• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

B.O.O.M

Only issue lack of new classes...this just feels boring. Maybe they will have some revealed later who knows. Hopefully single player campaign this time around won't be utterly shit either. Core gameplay mechanics were fine in Destiny 1 so keeping that constant is fine imo.

And is lack of new enemy types confirmed? I saw a few ppl mention it. Cz if so that sucks too.

Carn82

Was the rumor that they switched engines true for Destiny 2? Have they said anything about that?

Switch it with what? Bungie uses in house technology. Destiny's Tiger engine still has parts from Blam (Halo) in it. It's very modular. During the GDC post mortem they acknowledged that its future proof, except that content iteration took way longer than expected. An educated guess is that they focused on that and improved the rest wherever they could.

SoulClap

It was about what I expected. PVE looks to be as good as ever, meanwhile on the PVP side they continue to make the experience slower and less interesting.

I was never expecting the game to be 60 FPS or have dedicated servers on consoles, so lack of progress there didn't really change my outlook.

Zakalwe

Banned
No new classes or enemy races is just not what you expect out of a sequel.

Destiny is almost certainly always going to be about the Hunter/Titan/Warlock trio.

And if that's true that's an absolutely fine design choice. It's what they do within those classes and the rest of the game that matters.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought it was a good reveal that shows that they're listening to criticisms, particularly in story and making end game activities accessible. The outline for what they want to do with Patrol was exciting but I wish that they had shown a demo of it. I think that'll be the real differentiating factor. Hopefully that's on tap for E3.

Have they talked about the engine at all? I know one of the major issues for Destiny was that it was near impossible to change anything in the world. I remember the example they gave was moving a resource node would literally take two days because of how the engine was designed.

Did they fix this problem with D2?

Also D2 was a shit name.

I was hoping that the sequel was going to hit some of Destiny 1's missed milestones. Like "those mountains... you can go there" kinda thing. At least the story looks greatly improved.

How do we know there isn't more left to reveal? Peeps need to slow their roll.

TM94

As someone who only played vanilla Destiny, and enjoyed it quite a bit. It looks like DLC to me, not a sequel leap forward.

Yep. Looks like they're just pandering to their (large and very profitable) fanbase that stuck with them for destiny 1.

I will probably skip it unless it has something to offer as a pure shooter campaign outside of the loot treadmill garbage.

Pejo

I'm still going to get it and play with my friends, and I hope this new engine allows for updates easier than the old one, so there's quicker fixes and more added content.

That said, I'm majorly bummed out that there weren't both a new base class and brand new subclasses for each class.

There's still time for all of that, plus new weapon classes and all sorts of things, so I'll still be paying attention.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Have they talked about the engine at all? I know one of the major issues for Destiny was that it was near impossible to change anything in the world. I remember the example they gave was moving a resource node would literally take two days because of how the engine was designed.

Did they fix this problem with D2?

Also D2 was a shit name.
In the Activision conference call they said they had a much improved pipeline for making and delivering content.

The Goat

Yeah, all the new stuff seems to be under the hood. I was really hoping to be blown away, but it was mostly underwhelming. I'm already sick to death of fighting Cabal, Taken, Fallen, and Hive. Putting a 2 on anything is a big deal. People expect big things. I wasn't really expecting such a let down for a reveal :(

Maybe E3 will hold more, but for now, it does really look like more of the same unfortunately.

BraXzy

You can tell in this thread who didn't played the Taken King expansion. D2 is expanding on the Taken King system not Vanilla Destiny.

I played hundreds of hours of vanilla.. I played hundreds of hours of TTK...

It still disappointed me and I don't think what has been shown so far is worthy of a numbered sequel.

Symbiotx

I have a question for those who are technically minded and played a bit of Destiny 1. Were there any major graphical updates you noticed for the destiny 2 gameplay? I saw some screen space reflection that I don't think was in Destiny 1, but not much else.

I think the reveal did a poor job of showing graphical differences, but they're definitely there. Watching gameplay of the new strike and PvP look much different. Smoother, crisper, better lighting, more cartoony almost, super nice looking.

PvP footage: https://youtu.be/5reeuarp6g4?t=2m43s

daman824

I was dissapointed to see bullet sponge bosses in the campaign mission. Like they couldn't have made those encounters any more exciting?

Deadstar

Why the hell would you want it to feel different moment to moment? I mean, more refined with some additions sure, but different?

The moment to moment game play in D1 was perfection. The problem was the lack of social tools (fixed) and amount of content at launch.

The expansions - TTK especially - made Destiny 1 a great game. It wasn't perfect, sure, but it also didn't need any kind of drastic overhaul.

Anyone expecting one was being ridiculous.

Poor wording on my part. I want more options. Give me an extra power to use that sets my class apart from the others. The classes have always felt way too similar. I don't need something completely different, but it SHOULD feel different, as in better, than the last game. "Oh, now I can do this!" or "Oh cool, now I have this extra option. Now fights are more interesting!"

Yep. Looks like they're just pandering to their (large and very profitable) fanbase that stuck with them for destiny 1.

I will probably skip it unless it has something to offer as a pure shooter campaign outside of the loot treadmill garbage.

You can still target the same audience and make improvements. No one would complain about a better experience.

Zakalwe

Banned
Especially. It looks boring as fuck.

Destiny 1 has arguably the best FPS mechanics of the generation so far (even if you prefer something else, you'd have to admit it was up there).

Did you play the first game at all? Do you like FPS and co-op FPS?

Raids, Strikes, Nightfalls... all the co-op stuff in D1 is amongst the best co-op content ever created, and that's not hyperbolic at all. Just look at the Destiny OTs or visit the Discord channel, people love this game for a very good reason.

Drewboy64

You can tell in this thread who didn't played the Taken King expansion. D2 is expanding on the Taken King system not Vanilla Destiny.

This is such a tired strawman that people who defend Destiny use. Plenty of people (like me) have put hundreds of hours into TTK and Rise of Iron. Just because I enjoy a game doesn't mean I can't have huge critiques of it.

I thought Breath of the Wild was one of the best games ever, but I still had several things I could critique about it.

That said, the things in Destiny (and apparently D2) are so basic and so glaring that it's incredibly frustrating to see them get overlooked. Granted, D2 may be fixing some of that, but we can't be sure yet.

Just look at the Strike gameplay footage. Nothing new added to that, and the loading screen was the same thing it always has been - your ships flying in the air while someone voices over what the strike is. No cinematics or cutscenes? No interesting co-operative mechanics? Nope, just a voice over and a linear path to the final boss.

I am disappointed but it still got me excited in a way only Destiny could. And seeing how they've handled the expansions for the game with a lot of reused assets like playing the same story maps backwards, I wasn't expecting more with the time constraints they have. I mean they reused the Tower for that demo they showed. Hopefully the new areas are actually new areas and not modified versions of the same maps we've been playing for years

My history with this game have always been strainous. Even though I'm not a Destiny player, I'm a big Bungie fan, and like many of you I've watched wayside as Destiny was miscommunicated.
Someone earlier in this thread said that they hoped D2 would be what D1 was marketed as. But the whole problem about Destiny is that the marketing was terrible, inconsistent and paradoxical in it's messaging.
"It's a first person shooter like Halo- but 10 times as big" / "It's a MMO with a 10 year development cycle we will update for atleast a decade".

We know from the original documents that was leaked in 12 that there was no way a sequel was going to be a sequel sequel:

With that being said you do have to wonder (yet again) why communication is poor. Destiny 2 is a fresh start that lets them start over- But it looks to continue from where the first game looks on, and its content looks like its previous expansions stitched together. So being surprised that people have misguided expectations of something like this with "2" in its name is not super surprising.

Maybe there are major changes to the way the game works that justify breaking from the first game instead of doing expansion? Maybe it's under the hood, in the tech? But regardless, Bungie is not doing a good job at clarifying things. Just like all the PC reveal news was undercut by the release date.

I asked several people in the Destiny threads about this, and Kalamari basically nailed it last year when he said;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=203057659&postcount=1762

And really. If Destiny took 5 years of development, and the development team spent the time after 2014 trying to fix destiny while building expansions, there was no way in hell that a sequel would have been a new sequel in the sense of having a new engine and major improvements.
It's just not possible when all your staff is focused on keeping something alive as a service.

Look- Blizzard went through the same thing. After WoW came out, for a long time (quite a few years) Blizzard was not doing anything other than WoW. their development teams where not making strides in other areas. And the reason for that is clear- When you have a MMO, it's not just a game, but a service. A service which takes all your attention and support all of the time.

Bungie is most likely still in a phase of figuring out how it operates effectively, and it will probably take a couple of more years before it figures out how to really get cracking at other projects while it manages to juggle supporting Destiny with lesser staff, lesser resources and more on the backburner.

3 years is nothing for a MMO. Destiny hasn't even really fixed its baby fat yet. It's not riped or matured, and I've always felt it's a weak ass move to say you'll support a game for potentially a decade and then skip bail to a new engine instead of fixing your shit and making your shit amazing.

I think a lot of this frustration comes from calling it Destiny 2. It's a weird naming scheme, but they already called some of their updates 2.0. It's been poorly communicated and articulated and that leads to players having insane expectations, and here we are.

I really hope Destiny 2 will be a game that is fucking massive to the brim with variety and content and loot. Destiny was mamed and plauged by struggling with its tech. It would be nice to think that they have a better workflow now that allows them to pump out better content much faster.
I hope for the best. :)
Messaging and communication is definitely and almost always has been a issue at Bungie. It's crazy that they still suck at conveying things after so long.

Just the title of this game fucked it. It's called Destiny 2 and this does not look like something that deserves the title. Even the dumbness of the 2 being gigantic rubs it in your face more that this should be something more substantial than Destiny: The Red Legion (with added social features).

Everything looked like what people actually expected from the DLC for Destiny 1 versus the piece meal bullshit bungie actually made.

So much of it looked exactly like D1. The UI. The gameplay. Graphics look a little nicer not exactly a leap. More like "what if Destiny 1 had a PC version with some Gameworks BS turned on so now it has particles everywhere and kinda over the top AO"

I think the reveal did a poor job of showing graphical differences, but they're definitely there. Watching gameplay of the new strike and PvP look much different. Smoother, crisper, better lighting, more cartoony almost, super nice looking.

PvP footage: https://youtu.be/5reeuarp6g4?t=2m43s

The UI looks nicely refined as well. On Xbox One I remember hovering over weapon slots and waiting a second or so for all of my available weapons to load. Here it looks instant.

arcticice

yes, game looks and play the same, but it never really needed an improvement imo. The first game has awesome gameplay. i have never used pistols as much as i did in Destiny only because they were so beautifully crafted.

New content is good enough reason to give it a shot. However, me and friends have decided to give it a shot once every bit of content has been released in 2019 :D.

That's how we played the first one as well. 30$ for all content was well worth it.

Shikoba

I wouldn't say I'm disappointed... but I was expecting more from an all new game. It honestly just looks like an expansion for Destiny 1, as has been stated. Which I'm fine with tbh, but with the PS4 pro I was really hoping to see some graphical improvements. Perhaps there are some and I can't tell until I see it on 4K, but for now it just looks like... more destiny.

Another thing was the new environments. I dig the new moon settings and actual places, but at the same time from what we've seen so far none of them feel as interesting as the old planets. I know there is only so much you can do with a moon, but still. Must they (and everything weve seen in Destiny 2 so far) look super dark and dreary? I liked the bright orange sands of Mars and yellows of venus. Hoping we get some vibrant places as everything looked pretty dull by comparison to the first game.

I didn't play more than an hour of the first one, sadly. Got sidetracked with other games, didn't have PS+ for a few months, then expansions came and I felt locked out without buying in to something I wasn't sure I'd even commit too.

The game still looks like great fun, though I don't know the ins and outs to see finer details that fans would like. I only thought the presenters were having a really rough time, tripping over their words and losing the audience at times... that whole story concept seeming to be a contrived narrative and marketing justification for not carrying over people's progress made me put myself in Destiny player's shoes and think "wtf... this is just in service of attracting new players who don't want to feel behind, and not wanting to figure out the logistics" - but as I'm not one of those players, I just noted it and didn't feel personally annoyed by it, if anyone is. From my perspective, it probably has the intended effect of looking more accessible and inviting to new players.

