• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else playing Botw and wish for trophies???

mindsale

I think the question you should be asking is, why is a trophy notice necessary when the in-game item you unlock says the same thing, and has an actual gameplay purpose to reward you for your trouble?

To give me a sense of investment and consumer loyalty between all the progress I've made in other Nintendo games that offered me a way to monitor progress or complete difficult challenges.

Though I should let you know, trophies have actual gameplay required to unlock most of them.

And if they're the same thing, why can't I have both the golden poo for collecting all the Koroks and an achievement account-wide, like

"SHITHEAD - Collected all Korok Seeds."

They're not mutually exclusive. You can have both a meta-game reward and an in-game one.

trixx

No. I don't need the game to document that I found or did something cool. I know I did. I was there

It's like those people taking photos during the entirety of an event instead of experiencing it lol

I honestly don't see what the big deal is with achievements. It is nice to have though

Griss

Nintendo already implemented a 100% system in Zelda, so unless you collected and did everything, you would have that nagging percentage. Besides, you can still experience everything without getting 100% of trophies/achievements. Completely depends on the game. Many of those challenges arent tied to specific things story wise or such, it could be things like "get 5 kills with one grenade" or "beat X-time in Y-race" etc.. Your insult regarding "drone-like collectionists gamers" are also uncalled for. Fine that you dont like trophies, but why insult others that do?

The difference is that the completion number remains in the game, and doesn't follow me around on my account to other games. In the first scenario I can ignore the number, in the second I find it very, very difficult.

I have returned to games I do not enjoy just to try and get some trophies to make that percentage hit a round number or something similar. I hate it and it's so stupid but I do it. It bugs the shit out of me. If I could delete the whole trophy system I would, but instead I find myself getting sucked back into it again and again with each new game. I fucking hate it.

As for the 'drone-like completionists' - games should be about playing for fun, not for digital baubles. Playing long after you've had fun to get some meaningless signifier of false accomplishment... sorry, but as someone who has done it myself (see above) I can't see how it's worthy of anything but scorn.

Col.Asher

I do think the idea suggested earlier of opening the game with a prompt saying "Do you want to enable trophy notices" might be the best way to please both camps. At the same time, I think people enabling trophies might miss some of the wonder of the game if they have an "X out of Y" list of numbers to check off, but that's on them.

I like this Idea, make it account based though.

I'm almost done with zelda botw, have a few more things sidequests to do before going to fight ganon but this entire playthrough I can't stop thinking how much more I would enjoy this game if it had trophies :(

Like there is so much cool stuff to discover in this game and each time I discover someting neat I wish there was a trophy for it. Usually when I play a game I also like to check my progress by looking at the trophies for the game and or looking at a friends trophies and see if they got certain trophies I managed to get or didn't get, and compare and stuff, with Botw many times i wish I could see if other people on my friend list also managed to discover something that I just did like idk mounting a lynel something I discovered late in the game.

Man its such a bummber to me that nintendo still hasn't put in a trophy/achievements in their system :(

Disgusting.

Crayolan

While there are certainly some titles that have implemented optional objectives arguably for the benefit of trophies(AC1 flag collectibles), there hasn't been a real case where one can show demonstrable proof that trophies have sullied the original design intent of the game's objective or mission statement.

So many lump their arguments into this somewhat baseless claim, presuming that gaming enjoyment is somehow lessened on platforms where they exist? Has there ever been a debate during GotY deliberations where the existence of trophies had somehow played a role in keeping certain titles from nomination or discussion?

Do trophies ever factually mislead anyone from a potential difference of opinion on a game? Can anyone show clinical proof of this?

Are people so incapable of understanding the other merits that trophies offer beyond mere edge-case goals to accomplish? The unique data points and information they provide for both developers and inquisitive players? The "Activity Log" appeal(which Nintendo fans gleefully and hypocritically adore).

I don't know about "demonstrable proof", but for an example of a dev specifically not implementing achievements because they thought it would clash with the themes of the game, look at Undertale:
tumblr_inline_o7l21tYe6H1rwqfnm_540.png

I don't agree that achievements always take away from the game--when done right they can add to a game--but I believe BotW is similar to undertale in that it encourages the player to play the way they want to play and does not push them towards doing anything they might not want to do.

Alienous

I think sometimes it's nice to have a well-defined goal to direct your play towards, and trophies provide that.

And in a weird way I find it often feels like being given permission to chase some goal - 'Of course we expect you to complete all of the side quests - there's a trophy for it'.

And they're so easy to ignore if you don't care. But if you're playing a game, and unsure what to do, you can scroll through a list of objectives that you're given a (albeit useless) reward for. I seem to remember a game on the Wii U rewarding players with MiiVerse stickers for accomplishments - that sort of thing would work too.

I do think the idea suggested earlier of opening the game with a prompt saying "Do you want to enable trophy notices" might be the best way to please both camps. At the same time, I think people enabling trophies might miss some of the wonder of the game if they have an "X out of Y" list of numbers to check off, but that's on them.
Personally, I don't even check trophy lists until I complete a playthrough. If I enjoyed a game enough, I'll work on 100%/platinuming it.

I'm always pleasantly surprised whenever I notification pops that what I just did earned me a trophy.

oSoLucky

The difference is that the completion number remains in the game, and doesn't follow me around on my account to other games. In the first scenario I can ignore the number, in the second I find it very, very difficult.

I have returned to games I do not enjoy just to try and get some trophies to make that percentage hit a round number or something similar. I hate it and it's so stupid but I do it. It bugs the shit out of me. If I could delete the whole trophy system I would, but instead I find myself getting sucked back into it again and again with each new game. I fucking hate it.

As for the 'drone-like completionists' - games should be about playing for fun, not for digital baubles. Playing long after you've had fun to get some meaningless signifier of false accomplishment... sorry, but as someone who has done it myself (see above) I can't see how it's worthy of anything but scorn.

Can't you see how that's not really a problem with the system though, and something on a more personal level? Now if something predatory like charging to unlock trophies for a game happened, that would be awful.

AzureFlame

i do want to share my accomplishments in the game with the community easily, trophies kinda did that which is fun but soemtimes it does it horribly, the trophies percentage and leader board is fun stuff, dunno why some of you here pisses off about it.

HeeHo

I'm not one of those guys who gets offended by Nintendo very easily but it's really starting to get to me.

Couldn't they add "stamps" or something and have them function like trophies?

I'm definitely with the OP on this. Not very fond of playing 100 hour games on modern systems and not having it reflect on my profile somehow.

I think the sentiment that goes around is "Just play and have fun". I get that. However, I like getting trophies on the other platforms that offer them. They add to the experience so when I play 200-300 hours of Monster Hunter, I wish I had something on my Nintendo profile to show that I'm some sort of MH addict.

Sometimes I feel like some of us trying to play cool and say things like "they doesn't matter" or they "add nothing". This might sound super lame, but aside from the Switch, I will favor systems that have this system instead of investing that time on Nintendo systems.

Dsyndrome

Well, they couldn't possibly be a worse reward than another leaf-man or guardian spear.
Or 50 rupees being so appealing for finding all the stupid cuccos.

Edit: Achievements also add revenue to developers that they wouldn't otherwise have (very small percentage in BOTW's case). How many people have been telling Zeboyd on Steam that they'll buy his game once it has achievements?

I wouldn't mind some type of trophies/Achievements . Cant see what would be wrong with enjoying the moment or item as well as getting a trophy or achievement

oSoLucky

Personally, I don't even check trophy lists until I complete a playthrough. If I enjoyed a game enough, I'll work on 100%/platinuming it.

I'm always pleasantly surprised whenever I notification pops that what I just did earned me a trophy.

Same. I play on whatever difficulty and do whatever I want on the first playthrough. If I like the game enough I will replay and go from trophies.

I never forced to finish a list.

EhoaVash

I play games for fun and enjoyment and not to grind out an 'achievement'.

I play games for fun and enjoyment too, heck I never even Platinumed any games before. But i enjoy trophies too. for most trophies I get its usually based on self discovery in my experience, I don't usually seek the trophy until either when I'm at the end game or near it then I like to use trophy as a guide to see if I missed anything and if something is doable then I'm like heck yeah let's do it.

Not once have I felt I needed to grind something to get a trophy. Maybe souls game to grind to beat a boss? but that whole game is a grind lol.

SigSig

Absolutely not. I'm really enjoying exploring an open world without the Ubisoft-esque constant reminder of "look at all these BARS TO FILL 134/3425 thingamajigs found here is some stuff for you to do in case you don't know how to have fun".
I'm not anti achievement mechanics, but BOTW just doesn't feel like a game which would profit from them. It feels like the exact opposite and that's what I love about it.

Morts

I can get pretty into trophies on PS4 - just got my platinum in Horizon. I bristle at the idea of Zelda having them though. Seems like it would dirty a game that has half its charm in its aimlessness. Zelda is that last game I want to be thinking about completion percentages in.

mindatlarge

Not so much for personal satisfaction, but it would have been nice, at times, to share with other players your accomplishments with the game other than having to take a screen shot and uploading it through a FB/Twitter account. I do like trophies but with Nintendo games I can live without them. Kind of like a vacation from that sort of thing.

Trojan

Going into this game I may have wanted trophies, but I'm pretty sure that would have made for a worse game. 100+ hrs in and I'm having a blast doing whatever I want and not chasing a dumb digital collectible.

FinalAres

On the one hand I'm glad the Switch doesn't have trophies because I'd compulsively chase them to the point I wasn't even having fun any more.

On the other hand, there's a whole lot of "you're having fun in the wrong way" going on in this thread. Guys achievements are popular for a reason.

oSoLucky

Going into this game I may have wanted trophies, but I'm pretty sure that would have made for a worse game. 100+ hrs in and I'm having a blast doing whatever I want and not chasing a dumb digital collectible.

How would it have made a worse game? Are you assuming that developers design their game around trophies/achievements? I can see how one could draw that conclusion with older Ubi games or ones that add in worthless collectibles but I have never seen evidence of gameplay elements being adjusted to fit trophies.

On the one hand I'm glad the Switch doesn't have trophies because I'd compulsively chase them to the point I wasn't even having fun any more.

On the other hand, there's a whole lot of "you're having fun in the wrong way" going on in this thread. Guys achievements are popular for a reason.

That's literally every thread dealing with the topic here. It's quite ironic, as some feel trophies tell them how they should have fun(when they're 100% able to be ignored).

Nothing against them personally but if people are this dependent on them in order to enjoy stuff I'm starting to think they may indeed be problematic. -.-'

Agree with you 100%, but that is an issue that specific person faces and it's their loss for missing out on great games. I would imagine most people are not like that and would like trophies as a nice supplement for a great game.

Z..

The OP didnt say anything about needing this to enjoy the game. The OP only talked about that the game would be even better for him/her having such challenges added to the game.

Really. There is something wrong with the OP because he'd like achievements. Tell me more.

That's not what the OP said. He said he'd enjoy it BETTER if it had trophies and stated why.

It's inconsequential to you and me, but not to him.

I don't know guys... This:

I can't stop thinking how much more I would enjoy this game if it had trophies

suggests to me there is indeed something weird about some people's relationships with trophies, like it's an addiction or something. I'd like N games to have trophies too, even though I don't personally care about them they wouldn't make the games worse in any way and would make some people happy, but being unable to enjoy the game because they're not there is just... bizarre.

Agree with you 100%, but that is an issue that specific person faces and it's their loss for missing out on great games. I would imagine most people are not like that and would like trophies as a nice supplement for a great game.

Sure. As stated above I would certainly not be against implementing them in N games at all.

MTC100

Banned
I disliked trophies or better achievements when Microsoft added them in the first place, I am not fond of them. I have a total of 2(TWO) platinum trophies on my PSN account, both were more or less inevitable if I wanted to get everything out of those games: Virtues Last Reward and Persona 4 Golden. (I may or may not get a third one with Persona 5 but the way they are implemented there might prevent me from getting one)

As a result my over all level is not that high but I don't really care and will never care, I also have one of the lowest Achievement Scores in my guild over at world of warcraft because I couldn't care less for farming 200+ mounts or pets or doing stupid stuff I am not interested in.

I enjoy playing the games like they are and don't need any justification for what I'm doing in form of a stupid pop up that tells me I've done good. I certainly don't want something like that in my Nintendo Games.

IF Nintendo implements a system like that to their games then it will hopefully be a silent one I am not reminded about and it should be purely rewarding stuff that is not boring and tedious. But then again, if such a system would be implemented I know third parties will do crap like shoot 100 enemies in the head or something...

aadiboy

This vitriol towards trophies makes me wonder how people react towards in-game achievements that affect nothing in the game. Like Shovel Knight for example. Did all of you achievement haters stop playing Shovel Knight because it had feats? Cause if you didn't, you would be a hypocrite.

It's funny that people are against trophies/achievements. They do nothing to bother your "gameplay immersion", and they don't force you to play a certain way. Get some damn self control if you feel like a trophy list is forcing you to play differetly.

Z..

=/
again I didn't say that I'm not enjoying the game or that the game is ruined, I absolutely am liking the game. Its my favorite game this year so far behind Resident evil 7, and I can't wait to beat the game when I play later today, its just that I wish there was a trophy system in place, sheesh people

I get wishing it was there, I do... but if it not being there is a constant turnoff for you it just seems like you're overly attached to the system, no? Is this something that bothers you while playing older games too or is it just with modern stuff? As in, is it the lack of trophies in general or the knowledge that they could be a part of the game but were deliberately not included?

Nope. Don't care about trophies. I remember when I did I was buying games on the 360 for the achievements even though I had a way better PC for multiplats and then I realized how stupid I was being and changed my ways. Haven't cared about achievements since.

MTC100

Banned
This vitriol towards trophies makes me wonder how people react towards in-game achievements that affect nothing in the game. Like Shovel Knight for example. Did all of you achievement haters stop playing Shovel Knight because it had feats? Cause if you didn't, you would be a hypocrite.

Zelda already tracks your progress, no? Completionists will strife for that juicy 100% on their save file, others won't no one is bothered by something like that.

Z..

It's funny that people are against trophies/achievements. They do nothing to bother your "gameplay immersion", and they don't force you to play a certain way. Get some damn self control if you feel like a trophy list is forcing you to play differetly.

Well, now you can disable the notifications but it wasn't so for the longest time, right?

MTC100

Banned

Yet they pop up all the time telling you "you did good son" even if you aren't "hunting" them.

Well, now you can disable the notifications but it wasn't so for the longest time, right?

Wait! Need to check my settings then...

Morts

I'm actually surprised other developers haven't pushed Nintendo towards some sort of trophy/achievement system. I was under the impression that developers get useful metrics from trophy data about their games that they don't get on Nintendo consoles, unless it's happening behind the scenes.

test_account

XP-39C²

How do they follow you around to other games?

Well, if you absolute hate playing the game simply because you feel that you must complete something, i can see the problem. That have to suck though :( I was also one who tried to get 100% in the begining of trophies, so i can relate a bit to that, but now i really dont care. For example, right now i got 41% of the trophies in Uncharted 4, but i'm not motivated/interested in playing the single player campaign again just for that. I've played the multiplayer on and off since launch, still enjoying the game a lot. Not getting 100% doesnt really bother me anymore. I also usually enjoyed going for the trophies, i cant remember any specific case where i really hated doing the grind, but theres a few cases were i've been bored with it. But i'm sure that many do it because they enjoy it. Thats why i thought the comment was uncalled for :)

By the way, why does this only apply to a OS-wide system? I mean, you do know with yourself if you've 100% a game or not regardless?

Nottle

If this game in particular taught me anything it may just be that trophies and achievments soil the way I like to play games. I spent exactly how much time I wanted with Zelda and once I felt done, I finished it. No korok see hunting for me!

yyr

If you're one of those people who says the game is better without Achievements/Trophies present, shame on you for suggesting that because YOU personally don't like something, it shouldn't be there for anyone to enjoy.

On platforms that support those things, you are welcome to turn the notifications off and pretend they aren't there. Why do you have to rain on everyone else's parade?

trixx

I can get pretty into trophies on PS4 - just got my platinum in Horizon. I bristle at the idea of Zelda having them though. Seems like it would dirty a game that has half its charm in its aimlessness. Zelda is that last game I want to be thinking about completion percentages in.

Yeah I don't think I'd enjoy it too much in Zelda, but would fit better in games like mario kart and splatoon.

The aimlessness is what I love. Every time I turn on Zelda, I'm like "what the hell am I doing, Let's pick out some points on the map and explore". Been playing for close to 2 months and not even halfway finished. I've also yet to have been spoiled by anything major, which is pretty crazy.

The option to have them in game should be welcomed though, but this game is one that I don't think would make the experience better.

Neiteio

It'd be better if upon completing the game 100%, Reggie himself shows up at your house to shake your hand. Then he speeds off down the street in his high-end sports car, and you realize, "Hey, where's my wallet?!"

Yeah it's a big downer that Nintendo isn't offering some equivalent.

Btw you guys do know your u can turn trophy notifications off right? Lol

The comments like "keep that stuff away from Zelda" makes absolutely no sense to me. It's as simple as an off switch

Top Bottom