• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

What I mean is an extra power to use that isn't your ult, grenade or melee. If they added that and I'm not aware of it, then awesome!

Yeah to specify Hunters have a shadestep-like mobility option, Titans have a mobile barrier that they can shoot over (I think) and Warlocks have a healing/stat buff circle.

This sequel looks like a rush job because Bungie had to release it this year or else they would be taken over by Activision. This game needed to be pumped out quickly to avoid that fate. I'll wait until they come out with an expansion or two before jumping in this time because with only 4 planets I have a feeling this will be short on content for the vanilla version of it.

IMO, as someone who loves Destiny but plays a lot of very different games, Destiny 2 looks like the kind of sequel where the people making it know exactly what you liked and didn't like about the original and have managed the delicate balance of refining that core Destiny experience into something similar but better in every way. And thats basically what a sequel should be.

"Better in every way" shouldn't mean reducing the amount of players in PVP, no dedicated servers for an online only game, re-skinned enemies, no new classes, no improvement on framerate for consoles, etc.

Zakalwe

Banned
This sequel looks like a rush job because Bungie had to release it this year or else they would be taken over by Activision. This game needed to be pumped out quickly to avoid that fate. I'll wait until they come out with an expansion or two before jumping in this time because with only 4 planets I have a feeling this will short on content for the vanilla version of it.

Why does it matter if there are 1000 planets or 1 planet?

As long as the planets have enough content it doesn't matter at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Exactly.

Many of the "it looks like an expansion" comments are probably from people who didn't play enough of the first to understand this.
I think people that aren't all that familiar witn Destiny fail to realize just how small most of the expansions were. Only two expansions even added patrol spaces and not all of them had a raid.

Symbiotx

Exactly.

Many of the "it looks like an expansion" comments are probably from people who didn't play enough of the first to understand this.

Not only that, but those same people probably would've shit on it had all this content been in an expansion too. They'd go on about how it isn't worth it, how it's content that was held back, blah blah blah.

Destiny has been one of those games where people could never let go of salt from the vanilla launch. Bungie improved on almost every aspect of the game, and people still tear it down.

Zakalwe

Banned
"Better in every way" shouldn't mean reducing the amount of players in PVP, no dedicated servers for an online only game, re-skinned enemies, no new classes, no improvement on framerate for consoles, etc.

They commented on the frame rate thing and it males perfect sense. 30fps for a game of this scope is absolutely fine.

No new classes is perfectly fine too, if Destiny is only about the hunter/Warlock/Titan trio then that's a perfectly valid design choice.

Reducing the amount of players in pvp could be a good thing. We don't know till we actually try it.

No dedicated servers is pretty inexcusable, but they did mention the p2p solution is based around connection quality so it might not be a huge problem.

Honestly, most of your complaints are a bit silly. We need context.

Alienous

I think people that aren't all that familiar witn Destiny fail to realize just how small most of the expansions were. Only two expansions even added patrol spaces and not all of them had a raid.

So Destiny 2 is the expansion that those expansions should have been?

Solrac

i played more than 600h in destiny and right now as a player i feel insulted, they try to sold us a game that use almost everything from destiny at full price...

cripterion

D2 was never going to be a huge deviation from the original, nothing was broke. All D2 needed was:

Better visuals
Larger areas with more stuff to do
Party up system (Guided Games)
And then just more stuff in general.

The only thing that needed fixing was a lack of content and social tools. If we take their word for it they've fixed these things, but of course we've been fooled before.

Time will tell, but so far it looks very positive.

hmm....
http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-story-behind-the-making-of-destiny-1737556731

People say that there is too much criticism of the game on this board but it goes both ways...too many fans of the game can't take valid criticism and defend every aspect of the game, and how the sequel should be received or even talked about. (case in point people just entering this thread to complain about yet another negative Destiny thread).
Proper discussion cannot be had cause anything said is severly attacked or dismissed.

It is a disappointment to me cause I thought they would go back to the promise of the original game, make an epic game.

186ndteg84riwjpg.jpg

186ndtmch5it3jpg.jpg

186ndts9izgipjpg.jpg

Of course I need to see more to form a full picture in my head but what was shown was just more of the same.

Exactly.

Lmao, on the contrary I put in 1000+ hours across D1 and all of its expansions minus RoI.

I can say it looks like an expansion precisely cuz I've done the same shit they showed in the reveal hundreds of thousands of times.

They commented on the frame rate thing and it males perfect sense. 30fps for a game of this scope is absolutely fine.

No new classes is perfectly fine too, if Destiny is only about the hunter/Warlock/Titan trio then that's a perfectly valid design choice.

Reducing the amount of players in pvp could be a good thing. We don't know till we actually try it.

No dedicated servers is pretty inexcusable, but they did mention the p2p solution is based around connection quality so it might not be a huge problem.

Honestly, most of your complaints are a bit silly. We need context.

You're right about 30fps. 30fps with no dips, proper frame pacing, and rock solid input latency is absolutely good enough.

You're wrong about everything else.

This is shaping up to be Destiny 1.5. It's basically an expansion. That's just a fact

Zakalwe

Banned
hmm....

People say that there is too much criticism of the game on this board but it goes both ways...too many fans of the game can't take valid criticism and defend every aspect of the game, and how the sequel should be received or even talked about. (case in point people just entering this thread to complain about yet another negative Destiny thread).
Proper discussion cannot be had cause anything said is severly attacked or dismissed.

It is a disappointment to me cause I thought they would go back to the promise of the original game, make an epic game.

186ndteg84riwjpg.jpg

186ndtmch5it3jpg.jpg

186ndts9izgipjpg.jpg

Of course I need to see more to form a full picture in my head but what was shown was just more of the same.

Most of the critiques here are far from valid, they're people shitting on the game because it's the done thing to do. And most of the people shitting on it probably didn't even play the first one to the point they really understood its qualities.

Those of us who did understand the first games flaws in-depth and would be happy to discuss these things, but the drive-by shit-post nature of a huge amount of comments surrounding these games doesn't exactly prime the canvass.

cakely

Dude, c'mon, I'm entitled to my opinions. Just because GAF loves Destiny doesn't mean I have to. I didn't connect with the game because it failed to provide a continuously compelling experience and my tolerance for doing the same shit over and over (in the same damn map) is very low.

You can't deny this. This game was universally shit on

What?

Destiny generated more hate threads (like this one) here on GAF than any other game I can remember. Someone can correct me if there's another obvious candidate game that I've forgotten about.

Symbiotx

hmm....

186ndteg84riwjpg.jpg

186ndtmch5it3jpg.jpg

186ndts9izgipjpg.jpg

I like their revised pillars they have, because it better reflects what they want the game to be after working on Destiny for 3 years:

"A world that pulls you in."
"Amazing things to do."
"Always someone to play with."

Sounds good to me.

I really dislike several aspects of original Destiny and that game ended up being immensely unsatisfying for me in the long run. It was one of my most anticipated games prior to it coming out too so that was a bummer that I ended up not loving it.

Almost everything yesterday was a step in the right direction for me though and I'm pretty excited again for this. The changes to what you can do on the planets and not needing to go back to orbit are total game changers.

I'm a bit miffed there isn't a new class and it will be kind of gross if it comes out in an expansion but beyond that I came out of that reveal very optimistic.

Arcipello

visually i could not for the life of me tell the difference between the first game and this one... DLC is pretty much what i would call it at this point.

This sequel looks like a rush job because Bungie had to release it this year or else they would be taken over by Activision. This game needed to be pumped out quickly to avoid that fate. I'll wait until they come out with an expansion or two before jumping in this time because with only 4 planets I have a feeling this will be short on content for the vanilla version of it.

Damn. It sucks that this has to be the case.

I have a love/hate thing with Destiny, overall I really enjoy it, but even since it was released I kind of think of it as 'AAA Video Game Industry: The Game'.

cordy

Banned

That's actually subjective. Reducing players makes it a more tight team, I like that better than how many we had before. No dedicated servers? I've got no problem with that. Everything else I've got no problem with. I mean it depends on the person, it's not universal. I can see what they were going for.

Gxgear

In all honesty I knew I would be disappointed a long time ago, given Bungie's priority was too meet the 2017 release deadline- it was never about making a better game.

dugdug

Banned
This is shaping up to be Destiny 1.5. It's basically an expansion. That's just a fact

I mean...no, that's not a fact. It's literally Destiny 2.

I'm underwhelmed by the reveal, but, the game isn't out yet. I'll base my opinion on the final product.

Zakalwe

Banned
You're right about 30fps. 30fps with no dips, proper frame pacing, and rock solid input latency is absolutely good enough.

You're wrong about everything else.

Na, I completely disagree. The choice to base Destiny around 3 classes is perfectly valid and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. That's the game they're making and there's nothing wrong with that.

Same has having "only" four planets, etc...

We need context for any of this to matter. Shitting the bed because of expectations based on arbitrary ideas is pretty dumb.

LOL, ok. I guess I'm silly for wanting my games to run better and have more content.

Read what I wrote. You are being silly, yes.

Lmao, on the contrary I put in 1000+ hours across D1 and all of its expansions minus RoI.

I can say it looks like an expansion precisely cuz I've done the same shit they showed in the reveal hundreds of thousands of times.

One person to the contrary doesn't prove much. ;)

It looks like it fixes some of my major gripes with Destiny 1, but I was slightly disappointed to not see other enemy races or classes for guardians (they seem to be redesigned from what we already have). Of course, they didn't show everything, so I hope they are just keeping that content under wraps. I'm excited for the game though, and mostly its revamped social features (finally a form of matchmaking for raid and nightfall strikes, heck yeah).

That's actually subjective. Reducing players makes it a more tight team, I like that better than how many we had before. No dedicated servers? I've got no problem with that. Everything else I've got no problem with. I mean it depends on the person, it's not universal. I can see what they were going for.

Dedicated servers provide an objectively better online experience. Not even debatable.

Zakalwe

Banned
Dedicated servers provide an objectively better online experience. Not even debatable.

Obviously.

Most of your complaints are really silly though as they require context to be a real concern. Even the lack of dedi servers might not be a huge issue if their network solution works out.

Floody

Was only expecting more Destiny, so nope not here. Quite like some of the changes too, but will have to wait to see how much it actually changes to care too much about them at the moment.

Why does it matter if there are 1000 planets or 1 planet?

As long as the planets have enough content it doesn't matter at all.
Well the last games planets were pretty meager on content until they dropped the expansions and even then they weren't that content rich. Like I said this has rush job written all over it and I'll wait until they drop an expansion to purchase.

Flintty

They still haven't addressed the biggest most stupid glaringly obvious problem with the first one for me. I have a group of friends, there are four of us. We love to play Diablo 3 together. We love to play Overwatch together. We play all sorts together - most games let you group up with friends.

We could never play Destiny together unless it was in a raid. Why can't we do strikes and quests together and have the content scale in difficulty? So fucking simple but you fucked it again Bungie. One of us will be left out in the cold. Again.
Splitting into two groups of 2 isn't the answer.

We need context for any of this to matter. Shitting the bed because of expectations based on arbitrary ideas is pretty dumb.

You heard it here first folks. Expectations for better framerate and dedicated servers are now arbitrary ideas.

Good day in the morning. The online gaming community never ceases to amaze.

Exactly.

The irony in this is my buddy who is excited for it, cited that reason as to why he's excited lol. It does look like an expansion, in more ways than one.

Symbiotx

It's not a rush job, they extended development for a year. Yes, they had to meet a goal for this year, but with the extension, I think it's a reach to say that they were rushing things. The only thing that would reflect that is if the game was full of bugs at launch.

Everyone just focuses on the number of worlds and deems it a small expansion, but it's because they don't want to hear the things Bungie says like how it's the biggest game they've ever made. How it has tons of cinematics and story this time around, since that was the biggest mistake they made with Destiny 1. One map shown is twice the size of any of the areas from Destiny 1.

It's easier to just say LOL 4 planets, Destiny 1.5 when you're ignoring a lot of the info.

cripterion

Most of the critiques here are far from valid, they're people shitting on the game because it's the done thing to do. And most of the people shitting on it probably didn't even play the first one to the point they really understood its qualities.

Those of us who did understand the first games flaws in-depth and would be happy to discuss these things, but the drive-by shit-post nature of a huge amount of comments surrounding these games doesn't exactly prime the canvass.

Sounds like a clever way of saying the game is too good for some of us...

I like their revised pillars they have, because it better reflects what they want the game to be after working on Destiny for 3 years:

"A world that pulls you in."
"Amazing things to do."
"Always someone to play with."

Sounds good to me.

But that's the thing, it's been well documented how the original game didn't live up to its promise. Some of us were expecting that with budget, experience and time they would go back to it and make something much, much better.

SpokkX

No, it just cemented my disinterest with the series. I was hoping for total reinvention. Like, back to the drawing board, start from scratch, rethinking everything that Destiny is and can be. Instead, it's structurally identical to the first game. I'm sure Destiny people are stoked, but I don't want that. I suspect a lot of solo players feel the same way.

Yeah this echoes my ecpections.. D1 was ok but felt as if Bungie released a REALLY compromised vision of what they originally intended... i expected the sequel to fullfill original intentions. For example i am sure your ship was not meant as cosmetics originally

Now we get the same clunky structure just a bit more flashy.

This made me write of the Destiny franschise completely. They obviously want to create a basic/standard fps with lots of grind. No more, no less

Oh and "One planet is twice the size..".. twice of the small, cramped corridor like "planets" (aka levels) from d1? Yeah.. well that is not saying much since d1 lacked content for all its lifetime

Alienous

They still haven't addressed the biggest most stupid glaringly obvious problem with the first one for me. I have a group of friends, there are four of us. We love to play Diablo 3 together. We love to play Overwatch together. We play all sorts together - most games let you group up with friends.

We could never play Destiny together unless it was in a raid. Why can't we do strikes and quests together and have the content scale in difficulty? So fucking simple but you fucked it again Bungie. One of us will be left out in the cold. Again.
Splitting into two groups of 2 isn't the answer.

"We have a mode for people who want to play in groups of 4 - it's called the Crucible".

"So, you're saying just play the Crucible".

"I, uh, if you have three friends to play with I'm saying that's a 4 v 4 mode".

It looks good to me. It's Destiny, just more of it and with the rough edges hopefully smoothed over. As a sequel it does feel very safe but as a fan of the original I don't mind that too much. As long as they change enough to keep it fresh and their good post-launch support is improved I'll be happy.

Na, I completely disagree. The choice to base Destiny around 3 classes is perfectly valid and it's ridiculous to suggest otherwise. That's the game they're making and there's nothing wrong with that.

Same has having "only" four planets, etc...

One person to the contrary doesn't prove much. ;)

You're way off, here, but I know it's really hard to reason with Destiny Defense Force Marines.

I'll try to enjoy D2 for what if it is, but what it isn't is a true sequel

Zakalwe

Banned
Well the last games planets were pretty meager on content until they dropped the expansions and even then they weren't that content rich. Like I said this has rush job written all over it and I'll wait until they drop an expansion to purchase.

There's no indication at all of a "rush job". The only concern for that is how D1 launched.

So yeh, I understand people being sceptical, but the people shitting the bed without proper context are just being dumb.

You heard it here first folks. Expectations for better framerate and dedicated servers are now arbitrary ideas.

Good day in the morning. The online gaming community never ceases to amaze.

Just because you're grasping for a win by selectively quoting my posts doesn't mean everyone else can't see what you're doing.

Stop it, you're just looking foolish.

You're way off, here, but I know it's really hard to reason with Destiny Defense Force Marines.

I'll try to enjoy D2 for what if it is, but what it isn't is a true sequel

I've fullly aware of Destiny's issues. I was there since beta. The game had many, many flaws and some pretty fundamental ones.

That doesn't change the fact many of you are being ridiculous with your expectations and concerns here.

"Isn't a true sequel" is one of the dumbest things I've read ITT so far.

Sounds like a clever way of saying the game is too good for some of us...

Clever? Aw, shucks. :)

I'm not saying that at all, though. Don't put words in my mouth please.

Damn. It sucks that this has to be the case.

I have a love/hate thing with Destiny, overall I really enjoy it, but even since it was released I kind of think of it as 'AAA Video Game Industry: The Game'.
Me too. I believe they have a great world laid out but there isn't enough "meat and potatoes" in it. There wasn't enough to keep me coming back to the first one. I bought the first expansion and that was it, when the other ones were announced I just said "meh" and never came back. I hope I'm wrong. The beta will be make or break for me.

Question about Destiny 2

Will the subclasses from the first game return? or the 3 shown off are the only ones available?

It's looking like all of the subclasses from the first game will return (minus the bladedancer/sunsinger/defender, which have been reworked into new but similar subclasses) but we won't really know for sure because the stuff that was playable was stripped down.

Flintty

"We have a mode for people who want to play in groups of 4 - it's called the Crucible".

"So, you're saying just play the Crucible".

"I, uh, if you have three friends to play with I'm saying that's a 4 v 4 mode".

Lol :D

aed6911e-6711-4fab-81f6-ddb2882b8b51.jpg

Is it just me? It can't be just me.

Top Bottom