• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
T-Mo is also reporting that a model (T889) is heading to T-Mobile, with the Exynos processor still in tact. They should keep the LTE in, to future-proof it with T-Mobile's upcoming LTE network.

I'm also assuming that Samsung is aiming for another semi-simultaneous launch in the States, like with the original S III.

They put a separated LTE radio in, really?

tino

Banned
Ewww... Polycarb One X >>> old style...

I'm not a fan of the old style or even slightly older style like my gf's inspire.

It's just a fancy name for plastic. If the One X body can keep as clean as this one after 3 years, you can come back and talk to me.

I am not impressed by the Nokia body either. It just feel plastic.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's just a fancy name for plastic. If the One X body can keep as clean as this one after 3 years, you can come back and talk to me.

I am not impressed by the Nokia body either. It just feel plastic.

Nah. My old Samsung phone was just plastic. This while yes plastic is a whole different ball game.

Looks like the Note II has leaked for AT&T:

http://briefmobile.com/exclusive-at-t-mobile-bell-and-sprint-variants-coming-soon

I guess this means a US release date is soon (probably the end of this month, or early October). Hopefully Verizon is on-board again, so all four US carriers can launch around the same time again, like the SGIII.

On another note, I'm still holding out on any slither of Nexus news that might come our way. An Xperia Nexus is still too much to think about. :( I also wonder if any of the new Nexus will come with a quad-core processor, and/or 2GB of RAM. Guess time will tell.

T-Mo is also reporting that a model (T889) is heading to T-Mobile, with the Exynos processor still in tact. They should keep the LTE in, to future-proof it with T-Mobile's upcoming LTE network.

I'm also assuming that Samsung is aiming for another semi-simultaneous launch in the States, like with the original S III.

The Sprint RDF says it has Exynos inside too... i guess that huge battery is an end to a means...

http://briefmobile.com/exclusive-at-t-mobile-bell-and-sprint-variants-coming-soon

I guess this means a US release date is soon (probably the end of this month, or early October). Hopefully Verizon is on-board again, so all four US carriers can launch around the same time again, like the SGIII.

On another note, I'm still holding out on any slither of Nexus news that might come our way. An Xperia Nexus is still too much to think about. :( I also wonder if any of the new Nexus will come with a quad-core processor, and/or 2GB of RAM. Guess time will tell.

it would be so baller if Verizon said "no, the HTC phablet is enough"

rozay

Banned

I will eat crow if it releases before the end of october. Samsung really is playing hard.

tino

Banned
So whos LTE radio is it? Qualcomm's or Samsung's? It will be very impressive if Samsung can get a non Qualcomm LTE approaved in the US before the end of 2012.

Qualcomm's good day is numbered!

What's an RDF TFM?

All it did was open up a bunch of html code.
well, i don't know all the exact details on info of why, but RDF files have info on ROM builds, and whenever Sprint (or Boost/VM) is testing a new ROM on a device, a new RDF goes up and for Samsung devices, their naming pattern is [letter][letter][number]where the first letter represents the year (it goes up a letter every year, doesn't always start with the same letter across different devices) 2nd represents the month (A-L) and the number represents the day (1-31)

LI2 = 2012 September 2nd

that there are several people on XDA (and elsewhere i'm sure) who check to see if there's a new RDF for their devices every day

guessing someone on the inside leaked the info ... that or someone checked a whole bunch of URL's to find SPH-L900 with a valid RDF

view it in IE

So whos LTE radio is it? Qualcomm's or Samsung's? It will be very impressive if Samsung can get a non Qualcomm LTE approaved in the US before the end of 2012.

Qualcomm's good day is numbered!

3300mAh battery makes me think Qualcomm radio

Any of you guys know how good Motorola Xoom is? How smooth it runs ICS?

I need a cheap device for browsing and may be few tower defense games here and there. I am not digging the 7inch tablets, so I do need a 10inch one.

Any thoughts or impressions?

Thanks.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

This is interesting, the international version already has At&t's LTE bands (700 Mhz): http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_n7100-review-806.php

I'm sure they just said "yeah, we'll take that one"

Dragon

Banned
Hey guys, so I'm looking at being a first time Android user. I currently have an iPhone 4. My work provides a phone so I'll probably be getting the 5 for work but personally I wanted to go Android. My contract with AT&T has expired so I'm free to go with whatever I want. I'm in New York City and I'd love to get off AT&T. Is the consensus that the S3 is the best Android phone out there?

Cipherr

Hey guys, so I'm looking at being a first time Android user. I currently have an iPhone 4. My work provides a phone so I'll probably be getting the 5 for work but personally I wanted to go Android. My contract with AT&T has expired so I'm free to go with whatever I want. I'm in New York City and I'd love to get off AT&T. Is the consensus that the S3 is the best Android phone out there?

