• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung has nothing to lose they're already dropping. I guess they're trying anything and everything. Won't this make dev support not as good though?

Cheebo

Banned
I always get the feeling the phone market in the US works in mysterious ways when I see all that talk about which carrier is carrying which phones. Over here there are like eight major carriers who carry pretty much every phone from the big brands. Getting Sony phones over here has never been a problem. For example, if I want a Z3C now I can pick one from seven different carriers. Even for relatively new brands on the market here like Huawei and Honor that goes.
No it's more of a sony issue. When new iPhone comes out its on all the major carries. When new Galaxy is out all major carriers. new HTC one same thing.

UFO

Banned
I always get the feeling the phone market in the US works in mysterious ways when I see all that talk about which carrier is carrying which phones. Over here there are like eight major carriers who carry pretty much every phone from the big brands. Getting Sony phones over here has never been a problem. For example, if I want a Z3C now I can pick one from seven different carriers. Even for relatively new brands on the market here like Huawei and Honor that goes.

In the US you can walk into any electronic store or carrier store and find dozens of Samsungs to buy, fewer LG's, Moto's and HTC's but still usually there, and of course a separate section will have all the Apples. Sony has almost no presence. Not at Best Buy, and very rarely at carriers. It took me a long while to track down a Z3 at a Tmobile store, and eventually a Z3v at Verizon. Still never seen a Z3 compact in person.

If HTC Can do it sony can do it. Their product rollout is embarrassing. Any time I ever came close to considering a Z-whatever it was nulled by having to wait forever and moving on.

By the time a Sony flagship comes out in the US, the next flagship from Samsung, LG, or HTC is about to come out. They also offer nothing special in the market and have no marketing. I've only ever met one person with a Sony phone in the last few years and he was getting rid of it and buying my Galaxy S4.

NH Apache

Banned
I seriously don't understand this Do Not Disturb feature on Android 5.0. I have set it to automatically activate from 11 to 6. Get it says a sound when receiving messages.

If I put it to Do Not Disturb manually in the Notification Center, then the alarm clock won't wake me up in the morning.

It's frustrating me. :(

This is my greatest gripe with Lollipop. Sounds are handled horribly.

Such as? Which phone would you go to in the same price range? The Note 4 is the only comparable phone.

One Plus One offers awesome battery(MKBHD uses it as his daily driver when he needs good battery. He used it during CES). It's build quality is also awesome and mine has been mistaken for an Iphone 6+ many times. Camera is also good using the stock camera. It's also only $300 off contract.

I got mine cheap off of ebay so I'll live with it. So if the rumors are true about the AT&T LG G3 getting lollipop this week, then LG will beat Motorola to the punch.

The pure edition goes on sale next week for $360 direct from Moto . Try to return the ebay one. Your updates will always be an issue with that ATT phone, not just this time.

One Plus One offers awesome battery(MKBHD uses it as his daily driver when he needs good battery. He used it during CES). It's build quality is also awesome and mine has been mistaken for an Iphone 6+ many times. Camera is also good using the stock camera. It's also only $300 off contract.
Ah crap I forgot all about the 1+1. Fair enough. But for almost the entire year, it was difficult to obtain one.

Moto X? With tax thats about $390. I bought mine used for close to $100 less than that, so I'll live with slower updates. The amount of bloat that AT&T includes is unreal however.

$100 dollars less for a phone that is used and will get updates 3-4 months late for every os release? My pure edition from last year got every iteration of kitkat. The carrier models were lucky to get one.

To each his own i guess.

this_guy

$100 dollars less for a phone that is used and will get updates 3-4 months late for every os release? My pure edition from last year got every iteration of kitkat. The carrier models were lucky to get one.

To each his own i guess.

I change phones every few months so I'd rather save the $100 bucks. But for those who actually keep their phone for 1-2 years before upgrading, I agree with you and would rather have the pure edition for the $100 bucks for that length of time.

I change phones every few months so I'd rather save the $100 bucks. But for those who actually keep their phone for 1-2 years before upgrading, I agree with you and would rather have the pure edition for the $100 bucks for that length of time.

Fair enough. Lets hope that HTC impresses

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Good move for them as a company. Just open source the drivers.

Jigolo

I'm surprised it took them this long. Samsung has been making Exynos chips for how many years now? If they truly want to be Apple-like, they should've made the switch years ago.

Tech support request:

I'm a total Android noob, but fairly tech savvy otherwise. My wife and I bought our kids cheap Android tablets for Christmas. (Polaroid PTAB 735 Tablet - Android 4.4.2) They only had 4GB of onboard storage, but hey, they're Android, we can just drop an SD card in them to give them however much space they need, right? Of course the kids fill up the ~2GB space available within about 30 seconds with insipid Talking Tom apps. Check the specs, the PTAB735 can handle up to 32GB Micro SD cards, so we get some and drop them in.

The tablet recognizes the card, and it seamlessly finds and plays music I preloaded on to one of the cards, but I can't get any of the apps to either install or move to the card to free up the onboard memory. Look up a tutorial, it says under Settings > Apps > randomapp that there should be a "Move to SD Card" button. On the tablets, no such button appears. On a hunch, I force stop the app I want to move, still no button. Reboot the tablet, still no button.

No problem, I think to myself, I'm probably doing something dumb, fortunately, I've got a Android-fanatic buddy coming to stay with a few days, I'll ask him about it (I've helped his mother-in-law on tech issues for free and we're putting him and his wife and kids up for free for 4-5 days, so I feel no guilt.) He takes one, installs AppMgr III on it and hands it back saying that should let me move it. No dice, all it lets me do is Open, App info, View on Play Store, Uninstall, and Recommend to Friends. I've got the free version, but the Pro features don't mention anything about moving apps and I'm not going to risk wasting money on what appears to be a dead end. I show this to my buddy, he fiddles with it for ~20 minutes, does a few searches, and tells me we're SOL, he thinks the manufacturer removed the ability in the ROM.

I do some more searching on my own and find there's apparently been some rethinking of how Android handles apps' access to external storage. That doesn't sound like it should apply in this case (again, I'm just trying to move apps off the onboard memory and on to the SD card,) but what do I know, I'm a noob. So I install a couple of "patches" to fix the issue (NextApp SDFix and KitKat External SD Card Patch.) Running those tell me that I need to root my device and run them as superuser. Understandable, I guess, given that they are going to "patch" the OS, but I wonder if this isn't another dead end. It seems odd to me that such a common use case (augment paltry onboard memory with external memory) would require such complex implemention (not that rooting or running something su is that complex for me, it's that it seems complex for the masses that are have the same use case.)

tl;dr: What is the "official" way in Android 4.4.2 to install an app straight to the SD card? Is there an "official" way to move a previously installed app?

Wreav

Banned
Congrats! You've been Androided! It's working as intended. 5.0 will kinda sorta fix some of that, but those lowly Polaroid (snicker) tablets will never see 5.0 so moot point I guess.

Your best chance is rooting.

3phemeral

Even with some 4.4 Roms you won't be able to access the SD Card for...reasons. On a build of CM I have for my Galaxy Note 10.1, some apps will recognize the SD cards and will save to it (Beyond Pod, Youtube, Google Music), while others will not (Udemy). It also doesn't allow me to transfer the app to the SD card, so if you're going to do the whole custom ROM thing, be diligent about finding the one that supports it completely.

Linius

No it's more of a sony issue. When new iPhone comes out its on all the major carries. When new Galaxy is out all major carriers. new HTC one same thing.

In the US you can walk into any electronic store or carrier store and find dozens of Samsungs to buy, fewer LG's, Moto's and HTC's but still usually there, and of course a separate section will have all the Apples. Sony has almost no presence. Not at Best Buy, and very rarely at carriers. It took me a long while to track down a Z3 at a Tmobile store, and eventually a Z3v at Verizon. Still never seen a Z3 compact in person.

Sounds bad. I bet if Sony would be widely available they'd have a much bigger market share with the phones they offer. I wonder what's going wrong for them in the US. Sounds like product suicide how they handle Xperia devices over there.

Pachimari

I seriously don't understand this Do Not Disturb feature on Android 5.0. I have set it to automatically activate from 11 to 6. Yet it says a sound when receiving messages.

If I put it to Do Not Disturb manually in the Notification Center, then the alarm clock won't wake me up in the morning.

It's frustrating me. :(

Anyone can explain this?
I'm confused and it's almost screwing up my mornings.

terrier

Compared to other flagships there are better batteries, cameras, and build qualities. Why would I go Sony?

Really?

Phones with similar , overall, camera build quality and battery life as Z3/Z3C

iphone6+
Note 4
Nexus 6 -> waterproof too (not same level but stil..)

M8 better sound but camera is average
Galaxy S5 worse battery life
LG G3 worse battery life

Really, most flaghsips are comparable these days, it's up to personal preferences but unless you are nitpicking you will be satisfied with any of the. The only one that , imo, has a problem is M8 and its weird camera that makes it hard to recommend if you really use it. They seem to have adressed the issue after m7 and m8, with the upcoming m9 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom