• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't think Google really gives a fuck. They come up with so much amazing stuff, but barely ever advertise and show any of it off in any meaningful capacity. They had an insanely popular tablet in the N7, but that now seems to be dead. Google just doesn't seem committed to Android.

Everyone is fucked. Chinese OEMs too. Apple's growth in China is huge.

----

It's unfortunate, but Apple is gonna own the damn world at some point. People are worried about Google owning so much and having so much power, but Apple is already the most powerful entity on the planet. They could do anything, make anything, and nine times outta ten, they will be successful, and there's nothing out there that can stop them.
There's really nothing to say about Apple anymore. It's a powerhouse and practically a small country. I wouldn't be surprise if Apple owns a private military.

When the Apple watch releases, I can see it becoming a fashion accessory as popular as beats. Maybe even more popular.

I'm placing a conference call about an hour ago.....and somehow I have two instances of the dialer open. Like, I'm pressing the conference code but nothing's happening, only to realize that I was on the wrong instance of the dialer. What the hell. But I have an update from at&t for realz this time. 4.4 finally, let's see if my bugs are fixed. Let's see if I get 5.0 before I smash the phone against a wall.
lol see it's just shit like that which adds up for some people. They'd rather not deal and just get something they never want to or have to think about. And I don't' blame em.

Noema

I'm placing a conference call about an hour ago.....and somehow I have two instances of the dialer open. Like, I'm pressing the conference code but nothing's happening, only to realize that I was on the wrong instance of the dialer. What the hell. But I have an update from at&t for realz this time. 4.4 finally, let's see if my bugs are fixed. Let's see if I get 5.0 before I smash the phone against a wall.

As much as I like Android, this is an example of the little quirks that should never ever happen and yet they happen. Today I noticed I couldn't pause Spotify. I mean, I'd pause it, but the music kept playing. I was about to teach class and the only thing I could do was turn the volume all the way down until I figured out what was going on. Later I realized that there were two instances of Spotify running, and I while one was paused the other one was playing. What in the actual fuck. It happened again later as I was on my way home.

9mjuRwO.png

Notice how different tracks seem to be playing at the same time.

Only way to stop the music was to manually kill both instances of the process.

Reckoner

Just read about new rumors of the HTC One M9 saying that the leaked pictures are false and the phone will have a different design that will remove the black bar with the logo. If that turns out to be true, then that's the way to go, HTC!

As much as I like Android, this is an example of the little quirks that should never ever happen and yet they happen. Today I noticed I couldn't pause Spotify. I mean, I'd pause it, but the music kept playing. I was about to teach class and the only thing I could do was turn the volume all the way down until I figured out what was going on. Later I realized that there were two instances of Spotify running, and I while one was paused the other one was playing. What in the actual fuck. It happened again later as I was on my way home.

Gotta love that Android jank. Music apps don't even handle stopping music the same way. Some apps kill the music after you swipe away the task. Others don't. Some have an "X" button on the now playing notification. Others don't. Always liked how simple it was on iOS. Swipe away any app playing music and it'll stop the music.

Noema

Gotta love that Android jank. Music apps don't even handle stopping music the same way. Some apps kill the music after you swipe away the task. Others don't. Some have an "X" button on the now playing notification. Others don't. Always liked how simple it was on iOS. Swipe away any app playing music and it'll stop the music.

Yeah, in iOS there's a music API and a single application hooks into it and then it can be controlled either by the headphones or by the control center. It's always clear which app is hooked into the API and what will happen when you press play.

In Android, sometimes funky stuff happens where if I'm listening to a Podcast and I try to pause using my headphones, the Play Music app will start playing, (without pausing the podcast, so both play at the same time) even if the app hadn't been launched.

It goes to show the differences in design philosophy behind both OSes. iOS is simpler since multitasking is limited and apps have to be hooked onto different APIs to do stuff in the background like playing audio. This limits functionality (for example, if using my PC I add music to a playlist set for offline listening, on Android the app will instantly download the tracks to the device, but on iOS I need to manually open the app for the music to start downloading ) but also limits stuff that can go wrong. Android is more functional since it has true multitasking but there's a higher potential for things breaking.

In Android, sometimes funky stuff happens where if I'm listening to a Podcast and I try to pause using my headphones, the Play Music app will start playing, (without pausing the podcast, so both play at the same time) even if the app hadn't been launched.

I still remember when my S3 played notifications on the EXTERNAL SPEAKER even when I had headphones plugged in. I just shook my head and knew that was the moment I didn't want a Samsung phone anymore.

How are you guys getting two instances of the same app running? I've never seen that ever before.

Yeah, in iOS there's a music API and a single application hooks into it and then it can be controlled either by the headphones or by the control center. It's always clear which app is hooked into the API and what will happen when you press play.

It goes to show the differences in design philosophy behind both OSes. iOS is simpler since multitasking is limited and apps have to be hooked onto different APIs to do stuff in the background like playing audio. This limits functionality (for example, if using my PC I add music to a playlist set for offline listening, on Android the app will instantly download the tracks to the device, but on iOS I need to manually open the app for the music to start downloading ) but also limits stuff that can go wrong. Android is more functional since it has true multitasking but there's a higher potential for things breaking.

I can tell you from experience that at least in iOS 8, when I add a song to a playlist in iTunes, it automatically downloads that song for offline listening in the music app. At least that's how it works with iTunes Match now. For example I keep a playlist called "favorites" as a way to just have a giant list of individual songs I like. When I add a new song to that list in iTunes, it automatically will download that song on to my phone for offline play. No more having to go in and manually download songs every time up add to a playlist.

NotBacon

One thing iOS will always have is that it just works so damn easily. From texting to imessage to sharing stuff to moving around to the settings to the camera app especially and so on and so forth. Rarely an issue in day to day use. No real complexity. No real frustration.

Eh, I've seen many people struggle to do basic tasks in iOS (or do it in a convoluted way), and I've seen many people use Android with ease.

I think the bigger picture is change. SO many people jumped on the iPhone train years ago (I don't blame them) and now they're comfy. They probably did struggle to do things at first. Why would they want to switch OSes and have to go through that again? They just don't even think about it: "Oh time for an upgrade? Time to get the new iPhone.".

samsung is so predictable. I'd like to be surprised but realistically they will throw everything at the wall both specs wise and gimmicky features wise.

My bet is: Metal casing, bigger numbers (this = better right? RIGHT?) across the board, one new hardware feature as a focus, and same TouchWiz (with better performance).

terrier

did y'all ever think that maybe, just maybe, what the mass consumer REALLY wants is ... an Apple?

and nobody else can compete period and Android is just destined for a strong second place?

i'm fine with that as long as Samsung makes a Note 6 or someone else competes with them for my money with a comparable featureset in 2016.

Fixed.
People want apple over other brands. As people prefer BMW over other brands too. It is obviously a generalization, but that's it. Your average consumer doesn't care about most things people discuss in forums: notification bars, dpi, UI, touchwiz or even convenience, since apple's own charging port is much less friendly than standard microusb to be found anywhere. They want a phone for social apps, photos and obviously, the phone today is another way of showing your 'status', despite some seem to no t like the idea, and apple is like Gucci.
And this kind of appeal doesn't appear easily, in fact most of the time it is difficult to know why A has appeal and B hasn't. It is not feature-realated, iphones do not have any magic feature that android or windows phones do not have.
That said, the different way android and iOS are handled also helps apple in this battle: having numerous flagships to choose from vs only one or two obviously gives apple an advantage. Maybe android should have only one or two flaghsips a year, but that would go against its own strenghs, choice.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

9mjuRwO.png

Well at least you have good taste in music, it could've been worse, like two instances of Justin Bieber.

Pachimari

Do any of you guys know why I don't have Pushbullet in my Chrome on my Android 5.0 device? I had it on KitKat but it's not there as an option in the menu anymore. :(

Fjolle

is making a ringtone a simple task? that one always seems to be the one people who switch from Android to iOS trip up on and ask about...

In iOS? It's making a max 30 seconds m4a file and rename it to m4r. Then import it in iTunes (ugh).

In Android it's making a 30 seconds mp3 file and put it into the ringtone directory.

Cheebo

Banned
Eh, I've seen many people struggle to do basic tasks in iOS (or do it in a convoluted way), and I've seen many people use Android with ease.

I think the bigger picture is change. SO many people jumped on the iPhone train years ago (I don't blame them) and now they're comfy. They probably did struggle to do things at first. Why would they want to switch OSes and have to go through that again? They just don't even think about it: "Oh time for an upgrade? Time to get the new iPhone.".
That only explains a small part of it. Look at their massive growth in China over the last year to become the #1 smartphone brand in China. These are consumers who did not get on the iPhone train years ago. And China is their #1 market now as well. These sales are not from long time iOS users but new ones.

Ha, they actually did curve the edges exactly like the iPhone 6. Anyway, it looks miles better than the M7 and M8, and the bezels are much smaller! Also, are there two versions of the M9? I'm guessing the one with the ugly ass home button has a fingerprint reader.

that's a fingerprint reader on the front of the 5.5 version, you feens
So maybe not a button and just a reader? Cool.

Volotaire

Two things I don't like about the design. The height of the bezels relative to the phone and the camera lens. But, I'm getting excited now.

In iOS? It's making a max 30 seconds m4a file and rename it to m4r. Then import it in iTunes (ugh).

In Android it's making a 30 seconds mp3 file and put it into the ringtone directory.
Or just use the Audiko app as it has millions of songs and dozens of variations of those songs in a 30 second file.

I don't get why they absolutely have to have the black HTC bar. Sure they slimmed it down but come on
It's only on the big plus version. It's they figure the shit is gonna be huge anyway lol. Or they're fingerprint tech is under it. Who knows.

The small one looks hot. This is why we need an HTC nexus. This is the year.

Talon

Guess what.

Android doesn't need to lose for iOS to do well.
iOS doesn't need to lose for Android to do well.

You'd think after living through an era of computers without OS competition (the 90s), that we would appreciate the pace of development with two extremely viable platforms with different goals (broad base of customers vs. sell hardware).

If one ecosystem completely marginalized the other, we'd still be stuck with this nonsense.

Android-2.3-Gingerbread-OS.jpg

or

photo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom