• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought initially but:

q8Imal.jpg

Look at the sides:

Yybhvl.jpg

I was hoping to find the raw file, but it looks like I'll have to take screen grabs & stitch them together after removing the UI stuff.

I'm not sure what's going on with that picture but the wallpapers when used get stored in

“/data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper”

And the file (I just extracted it myself), is this:

gcubed

Why is Google now such shit for sports? I can never get an answer for "did the titans win" not even ”did the patriots win". It seems to only work for baseball. I also totally forgot football started yesterday, it would have been nice if it had a card of the titans game but nothing. And yes i do have the team saved under settings. All now has done for me is given me shit battery life (or something on jelly bean has).

they listened to you. The bug was fixed today

Argyle

The problem is Samsung just repurposed the same phone over and over for each carrier, the Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T's skyrocket were the same exact GS2 with different radios for each carrier.

Those three phones weren't exactly the same, although they used basically the same case design (also shared by the AT&T Infuse, right?). The Sprint model had the Exynos chip set in it, the other two were Qualcomm iirc. Not sure if the GSM models had the noise cancellation chip that was on the international (and AT&T model), it was missing on the Sprint model. Same deal with NFC...

But yeah, it was like Samsung had like 5 case designs and they were happy to stuff whichever smartphone guts into it for you...

besiktas1

So today my Android adventure has came to a close. Fuckery culminating from; bullshit hardware, network providers being crooks and me not knowing how to just leave the shit alone.

I'm at a loss.
Bought HTC One X phone. Had wifi fault. Let it be.
Rooted phone.
2 months later phone antennae brakes. No reception.
Returned phone back to stock using RUU.
Send it off to tmobile who then sent it to htc.
They sent it back today saying the warranty is void.
Now have a brick.

Any ideas?

kehs

Banned
So today my Android adventure has came to a close. Fuckery culminating from; bullshit hardware, network providers being crooks and me not knowing how to just leave the shit alone.

I'm at a loss.
Rooted phone.
Now have a brick.

Any ideas?

A brick, as in it won't boot up at all?

This is an example of why all those anti-root anti-hacking measures that company put in to place are a bad thing. They knew you had rooted because of some bullshit bootloader thing they have going and they used it as an excuse to not stand up for their shitty hardware production. /rant

Cipherr

I'm at a loss.
Rooted phone.
Now have a brick.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure you are hosed in this case unless you pay for a repair somewhere out of pocket. Warranty is voided on root, so they are going to use that as a scapegoat here, regardless of whether or not it is the cause.

besiktas1

It's a brick as in a phone that can't make phone calls. Also I'm guessing because it's always looking for a signal it overheats and battery last no more than 1hr. If that.
Well upset. No luck what so ever when it comes to phones. But Ill tell you what. HTC can suck a massive one. It's a hardware fault. Software in no way affects a faulty hardware antena. I'm stuck with no phone.

besiktas1

The more I'm reading on xda the more I'm getting a headache. I'm willing to pay a fee just fix the damn thing. They're supposed to not even do that.
Anyone know of anywhere London that may fix it?

Cipherr

Plus 3 more Nexus devices to be announced, right?

Is that still happening?

I think it will only be one phone. The 3-5 Nexus device confusion came before the announcements of the Nexus 7 Tablet, and that Nexus Q round media thingie. There will probably only be one Nexus phone announced Q4 just like the other years prior.

The Nexus S 4G gets JB before the VZW Galaxy Nexus? Congrats Verizon, you are officially the worst.

Oh man, thats hilarious.

kehs

Banned
I think it will only be one phone. The 3-5 Nexus device confusion came before the announcements of the Nexus 7 Tablet, and that Nexus Q round media thingie. There will probably only be one Nexus phone announced Q4 just like the other years prior.

Oh man, thats hilarious.

I'd be interesting if they just skip the Nexus this year, just do a smaller point update to AOSP, and let Motorola go balls out with a JB device for the holidays.

wario

yeah, doesn't seem like there's a nexus phone for the holidays. it's already september and there's nothing on the rumors front in the past month or so.

SimleuqiR

yeah, doesn't seem like there's a nexus phone for the holidays. it's already september and there's nothing on the rumors front in the past month or so.

People are too busy talking about iPhone 5 and iPad mini rumors. Plus the Nexus 7 has kind of taken center stage.

I currently have a motorola xoom (jelly bean). i want a device that i can sketch on/take notes on. the htc jetstream is $250 (honeycomb). should I do it?

kehs

Banned
The jetstream is a pretty big step down.

If you need a stylus I don't think there's any 7" alternatives at the moment. You're stucking between the 5" note/note 2 and the note 10.1 and lenovo's offering (I think dr.funk? has one)

kehs

Banned
Isn't it possible to buy a stylus for the N7 and use that?
It'd have to be a capacitive stylus. The stylus on those other tablets work with a regular digitizer which is more precise.

-------

The number of devices Google is adding is astonishing. If they keep just a linear rate of activations, they'll have activated a total of a billion devices in a little more than a year from now. I figure they'll hit the billion mark in nine months though with current rate growing as fast as it is. That's insane.

3phemeral

I'm not sure what's going on with that picture but the wallpapers when used get stored in

“/data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper”

And the file (I just extracted it myself), is this:
Sweet!

Thank you!

It was driving me NUTS trying to find the full image. I'm customizing my tablet and thought this would be the perfect wallpaper to use as a test, but I couldn't find the full file anywhere, let alone find any information on where to locate it on my device from the custom ROM I was using. I really don't know why these files are truncated when they're ripped and leaked in advance.

Angst

time to fragment, i've got the Samsung Galaxy |OT| and the rest of the peeps can have fun with their Xperia and One and Fire OT's...

We need:

Samsung Galaxy Note |OT|
Samsung Galaxy Note II |OT|
Samsung Galaxy SIII |OT|
Samsung Galaxy Ace |OT|
Samsung Galaxy Nexus |OT|
Samsung Galaxy Mini |OT
Samsung Galaxy 10.1 |OT|

etc

ZZMitch

Does anyone else have a problem with Beautiful Widgets not updating the time or weather properly? It has been affecting me me for a while and I can't figure out how to fix it.

besiktas1

Wish me luck guys, on hold with tmobile now.
Xda tells me to remind them of the "supply of goods and services act" it's a hardware issue and have to prove it was because I unlocked the phone the antennae broke. Under law they have to repair it...

Wish me luck guys, on hold with tmobile now.
Xda tells me to remind them of the "supply of goods and services act" it's a hardware issue and have to prove it was because I unlocked the phone the antennae broke. Under law they have to repair it...

Good luck. Maybe they'll give you something better. A Windows Phone perhaps?

besiktas1

Good luck. Maybe they'll give you something better. A Windows Phone perhaps?
Lol remember all the problems with my omnia 7. I'm Badluck Besiktas when it comes to phones. This time though it's BS.

E: wtf, they said hold on let me transfer you then after 5 minutes cut the line... :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Does anyone else have a problem with Beautiful Widgets not updating the time or weather properly? It has been affecting me me for a while and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Google removed the weather APIs for third party apps. So if you have google set as a source, you will need to change it to accuweather or something else.

besiktas1

Arguing with the htc guy for around half an hour now. He's not budging. I'm not budging. Ugh.
e: ugh it would have better off If I just farted over the phone, the man didn't listen to a word I'm saying. Anywho they're picking it up tomorrow. How I expect the events will unfold and my game plan.
Step 1. They pick it up.
Step 2. They say I'm out of warranty.
Step 3. Me refuse to pay amount proposed. Write email. Quote "Sale of Goods Act 1979", sold faulty phone, HTC have accept it is faulty in previous statement, etc.
Step 4. .... Ask gaf for further help.

kehs

Banned
time to fragment, i've got the Samsung Galaxy |OT| and the rest of the peeps can have fun with their Xperia and One and Fire OT's...

I was thinking the same actually, RIP mainbranch.

Our buttery savior got a redesign.

I knew that thing looked unfinished.

true, thats a step above a non functioning phone

ether.

Arguing with the htc guy for around half an hour now. He's not budging. I'm not budging. Ugh.

If it fails, google around for emails address to vice presidents/presidents/high management. A couple of people had good luck when the N1 was crapping left and right and HTC didn't want to honor anything.

----

Company out of Congo releasing and Android device.

Elikia1.jpg

Their new Black Android smartphone dubbed Elikia (which means hope in Congolese lingala) runs on Android Gingerbread out-of-the-box. It sports a 3.5 inch screen and the build is petite, decently designed, stylish and elegant. It is about 11.2 mm thick and weighs 150g. it will not be winning any global awards for built but it is pretty ‘pocketable’.

The other specs are modest but fit this phone in a low-budget category by modern western standards. It is definitely not a power tool especially since it comes with a 650 MHz processor, 512 MB of RAM and 126 MB internal memory but with a microSD slot that can support external memory up to 32 GB. The handset also comes with more connectivity options just like the standard smartphones designed for the first world market including WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, 3G, A-GPS and USB 2.0.

Its 1300 mAh battery may seem a little on the lower end at first but seeing its 650 MHz processor, it can probably run the phone for over six hours talk time on a single charge. What’s more, it has a 480 X 320 pixels screen resolution which is not so power hungry. Although it comes with Android 3.2 Gingerbread, there is the option to load Ice Cream Sandwich using a Holo Launcher.

The phone will be available off-contract and will sell at an equivalent price of $170.

I'm guessing some of details got messed up in translation, but the overall idea is pretty great for the expansion of tech into that part of the world. The race to 1 billion marches on.

http://thedroidguy.com/2012/09/vmk-congo-unveils-elikia-android-smartphone/

ZZMitch

Google removed the weather APIs for third party apps. So if you have google set as a source, you will need to change it to accuweather or something else.

I use accuweather already. But I heard it may have something to do with having a home replacement application like launcherpro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom