• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else playing Botw and wish for trophies???

Well, now you can disable the notifications but it wasn't so for the longest time, right?
It's good that the option is there to disable them in 2017 for those individuals who are physically bothered by a notification.
Yet they pop up all the time telling you "you did good son" even if you aren't "hunting" them.

Wait! Need to check my settings then...
eyy8g8ufb6bilp8gad2d.jpg

Wow aren't options fun!

Qwyjibo

Absolutely. Yes.

I can understand people not caring either way for trophies but why are some people against trophies? Games aren't designed around trophies/achievements, they are simply a fun add-on that people can choose to ignore. They do not detract from the experience.

Some people act as if achievements ruin the precious sanctity of games. Get over yourselves.

Taking pictures of things works well as an "achievement" system, and you can track stuff then because of it.

I'd like some more places to display your stuff than your house as physical trophies.
Like maybe you can display pieces of monsters you've obtained.

Maybe if they had some sort of special item, like Miiverse Stamps they put into Twilight Princess. Like, perhaps new Profile Icons. That's something I think would be cool if implemented into future Nintendo games; get new themes, icons, colors, etc by unlocking them in games.

Absolutely. Yes.

I can understand people not caring either way for trophies but why are some people against trophies? Games aren't designed around trophies/achievements, they are simply a fun add-on that people can choose to ignore. They do not detract from the experience.

Some people act as if achievements ruin the precious sanctity of games. Get over yourselves.

In TheMoon's world, Nintendo is perfect and if they do or don't do it, he questions not except toward those who are baffled from Nintendo's yet again ridiculous decision.

Search his posts. Defend until the end.

The rationale response would be, I don't like them, but y'all have fun while I turn off the notification. Instead his is in summation "fuck you got mine."

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, now you can disable the notifications but it wasn't so for the longest time, right?
The option was added to PS3 in 2013, so almost 4 years ago. Trophies were added in 2009, so it wasnt possible for a long time, but the option has been there for quite some time now :) Not sure how it is with Xbox however.

I don't know guys... This:.
He said "more" :) Your first claim was about enjoying the game at all.

empo

On platforms that support those things, you are welcome to turn the notifications off and pretend they aren't there. Why do you have to rain on everyone else's parade?

I'm pretty sure you still can't turn them off on Steam (without disabling the overlay completely).

Osukaa

I wouldn't mind some type of trophies/Achievements . Cant see what would be wrong with enjoying the moment or item as well as getting a trophy or achievement

I'm with you OP I wish Nintendo would implement a trophy/achievement system. To me it would give me more reason to do odd quests and experiment doing things I would usually not do. I have no idea why people on these threads get crazy over an option like that. LOL I mean if you don't want them then don't play for them, I wonder if some of these people complaining are the same type that complain when they don't get dual audio or if a game is censored.
Let people have their fun. I think the more options we have to enjoy a game is always a good thing. If people wanna play for trophies then who are you to tell them that they're not enjoying the game as it should be played and vice versa.

The option was added to PS3 in 2013, so almost 4 years ago. Trophies were added in 2009, so it wasnt possible for a long time, but the option has been there for quite some time now :) Not sure how it is with Xbox however.

Baby steps. Nintendo doesn't even have a competent online system that is still behind the original Xbox.

Dsyndrome

I'm pretty sure you still can't turn them off on Steam (without disabling the overlay completely).

I agree that there should be an option to disable achievements without notifications being off entirely.

However, if you're annoyed by Steam achievements popping up, wouldn't you logically also be annoyed by constant friend activity notifications as well?

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
Achievements/trophies are pointless without providing a reward.

Binding of Isaac did achievements right. Give me a goddamn incentive, not a digital sticker.

I agree that there should be an option to disable achievements without notifications being off entirely.

However, if you're annoyed by Steam achievements popping up, wouldn't you logically also be annoyed by constant friend activity notifications as well?

Not necessarily, they really shouldn't be tied together.

TannerDemoz

Don't get why people are giving OP such a hard time. It would be a cool feature to allow others to get some extra out of the game. I'd like the inclusion of them – even if it was just dumbed down?

Qwyjibo

In TheMoon's world, Nintendo is perfect and if they do or don't do it, he questions not except toward those who are baffled from Nintendo's yet again ridiculous decision.

The rationale response would be, I don't like them, but y'all have fun while I turn off the notification. Instead his is in summation "fuck you got mine."

It's such an odd viewpoint to have.

Binding of Isaac is one game where Steam achievements greatly enhance the overall experience for me. I love having that constant "carrot" to chase and something to aim for in each run.

Of all the games to wish for Trophies, BotW should be at the bottom. The game rewards you constantly for just playing and exploring. It doesn't need a checklist to get through. It's just fun to play and you constantly unlock and discover new items and areas. I can see the appeal for some games but I'm glad this game doesn't have them.

The anti-achievement crowd is beyond irrational at times. I've had people who are against the idea of having the Sakurai style achievement system (the one used in Kirby Air Ride, Kid Icarus Uprising, Brawl, and Smash 4) with the ability to link unlocks to the achievement system and people still opposed it. At some point it stops being about immersion and starts being about snubbing your nose at non-Nintendo conventions.

SpokkX

I actually thougt exactly the opposite

Finished Horizon just before and the last hours were just a boring slog grinding/finding stuff because of trophies. Trophies destroy parts of a game imo and just makes stuff seem like mandatory checklists to get 100%

I am so glad Nintendo skips trophies, it really makes games less organic and less fun

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't know about "demonstrable proof", but for an example of a dev specifically not implementing achievements because they thought it would clash with the themes of the game, look at Undertale:
tumblr_inline_o7l21tYe6H1rwqfnm_540.png

I don't agree that achievements always take away from the game--when done right they can add to a game--but I believe BotW is similar to undertale in that it encourages the player to play the way they want to play and does not push them towards doing anything they might not want to do.

I haven't actually played Undertale, but from what I understand about it, how has the lack of achievements actually discouraged any of the above? It feels like players still min/max their way to either a 'pacifist' or 'aggressive' ending and discussions surrounding the game usually result in that.

Would achievements change that behavior in any way? If so could they have been adopted to not fully reward min/max or specific playthroughs? Telltale subscribes to this by implementing trophies for progression, NOT for outcomes. Handy for charting global response to their seasons without spoiling or pushing players towards a certain playstyle at all.

Without the creator going more in-depth on the answer, I still don't see how a majority of the audience wouldn't experience the game naturally regardless. There will always be a select minority that will collectively OCD their way through any game. Achievements don't magically turn us into mindless sheep.

PixlNinja

Banned
BotW actually made me realize how worthless and counterproductive trophies are to my gaming life. They don't do anything, and they make me play games in unnatural ways that I wouldn't normally. When a trophy pops for something like starting a new file, or naming your character, what the hell did you even accomplish? It feels so nice to play through a game and not have to worry about having potentially missed one or having to do repetitive, mundane tasks just so people can see that I did repetitive, mundane tasks.

And then you have developers like Naughty Dogg, whose Trophy Lists/Requirements make me want to punch a kitten.

Nepenthe

Why do you need to be arbitrarily validated for coming across or doing something cool? When I find a new house or NPC or landscape, my satisfaction is the discovery I made after a long bout of adventuring, not that the game gave me a star for it.

Kids these days.

KrakaJak

Neo Member
Can't you see how that's not really a problem with the system though, and something on a more personal level? Now if something predatory like charging to unlock trophies for a game happened, that would be awful.

That's the reason Trophies/Cheevos were implemented though.They are not real rewards, they are psychological manipulation and conditioning. Everything, from the little ding noise, to them being on public display to all your "friends" to see and compare has been engineered to coerce players. It's a skinner box. And they are a textbook example of psychological behavior modification .

It doesn't concern you that people regularly cite cheevos as the reason they kept playing a game they would otherwise have put down? It's not the titles inherent strengths drawing them back, but the promise of a ding noise that they've been conditioned treat as an actual reward.

It really disturbs me every time someone cites them as the reason they would or would not buy a game. Or that someone thinks they would enjoy a game more if it had a ding noise and a pop-up every 30 minutes. This is conditioned behavior.

Oh nice, you're me bro? Cool cool.

The thought of a little text box popping up on the corner of the screen like maybe 10 times in your near hundred hours of possible play (that you could probably disable in two seconds in the OS) "ruining" a masterpiece like BoTW for you is fucking hysterical.

So no, it wouldn't have ruined it for you, and you would have bought that shit anyway.

gioGAF

Much better without them. In fact, it is one of the strong points of the Switch. The @tobyfox tweet is perfect, props to him and Nintendo.

People still don't understand the effect of trophies/achievements. They could (and sometimes do) add something positive to a game, but over 90% of the time, they are just useless filler, a lazy reward so you can instead pay for the costume or unlock from the past.

On top of that, they are a psychological ploy to keep you invested in the particular ecosystem (I can't go Sony, what about my achievements? I can't go Microsoft, what about my trophies?). I believe this is why Nintendo did not include them, because in the end they are creating a product for all ages, while other gaming consoles have accepted the fact that they are now selling gambling boxes to children (yay loot boxes /s) and they don't want them to use a different gambling box.

alejo0121

I don't like achievements/trophies but I know some friends who like to hunt achievements in every game they have owned....

So, I would say it would be cool if they are an option that us non-trophy/achievement-people can disable and trophy/achievement-people can enjoy.

Maybe a prompt when starting the game for the first time asking if you want to enable achievements/trophies in that game. That way we all can have fun the way we like it :)

one_kill

Most trophy/achievement sets are a chore to do. Do x a number of times, get this item and do this, collect x number of this. I'm an avid trophy hunter, but I hate the grind of some lists.

I find it refreshing that I can just play most Nintendo games and not think about doing particular things.

DMONKUMA

If by trophy you mean a head mount for killing a 100 silver lynels that you can hang in your house? Then yes I will agree.

The thought of a little text box popping up on the corner of the screen like maybe 10 times in your near hundred hours of possible play (that you could probably disable in two seconds in the OS) "ruining" a masterpiece like BoTW for you is fucking hysterical.

So no, it wouldn't have ruined it for you, and you would have bought that shit anyway.

"ruined"

Who are you quoting? Looking through, the only uses of ruined are people claiming that the OP said that he said that, and the OP telling them "um no I didn't"

If you had an argument of any value, it wouldn't involve actively misrepresenting what the OP said.

Dsyndrome

Why do you need to be arbitrarily validated for coming across or doing something cool?

Why do you need to tell others why or how they should play a game? How does your satisfaction from discovery matter at all to someone who plays for another reason? What do you lose by those validations being there but able to be hidden?
It really disturbs me every time someone cites them as the reason they would or would not buy a game.
It guarantees that when, given the choice and performance being equal, I'll opt for the system that has them implemented.

gioGAF

That's the reason Trophies/Cheevos were implemented though.They are not real rewards, they are psychological manipulation and conditioning. Everything, from the little ding noise, to them being on public display to all your "friends" to see and compare has been engineered to coerce players. It's a skinner box. And they are a textbook example of psychological behavior modification .

It doesn't concern you that people regularly cite cheevos as the reason they kept playing a game they would otherwise have put down? It's not the titles inherent strengths drawing them back, but the promise of a ding noise that they've been conditioned treat as an actual reward.

It really disturbs me every time someone cites them as the reason they would or would not buy a game. Or that someone thinks they would enjoy a game more if it had a ding noise and a pop-up every 30 minutes. This is conditioned behavior.
Totally agree. If trophies/achievements could be opted out of, I would not have as much of a problem with them. I'm not talking about that bullshit to turn off notifications, they are still there and at some point in time you WILL check them and they WILL influence your behavior.

Why are we not allowed to COMPLETELY opt out? Just like any install on anything.

DMONKUMA

"ruined"

Who are you quoting? Looking through, the only uses of ruined are people claiming that the OP said that he said that, and the OP telling them "um no I didn't"

If you had an argument of any value, it wouldn't involve actively misrepresenting what the OP said.

To be fair there was another thread similiar to this one and some posters were saying it would ruin or have made the game experience worst.

Lgndryhr

No thank you. I used to care during 360 era for a brief stint. Now I can't stand trophies and achievements. I'd rather see data like percentage completed game on what difficulty.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why do you need to be arbitrarily validated for coming across or doing something cool? When I find a new house or NPC or landscape, my satisfaction is the discovery I made after a long bout of adventuring, not that the game gave me a star for it.

Kids these days.
Because he probably enjoys having a list of challenges to complete. This is not really something new, so it doesnt really apply to "kids these days". You never tried to get like 101% in Donkey Kong Country when you were a kid or something similar?

No thank you. I used to care during 360 era for a brief stint. Now I can't stand trophies and achievements. I'd rather see data like percentage completed game on what difficulty.
Trophies can give you that information, if there is trophy for it. It shows how many percentage of the people who have started the game have completed something. That is also one aspect that i think can be interesting with a system like this.

bryt

I would love it if it had trophies/achievements. I play games for fun and achievement/trophies just add more fun for me. BOTW is already super fun, trophies/achievements would just make it a tad more fun.

TheMoon

He's a staunch Nintendo defender

Ah this nonsense again. Have at it.

I've been through my trophy hunting phase and got over it quickly as I realized it took the fun out of almost everything and introduced nothing but stress.

To be fair there was another thread similiar to this one and some posters were saying it would ruin or have made the game experience worst.

Nah, I just fucked up and misunderstood, and reacted unfairly due to my misunderstanding. I would agree that the presence of achievements doesn't have to ruin a game. For me, this is how Nintendo should do an achievement system:

1. No developer has to include achievements
2. Base the achievement system on Sakurai's, where achievements are revealed only in proximity to completed ones:

maxresdefault.jpg

3. Achievements can be disabled and replaced with an unlock notification (when applicable or appropriate).

Top Bottom