• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

prodystopian said:
*How much bandwidth is required for VoIP versus regular voice the way it is implemented now?

It depends on the degree of compression in your codec. In general, in ideal operation, it is about 40-80kbps for VoIP. Not really that much.

Pimpwerx

Vyse The Legend said:
The phone is real. No one is saying it's not. It is not, however, the fabled Google Phone, i.e. a phone designed for VOiP that will revolutionize the phone industry. It's just an HTC phone that is heading to T-Mobile, and it will, more than likely, be sold directly by Google as the ADP3, because it uses SnapDragon and a WVGA screen.
Oh, I never understood the appeal of the plan anyway. It sounded pretty stupid, and besides, I think a lot of us recently tied ourselves to new contracts anyway, so it's not like there's a great deal of benefit in it. I'm hoping my buddy gives me his in Jan, eventhough I'm on Sprint. I could always borrow my ex's SIM card to activate it anyway. PEACE.

If this phone materializes on T-Mobile, i'll switch from AT&T. Their unlimited plans are cheaper and their data coverage in my area looks to be as solid as AT&T's.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm confused. I thought the person who confirmed the stories was a top insider, at least that's the impression I got from the past few pages. How did Apple get invoiced exactly? Where are Andrex and Hawkian anyway? Usually they'd be all over this...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
tokkun said:
Third, for some reason people seem to think that Google is this sort of magic corporation that can overcome any sort of financial barriers.
They're not magic, but they do take a rather unorthodox approach to "financial barriers" that does raise the question how they might approach the cellphone market if they start producing they're own hardware.

pxleyes

Banned
3D app pane confirmed.
device4.png

Look at the very bottom. Very slick if it rolls up like that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Skittleguy said:
Andrex is banned. And we're dealing with second/third hand info from the internets.
Woe is they who is we.

tokkun said:
It depends on the degree of compression in your codec. In general, in ideal operation, it is about 40-80kbps for VoIP. Not really that much.

Any idea what they use for the current voice plans on cell networks?

tokkun

prodystopian said:
Any idea what they use for the current voice plans on cell networks?

I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to make a direct comparison of the two, because voice technology uses dedicated slots whereas (I assume) data does not. I think it would make more sense to compare the number of simultaneous users that could be supported on voice versus VoIP on a given tower, and I don't have access to that information. There is also a question of QoS for VoIP if you are not getting dedicated slots.

tokkun said:
I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to make a direct comparison of the two, because voice technology uses dedicated slots whereas (I assume) data does not. I think it would make more sense to compare the number of simultaneous users that could be supported on voice versus VoIP on a given tower, and I don't have access to that information. There is also a question of QoS for VoIP if you are not getting dedicated slots.

Good point. I was just hoping someone in here could give a detailed comparison of how it would look to the carriers (VoIP vs. the current method).

tokkun

prodystopian said:
Good point. I was just hoping someone in here could give a detailed comparison of how it would look to the carriers (VoIP vs. the current method).

They will not be happy about it because they make a lot of money selling voice minutes and texting plans. I think this will be the biggest barrier, rather than tech.

Pimpwerx

pxleyes said:
3D app pane confirmed.
device4.png

Look at the very bottom. Very slick if it rolls up like that.
I'm not a fan of this. I mean, it changes very little from the current setup, but just seems excessive. Any stolen clock cycles for excesses like 3D menus could be better spent IMO. PEACE.

Totakeke

They have to show off all that extra processing power somehow..

I'm not putting much stock into the current rumors of the phone selling unlocked at 200 or lower yet, but I think you guys are thinking too much on the voip only implications.

At that price, it doesn't really matter whether you'll be using the phone with a contract or not, even if you get a contract, you can simply sell off the carrier subsidized phone and still get the Nexus One which is at the forefront of a new generation of phone hardware at very low cost. There's nothing stopping it from selling truckloads at that price point.

tokkun said:
They will not be happy about it because they make a lot of money selling voice minutes and texting plans. I think this will be the biggest barrier, rather than tech.

I absolutely agree. That was what I was saying at the bottom of the last page. The only thing that makes me think it might be possible is the opening of that spectrum (LTE I think?), though I remember there being some snags with it not being completely open.

El Papa

Pctx said:
Go read his post history. Pretty easy to see why.
Yeah, well I'm browsing on my phone right now so I wanted someone to link me, but w/e. I figured there was an epic meltdown or something dramatic.

tokkun

prodystopian said:
I absolutely agree. That was what I was saying at the bottom of the last page. The only thing that makes me think it might be possible is the opening of that spectrum (LTE I think?), though I remember there being some snags with it not being completely open.

I think the real question is net neutrality. If cell phone operators are forced to follow its principles, they couldn't stop someone from using VoIP for all their calls.

The madness continues: Google has trademarked the name "Nexus One."

googlenexus.jpg

For many bloggers/conspiracy theorists this raises one important question: If they had no commercial plans to sell the Nexus One directly to the mainstream consumer, why would they trademark the name? After all, they didn't trademark Google Dream (developer phone 1, aka the G1) or Google Ion (developer phone 2, aka MyTouch). Also, a trademark means T-Mobile and HTC can't use the name without Google's permission, right? It's rather odd...

