• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime Mafia |OT| My Little Scum can't be this cute! ()

My problem is that I've played scum so much that I don't know how to play town, especially vanilla. This game wasn't my best but I tried and I will take this experience and learn for the next game.

My problem is that I've played scum so much that I don't know how to play town, especially vanilla. This game wasn't my best but I tried and I will take this experience and learn for the next game.

I think you played really well, all things considered! There were several times where we in scumchat wanted to NK you, but something usually popped up.

Near the end of the game, you sort of tunneled in heavily, which comes off as Town, but we had to spin it as a scum tactic

Sophia

You were on the right train of thought, a lot of the time. I mentioned this in spectator chat tho, but it looked like you were doubting yourself a few times, and were looking for a power role near the end to confirm/deny your suspensions.

Dear dusk being scum mvp and dragonz being his vp, the tactic wasn't bad in concept. Dragonz named off most of the scum team following the logic.

That execution though... That credibility...

I appreciated the idea though. I think exo already mentioned hatmoza's chat play as well, that was good stuff.

But yeah, we took control pretty quick. Nk's were basically whoever annoyed us. Was worried about the Palmer one because he wouldn't shut up about bowlie but no one said anything. Didn't really worry about lynch until today with the Gambit.

I really liked playing scum though so was nice to get back into it. Hasn't been since hp

I think you played really well, all things considered! There were several times where we in scumchat wanted to NK you, but something usually popped up.

Near the end of the game, you sort of tunneled in heavily, which comes off as Town, but we had to spin it as a scum tactic

I tend to do that, especially in real life. And it's something I do as scum because many people perceive it as town. But when you're actually town, it's bad to do, because it prevents you from seeing the whole picture.

TheExodu5

Banned
Guys guys, can we just agree all of town sucked? ;)

I mean, exodu5 accidentally revealed information only scum could know and NOBODY NOTICED.

I totally did...was hoping no one would pick up on that. But to be fair, he posted in response to being asked for a read on Dragonz, so it wasn't TOO bad.

I still don't know what this is. @_@

Kawl says he was blocked from voting on someone, and I immediately assumed it was Dragonz. Even after the first time when he said he wouldn't say who it was, I still let it slip that it was Dragonz. I fucked up pretty bad there and could have been had for it.

Here's the post that could have done me in:

Not gonna clarify who it was on at the moment. Want to see what people's thoughts on it are. I'm more inclined to believe it is misdirection since using that power to protect a scum mate before a lylo situation seems foolhardy. The restriction was in place the previous day phase. I have full reign to vote whoever today.

If it was yesterday, we're looking at 4v9...I seriously doubt scum would use that power to save one of their own in that case. I agree with your assessment.

But I'm also curious...why would you bring this up now and not yesterday, suddenly when dragonz is picking up heat? The timing is suspicious.

Has anyone else been prevented from voting today? I think we should also consider that ultron may be prevented from voting for someone...we have no way of knowing, but his vote may be completely nullified, so we can't count on it. Keep this in mind if ever we're in a near tie situation.

Palmer_v1

Hey guys, remember that time I listed 3 or 4 of the 5 scum correctly, and then mysteriously died? Maybe that should have been followed up on a little bit.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hey guys, remember that time I listed 3 or 4 of the 5 scum correctly, and then mysteriously died? Maybe that should have been followed up on a little bit.
It's true. Once when I played Live Mafia and was a cop, I followed up a Palmer Read™ and got a red check.

Always follow Palmer.

Or kill him in case he's scum and misleading you!!!!

Palmer_v1

Oh, I protected Swamped > Cabot > Swamped...

Only reason i went for swamped is I was positive Swamped was the only vote on scum D1(Haly), which was later confirmed.

Honestly, it wasn't specifically the lack of a cop role that irks me, but the extremely low amount of PR roles that allowed town to get more information.

Ultron - Passive
Nomadic - Defensive
Skyodin - Passive
Hatmoza - Half Offensive, Half Supportive
Palmer - Defensive
Kyan - Passive
Dusk - Offensive
Kawl - Supportive

Out of all of these, only Hatmoza and Dusk had any direct control over what they learn during the night phase (and for Dusk it would be due to the death role message). Everyone else either has no control over it (like how Kyan survived Night 2) or had a power that provided them with no new information.

I can understand wanting to not let town get too much in the know, but this feels uneven, especially since we apparently had an above-average number of new players.

Honestly, it wasn't specifically the lack of a cop role that irks me, but the extremely low amount of PR roles that allowed town to get more information.

Out of all of these, only Hatmoza and Dusk had any direct control over what they learn during the night phase (and for Dusk it would be due to the death role message). Everyone else either has no control over it (like how Kyan survived Night 2) or had a power that provided them with no new information.

I can understand wanting to not let town get too much in the know, but this feels uneven, especially since we apparently had an above-average number of new players.

This is what I was saying

TheExodu5

Banned
Kyan knew he blocked someone. There's some information. Dusk could have used that information to deduce that Kyan was telling the truth (since there was no mafia NK). But he chose to keep the charade going letting town thing there was a possible misdirect.

Also Kawl and Polter were both vote blocked, and they withheld this. Kawl brought it up for a short while, but put it to rest due to fear of wifom.

There was information out there...town just chose not to use it.

As for Mafia's roles...the only one that really came in handy was the role cop which made us target Kawl. Ninja/Strongman and vote prevention never worked to our advantage.

Kyan knew he blocked someone. There's some information. Dusk could have used that information to deduce that Kyan was telling the truth (since there was no mafia NK). But he chose to keep the charade going letting town thing there was a possible misdirect.

Also Kawl and Polter were both vote blocked, and they withheld this. Kawl brought it up for a short while, but put it to rest due to fear of wifom.

There was information out there...town just chose not to use it.

As for Mafia's roles...the only one that really came in handy was the role cop which made us target Kawl. Ninja/Strongman and vote prevention never worked to our advantage.

?

I was never vote blocked. What are you talking about?

Also, I specifically mentioned how Kyan had no control over his power, not that he didn't learn anything.

Hosted by Burbeting
Written by Marvel
Bought by Disney

QvpdKz8.gif

IRON MAN will return in Anime 2 [Mafia] The Dark Swirl

hatmoza

I had fun.

My role was interesting. My gossip chat with Cabot was good insight to how mafia is played on Gaf so I won't feel like a stranger if I play again.

Dusk. Never gamble at the expense of your fellow town. You doomed yourself and the town to a degree.

Good game you scum bastards!

I had fun.

My role was interesting. My gossip chat with Cabot was good insight to how mafia is played on Gaf so I won't feel like a stranger if I play again.

Dusk. Never gamble at the expense of your fellow town. You doomed yourself and the town to a degree.

join the upcoming games and claim your revengeance, momoza!!!

cabot

I had fun.

sorry about brutally murdering you, gossip bro.

I don't regret ninja shooting you even though I knew you had no shots.

hatmoza

sorry about brutally murdering you, gossip bro.

I don't regret ninja shooting you even though I knew you had no shots.

Nothing to apologize about. I've done worse as mafia. It's part of the game. I would have done the same. The last thing scum needs is a semi-confirmed town growing confident with each passing day.

hatmoza

join the upcoming games and claim your revengeance, momoza!!!

I'll consider it but I don't like how easily lynch trains are formed here. In other games I've played, day 2 and after would go beyond fluff on deciding who to lynch. A lynch wouldn't happen unless confirmation of scum or if every calculation was made beforehand. And honestly in that prolonged discussion players would get more accurate reads and scum were easier to identify just based on play style and tells. Heck some would even slip-up.

Here things happened too fast and players are easily manipulated. Even though I had fun because of my PR and it kept me motivated, I would be pulling my hair out as a vanilla town this game.

I had fun.

Sorry but I'm just going to have to agree to disagree.

If i didn't gamble and trust my instincts i never would have killed Haly/Blargonaut

When your town you don't know much, so you have to be willing to make mistakes.

What's most important is trying to use the information gained from mislynches to try and benefit town. Which is something very few people were doing this game.

cabot

Sorry but I'm just going to have to agree to disagree.

If i didn't gamble and trust my instincts i never would have killed Haly/Blargonaut

When your town you don't know much, so you have to be willing to make mistakes.

What's most important is trying to use the information gained from mislynches to try and benefit town. Which is something very few people were doing this game.

Yes, killing Halarg was good, but instead of claiming and putting the onus on us to kill you and town seeing you as good as confirmed, you decided to further gambit which resulted in two mislynches.

Town could have used your claim to investigate who interacted with Halarg and who reacted to you knowing you were 90% likely to be Town. There was no reason to continue the gambiting unless you were so sure of your reads on D3, that you don't give a crap about the rest of town contributing to offer alternatives.

You had no reason to trust your own reads over anyone else's, enough to bring about a lynch mob.

3/4 of the game are Town, you need to accept that it's a team game, even if you don't know explicitly the identity of your other team members.

Yes, killing Halarg was good, but instead of claiming and putting the onus on us to kill you and town seeing you as good as confirmed, you decided to further gambit which resulted in two mislynches.

Town could have used your claim to investigate who interacted with Halarg and who reacted to you knowing you were 90% likely to be Town. There was no reason to continue the gambiting unless you were so sure of your reads on D3, that you don't give a crap about the rest of town contributing to offer alternatives.

You had no reason to trust your own reads over anyone else's, enough to bring about a lynch mob.

3/4 of the game are Town, you need to accept that it's a team game, even if you don't know explicitly the identity of your other team members.

The point of D3 wasn't to lynch scum.

The point of D3 was to create a situation where it was very difficult for scum to pretend to be town.

Dragonz followed my advice of re-reading the day looking for players that weren't fooled by my claim and was able to put together a pretty solid read list that had 3 scum on it.

She also spent D4, D5 pushing for a cabot lynch that would have got town their 2nd scum if they had listened to her.

Anyone could have claimed vigilante. Nobody knew enough about my role that you could actually read anything into people's reaction to it.

Scum team knew that Psylocke wasn't a role in the game. It made their reactions to the claim easier to seperate from town's.

Yes it's a team game, but if ¾ of the game are town, that means also that ¾ of Lynch trains you push will also be town. You can't always sit around waiting for confirmation that you're​ right.

Palmer_v1

The point of D3 was to create a situation where it was very difficult for scum to pretend to be town.

Dragonz followed my advice of re-reading the day looking for players that weren't fooled by my claim and was able to put together a pretty solid read list that had 3 scum on it.

She also spent D4, D5 pushing for a cabot lynch that would have got town their 2nd scum if they had listened to her.

Anyone could have claimed vigilante. Nobody knew enough about my role that you could actually read anything into people's reaction to it.

Scum team knew that Psylocke wasn't a role in the game. It made their reactions to the claim easier to seperate from town's.

Yes it's a team game, but if ¾ of the game are town, that means also that ¾ of Lynch trains you push will also be town. You can't always sit around waiting for confirmation that you're​ right.

Only in a vacuum. There were tons of scum tells that town just chose to ignore for fuck knows what reason.

Bowlies terrible voting D1.
Haly/Bowlie getting replaced and acting shady. Haly was just skating hardcore.
Oreo's terrible voting and flip flopping at day ends.
Exodus jumping in and immediately trying to target me. Nothing scummier to me than people going after players who are actually trying to look for evidence, be it wrong or not.
I hadn't looked at Cabot at all up to the point that I was killed, so I can't say for sure there, though it sounds like he was skating most of the game as well.

I think we were actually in a decent spot starting D3, but you side tracked everything by thunderdoming two townies without any evidence whatsoever. It means that all other reads were pointless until we resolved your shit. I ended up not posting my Oreo reads or pushing my anti-bowlie/squidyj agendas, and then died. There wasn't any need for your gambit on D3. It killed the pace of the game for town.

Edit:

Zero substance here. I wasted a whole phase on squidyj thanks to town flipping at the last goddamn minute. I'll happily die today if town promises to go after you and squidyj after they see my flip. I just feel bad squidyj got stuck with flakey teammates at the start, though you are at least making a strong start after the replacement.

Scum team is you, Oreo, squidyj, dead haly, and I'm not sure after that. I've posted why for two of you but I'll make my Oreo post later.

My exodus stuff came after this, but there you go.

*blushes*

cabot

Whats the reason for town counter claiming a vigi shot though?

You claim vigi, either you wont be counter claimed, or a non-town will counter claim. It makes no sense for Town to claim vigi if you already did.

Bowlie

Banned
I said before this game started that I'd give an anime PC game to someone who was the most anime during this thread.
I was waiting for their confirmation to talk about it here, because it's not as easy and safe trying to gift a game to someone in another continent, which has happened!

Congrats, Swampie, self-admitted creep! You fulfilled your difficult objective very well, which coincidentally was what I was looking for.
I didn't feel good endorsing this, so I changed my mind from "best representation" to "most" :p

She has received a copy of Nier:Automata, which is fun and others should play too~

Thanks everyone for this game, and burbs again for letting me do this.

Pls do senpai no hurries tho.

BB~

here is review:

your entry was commenting about the squidy cop claim, which was a safe sort of entry, probably didn't register much ripple into other players' mind. is good when you're not ready to be vocal town voice. your first effort was tacking meta-style into querying dragonz and squidy. meta is probably the only thing people can grab a hold onto D1, aside from fluff and mechanic discussion so this was understandable but gafia can react strongly against meta (unlike some other mafia communities out there).

619, 642 - good attempt at early reads.

you're then concerned with the no-lynch voters, calling them scummie. not that it's a set in stone hard rule, but generally, no lynch votes garner loads of attention and heat so scummies are not super known to cast them willy nilly in gafia.

around the #800postmark ish hey_monkey marked you in one of her posts and you replied aggressively saying that she was throwing slight shade and that was scummy and you voted for her. almost immediately, cabot questioned you (the way he questioned your suspicion on dragonz and squidy based on meta). scum sometimes do this. bottie did it excellently, but what he did was generating doubt and avenues for discussions that would lead to town vs town result

cabot did this again on #984 questioning your vote on ultron and leading you to put into words your suspicion on ultron, which may also raised others to follow through and solidify your own reads against ultron (another town)

and that was your D1 in animay

D2

cabot straightaway put a vote on you.
monkey said you felt like town to her and palmer scumread you.

and so your first post in D2 was defending yourself against inactivity and palmer

you seem to be away most of the beginning of D2, and generating mostly null reads to other players. your next read is at post no. 1464, which was a very, very safe read. as town players, you want to be as town as possible. in gafia, we've seen scums out-towning towns (i.e. cabot).

D3

you began D3 with a vote on polter, which is a stronger entry than your D2. unfortunately, the rest of D3 was railroaded by dusk's gambit

D4&5

you began with D4 Dusk vote. like any sane person would :>

post #2276 shows you're thinking cabot is town because of the order of hatmoza's death. it's a good rationale, but i think you have to factor in the experience of the player involved. in this case, cabot is a veteran gafia player who may just have the skills required to be able to structure what an event may be interpreted as, in town's eyes

post #2323 has cabot leading you on by being agreeable to you and asking for your scum reads. he has read that you think him town and he's solidifying his position in your mindsphere. he verbalized it fully in his reads #2331

#2339 you voted oreo. good pick. and oreo immediately react #2347 very defensively. defensiveness isn't a particular trait of scum/town but it is a good additional marker if you already have other build up of someone's style in terms of their tone, activity level and playstyle.

#2351 you moved to rac................ by accident?

#2364 reads. notably you picked 30years for having dropped the concept of harem early on as a very strong bias-confirmation of him being the neutral. be careful about confirmation biases in mafia~

#2430 reads. unfortunately you picked cabot and bowlie/fep as your town picks. again this is a case of scums appearing more townie than most town. so it's not on you, really. cabot played really well :3

#2433 cabot fanned your tunnel against 30years that he is the harem maker. tbf, he really believed that, so this is all genuine, but scums are always quite eager to take neutral threats out of the game. for example, during the first ever gafia game, scums were entirely obsessed with finding and killing the serial killer. neutral faction represents a threat to both town and scum, but you have to remember scum's numbers are a few compared to town's and each of their members are very valuable to them, therefore, a threat of a serial killer or an arsonist lights a considerable amount of pressure under their butts.

#2481 you picked up on polt's obsession with the neutral faction. gj.
#2500 you advised town that the best thing for town is to go after scum. double gj!

#2524 oreo (a scum) trying to convince that going after neutral is as beneficial to town as going after scum. uh-huh.
#2544 wow. what are the chances that the two dropouts were scummies? wow. such question!

D6

Began the unfortunate theory that females = town and males = scum.

#2602 squidy asked how the harem still relevant. this was a good question. a townie question.

#2745 cabot dropped that he is still town reading you. he knows he has pocketed you by this time. in the same post, he sowed the seeds of doubts between polter and rac into dragonz's mindsphere.

#2838 is reading too much into flava.

D7

great question to fep to begin the day. #2869

#2906 more pressure on fep. the logic follows through, too.

unfortunately, D7 was turboed straight to scummies' victory soon after :<

So that was my review! Overall, you showed really good ability to pick up on the small but suspicious markers, like how you picked on fep at the end and how you occasionally smelled bad smells from oreo. unfortunately, i think cabot managed to charm you quite early on, and so you were kept alive because you were basically in his pocket. (this happened to me too in star wars, where i was 100% sure palmer was town) (he wasn't!) (that scumbag!!!) ( ; __ ; ) (they kept me alive until the end of days because i was in his pocket) (ugeh)

Hope that helps somewhat :>

Thanks again for playing GAF murder simulator ! Looking forward to see more of BB in future games :D

Swamped

Banned
I said before this game started that I'd give an anime PC game to someone who was the most anime during this thread.
I was waiting for their confirmation to talk about it here, because it's not as easy and safe trying to gift a game to someone in another continent, which has happened!

Congrats, Swampie, self-admitted creep! You fulfilled your difficult objective very well, which coincidentally was what I was looking for.
I didn't feel good endorsing this, so I changed my mind from "best representation" to "most" :p

She has received a copy of Nier:Automata, which is fun and others should play too~

Thanks everyone for this game, and burbs again for letting me do this.

And I can't wait to play it (((o(*&#65439;&#9661;&#65439;*)o)))

Bowlie has inspired me to do something similar in the future. I'm thinking I'll go a giveaway at the next Gafia-themed game, would be pretty fun, no?

Top Bottom