• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveBish

I've been using android since droid 1 hit verizon, and i've never seen 2 of the same apps running at the same time. Maybe its a lolipop thing?

And yah, my note 2 works flawlessly for me, i really have no reason to upgrade, its a damn shame. Phone industry needs a shake up. And US carriers are just the worst thing to happen to android. What would be a huge selling point for me, would be if you could boot up a phone for the first time, and choose a GPE rom or the factory rom from oem. That would be a huge big deal for me to upgrade, because CM can DIAF, such a horrible mess it is.

Hasney

If you want a 6 inch phone why not get the Nexus 6? If it's due to the off-contract pricing a Z4 Ultra is never going to come to a major carrier in US either.

My carrier in the UK, Three, have pretty much carried every Xperia Z phone released in the west.

Jigolo

Sony has an amazing phone it their hands. There are only two problems with the Z brand since it's start. Availability and price.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Full size

B8cIdk3CYAEzATg.png:orig

Evleaks don't care

I'll still praise HTC allllll day for sticking to 5 inches on the flagship in a year where I'm sure LG and Samsung are going to measure their dicks.

Groof

I'll still praise HTC allllll day for sticking to 5 inches on the flagship in a year where I'm sure LG and Samsung are going to measure their dicks.

Life will not be good if LG decides to go bigger than 5.5". The G3 was a perfect size imho and they should stick with that.
The design too. Just make it out of nicer materials. And no fucking sharpening filter on the display.

Sony has an amazing phone it their hands. There are only two problems with the Z brand since it's start. Availability and price.
This. Z line is great besides minor issues. If Sony were to cut its mobile division, I'll just get whatever phone impresses me the most.

I have no brand allegiance. I've had a Samsung, LG, and now Motorola. OEM have to dress to impress this year.

Wreav

Banned
Just saw this. This might be enough to make me jump back over. But Play Music is too good with being able to upload your own stuff.

Honestly, I do love Spotify, but this is a marginal feature for me. Much more convenient to chromecast spotify than to turn on the PS4.

this_guy

You rather have bezel than extra screen real estate? The M8 was just as big as the G3 (except when it came to screen size)

The HTC Desire Eye is bigger than the G3 but has a smaller screen.

I wonder if they got the USB port on the M9 right this time. I never understood why it's not centered.

Speaking of USB, how far are we away from the reversible micro USB port? If I can't get wireless charging, I want at least that.

Please be real, M9 picture.

If it has an 810 is this thread going to say it's a POS?

Oh, believe me. It's already the worst phone of the year. 810 chip, HTC logo on the front. Terrible, just terrible. HTC is doomed.

Hasney

I am seriously thinking that providing a few things (Sony no show at MWC, great battery in the M9 and at least clocks faster than the Z3) then that sexy beast will be mine come Aprilish.

Assuming the bigger one has a big ass battery, since the M8 had a fairly small one but it held its own.

Yeah, I'm thinking of it as my next phone as well. Pretty much improved everything I wanted to see. "Better" camera with no more ultrapixel crap, power button moved to side, and smaller bezels. Sense is one of the only custom skins I can stand so no issue for me there either. Hopefully, they do a GPE version like the M8 so we can flash stock on it if needed.

I really hope the mobile division doesn't fall through. Seriously, they make some great shit, but they need to be way more accessible and have overall better marketing.

Cheebo

Banned
Sony has done literally everything possible to kill their phone divison. Just continuing to shoot themselves in the foot. I really don't expect it to be around still in 2 years time.

Linius

I always get the feeling the phone market in the US works in mysterious ways when I see all that talk about which carrier is carrying which phones. Over here there are like eight major carriers who carry pretty much every phone from the big brands. Getting Sony phones over here has never been a problem. For example, if I want a Z3C now I can pick one from seven different carriers. Even for relatively new brands on the market here like Huawei and Honor that goes.

RedFyn

I'm not a fan. The regular one looks decent but I don't like that style (the iPhone like rounded edges) and the bezels are still way to big. The plus on the other hand just looks awful. The Samsung button and the HTCBezel™ are ugly.

I wonder how big these are. Is this another case of the m8 vs g3 or iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6?.

Hasney

I'm not a fan. The regular one looks decent but I don't like that style (the iPhone like rounded edges) and the bezels are still way to big. The plus on the other hand just looks awful. The Samsung button and the HTCBezel™ are ugly.

I wonder how big these are. Is this another case of the m8 vs g3 or iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6?.

Apparently 5" and 5.5"

Hasney

That's the screen size, not the phone size

Well yeah. I'm guessing by bezel size and getting a fingerprint reader in there, the bigger one will be very close to the iPhone 6 Plus while the other one will be about the regular iPhone 6 since the bezels look smaller since they don't need to have the home button/scanner on there.

RedFyn

Well yeah. I'm guessing by bezel size and getting a fingerprint reader in there, the bigger one will be very close to the iPhone 6 Plus while the other one will be about the regular iPhone 6 since the bezels look smaller since they don't need to have the home button/scanner on there.
Thats what I was referring to in my original post. If this thing (the m9+) is as big as the nexus 6 with .5 less screen size... I could forgive them for the screen size difference with the g3 because of the speakers but they don't have that advantage with the n6.

this_guy

On every carrier not on ATiT. You should have gone with a pure edition. I've been rocking Lollipop since December.

I got mine cheap off of ebay so I'll live with it. So if the rumors are true about the AT&T LG G3 getting lollipop this week, then LG will beat Motorola to the punch.

Hasney

In case there was still any doubt, Samsung definitely seems to not be using the 810.

Qualcomm: Snapdragon 810 Not in Upcoming Cycle of “Large Customer’s Flagship Device”

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/2...ustomers-flagship-device-lowers-expectations/

Edit: This doesn't actually point to the chip overheating though. I personally believe Samsung just wants to keep more of the hardware in house, globally.

Agree with the edit. I mean, it might actually still overheat, but it would have been odd if Samsung didn't pull the trigger on using their own chips exclusively this year now they're pretty much feature complete.

Pachimari

I seriously don't understand this Do Not Disturb feature on Android 5.0. I have set it to automatically activate from 11 to 6. Get it says a sound when receiving messages.

If I put it to Do Not Disturb manually in the Notification Center, then the alarm clock won't wake me up in the morning.

It's frustrating me. :(

In case there was still any doubt, Samsung definitely seems to not be using the 810.

Qualcomm: Snapdragon 810 Not in Upcoming Cycle of “Large Customer’s Flagship Device”

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/2...ustomers-flagship-device-lowers-expectations/

Edit: This doesn't actually point to the chip overheating though. I personally believe Samsung just wants to keep more of the hardware in house, globally.

Ouch. The bad thing for them is I can't see Samsung going back to Qualcomm after successfully using their own processor in a phone, so they've probably lost their business forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom