• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
i love how everyone tried to copy the galaxy note, yet they all forgot the s pen...but basically all charge the same price.

if i'm ever going to buy a phablet, i'm going to get the one with the dope stylus, even if i only ever use it once, it will be nice to have.

jokkir

Anyone else excited for the Galaxy Prime? The Samsung and Google combo will be awesome and will have a curved screen. It's unheard of!

Cipherr

so do you guys honestly believe that silver is heralding the end open Android as we know it? Or at least the nexus line as we know it?

No idea, the only thing I would really miss from the Nexus is the mid tier pricing. But I can afford to buy phones at full price like GPE' so thats not really that big of a deal to me. Would suck for the mid tier to lose a champ like that though.

As for the OS itself, they could close that shit completely tomorrow and I wouldn't give two shits. Ive never bought Android phones because of some badge of honor for it being open source. That means nothing to me at all. I buy them because I genuinely like the OS.

They would have to break the OS in ways I dislike for me to care. Open or Closed means nothing to me.

Wall of Shame!

wosaot.jpg

an easy win.

Hey, everyone. What do you guys recommend when it comes to $300-and-lower no-contract devices? My girlfriend and I suddenly need new phones. :/

jokkir

Hey, everyone. What do you guys recommend when it comes to $300-and-lower no-contract devices? My girlfriend and I suddenly need new phones. :/

Just as temporary devices? Moto G for low end (two costing you just a bit over $300) or Nexus 5 and/or OnePlus One whenever that comes out but that's over $300.

Just as temporary devices? Moto G for low end (two costing you just a bit over $300) or Nexus 5 and/or OnePlus One whenever that comes out but that's over $300.

Well, $300 each is what we were looking at, and only my device would be temporary.
(I might get a G until the OnePlus. >.>)
Is the Nexus 5 the only other option for a phone that's decent and available at this moment?
She digs it enough to be fine.

kehs

Banned
Well, $300 each is what we were looking at, and only my device would be temporary.
(I might get a G until the OnePlus. >.>)
Is the Nexus 5 the only other option for a phone that's decent and available at this moment?
She digs it enough to be fine.

I bought a moto G as a temporary device cause I wrecked my n4.

I'm not planning on replacing it until it gets wrecked too. Going on 4 months now. Fantastic phone, especially for it's price.

I bought a moto G as a temporary device cause I wrecked my n4.

I'm not planning on replacing it until it gets wrecked too. Going on 4 months now. Fantastic phone, especially for it's price.

It looks like a swell device. If I end up picking it up, I'll try to get a bunch of the backplate/cases to mix and match when I'm letting people demo the Sol Republic stuffs.
Too many colors! :p

i wish she was easier to shop for. :/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just curious, but whatever happened to that dude who was hyping up the moto x back when? I can't remember his username. Is he banned?

LOL who wants to be the next poster to wrongly hype up a phone?

I wish it didn't run at all.

An intern at Engadget reviews the Nokia X.

Nokia X

Wrap-up

For its cost, it has respectable features and solid hardware, but it doesn't have enough redeeming qualities to help it pull ahead of its competition. The specs are comparable to a sub-$150 Android smartphone. However, the ecosystem is more confusing and the performance doesn't quite meet my expectations for a budget device. Plus, who knows how long Microsoft will keep it around and update it? Nokia's still a trusted brand, and it'll get a lot of interest in developing markets regardless of the competition, but I was ultimately too frustrated to recommend this over other similarly priced models.

The X works better as a possible Asha replacement than a full-on smartphone experience, and perhaps that will happen in the next year or two. I'm more confident in the performance of low-end Windows Phones like the Lumia 520 than I am in comparable Androids, and a dual-SIM Lumia in this price range would be a much more compelling deal.

Pros

• Reasonable hardware for the price
  • Battery life is good for most tasks

Cons
  • Poor performance and responsiveness
  • No access to Google services
  • Can't multitask from apps
  • Mediocre call quality

Conclusion

For its price, the X has respectable features and good hardware. However, its confusing ecosystem and numerous performance issues make it hard to recommend over similarly priced budget phones.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/29/nokia-x-review/

NotBacon

It looks like a swell device. If I end up picking it up, I'll try to get a bunch of the backplate/cases to mix and match when I'm letting people demo the Sol Republic stuffs.
Too many colors! :p

i wish she was easier to shop for. :/

Moto X is $299 this thursday. Moto G is just a watered down Moto X sooooooo....

Now that the Nexus line for phones is dead, I wonder how Google is going to support the Nexus 5 after 18 months.

I'd be pissed if they pull another Galaxy Nexus.

Blablurn

I read some more reviews about the LG G2 and the scored go from "The worst phone you can get" (Gizmodo) to "The Best phone you can get". Who shall I believe. Of course I know its not up to date anymore if you look at the GS5. But for 300€ it sounds like a nice phone.

Groof

I read some more reviews about the LG G2 and the scored go from "The worst phone you can get" (Gizmodo) to "The Best phone you can get". Who shall I believe. Of course I know its not up to date anymore if you look at the GS5. But for 300€ it sounds like a nice phone.

It is a great phone, and this is coming from someone who's head over heels for Nexus.
It has some of the best battery life of 2013, a vivid, bright and amazing 1080p display, great out of the box customisability and a really good camera with OIS.
What it falls short on however is an incredibly cluttered and imposing UI (think Samsung) that may or may not disturb the fuck out of you and really slow auto focusing in the camera. Also no dedicated multi task key, though you can long-press the home button to bring the menu up.

I think it's still a great phone which could be worth the price.

It really looks like major 3rd party developers are nailing their design on Android.

VZLe0uL.png

I love the new look of Spotify on Android. Makes me want to get a Nexus 5.

Blablurn

It is a great phone, and this is coming from someone who's head over heels for Nexus.
It has some of the best battery life of 2013, a vivid, bright and amazing 1080p display, great out of the box customisability and a really good camera with OIS.
What it falls short on however is an incredibly cluttered and imposing UI (think Samsung) that may or may not disturb the fuck out of you and really slow auto focusing in the camera. Also no dedicated multi task key, though you can long-press the home button to bring the menu up.

I think it's still a great phone which could be worth the price.

Thanks for the awesome post! What I like about it is the speed and the battery. and i guess coming from a lil moto g even the camera will be a upgrade.

personally i doubt i care much about the ui. i had nexus devices already. its nice. but its not like i need that experience.

thanks again for the post, mate!

Peru

Hey Android pros - when do you think the current galaxy tab pro line may drop in price (specifically looking at the 8.4)

i love how everyone tried to copy the galaxy note, yet they all forgot the s pen...but basically all charge the same price.

if i'm ever going to buy a phablet, i'm going to get the one with the dope stylus, even if i only ever use it once, it will be nice to have.

That's totally me. Used the stylus on my Note II for about a week, then installed CyanogenMod, and never touched the stylus again.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Alright, ordered the LGG2. 299€. Looking forward to it.

You made a good decision. The G2 is the best phone I've ever owned by a pretty wide margin. But it broke and I didn't want to spend a few hundred bucks on a new device, so I am using a GS4 a friend gave me. This thing sucks in comparison.

Blablurn

You made a good decision. The G2 is the best phone I've ever owned by a pretty wide margin. But it broke and I didn't want to spend a few hundred bucks on a new device, so I am using a GS4 a friend gave me. This thing sucks in comparison.

Wasnt there any warranty?

But thanks for the comment. Feeling really confident about it. Saw and read a shitton of reviews. I don't mind the UI and the screen + battery combo sounds too good. really looking forward to it after having a moto g.

SimleuqiR

Not sure how reliable this website with rumors:

http://www.android.gs/nexus-6-concept/

A trusted insider has confirmed for Android Geeks that Google will continue their collaboration with LG and that the Nexus 5 follow-up will be based on the hardware platform and design of the yet-unannounced LG G3. He also said that Google is in advanced talks with several Asian fingerprint sensor suppliers, hinting that the Nexus 6 will be ready to take on Apple’s Touch ID sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom