• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else think Starfox 64 is not nearly as good as Starfox original?

3 reasons why I don't think Starfox 64 is as good as the original.

1. Shift of focus from dodging junk to gaining combos. Starfox has you dodging junk all the time. [video] It's fun and frantic. Starfox 64 has less of that and more shooting for high combos.

2. All-Range Mode. Also shows a much bigger focus on shooting instead of dodging and skillfully flying. All-Range Mode is something that flight sim lovers would probably like, but I really dislike flying around in a small arena, destroying the same enemies over and over.

3. Weird conditions for exploring different levels. Starfox was great. Choose Course 1, 2, or 3, each of which has a different difficulty and 6 or 7 completely different levels. Starfox 64 starts you off at the same level all the time, and finding the conditions to branch to other levels is often weird. (Make sure Falco doesn't die and then fly under 7 arches to move to a good level? Weird.)

Those are the three big, important reasons why Starfox 64 really disappointed me.

Some other things about original Starfox that I believe were better:

Bosses. Not including the all-range mode bosses, Starfox 64 had some pretty great bosses. However, Starfox's bosses were more imaginative [two-headed fire-breathing robot dinosaur!] and also had you relying on dodging enemy fire as well as their physical bodies [like this spider boss].

Music. Starfox 64 has some good tunes, but nothing like the original's Fortuna, its boss theme, Titania, its boss theme, Macbeth, its boss theme, Venom Surface, and other boss themes.

So yeah... Does anyone else think Starfox original is a whole lot better than Starfox 64? If not, then what do you like about Starfox 64?

Beth Cyra

Can't say I agree, the stupid voices from Star Fox one bothered me and to top it off I never made it pass the first level I think.

i think both games are excellent. where they differ i perceive stylistic choices both in aesthetics and actual mechanics. one is not necessarily better than the other, they just provide different experiences.

in general i much prefer 64's mechanics over the original, but love the tone and design of the original more.

markot

Banned
Nope >_<

Star Fox 64 owned me. Played it so much. Plus there was a Koala, bill I think he was called >.<!!!! I loved most of the levels.

Death to the submarine level though... death to it....

Gravijah

Star Fox 1 is definitely better than Star Fox 64, imo. I really like the graphics of Star Fox 1, too and wish we'd get a sequel with a stylized version of 'em.

i loved the tank stages on 64, but didnt like the submarine stages... which is only normally, i dont like underwater stages in virtually every games that has 'em.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Both were awesome, seriously, but I much prefer Starfox 64 because of its space opera cheesiness and superior controls.

Man never realised how far advanced the original Star Fox actually was...

I have never played it, but loved Star Fox 64, and for some reason I thought Star Fox on SNES was just a barebone version of the 64 game.

Hmm maybe I should try it out on the VC one day.

Osuwari

i think SF64 is better than the original but the original has its charms too.

i wish it would come out for VC since i never owned it.

I've only played a tad bit bit of the original, beat Adventures, and got a decent bit through Assault.

64 3DS looks great, so I'd LOVE to try it when it comes out! :D

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Starfox 64 was overall the better game but the original syncs up perfectly with Dire Straits' Money for Nothin' so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Not sure. I did used to think that when I'd only played 64 a little bit in the past but bought it when it came to the VC and got into it in a big way. It's been ages since I've played snes starfox so I'd need to do that to decide, just need a virtual console release. Please Nintendo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
While I didn't mind the gameplay in the original Starfox, I've always thought it was a terribly ugly game.

Never did play the 64 version.

NotWii

Banned
I like the music and artstyle of starfox1 more, the look of the arwings on the box and manual

sfmanual-13.jpg

vs
arwing64.jpg

But overall I like StarFox 64 more

To be honest, I thought the submarine level was one of the better levels in the game... I think it was because of the torpedoes, creating light, atmosphere, and destruction of pillars.

Metroid Killer said:
Man never realised how far advanced the original Star Fox actually was...

I have never played it, but loved Star Fox 64, and for some reason I thought Star Fox on SNES was just a barebone version of the 64 game.

Hmm maybe I should try it out on the VC one day.
Well, a lot of people call Starfox 64 a re-imagining of the original (I don't know why... Maybe someone officially said it?) so I can see why you would think that.

However, the original Star Fox was indeed ahead of its time. It's weird... Because I grew up with it, I didn't realize that fact, but thinking back now, I'm starting to understand why it was so great and stuff.

Hero of Legend said:
64 3DS looks great, so I'd LOVE to try it when it comes out! :D
Me too. This is the kind of game that would look very amazing in 3D.

syoaran

Starfox 64 fan here, more so then anything in the series. There are very few games out there that I wanted to complete 100%, this was one of them. Very fast, very smooth game, great audio and rumbleeeeeee

Don't really agree. While I'm not a big fan of being forced to combo in games, there's no denying adding the medals to Starfox 64 encouraged me to replay those levels a heck of a lot to improve my game and get the next unlockable. By contrast once I got good at Starfox there wasn't a lot to replay for. The game was never super challenging, and the only real secret was the Black Hole which basically led nowhere and ended your game.

The original is a great game nonetheless but I'd happily revisit Starfox 64 today while I wouldn't play more than a level of the original. Oh and the fact that the game spent so much of its time slowed down as the Super FX chip wasn't really up to coping with a lot of what the levels threw at it didn't help.

Woffls

Hell no. And Starfox 64 has stood the test of time more firmly. I can play that game now and enjoy it as much as any modern game.

Couldn't get into Star Fox, but I loved 64. I didn't want to buy 64 cause the original wasn't great imo, but since the N64 lacked games I had no choice, and boy was I glad. I even got 100%! The only thing I liked in the original were the secret levels like the Black Hole or the one with the Slot Machine boss.

BikoBiko

LOVE StarFox 64 but I may be biased since I played the SNES version years after that. But at the time of release it must've been mindblowing. The 3DS just needs to introduce a save system to SF64 and it'll be pretty much perfect IMO.

Cirruss

Was too young to remember the original very well, i remember liking it a lot though which was got me excited when i heard that Starfox was going to be released on the 64.

Phoenixus

Loved Lylat Wars (bloody Europe) a lot, but have never played the original. If Nintendo released a VC/WiiWare update that controlled like the Microgame in Warioware Smooth Moves though, I'd be first in line. :D

Oh, and Starfox Assault was great too, couldn't get on with Command unfortunately. :(

No, Lylat Wars is much better than Starwing, much more intense gameplay. As for secret routes Starwing also had stupid ways to unlock hidden levels( shoot the middle asteroid in the 1st two asteroid formations & then crash into the 3rd etc.)

I love how the original was so empty and blocky. It made the game kind of haunting. 64 was lame in so many ways, especially the open area levels.

Cheerilee

I haven't played either in a long time, but I recall feeling rather let down by Starfox 64. It might be because my impression of the N64 at the time was that it was a system that was born to deliver an incredible Starfox experience (unlike the PlayStation or Saturn), and while Starfox 64 might have exceeded Starfox in every way, it might not have met my unrealistic hopes.

Either that or Starfox 1 was just more suited to my tastes. I can't say for sure.

M.I.S. said:
I hit Starfox 64's Corneria music in the related section after listening to this one for a while, and was all "WTF is this shit?"

Cobra84

I can't stand SF64 because it is just too easy. Aside from a few spots, SF64's hardest route isn't even close to SF's middle difficulty route.

ruby_onix said:
I hit Starfox 64's Corneria music in the related section after listening to this one for a while, and was all "WTF is this shit?"
I had never played them back to back before and I won't again unless I want to rip my ears off.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Cobra84 said:
I can't stand SF64 because it is just too easy. Aside from a few spots, SF64's hardest route isn't even close to SF's middle difficulty route.
Is expert mode really that easy? I never got the medals to unlock it.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Star Fox 64 plays better. End of story. Controlling the Arwing is night and day between the two versions.

Music is better on the SNES.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The original Starfox had some pluses (sp?) over Starfox64. But, overall, SF64 expanded on the gameplay of the original was made a for a very good shooter.

I don't know, I always get bored of those games after 2 levels :lol I'm one of those weirdo who only likes Starfox Command on Nintendo DS over all the other games :lol

Mihos

Gold Member
I have a lot of nostalgia over the first one. There really wasn't anything like it at the time it came out. Replaying them both now, though. SF64 was better.

I too believe Star Fox 64 is inferior to the original. From the first moment I plugged the cart in and powered up, I knew something was wrong.

The graphics. Yes, people generally praise the game's graphics. I wasn't that impressed. The textures were pretty bland and blurry (even for an N64 game hur hur). The blurriness is particularly bad in the outer space levels with characters/bosses that have large sprites as part of their animations:

starfox22.JPG

This looks ok here, but blown up on a TV? Eh....

Also, the music was terrible. Star Fox had an incredible theme, which was missing obviously from the new one, but so were ALL THE OTHER amazing themes. And not just that, the music itself sounded half-assed. When you compare the music in 64 to a game like Super Mario 64, there is a noticable difference in not just the artistic quality of the music, but the technical quality. Disappointment number two.

Finally, I really wasn't feeling the on-land missions, and the fact that you weren't able to control Great Fox. Why give us a miss on that and instead throw in lame ground missions that to me were more frustrating than fun? A chore needing completing before getting back into the airwing?

Oh, one more thing, I didn't like the incredible 'camp' vibe throughout. The beyond-lame voice acting first and foremost. But when you were playing Star Fox on the SNES, did you not feel an over-arching sense of dread? Yes, the game had a sense of humor to it, but to me, it had more urgency throughout. The voice acting in Star Fox 64 didn't match what the characters were going through and for that reason among others I think it failed to live up to the drama of the battles in the first game.

Top Bottom