Yep, the S3, or the HTC OneX on AT&T or the HTC EVO LTE on Sprint. Pretty much universally the best phones right now for Android.

kehs

Banned
well, i don't know all the exact details on info of why, but RDF files have info on ROM builds, and whenever Sprint (or Boost/VM) is testing a new ROM on a device, a new RDF goes up and for Samsung devices, their naming pattern is [letter][letter][number]where the first letter represents the year (it goes up a letter every year, doesn't always start with the same letter across different devices) 2nd represents the month (A-L) and the number represents the day (1-31)

LI2 = 2012 September 2nd

that there are several people on XDA (and elsewhere i'm sure) who check to see if there's a new RDF for their devices every day

guessing someone on the inside leaked the info ... that or someone checked a whole bunch of URL's to find SPH-L900 with a valid RDF

view it in IE

Ah cool, it's like a build.prop type dealio.

---

Close your eyes gcube.

Jellybean for Galaxy Tab/Note

Okay, I'm thinking someone'll be able to help with this.

I'm looking at ways to speed up my 4.1.1 Nexus S which is getting a little laggy as of late. It's all rooted and the like but I'd really like to get it to run a little smoother and faster except I have no idea what methods or evenROMs, kernels etc. might be suited. I'm fine with doing a factory reset as long as I can restore app saves and settings etc. and admittedly I don't really know how to do that either since I didn't have any problem with deleting stuff when I was unlocking the bootloader. Any ideas?

Did anyone here end up getting one of the free nexus Q's?

A friend received one, and wondered if i'd be interested in it in trade for some bicycle repair/fitting work. Are they worth a damn?

I need some help!

I'm in the market for a new Android smartphone. Been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze. I like the internal specs and the smaller screen. Thinking of buying the phone outright as it goes for around $300 new on Ebay.

I've heard the TouchWiz is annoying with a lot of bloatware on the phone. I was wondering if anyone has this phone and talk a little bit about it. Can it be rooted to run ICS? Or just pure Gingerbread? How's the battery life? Will it improve if I root the phone?

reKon

Banned
Okay, I'm thinking someone'll be able to help with this.

I'm looking at ways to speed up my 4.1.1 Nexus S which is getting a little laggy as of late. It's all rooted and the like but I'd really like to get it to run a little smoother and faster except I have no idea what methods or evenROMs, kernels etc. might be suited. I'm fine with doing a factory reset as long as I can restore app saves and settings etc. and admittedly I don't really know how to do that either since I didn't have any problem with deleting stuff when I was unlocking the bootloader. Any ideas?

Use Titanium Back up to back up your save files. I ended up purchasing the full version because I of how much I use it, but free should be good enough. You'll want to do this because you're going to be doing a clean wipe which wipes out all the data and settings (but it doens't wipe your photos/other downloaded files).

I'm assuming that you have use have a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP

I've been using TWRP:

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/44

Use the 'Android App Install Method (Preferred)' if you want.

For backing up text messages, I use:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

In terms of roms:

Codename Android is great for a ton features/customization and has been stable on my Galaxy Nexus:

http://codenameandroid.com/forum/index.php?/topic/174-codename-android-350/

If you are looking for something that's pretty much stock there are roms like Bugless Beast. Just make sure that you are flashing the right version of the rom because there are multiple Nexus S's (a GSM version, which I'm assuming you have and the Nexus 4G). The links I gave you were to Nexus GSM versions of the these roms.

Whether you use TWRP or CWM as your recovery, the typically steps are:

1. Factory reset (deletes all data/settings)
2. Flash the ROM
3. Flash an updated GAPPS (usually provided by the developer of the ROM)
4. Flash kernel

For the Nexus S, I honestly don't know the best kernel for this phone. I think a lot of people like the Air kernel:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1469842

Or just check the XDA page out. There's a lot to choose from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=883

tino

Banned

ep85

ep85

I need some help!

I'm in the market for a new Android smartphone. Been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze. I like the internal specs and the smaller screen. Thinking of buying the phone outright as it goes for around $300 new on Ebay.

I've heard the TouchWiz is annoying with a lot of bloatware on the phone. I was wondering if anyone has this phone and talk a little bit about it. Can it be rooted to run ICS? Or just pure Gingerbread? How's the battery life? Will it improve if I root the phone?

For $50 more you can get a Galaxy Nexus.

If you insist on the Blaze here is the XDA forums for that phone. It looks like it can be rooted, and there are a variety of Roms to try out.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574556

kehs

Banned
Man, Samsung must have the US carriers by the balls. Rumor is no carrier branding on the front of the at&t one, so I would assume the same for all of them.

I think they finally realized the extra work and headache from having to deal with updates as a middle man for major devices.

rozay

Banned
I need some help!

Buy a brand new galaxy nexus for $350.

Small screen really important?

I need some help!

get a Galaxy Nexus for $350. then you don't have to worry about touchwiz or annoying bloatware on the phone. and it doesn't even need to be modded to run jellybean.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Buy a brand new galaxy nexus for $350.

Small screen really important?

get a Galaxy Nexus for $350. then you don't have to worry about touchwiz or annoying bloatware on the phone. and it doesn't even need to be modded to run jellybean.

Yeah if you are going to shell out around $300 might as well just save up the extra cash to get the Galaxy Nexus. Plus it'll be new and not a used device, and you'll still be off contract.

Plus the ebay route can be kind of shaky for phones IMO. (I'm sort of an all around ebay hater now though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom