phones, but Rogers doesnt have the best selection. I should probably get the Magic anyway, but if the Eve is decent, I kinda want the keyboard.

mAcOdIn

Husker86 said:
Right? Well, I guess there are those few Motorola and Blackberry world phones that are CDMA and GSM, those are "unlocked," those are the only unlocked CDMA phones I'm aware of, I've sure never thought there were "plenty."

Husker86

mAcOdIn said:
Right? Well, I guess there are those few Motorola and Blackberry world phones that are CDMA and GSM, those are "unlocked," those are the only unlocked CDMA phones I'm aware of, I've sure never thought there were "plenty."
Also, CDMA carriers, at least the big ones, don't allow phones that aren't theirs to be activated on their service. Verizon said they would allow any phone that can work on their network to be activated, but they didn't seem to follow through with that. The Blackberry phones that are GSM/CDMA are subsidized by the respective CDMA networks anyway...so I think it's safe to categorize the large CDMA networks as closed, which sucks.

Raistlin

XMonkey said:
Vastly? I doubt that. From what I've seen of 2.1 running on a Droid, it's every bit as snappy as the N1.

Technically speaking, the difference is pretty large. That doesn't mean you'll see it simply when using the OS.

Husker86 said:

I've seen some world phones that have it. Plenty was the wrong word, but they exist.

My question still remains however. Unlocked CDMA phones exist, so why isn't anyone doing a snapdragon phone with it since Verizon is so huge in the US? If the N1 does indeed end up as the 'google phone', the question becomes even more curious. Why would google, whose biggest market is in the US, not offer something that supports the largest 3G network?

Raistlin

Husker86 said:
Also, CDMA carriers, at least the big ones, don't allow phones that aren't theirs to be activated on their service. Verizon said they would allow any phone that can work on their network to be activated, but they didn't seem to follow through with that. The Blackberry phones that are GSM/CDMA are subsidized by the respective CDMA networks anyway...so I think it's safe to categorize the large CDMA networks as closed, which sucks.

If that's the case, than that sucks :( ... and I retract my question.

Though it still begs why hasn't anyone gone after Verizon to get a snapdragon phone on their network, unless of course the big V told them to fuck themselves?

Pctx

Banned
Onix said:
Technically speaking, the difference is pretty large. That doesn't mean you'll see it simply when using the OS.

I've seen some world phones that have it. Plenty was the wrong word, but they exist.

My question still remains however. Unlocked CDMA phones exist, so why isn't anyone doing a snapdragon phone with it since Verizon is so huge in the US? If the N1 does indeed end up as the 'google phone', the question becomes even more curious. Why would google, whose biggest market is in the US, not offer something that supports the largest 3G network?

You have hope for other Snapdragon phones coming to the Verizon network and I wouldn't be surprised to see Droid v2 in 2010 either.

Also it seems with the upcoming Qualcom chips that do both CDMA/GSM all together, the newer chipsets will allow you to roam between the world networks and not be tied to one exclusively which is what Google is trying to accomplish by being on the forefront of that movement with the N1.

Raistlin

Pctx said:
You have hope for other Snapdragon phones coming to the Verizon network and I wouldn't be surprised to see Droid v2 in 2010 either.

Also it seems with the upcoming Qualcom chips that do both CDMA/GSM all together, the newer chipsets will allow you to roam between the world networks and not be tied to one exclusively which is what Google is trying to accomplish by being on the forefront of that movement with the N1.

Wait, I'm confused. I thought the N1 did not support CDMA? So it potentially being the 'google phone' is what was confusing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom