• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else playing Botw and wish for trophies???

tengiants

I would love it if it had trophies/achievements. I play games for fun and achievement/trophies just add more fun for me. BOTW is already super fun, trophies/achievements would just make it a tad more fun.

What would make it more fun? Doing the same repetitive task to see a little beep and you can compare to your friends about how core you are?

That's all I get out of OS level achievement systems and not my idea of fun.

Not to say games shouldn't have them, but it should be central to the games design and not shoehorned into everything.

Nope, not at all. I play games to have fun, not to be stimulated by a notification.

Ah this nonsense again. Have at it.

I've been through my trophy hunting phase and got over it quickly as I realized it took the fun out of almost everything and introduced nothing but stress.

Okay, so it's not fun for you. Got it. But maybe it's fun to someone else, and pushes them to spend more time and master a game they would have otherwise put down sooner. Why is it bad to have the option, where you get to turn it off, and others can dick around with it if they like?

this is coming from someone who couldn't give less of a fuck about achievements btw.

although I do value them as a "log" of how much of a game a friend has played, enabling me to be able to talk to them more in depth about a game we may have both played extensively and not known otherwise.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's the reason Trophies/Cheevos were implemented though.They are not real rewards, they are psychological manipulation and conditioning. Everything, from the little ding noise, to them being on public display to all your "friends" to see and compare has been engineered to coerce players. It's a skinner box. And they are a textbook example of psychological behavior modification .

It doesn't concern you that people regularly cite cheevos as the reason they kept playing a game they would otherwise have put down? It's not the titles inherent strengths drawing them back, but the promise of a ding noise that they've been conditioned treat as an actual reward.

It really disturbs me every time someone cites them as the reason they would or would not buy a game. Or that someone thinks they would enjoy a game more if it had a ding noise and a pop-up every 30 minutes. This is conditioned behavior.
They are as much as a reward as you make it out to be. I would say that the reason why these things were included in the first place is to extend the life of the game, and to add something extra to it if people want to do that. Also trying to add to it being a social element for those who want that, somewhat comparable to leaderboards. To claim that its not a real reward is true, but at the same time also false. How people feel about doing a challenge (which is what trophies are) is completely subjective.

If people feel that such a system ads stress and takes away from enjoying something due to OCD, i completely understand the dislike for it. However, this could be said about many things. Things like Smash Bros and Shovel Knight, just to take two examples, both games that have in-game challenges. Or simply having a 100% stat counter in-game. I'm sure many want to go for 100% under the same condition as a trophy/achievement system provides.

Many people like to casually go for trophies, or perhaps only focusing on certain games. Challenges in games have also existed for a long time. It doesnt have to be a ding or anything like that. If you feel forced to complete something, then sure, i would understand why you feel that it decide your behavior playing the game, but many people dont feel that way. I dont see why its assuming so hard to see that such a system has its positive sides as well.

DMONKUMA

Nah, I just fucked up and misunderstood, and reacted unfairly due to my misunderstanding. I would agree that the presence of achievements doesn't have to ruin a game. For me, this is how Nintendo should do an achievement system:

1. No developer has to include achievements
2. Base the achievement system on Sakurai's, where achievements are revealed only in proximity to completed ones:

maxresdefault.jpg

3. Achievements can be disabled and replaced with an unlock notification (when applicable or appropriate).

Yeah i definitely like this model.

Meaty

Lack of trophies are part of the reason id rather play the game on CEMU. I absolutely loved playing it on my wii u. But nintendo systems have no appeal when compared to emulators imo.

bryt

What would make it more fun? Doing the same repetitive task to see a little beep and you can compare to your friends about how core you are?

That's all I get out of OS level achievement systems and not my idea of fun.

Not to say games shouldn't have them, but it should be central to the games design and not shoehorned into everything.

uhh, not all achievements are doing repetitive things. For example, in RE there's things like beating the game with a knife only. That's cool.

guyssorry

Nope. Beating the game was satisfying on its own, which is, ya know, how games should be.

When I played Dark Souls III, I earned trophies/achievements for just beating a regular boss. In Bloodborne, I earned them for beating bosses and collecting weapons that I would have collected anyway. Cool, I guess? I don't see the point in them, and I will not play a game just for the trophies. I have more important/rewarding things to do in life.

I can't say that I've thought about trophies once while playing Breath of the Wild (and I've put in nearly 200 hours). I understand why some people like trophies and I have no problem with them, but yeah, I guess it's just not something I need or care about in a game like Zelda.

Danny-Boy

Yes! Yes! Oh god yes! It would have made the game so much more enjoyable. I've shelved the game after 70 hours because there was no reward in completing things. I would have played the game for another 70 hours hunting down trophies. After completing 90 shrines I was expecting a trophy notification. After unlocking all the towers and revealing the whole map I was expecting to hear a 'ding'. There was nothing. I just can't believe Nintendo wouldn't include trophies in this day and age. So far behind.

They are as much as a reward as you make it out to be. The reason why these things were included in the first place is to extend the life of the game, and to add something extra to it if people want to do that. To claim that its not a real reward is true, but at the same time also false. How people feel about doing a challenge (which is what trophies are) is completely subjective.

If people feel that such a system ads stress and takes away from enjoying something due to OCD, i completely understand the dislike for it. However, this could be said about many things. Things like Smash Bros and Shovel Knight, just to take two examples, both games that have in-game challenges. Or simply having a 100% stat counter in-game. I'm sure many want to go for 100% under the same condition as a trophy/achievement system provides. Many people like to casually go for trophies, or perhaps only focusing on certain games. I dont see why its assuming so hard to see that such a system has its positive sides as well.

You say this, but pretty much every game that I play on PS4, the majority of trophies are listed as 'Very Rare' or 'Ultra Rare'. This indicates to me that most people don't bother actively hunting them down.

Brofield

Nope. 105 hours in the game and I only defeated the third divine beast. I still have a backlog taller than me (and I'm 6'3"), I don't need an excuse to play longer than necessary.

Even if the Switch did have 'cheevos, guaranteed the first thing I would have done would be the same as when I got my 360 and PS4: turning off those damn notifications. All they do is distract me from my immersion.

You say this, but pretty much every game that I play on PS4, the majority of trophies are listed as 'Very Rare' or 'Ultra Rare'. This indicates to me that most people don't bother actively hunting them down.
Most people don't even finish games let alone platinum them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, its all relative :) Many people can be in the thosands for example.

meh - never understood the value of those.

The satisfaction of completing the game is what drives my fun. I never really cared about trophies in my PS3 games nor the points stuff on my Xbox One. Just meh.

Nope. Beating the game was satisfying on its own, which is, ya know, how games should be.

When I played Dark Souls III, I earned trophies/achievements for just beating a regular boss. In Bloodborne, I earned them for beating bosses and collecting weapons that I would have collected anyway. Cool, I guess? I don't see the point in them, and I will not play a game just for the trophies. I have more important/rewarding things to do in life.
I think this is where the real value of trophy/achievements comes in. It acts as a public journal or log entry to how far you or your friend has gotten in a game. It acts as a great icebreaker in learning of particular games with completion rates you've found in common. This includes doing stuff you would have done anyway as a marker of basic progress. Of course there are usually more complex, out-of-the-way trophies to earn as well.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think this is where the real value of trophy/achievements comes in. It acts as a public journal or log entry to how far you or your friend has gotten in a game. It acts as a great icebreaker in learning of particular games with completion rates you've found in common. This includes doing stuff you would have done anyway as a marker of basic progress. Of course there are usually more complex, out-of-the-way trophies to earn as well.
I agree. I was actually checking the percentage of platinum trophies in the Souls games not too long ago, and i was surprised to see how high it was. Its like 15-20% for every Souls game. Other games might have like 1 or 2 percentage when it comes to the platinum trophy.

fvng

People not understanding why anyone would want to be a completionist or complete every challenge or see everything there is to see in a game. People not getting the appeal of replay value. People getting mad at features that they can ignore exists completely if they don't care about it.

Achievements in BOTW would have been great, and if done well enough, guaranteed that the player got to see a huge chunk of the game (if not all of it)

Getting 100% in a game was a thing in games before a formal achievement system. So complaining about it is lame.

I still don't understand nintendos resistance to incorporating what has become standard on most platforms.

Dsyndrome

Yes they are. Video games are repetitive actions by their very nature.
So finding a faraway secret, or interacting in a way different to what is intended, and getting a trophy, is repetitive? In what way? How is the game worse off because the trophy is there?

Also, speaking concerning Dark Souls III, I realized I missed an entire area because I was missing an achievement, causing me to go back and play that. I never would've know it existed otherwise.

I don't see the point to discuss this with anyone who doesn't explain in details what exactly a trophy is supposed to be. How is it exactly different from just 100%-ing the game? Is it about spamming others with your genuine online 100% certificate, as opposed to being unable to certify spam consisting of screenshots?

fvng

meh - never understood the value of those.

The satisfaction of completing the game is what drives my fun. I never really cared about trophies in my PS3 games nor the points stuff on my Xbox One. Just meh.

A platinum trophy is emblematic that you took the time to 100% the game. If that doesn't matter to you then that's fine but others see it as a badge of honor (and it is). Most platinum trophies take a huge investment of time,

Total mastery of a game is an accomplishment.

Also, speaking concerning Dark Souls III, I realized I missed an entire area because I was missing an achievement, causing me to go back and play that. I never would've know it existed otherwise.

I missed spots and side quests in Nier Automata that I never would have seen if it wasn't for the trophy that requires finding every weapon. Implying there's no value to achievements is so bonkers to me

robotrock

Banned
The thought of a little text box popping up on the corner of the screen like maybe 10 times in your near hundred hours of possible play (that you could probably disable in two seconds in the OS) "ruining" a masterpiece like BoTW for you is fucking hysterical.

So no, it wouldn't have ruined it for you, and you would have bought that shit anyway.

It would have ruined what exactly made the game so special for me. I would have still bought it because it's Zelda but it wouldn't have had the same sense of wonder and adventure if I kept on getting trophies that went "found 5 korok seeds!" That kind of stat tracking is what makes most open world games daunting and intimidating for me to actually enjoy. I've been talking directly about myself with my posts in the thread. I'm not saying it would have ruined the game for you. I don't see what's so hard to understand.

Even reading some of your other posts in this thread, you seem to understand that people are talking about themselves personally:
Okay, so it's not fun for you. Got it. But maybe it's fun to someone else, and pushes them to spend more time and master a game they would have otherwise put down sooner.
So I really don't know why you're being so aggressive about this to me.

tengiants

So finding a faraway secret, or interacting in a way different to what is intended, and getting a trophy, is repetitive? In what way? How is the game worse off because the trophy is there?

Video games are a series of actions that consist of just pushing buttons, repeatedly. Everything else you're achieving is in your head.

I like repetition and practicing through iteration so games work for me. I don't really care about how much button pressing my friends do personally.

I don't see the point to discuss this with anyone who doesn't explain in details what exactly a trophy is supposed to be. How is it exactly different from just 100%-ing the game? Is it about spamming others with your genuine online 100% certificate, as opposed to being unable to certify spam consisting of screenshots?

OP was fairly clear on things. They talked about wanting to compare things with their friends, be able to know that they can talk to someone about something because they know exactly where they are, etc.

Honestly, I understand the aversion to achievements, but to some extent, some people seem averse because Nintendo doesn't do it, not necessarily because it's inherently a bad thing. I saw a lot of the same criticisms against online play, HD, and DVD/Blu-ray playback.

fvng

Video games are a series of actions that consist of just pushing buttons, repeatedly. Everything else you're achieving is in your head.

I like repetition and practicing through iteration so games work for me. I don't really care about how much button pressing my friends do personally.

Next you'll say the internet is a series of tubes

Kouriozan

If it had, I would have looked at the requirements and probably prevent me from experimenting with various stuff so thank god no.

tengiants

So you use them as a workaround for a walk through or talking to a friend who also plays the game.
To each their own but that's not really the point of an achievement system.

atr0cious

People not understanding why anyone would want to be a completionist or complete every challenge or see everything there is to see in a game. People not getting the appeal of replay value.
You can do all this in game without an OS pop-up. There are quest logs and map percentages in game. I'm on my second playthrough at over 50 hours, 110+on my first run, and I'm still seeing new things and having fun. And the prize for collecting all the korok seeds is Nintendo's stance on the matter. If a game isn't fun, maybe you shouldn't force it.

Redd

Trophies are nice but I never play a game just for it to tell me I did go with an achievement pop-up. I can take it or leave it.

test_account

XP-39C²

You can narrow pretty much everything down to something like that. That X is just a serie of Y. Getting that final degree in school is just a serie of reading books and writing on papers, just to take one example :p

Its fine if you dont care about comparing trophies with others though. I'm also a bit like that, i do challenges in games for personal enjoyment.

fvng

You can do all this in game without an OS pop-up. There are quest logs and map percentages in game. I'm on my second playthrough at over 50 hours, 110+on my first run, and I'm still seeing new things and having fun. And the prize for collecting all the korok seeds is Nintendo's stance on the matter. If a game isn't fun, maybe you shouldn't force it.

Would an OS Pop Up destroy your enjoyment of the game? Video games already use reward systems to get you to keep playing, it's literally part of game design, so it's not like an OS Pop Up destroys your experience. You might as well say "get rid of the percentages in the game menus"

Tan

This was the exact opposite thought I left the game with. I was amazed and delighted at how many things I discovered that didn't come with a chest or an item or any kind of reward.

Nope, at that point the devs are pushing you to play the game a certain way .

There are people of Gaf buying games because they are "easy platinums" , trophies were a mistake

joker3782

Neo Member
I just finished Zelda after playing it for over 80 hours and didn't once think it needed an achievement/trophy system. I thought doing stuff in the game was its own reward.

Although had this come out a few years ago when I used to care about achievements/trophies then maybe I would be complaining.

Vibed

I would've liked trophies in the sense that I would've liked a larger checklist to do so I could be motivated to play the game even longer than the 175 hours I put in, but in my moment to moment gameplay, I liked having the secrets and exploring be a reward in itself.

For me, I just want a semi justifiable reason to find more Korok seeds basically lol

Sure, why not? Except I do have one "why not":

They would need to be specific, routine task type of things. Like beating the bosses, or activating the towers.

Because if they were for the really cool things you can do, like
riding different animals than horses
or
mounting a Lynel
or
flying to 5,000 feet using Octo balloons
, or any of the million other things, I'd be disappointed if I got a trophy, because it would make it feel canned instead of how dynamic and special it feels now. Even if it's not.

I'd feel the same if I got spoiled on any of that cool stuff because of a trophy list that popped up somewhere as well.

Dsyndrome

So you use them as a workaround for a walk through or talking to a friend who also plays the game.
To each their own but that's not really the point of an achievement system.
What is the point in your mind? I'm guessing you see no point and thus it should not exist.

From the developer's standpoint, I'm now going back into the game, something they desire. They also have a data point as to what was and wasn't seen in the game by folks with achievements enabled.

From my standpoint, who gives a shit if I used a walkthrough or not? I'm getting more enjoyment out of the game now that I wouldn't otherwise.

Poona

That's one of the big reasons I don't have a switch yet. The lack of system wide trophies/achievements or whatever Nintendo could call them. Maybe stars?

Anyway I just feel like what's the point of playing games on switch if you have nothing to show for it.

Whereas if I do it elsewhere it will say when I accomplished something with a date. I like knowing what I was able to do in games and when and be able to compare to other players.

It's also not too late for Nintendo to implement them as Sony didn't have them on the launch of ps3.

Osukaa

What is the point in your mind? I'm guessing you see no point and thus it should not exist.

From the developer's standpoint, I'm now going back into the game, something they desire. They also have a data point as to what was and wasn't seen in the game by folks with achievements enabled.

From my standpoint, who gives a shit if I used a walkthrough or not? I'm getting more enjoyment out of the game now that I wouldn't otherwise.

If your not playing those games the way I play then your doing it wrong. Also stop getting enjoyment out of things I dont like .

Thank you

No Fun Allowed

tengiants

You're right. I am a video games nihilist. And I agree, who cares about using a walk through if that's what you want to do. But walkthroughs already existed before achievements.

It would have ruined what exactly made the game so special for me. I would have still bought it because it's Zelda but it wouldn't have had the same sense of wonder and adventure if I kept on getting trophies that went "found 5 korok seeds!" That kind of stat tracking is what makes most open world games daunting and intimidating for me to actually enjoy. I've been talking directly about myself with my posts in the thread. I'm not saying it would have ruined the game for you. I don't see what's so hard to understand.

Even reading some of your other posts in this thread, you seem to understand that people are talking about themselves personally:

So I really don't know why you're being so aggressive about this to me.

Just mute them. You never have to deal with them if you don't want to.

I think they are great. I can look someone's trophy list on PSN and tell loads about what kind of player they are, what they are into, etc.

I can even tell these things about them if they have the trophy notifications turned off and don't care about them at all.

atr0cious

Would an OS Pop Up destroy your enjoyment of the game? Video games already use reward systems to get you to keep playing, it's literally part of game design, so it's not like an OS Pop Up destroys your experience. You might as well say "get rid of the percentages in the game menus"
And it not being there doesn't destroy your experience. I'd argue an achievement list would spoil a lot of what makes botw great, especially as it relies on experimentation for almost every moment of the game. These players may not even see half the games interactions if all they're worried about is what's on the list. Achievements add nothing, as most games already push you to see what's on their lists,and seem to be the participation ribbons of video games.

Top Bottom