Other than those observations, I'm kinda interested in not missing the boat on this one and getting in on it while it's fresh. Seems like the whole battlenet thing is probably going to print money and position it as an even bigger deal and pillar of their business.

Zakalwe

Banned
Messaging and communication is definitely and almost always has been a issue at Bungie. It's crazy that they still suck at conveying things after so long.

Just the title of this game fucked it. It's called Destiny 2 and this does not look like something that deserves the title. Even the dumbness of the 2 being gigantic rubs it in your face more that this should be something more substantial than Destiny: The Red Legion (with added social features).

Again though, a sequel doesn't have to change things up. It can just refine, and if the refinements and additions in D2 are good enough this game could be incredible.

The idea that a sequel has to be substantially different is bizarre.

Symbiotx

The UI looks nicely refined as well. On Xbox One I remember hovering over weapon slots and waiting a second or so for all of my available weapons to load. Here it looks instant.

Yeah definitely. It's like they took Destiny and made improvements to everything that needed improving. As someone who loved Destiny, everything I've seen of Destiny 2 looks better and I can't wait to play it.

Insaniac

Seeing how it all looks like an expansion pack yeah I'm a bit bummed.

yeah, for a reveal, it seemed absolutely bizarre that they literally showed nothing "new" so to speak. Yeah they showed a new strike and new pvp mode, but those are things we've seen before and gotten in DLC. Why not show the new "Lost Sectors" and stuff?

Especially odd that they showed such a boring strike.

anothertech

Nah. Visual upgrades are easy to see for anyone that actually plays destiny. All they need to change from D1 was content and storytelling. And they showed that and much more.

Not sure what else anyone was expecting. Hoping for more enemy types, but I don't expect them to show everything till E3. Cautiously optimistic.

Yeah. Previous history with Bungie I was expecting a Halo to Halo 2 kinda of transition, or a Halo 3 to Reach.

Instead we got Halo 3 to Halo 3: ODST.

pantsmith

Are people generally this underwhelmed by sequels? Is the expansion pack dig just because its an FPS? Change the game too much and you alienate your fanbase. Don't change the game enough and people call it an expansion pack.

IMO, as someone who loves Destiny but plays a lot of very different games, Destiny 2 looks like the kind of sequel where the people making it know exactly what you liked and didn't like about the original and have managed the delicate balance of refining that core Destiny experience into something similar but better in every way. And thats basically what a sequel should be.

I don't know what the expectation was, but they were never going to make Destiny into something else. It has too huge, too passionate a fanbase to think it needs to be a different game.

Yeah. Previous history with Bungie I was expecting a Halo to Halo 2 kinda of transition, or a Halo 3 to Reach.

Instead we got Halo 3 to Halo 3: ODST.

Like this is totally alien to me (no pun intended?) - Halo 2 is fundamentally the same as Halo, just with upgraded tech behind it, new ideas/mechanics, and refinement of the original.

Drewboy64

Also, considering Bungie designed the Warthog, a vehicle that is the definition of co-op, and the Scarab encounter, one of the coolest encounters in Halo 2 and 3, why are all the vehicles in Destiny boring, and why are all the strike bosses bullet sponges?

I haven't seen anything to the contrary in Destiny 2 yet

Zakalwe

Banned
Are people generally this underwhelmed by sequels? Is the expansion pack dig just because its an FPS? Change the game too much and you alienate your fanbase. Don't change the game enough and people call it an expansion pack.

IMO, as someone who loves Destiny but plays a lot of very different games, Destiny 2 looks like the kind of sequel where the people making it know exactly what you liked and didn't like about the original and have managed the delicate balance of refining that core Destiny experience into something similar but better in every way. And thats basically what a sequel should be.

I don't know what the expectation was, but they were never going to make Destiny into something else. It has too huge, too passionate a fanbase to think it needs to be a different game.

Exactly.

Many of the "it looks like an expansion" comments are probably from people who didn't play enough of the first to understand this.

Top Bottom