• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
android police said:
The next email from McMaster is perhaps the most damning, though, and frankly, makes me think the dude is more than a little bit of an asshole. (He does have a 310 phone number.)

Call someone an asshole, and then say something assholeish in the next sentence. lol AP

bah, sours me on them a lot. Whatever. Any word on what cyanogen is doing going forward? Are they going to use em for the rest of the world or are they switching altogether? I wish they'd just use stock everywhere.

I think things have been smoothed over for the rest of the world since then. Cyanogen will fulfill it's 2 year commitment for the global version, but One Plus won't ship in Indian with cyanogenmod on it. OnePlus is also working on it's own rom, which will probably be better than Cyanogen anyway with less glitches and better camera software.

I feel bad for the intern who worked hard to make that cool hamburger menu to arrow key animation only to have it be completely useless now that the side menu extends all the way to the top of the screen.

thuway

For those who're using Samsung phones + Nova (prime)— how much of the TW is left? I'm assuming the notifications are still TW, but what about app switcher? Anything else I'm missing?

I say this because I was able to do a side-by-side comparison between a N6, an iPhone 6+, and a Note 4. And was by far more impressed by Note 4 the most (screen, camera, S pen, other little features) so I'm thinking about swallowing my pride and choosing function over form. But still, the less I see of TW, the better obv.

The launcher just provides an interface and it doesn't exactly cut off the features like smart stay, hover*, and the touchwiz settings back end. What Nova Launcher does is change the way you interact and access content, but it doesn't change how the back end operates.

For those who're using Samsung phones + Nova (prime)— how much of the TW is left? I'm assuming the notifications are still TW, but what about app switcher? Anything else I'm missing?

I say this because I was able to do a side-by-side comparison between a N6, an iPhone 6+, and a Note 4. And was by far more impressed by Note 4 the most (screen, camera, S pen, other little features) so I'm thinking about swallowing my pride and choosing function over form. But still, the less I see of TW, the better obv.

Works great for me on my Note 2. I pair it with Minimal UI icon pack so that it's got a cool look as well. Like others have said, TW is apparently still there underneath so when you pull down the notification menu it's still TW and all the stylus stuff still works (reticle appearing when hovering the stylus over the screen). I've honestly never had any issues with Touchwiz other than it's main screen interface (couldn't customize it NEARLY enough), so Nova corrects that problem. No issues in terms of performance or noticeable stuttering over the 2 years I've used it.

I have a Nexus 10 I just upgraded to Lollipop and I have to say that I actually prefer my Note 2'sTouchwiz notification menu to the Lollipop one. I don't need to do the double swipe down or two finger swipe to get to the buttons I want (usually brightness and turning wifi on/off), I also have a problem where I'm apparently not swiping down how Lollipop likes, so the menu will just SPRING back closed after swiping down. I was also used to having the two different drop down menus on the left and right of the screen on my tablet. Now the dropdown only appears in the dead center even if I used my thumb on the left side of the screen to pull it down. None of them are huge dealbreakers, but they do a great job of irritating me since they are such pointless changes. I'm sure it would be less annoying on a phone, but for a widescreen tablet I'm really hating it so far.

I feel bad for the intern who worked hard to make that cool hamburger menu to arrow key animation only to have it be completely useless now that the side menu extends all the way to the top of the screen.
If Google actually implemented it in their apps the correct way, people would still be able to see the animation.

The animation isn't supposed to even happen when sliding out the menu, as far as I understand. You should see it when going between different layers or sections of an app or whatever. The latest Quickpic version shows what I mean.

torontoml

Figured I'd ask here to, although I kinda asked the first one earlier.

Couple questions about the note 4, just got one myself.

1st, Is the gps not very good? It works fine outside but in my basement apartment it can't lock on to anything, my s3 that just broke and nexus 10 have little issue.

2nd, Kinda Gaf specific but when using the dark theme I get a dark blue tinge in the name bar approximately like in the picture when scrolling down and it's on the bottom when scrolling up.

jONVut4.jpg

XBP

Anyone know WHY when pinning albums on Google Play Music that it takes up a ridiculous amount of space? For example, Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor is around 500mb. There's no way that album is that large. Anyone know how to make the size more manageable? It's terrible on a device that only has 16GB.

Also, putting the quality in the options to normal does nothing. I assume since you pin it, it'll download a higher quality version or something automatically :\

I've had the same problem with GPM. A way to somewhat fix this is to get a SD card and choose the download location as external. This way the app takes half space on your internal storage and the other half on the SD card. As I only have 8GB of internal storage on my device, I cant even do this. So right now I'm not sure what to do to be honest. Whatever my next phone is, I'm not getting anything that doesn't have at least 64Gb of internal storage.

Husker86

2nd, Kinda Gaf specific but when using the dark theme I get a dark blue tinge in the name bar approximately like in the picture when scrolling down and it's on the bottom when scrolling up.

This is your AMOLED screen saying "Hello, I'm AMOLED".

That's my guess, though I would normally assume it would be the other way around (discoloration at bottom when scrolling down since the pixels are going from black to grey). But since black pixels are "off" on AMOLED, maybe my thinking is backwards and it is just like you say.

Can you go to any other dark-themed, scrollable apps/sites and see that?

The last AMOLED I had, the Settings menu of the phone was dark so I could see it there.

Husker86

Your right it's the reverse of what I said. I tried to remember when I typed it.

Actually, looking at what I typed, I was thinking backwards...haha. Scrolling down, the top of the user bar will be going from black pixels to grey.

Anyway, easiest way to tell if it's because of AMOLED is if the white text is somewhat hard to read when scrolling.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
My Nexus 5 has been running buttery smooth on 5.0.1... Dare I say good job googy? Feels as responsive as KitKat.

This was typed on Fleksy btw. Great keyboard, it's really come a long way from the last time I tried it.

thuway

I still feel like it'll be a good year before we see what Lollipop truly means for Android. The bugs, the inability for Xposed module to work (yes I care!), and the lack of some long awaited features (.RAW Support) - all point to a work in progress.

At the very least, no one can complain Android is "boring" again. There is a ton of stuff in the pipe line, being fixed, and new avenues open for interacting with our said devices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do Nexus 6 owners miss the notification light?

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm not sure if its due to the newness of the install but Android 5.0.2 on my 2012 Nexus 7 is actually pretty good. Responsive, haven't had any terrible lags yet (installed last night)

Milpool

Do Nexus 6 owners miss the notification light?

I thought I would but I don't. It pretty much has one anyway, just happens to be a screen. Same with double tap to wake, the screen wakes as soon as you touch the phone or take it outta your pocket anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The launcher only consists of the home screens and the app drawer, everything else will be as TW as ever.

Can I use Smart Lock to basically not have the phone lock itself in a whole country?

No, only ~100 meter zones. If I just enter "Sweden" I get a location near Stockholm (but not in Stockholm, oddly).

There you go.

What's new? Looks the same as it has for months.

With 5.0, the only way to switch tabs in chrome is via multitasking switch?
No, it (should/will) have asked you when you first launched it if you wanted to continue with it's plan to merge tabs with apps and allow you to opt out.

You can change the setting in Chome's Settings then set Merge tabs and apps to Off.

Oozer3993

In the course of checking how much data I used this month on my Nexus 5, I was shocked to find that Gmail somehow used 278 MB of cell data. And a whopping 3.1 GB on Wi-Fi. And took up something similar last month. It's never used anywhere near that in previous months (the two months before that were 192 MB and 132 MB combined Cell + Wi-Fi). Sometime in early November something went screwy. I didn't change anything with respect to how I use the app, nor did I have any sudden influx of data heavy emails. Does anyone know what's going on? Some Googling around found some other people with a similar problem, but no solutions. I only have 1 GB of data a month, which would be just fine for me if GMail wasn't sucking up so much of it.

kehs

Banned
In the course of checking how much data I used this month on my Nexus 5, I was shocked to find that Gmail somehow used 278 MB of cell data. And a whopping 3.1 GB on Wi-Fi. And took up something similar last month. It's never used anywhere near that in previous months (the two months before that were 192 MB and 132 MB combined Cell + Wi-Fi). Sometime in early November something went screwy. I didn't change anything with respect to how I use the app, nor did I have any sudden influx of data heavy emails. Does anyone know what's going on? Some Googling around found some other people with a similar problem, but no solutions. I only have 1 GB of data a month, which would be just fine for me if GMail wasn't sucking up so much of it.

Foreground or background?

Sid

Anyone with a Note 4 having issues with gps? I just got it but it doesn't lock on at all, my S3 had no issues.
No issues so far

It changes the front end substantially and with the upcoming lollipop update it should look good at least and the phone is super fast anyways so lag will always be a non issue,I can post screens if you want but I'm using Nova Launcher Prime (with the lollipop app drawer)+Google keyboard+Moonshine icon pack+Minimal clock widget+Material wallpapers for the home and lock screens

Wreav

Banned

Settings menus, dialer, pop up notifications, app switcher, notification shade, quick setting toggles, and lock screen are all still TW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom