• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

Yes. I was looking for something that kept the core of Destiny but changed the approach. I didn't get that.

I'm also really disappointed seeing Destiny fans dismissing concerns so vociferously. Two of the top threads getting upvoted on DTG right now are mocking some relevant criticisms of the reveal based on the ridiculous strawman that people were expecting a completely new game.

How are those two things not antithetical to each other, though?

ornery

Tbh...

This whole thing sounds like when people want an artist to sell out rather than mostly appealing to their fanbase. I mean, Future's gonna be Future. He's still gonna talk about molly no matter how much they want to change him.

hey

i love you

I'm not disappointed, but I understand the disappointment for people that were hoping for more ambition from them. At the moment, it does feel a bit safe. Like they're just realizing what they originally intended for the first game. Luckily, I'm cool with that as long as there's a decent amount of content day 1.

It really looks just like rise of iron or any of the destiny 1 expansions. Just new content.

I have heard zero talk of any changes to gameplay or new features. The whole of the destiny 2 pitch seems to be "it's more destiny".

It does seem like another rush job which we can probably thank Activision for.

They will sell millions I'm sure but it will be to hardcore destiny fans. I don't see a lot of people disappointed by destiny 1 being drawn back in.

D3VI0US

The first game was a huge disappointment and I was hoping for the sequel to be more interesting but I am not hyped at all based on what they announced. As someone who is dying for a new multiplayer FPS to play I'm an easy sell and I wasn't sold. I might still get it if nothing else is out and it seems like a lean year, but as of right now I'm on the fence.

Ahh, you're a 'burned by vanilla" guy. You should always wait for more info before getting a game. People got overhyped and had crazy expectations for the original game. I accepted it for what it was and loved it. I never needed it to be more than what we got.
Yes sir I was burned, I know to not expect so much going into a game but I am a huge Halo fan so I know that Bungie is capable of awesome stuff. When I bought the game I was utterly disappointed by it, so now instead of it being a day one purchase it's on the wait and see list. I don't know if Bungie knows how to pull off an open world game. Everything was kind of this hallway links to this one kind of thing. I want to be wrong but I need to be proven I'm wrong first before I buy it.

geordiemp

You can tell in this thread who didn't played the Taken King expansion. D2 is expanding on the Taken King system not Vanilla Destiny.

yup, pretty easy to see the shooter players vs the salty ones

They need dedi servers for crucible though for sure

Symbiotx

To be unfair, though, the new game has PS4 Pro / PC to show off on (not sure what units they used to demo Destiny 2?) instead of standard PS4/Xbox boxes.

Also, the little bits of improvement visually are nice but perhaps don't show drastic leaps in technology that one might hope for in a numbered sequel (especially one that gets to restart the server base again and so doesn't depend on the old game for much of anything.) Remember that Destiny is a game that previously had to be built to run on old PS3 and 360 consoles; if anything, it's hard to see where Bungie freed up abilities where having to support last-gen kept down the engine. (There's always been a little bit of talk on that accusation, that people thought past-gen held Destiny back.)

For what it's worth, though, I will defend the 30FPS choice. This is what Bungie does, make rock-solid and high-performing 30FPS shooters.

The multitudes who failed out on D1 might say otherwise, as would the many who heard about Destiny but didn't see what was in it for them. I'm in the latter camp, I'm very much in favor of playing a Bungie shooter (only had PlayStations so my Halo experiences have been joyful but brief,) but watching friends play Destiny didn't convince me to join and I'm expecting something more impactful will have to be shown in order to bring me on for Destiny 2.

(Also, it might take something extra to get D1 players to restart everything and get into D2 rather than just stay with what's comfortable for them and their friends.)

True, the whole "10 year plan" hype is easy to get swept up in (especially when Bungie had to redo and skim a lot of the story in order to build something shippable for D1's launch, something they've fought to rectify through expansions and now the sequel.) You don't want to over-judge Destiny based on the promise of the hype and the developer pedigree. My take so far, though, is that the first game didn't grab me, and I've not yet seen what the second game will do to change that ... but also, I still like in general the base game concept (even if I'm not much of an online player) and think it looks fine if not spectacular, so I wish Destiny fans well and I hope something comes along in D2 that finally changes my mind.

Yeah it's kind of a catch-22 though. I actually think they did a great job of getting the game to look like Destiny, but also making a lot of visual improvements. The only problem with this though is that to most people, it just looks "the same", when they were riding a fine line of not drastically changing things, but making everything look better.

I'm pretty sure they have a new engine for it, and it looks a lot better to me.

30fps actually was a bummer to me, but it's not a dealbreaker at all. I can live with it. I was also hoping for more noticeable improvements with dropping last gen like bigger fireteams and better framerate, but it looks like they wanted to spend those resources on physics and other stuff.

David___

Banned
It seems like they want to cater to the core fanbase whose been there for 3+ years rather than try to expand out minus the solo crowd. I can see why people are calling it safe but I dont have a problem with it

I'm also really disappointed seeing Destiny fans dismissing concerns so vociferously. Two of the top threads getting upvoted on DTG right now are mocking some relevant criticisms of the reveal based on the ridiculous strawman that people were expecting a completely new game.

IT'S JUST A BETA! All over again.

Destiny as a whole, is a lot better than it was at launch so I have some faith that they'll be able to offer a substantial product. The community is ass and fickle altogether, though. Its like the worst traits of nerds fused together.

Outrun

Is Bungie still fucked in that agreement that they have with Activision to produce X amount of games within a certain time span?

I was also hoping for more noticeable improvements with dropping last gen like bigger fireteams and better framerate, but it looks like they wanted to spend those resources on physics and other stuff.

There's twice the number of guardians you can be instanced with at any given time, so even if you can't all join a fireteam still probably it should make those areas feel a lot more populated. I heard they roughly doubled it from the 12 in zone / 16 in tower to 26 in zone.

Gator86

You can tell in this thread who didn't played the Taken King expansion. D2 is expanding on the Taken King system not Vanilla Destiny.

This has always been the laziest defense of something. "You didn't play it!" If they have played it, how many hours? Too few and "you didn't play it enough." Too many and it's "you clearly must have liked something about it to play it so much." Having played from D1 launch through all of Rise of Iron, didn't change my opinion on something stuff at all.

Symbiotx

Yes sir I was burned, I know to not expect so much going into a game but I am a huge Halo fan so I know that Bungie is capable of awesome stuff. When I bought the game I was utterly disappointed by it, so now instead of it being a day one purchase it's on the wait and see list. I don't know if Bungie knows how to pull off an open world game. Everything was kind of this hallway links to this one kind of thing. I want to be wrong but I need to be proven I'm wrong first before I buy it.

I understand where you're coming from. I think the game people were hoping it would be was just a bigger project than Bungie had the resources to make. Seemed like they had trouble even putting out as much content as people could burn through. I think it would take a lot more to make the game that people were hoping for. And honestly, this game won't be what you wanted from Destiny 1 either. Destiny is this hybrid FPS MMO child, and it is what it is at this point.

geordiemp

So far it looks like the safest sequel possible.

And Mario Kart 8 was daring and a new direction ?

WTF is up with posters on GAF,

Destiny is Destiny, Mario kart is Mario Kart, what are people expecting exactly and why point the finger at this game, its no different than any other franchise.

I think people that aren't all that familiar witn Destiny fail to realize just how small most of the expansions were. Only two expansions even added patrol spaces and not all of them had a raid.

Not only that, but those same people probably would've shit on it had all this content been in an expansion too. They'd go on about how it isn't worth it, how it's content that was held back, blah blah blah.

Destiny has been one of those games where people could never let go of salt from the vanilla launch. Bungie improved on almost every aspect of the game, and people still tear it down.

Sorry this is just utterly false. I and I assure you many others played from day one, I played extensively, bought each expansion except Rise of Iron and have been saying the same things all along. Many of us being critical absolutely played and are well aware of the changes... And lack of changes in Destiny.

The context of expansion here is being used as. They basically just continued to use the assets in a remarkably similar way to what we've already seen without any significant or marked changes. It doesn't look as much like a new game or iteration, so much as an extension/continuation of what we've already seen. It just felt like I was watching a Destiny One clip again. Outside the guns, abilities, UI and some minor graphical tweaks I probably wouldn't have guessed this wasn't the first Destiny in a blind viewing.

Symbiotx

There's twice the number of guardians you can be instanced with at any given time, so even if you can't all join a fireteam still probably it should make those areas feel a lot more populated. I heard they roughly doubled it from the 12 in zone / 16 in tower to 26 in zone.

Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot about that. One of the things I'm most looking forward to is how much of exploration and patrols we'll have. Can't wait for more info.

Linkified

Whilst admittedly I got bored when I got to the Moon granted that was vanilla Destiny. I'm excited to go back into Destiny universe, however, at just 4 new maps seems a bit short I was hoping that they adjusted the content pipeline horror stories that Kotaku reported on. We would have seen at least double the planets for the sequel so total 8 maps minimum.

26 in a zone doesn't seem like a big enough leap. Unless the zones are small again like in the first one. Which was one of my main criticisms. So if they doubles the size of the zones and doubled the amount of people in a zone it's going to be just as barren as the first...

Symbiotx

Sorry this is just utterly false. I played from day one, I played extensively, bought each expansion except Rise of Iron and have been saying the same things all along. Many of us being critical absolutely played and are well aware of the changes... And lack of changes in Destiny.

It's not "false" because it's an opinion, not a fact. So it can be something you disagree with, but not "false".

But, you didn't really refute what I said. "Many of us being critical absolutely played and are well aware of the changes" Ok, so you are agreeing that pepole would've complained about this content as an expansion too like I said? What're you trying to say?

I think that if they were honest about it being more of a Destiny 1.5, it'd be fine. But they're not and, worse, they certainly won't price it like that.

I understand where you're coming from. I think the game people were hoping it would be was just a bigger project than Bungie had the resources to make. Seemed like they had trouble even putting out as much content as people could burn through. I think it would take a lot more to make the game that people were hoping for. And honestly, this game won't be what you wanted from Destiny 1 either. Destiny is this hybrid FPS MMO child, and it is what it is at this point.
I don't mind it being a FPS MMO hybrid it just needs more content and the zones need to be more...populated. The game felt way too barren for me.

26 in a zone doesn't seem like a big enough leap. Unless the zones are small again like in the first one. Which was one of my main criticisms. So if they doubles the size of the zones and doubled the amount of people in a zone it's going to be just as barren as the first...

I believe one of the ways they're working on remedying that is making public events or other activities (and when they're starting) viewable from the map, which should work as a way to help get players in the same location at the same time.

Symbiotx

I don't mind it being a FPS MMO hybrid it just needs more content and the zones need to be more...populated. The game felt way too barren for me.

Ok, and you've already decided from a number that it's not enough when we haven't seen any of the world outside of a strike. It sounds like you're just being cynical instead of objective. That's fine to hold your reservations, it's up to each person if they want to play it. Saying it's too small without having all the info though is silly.

I'm personally excited because it's Destiny and I love Destiny but I don't blame anyone for being disappointed.

I wanted this to be the next big thing and I think Bungie does too but what they showed is not going to make that happen. Very poor showing imo which is where my disappointment lies.

KingV

I really need to hear how they changed up systems to make a decision. If they massively expand the loot tables, and balance PVE and PVP separately it still could be a game changer. I also feel like it needs cross save, if not crossplay.

I believe one of the ways they're working on remedying that is making public events or other activities (and when they're starting) viewable from the map, which should work as a way to help get players in the same location at the same time.
I remember there being public event when you were in a patrol. When people get tired of doing the same events they will eventually stop doing them which again brings us to the same problem. Unless the events give you a good reason for doing them they will lack player involvement.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I didn't watch the livestream but did watch the reveal trailer. Everything just felt so... flat. Bland. Derivative. Didn't seem like something an AAA studio would put out, let alone Bungie.

It's not "false" because it's an opinion, not a fact. So it can be something you disagree with, but not "false".

But, you didn't really refute what I said. "Many of us being critical absolutely played and are well aware of the changes" Ok, so you are agreeing that pepole would've complained about this content as an expansion too like I said? What're you trying to say?

That outside of some relatively minor QOL changes they really haven't improved on it all that much, I disagree on that front. I was saying it's false to make that blanket statement about the players who are being critical. I'm personally dissapointed because given the games success I feel like they've really not put the focus on the changes the community has asked for many times. It's not like I can't let go of the salt I had from Vanilla, in fact Vanilla with VoG and stuff was one of the strongest times for Destiny IMO. It's that they never really seemed to listen to the community. Which is what got Luke in such hot water on multiple occasions as he basically kept sticking his foot in his mouth with comments that sounded disrespectful.

Honestly, if these new videos didn't have Destiny 2 stamped across them I would have chalked them up as being the last Destiny expansion. I saw nothing mind blowing since I played the Taken King.

I think 2 will get the sales of the fan base but now that a lot of people know what it is, they won't bite at the sequel.

pantsmith

It really looks just like rise of iron or any of the destiny 1 expansions. Just new content.

I have heard zero talk of any changes to gameplay or new features. The whole of the destiny 2 pitch seems to be "it's more destiny".

It does seem like another rush job which we can probably thank Activision for.

They will sell millions I'm sure but it will be to hardcore destiny fans. I don't see a lot of people disappointed by destiny 1 being drawn back in.

I'm sure the people who've been working on this for the last three years are happy their hard work is getting reduced to "just another rush job."

nOoblet16

Where exactly did you hear about all those things?

Lighting overhaul? Particles, Bokeh and DoF, PBR, more geometry, alphas...I bet Destiny 1 had all of that, but how do you tell it's way better on Destiny 2? Did they announce it?
Because I can see it as I know what to look for and where to look for. How do you think NX Gamer and Digitalfoundry figure out most of the stuff considering not everything is detailed by the developers and often they don't even have any documents released by developers? It's educated guesses made by analysing information based on what's available and what you know and more often than not they are correct because there are only so many ways you can achieve something. When you spend time reading about techniques, what it does, what it looks like you can spot it. And no Destiny 1 didn't have those Bokeh or GPU particles or a full fledged PBR implementation.

You can spot all these effects with a trained eye, you can spot if the geometry is higher by comparing the density and how angular things look etc etc.

If you can't see something and need confirmation from developers to know it's in the game then is there even the point of an upgrade ?

As for how can I tell it's better, I have played 1000+ hours of Destiny. I'm extremely familiar with the game, the graphical techniques it has to offer, it's drawbacks etc. and as such I can form comparisons based on it when I see something upgraded.

Ok, and you've already decided from a number that it's not enough when we haven't seen any of the world outside of a strike. It sounds like you're just being cynical instead of objective. That's fine to hold your reservations, it's up to each person if they want to play it. Saying it's too small without having all the info though is silly.
which I why I said I'll give the beta a chance. If I feel it isn't a barren wasteland like the first one was I'll buy it. If they do a better job with that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

It feels more like something made for fans of Destiny 1.

Which is fine I suppose, but yeah it really did look like an iterated version of the first game. They were hyping up UI fixes like being able to jump from a planet directly to another planet, I mean come on.

cripterion

And Mario Kart 8 was daring and a new direction ?

WTF is up with posters on GAF,

Destiny is Destiny, Mario kart is Mario Kart, what are people expecting exactly and why point the finger at this game, its no different than any other franchise.

Seems like you're stuck in an alternate reality where people have never complained about any sequel ever yet only criticize Destiny :p

Destiny did fine for many, for me & others it's not what it was meant to be, something people could expect to be corrected in the sequel. That's all basically.

Neuro

It looks like an expansion rather than a sequel. No new classes, same enemies, no dedicated servers. The list goes on. The only thing I liked is the guided games and it looks like something you can patch it in D1.

I expected a lot more from the sequel :/.

I love Destiny having never played an online game throughout my life this experience changed quite a bit for me, especially the social aspect.

I understand the disappointment that many experience here since their expectations have been quite lofty, maybe they all have had better social experiences in gaming overall...For a regular player like myself I just need some content that my friends and I can plough through and create memories that we can share that's it.

I maybe in minority here but the simplicity of social gaming has never been as smooth as destiny.

Top Bottom