Personally, I doubt this is little more than the ADP3, but this move does suggest there might be more to this all than meets the eye.

tokkun

Vyse The Legend said:
For many bloggers/conspiracy theorists this raises one important question: If they had no commercial plans to sell the Nexus One to the mainstream consumer, why would they trademark the name? After all, they didn't trademark Google Dream (developer phone 1, aka the G1) or Google Ion (developer phone 2, aka MyTouch).

Well, for one thing they already have a trademark on 'Google', so it's not as if someone could call their phone the Google Ion or Google Dream anyway.

tokkun said:
Well, for one thing they already have a trademark on 'Google', so it's not as if someone could call their phone the Google Ion or Google Dream anyway.

Right, but Nokia could still call their next phone the Nokia Ion or Nokia Dream, if they wanted to. They couldn't, however, release a Nokia Nexus One now. Google cares enough about the name "Nexus One" to patent it and protect it for future commercial use. That's all I'm trying to say. I don't believe it's the Google Phone. :lol

Edit: Also, they never sold ADP1 and ADP2 under the names Ion or Dream. They were just called ADP1 and ADP2. Why buck the trend and start using names like "Nexus One"?

Pctx

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
An aside, is Android 2.1 confirmed to be coming to the Moto. Droid?
Reports are that a ROM of 2.1 has been dumped and is working on the Droid.

Most likely we will see 2.0 on most devices end of this year or late Jan.

SimleuqiR

Vyse The Legend said:
The madness continues: Google has trademarked the name "Nexus One."

googlenexus.jpg

For many bloggers/conspiracy theorists this raises one important question: If they had no commercial plans to sell the Nexus One directly to the mainstream consumer, why would they trademark the name? After all, they didn't trademark Google Dream (developer phone 1, aka the G1) or Google Ion (developer phone 2, aka MyTouch). Also, a trademark means T-Mobile and HTC can't use the name without Google's permission, right? It's rather odd...

Personally, I doubt this is little more than the ADP3, but this move does suggest there might be more to this all than meets the eye.

I would love this to be the beginning of Google releasing their own Android phone every 1 to two years (ala Apple iPhone). Why shouldn't Google have a phone of their own? As long as they make an effort to release it on all carriers. And from the rumors that they approached the largest carrier in the USA (Verizon) that's what it seems they were aiming for.

Rumors still point to Nexus being released on Verizon...just not yet. Droid needs some space to grow on that network.

Xdrive05

Pctx said:
Reports are that a ROM of 2.1 has been dumped and is working on the Droid.

Most likely we will see 2.0 on most devices end of this year or late Jan.

Cool. I hope that 2.1 becomes "officially" released on the Droid within the same time frame. 2.0.1 has been good to me.

Pctx

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
It looks like Google may be sued by the Philip K. Dick estate over copyright infringement for their unauthorized use of the name "Nexus One." :lol

Source: NYTimes
Grasping at straws. There's no way they will win.... or maybe... just maybe... this is just part of the game.....

tokkun

Vyse The Legend said:
It looks like Google may be sued by the Philip K. Dick estate over copyright infringement for their unauthorized use of the name "Nexus One." :lol

Source: NYTimes

You can't copyright a name. I don't see anything in your source that even mentions copyright infringement.

So Sprint is introducing a new fee in January! :lol An oppurtunity to get out of contract without an ETF.

I'm currently on the Everything Plus 500 Plan for $59. T-Mobile just launched a comparable $59 plan, and Google Nav will cover my losing Telenav.

Come on Google, announce the details of this thing. Everything fell into place, I'll switch to T-Mobile for the Nexus!

Here's extra confirmation that the phone is T-Mobile 3G only. It's limited to Edge on AT&T, and the CDMA-variant of the phone, if it's planned at all, isn't even being tested yet.

Localytics, a mobile applications analytics service, has published some interesting findings about the Nexus One. Their software tracks data from Android applications and they began noticing the Nexus One show up in their reports last month. The phone first appeared on November 25 and the number of sessions began to increase after Google handed out the phone to their employees on December 11.

According to Localytics, most of the Nexus One phones are being used with T-Mobile 3G. There were also a couple of Googlers using the new phone with their AT&T SIM cards, but they were limited to only Edge data. Note that all the sightings have been over GSM networks and not CDMA. We heard rumors a CDMA version of the Nexus One was also in the works, but it appears that device is a ways off.

Source: The fine folks at AndroidAndMe

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
jonnybryce said:
So Sprint is introducing a new fee in January! :lol An oppurtunity to get out of contract without an ETF.
Does this mean I can sign up for a contract today, get a subsidized phone, and bail in January? Or are the new contracts already reflecting the new fee?

Bboy AJ said:
Does this mean I can sign up for a contract today, get a subsidized phone, and bail in January? Or are the new contracts already reflecting the new fee?
Don't take my sole word for it but the change occurs in January so yes, it should mean that you little schemer.

Mason

Bboy AJ said:

But then what are you going to do with a CDMA phone locked to Sprint? Sell it? I doubt the profit would be worth all your time and effort.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
jonnybryce said:
Don't take my sole word for it but the change occurs in January so yes, it should mean that you little schemer.
Hey man, you know the X10 is expensive!
Mason said:
But then what are you going to do with a CDMA phone locked to Sprint? Sell it? I doubt the profit would be worth all your time and effort.
Yes. It would probably take only an hour or so. That said, ehhh, it might be a headache so I probably won't go through with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom