• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else think Starfox 64 is not nearly as good as Starfox original?

K' Dash

aztrex said:
I too believe Star Fox 64 is inferior to the original. From the first moment I plugged the cart in and powered up, I knew something was wrong.

The graphics. Yes, people generally praise the game's graphics. I wasn't that impressed. The textures were pretty bland and blurry (even for an N64 game hur hur). The blurriness is particularly bad in the outer space levels with characters/bosses that have large sprites as part of their animations:

starfox22.JPG

This looks ok here, but blown up on a TV? Eh....

Also, the music was terrible. Star Fox had an incredible theme, which was missing obviously from the new one, but so were ALL THE OTHER amazing themes. And not just that, the music itself sounded half-assed. When you compare the music in 64 to a game like Super Mario 64, there is a noticable difference in not just the artistic quality of the music, but the technical quality. Disappointment number two.

Finally, I really wasn't feeling the on-land missions, and the fact that you weren't able to control Great Fox. Why give us a miss on that and instead throw in lame ground missions that to me were more frustrating than fun? A chore needing completing before getting back into the airwing?

Oh, one more thing, I didn't like the incredible 'camp' vibe throughout. The beyond-lame voice acting first and foremost. But when you were playing Star Fox on the SNES, did you not feel an over-arching sense of dread? Yes, the game had a sense of humor to it, but to me, it had more urgency throughout. The voice acting in Star Fox 64 didn't match what the characters were going through and for that reason among others I think it failed to live up to the drama of the battles in the first game.

Your post is so full of fail, music IS awesome, voice acting was the most fucking awesome shit, just because of the conversations they had about EVERYTHING, I like the japanese version better but american was fine.

Using the land master IS so full of win, felt SO Badass, especially fighting the bosses

But you're welcome to stay here and troll this excellent game, nothing you say will change the fact that is awesome ;)

I love both, but for me, 64 is much much better. It's in my top 5 favorite games of all time. The Charge shot made the game so gnarly. I love it!

And I love the voice acting.

"Alright gang, let's check in!"
"Slippy here, A-Okay!"
"Yer beginnin' to look more and more like your father."
"Blow it out your ass, Fox."

I wish they would increase the amount of good it does you to have your members alive. Slippy gives you a boss life-bar. Peppy gives you advice. Falco is an awesome pilot. They should emphasize their strengths more. And please, no freaky furry female fighters. I want 4 bad dudes fuckin' shit up with lasers. I also want to be able to search for Star Fox in Google Images without getting assaulted with fanart from furry fanatics.

TreIII

Pretty much the only thing I'll give the original game was a slightly better OST, and possibly more interesting secrets to find. Anybody remember finding your way to the "Slot Machine"? :lol

Otherwise, while I love both games, 64 is the one that I truly love. Combo-based score-attacking fit this arcade-style game like a glove. I really hope that 64+ for the 3DS sells well, so that we can FINALLY get more like it.

Medalion

Banned
Da fuck? Star Fox 64 was not blurry by N64 standards, it was actually one of the more sharper looking ones. If you want blurry for blurry sakes... Turok 1, Superman 64, Blastcorps, Quest 64.

the problem I had with Starfox 64 graphicallyy, after nearly a decade afterwards on Virtual Console, it turns out the effect that bothered me was what was called Dithering of the graphics. It was removed in the VC edition.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Medalion said:
Da fuck? Star Fox 64 was not blurry by N64 standards, it was actually one of the more sharper looking ones. If you want blurry for blurry sakes... Turok 1, Superman 64, Blastcorps, Quest 64.

the problem I had with Starfox 64 graphicallyy, after nearly a decade afterwards on Virtual Console, it turns out the effect that bothered me was what was called Dithering of the graphics. It was removed in the VC edition.
So that's why I thought it looked much better! I've been playing it on my HDTV lately and I thought it looked wonderful compared to my memories of it.

Medalion said:

Can you elaborate more on what 'dithering' is? Perhaps this is what I was referring to. Either way it alone nearly broke the game for me back in '97.

And to the joke poster above who said I was 'trolling', I'm assuming that post was tongue in cheek, at least somewhat. If so, well done, you both made me smile and pissed me off. :) Take your fanboy visor off!!

Gravijah said:
DABUDU DABA

BURBOOWING DABBIT

Medalion said:
The Dithering effect made the graphics look somehow pixellated/blocky within the polygons themselves...like a grid like effect.

THIS is what killed it for me. Ugh, it was horrible. Why did they do this? Was it intentional or because they were pushing the hardware too far and they had to sacrifice graphical fidelity for performance?

Medalion

Banned
The Dithering effect made the graphics look somehow pixellated/blocky within the polygons themselves...like a grid like effect.

Particularly noticeable in the asteroid levels

Give me the first one with better speed and the controls of 64 and I will be in heaven. The speed is the only thing that I dislike about the original over 64, and I know that was a limitation of the superFX chip.

But one huge reason why the original is superior: character voices! Give me the gibberish of the original over real voices any day.

Gravijah

PhoncipleBone said:
Give me the first one with better speed and the controls of 64 and I will be in heaven. The speed is the only thing that I dislike about the original over 64, and I know that was a limitation of the superFX chip.

But one huge reason why the original is superior: character voices! Give me the gibberish of the original over real voices any day.

There's a reason I love Animal Crossing and Twilight Princess so much. <333

VVV Mars VG

I agree, StarFox on SNES was a much darker sleeker game, with a dramatic serious soundtrack, it felt like a proper space adventure. But like the recent DKC everything is always being made more kiddy like, it's all going backwards and so the style just doesn't suit what I look for. It's surprising then that no competent rivals have picked up the batton.

GDGF

Soothsayer
VVV Mars VG said:
I agree, StarFox on SNES was a much darker sleeker game, with a dramatic serious soundtrack, it felt like a proper space adventure. But like the recent DKC everything is always being made more kiddy like, it's all going backwards and so the style just doesn't suit what I look for. It's surprising then that no competent rivals have picked up the batton.

I agree the game was a bit darker on the SNES. I particularly liked when you would destroy an enemy ship and its pilot would float out into the darkness of space.

Wish there would have been some of that in the 64 version :lol

Medalion

Banned
Star Fox SNES seemed darker because everything was generic polygon robots/aliens firing at you with ominous and brilliant intimidating moody music.

I don't remember a damn thing about Star Fox 64's music. But it was still fun to play for hours and hours.

InfiniteNine said:
You monster!
It adds to the charm for me. As if they are speaking their own language. Also, no localization required!

I am also less inclined to want to shoot Slippy when his voice is gibberish.

NotWii

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
You know StarFox 64 has the gibberish as well right?
Go play with the options menu

Medalion

Banned
aztrex said:
THIS is what killed it for me. Ugh, it was horrible. Why did they do this? Was it intentional or because they were pushing the hardware too far and they had to sacrifice graphical fidelity for performance?
From a wiki entry on Dithering as a video technique

Dithering is a technique used in computer graphics to create the illusion of color depth in images with a limited color palette (color quantization). In a dithered image, colors not available in the palette are approximated by a diffusion of colored pixels from within the available palette. The human eye perceives the diffusion as a mixture of the colors within it (see color vision). Dithering is analogous to the halftone technique used in printing. Dithered images, particularly those with relatively few colors, can often be distinguished by a characteristic graininess, or speckled appearance.

Yeap. StarFox 64 was my first Nintendo 64 game but I never liked or played it as much as the original. Multiplayer with my friends was kind of cool but they played the heck out of the game so I was never very good.

Then again that's the same for most of Nintendo's franchises, I preferred the SNES versions of Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart over their N64 versions.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The music in the original is 150 PERCENT PURE WIN and the ending themes contain so much awesomesause I want to cry.....

Imagine the HORROR when I discovered they changed the music for the worse in SF 64.....

I mean some of the SNES Starfox music rivals Zelda tunes!!!

SAMPLE THE PERFECTION!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSiot2xxoYo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-f4QMkhtQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YID6v32XBj4&feature=related

VV this is the shit right hereVV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll59ZZirtEM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag6wnhRgTIc&feature=related

*tears swell up in eyes*

Why would you do that? said:
3 reasons why I don't think Starfox 64 is as good as the original.

1. Shift of focus from dodging junk to gaining combos. Starfox has you dodging junk all the time. [video] It's fun and frantic. Starfox 64 has less of that and more shooting for high combos.

2. All-Range Mode. Also shows a much bigger focus on shooting instead of dodging and skillfully flying. All-Range Mode is something that flight sim lovers would probably like, but I really dislike flying around in a small arena, destroying the same enemies over and over.

3. Weird conditions for exploring different levels. Starfox was great. Choose Course 1, 2, or 3, each of which has a different difficulty and 6 or 7 completely different levels. Starfox 64 starts you off at the same level all the time, and finding the conditions to branch to other levels is often weird. (Make sure Falco doesn't die and then fly under 7 arches to move to a good level? Weird.)

Those are the three big, important reasons why Starfox 64 really disappointed me.

Some other things about original Starfox that I believe were better:

Bosses. Not including the all-range mode bosses, Starfox 64 had some pretty great bosses. However, Starfox's bosses were more imaginative [two-headed fire-breathing robot dinosaur!] and also had you relying on dodging enemy fire as well as their physical bodies [like this spider boss].

Music. Starfox 64 has some good tunes, but nothing like the original's Fortuna, its boss theme, Titania, its boss theme, Macbeth, its boss theme, Venom Surface, and other boss themes.

So yeah... Does anyone else think Starfox original is a whole lot better than Starfox 64? If not, then what do you like about Starfox 64?

Why would you do that?

The crazy part is I like Star Fox 64 much more than the original, but can't really give you an answer. I just prefer it :/ So I guess I understand where you're coming from...

Holy shit, I'm glad I found this thread! I thought I was the only person in existence that feels this way. I've been waiting and dreaming for Star Fox SNES to make it to Wii Virtual Console and I've just about given up on it. When I saw that Star Fox 3DS is the 64 version I nearly punched a wall; that shit is already up on the VC and easily playable right now.

Flakster99

Tough choice, but I have to go with Starfox 64.

WOW factor? Starfox was a sublime, new experience that took my friends and I by surprise.

Fun factor, replay value? Starfox 64. It's 4 player split-screen, along with the analog control and the lock-on system... good times.

Pachinko

Starfox 64 is a better game, more stages , more variety, better bosses , star wolf.

Not to mention it runs at a framerate that's actually playable. The original game was a neat tech demo for SNES , nothing more.

Nessus

Man, the more I think about it, the more I wish Nintendo would give the original Star Fox the same treatment as Star Fox 64 on 3DS.

Make it one of their intentionally retro games and keep the un-textured polygons, make it really smooth 60 FPS and up the resolution, and make it absolutely fluid.

And then yeah, the addition of an analog stick for flying would be heavenly.

*sigh*

Then there's the never materialized Star Fox 2 (Command does *not* count).

Jazzem

Lylat Wars was the coolest thing ever to me as a kid :D I'd still very much coin that game as the most quotable out there. I really need to find me a buddy I can just relay SF64 lines with back and forth :p

Starwing I got with my preowned SNES in 2002, it's certainly an interesting one, and as has been said the soundtrack is amazing (though I'd argue against the accusations of SF64's being poor; I always found it pretty atmospheric). It lacks some of the personality of the sequel, but I do like the emphasis on obstacle dodging and the sense of dread (does anyone else find early 3D weirdly creepy at times?...please tell me I'm not going nuts :().

Conclusion: I prefer the N64 game, but they're both awesome :D I'm very much looking forward to the 3DS remake; wouldn't it be awesome if they threw SNES levels in there as well? I might try clearing the SNES game on route 2/3 now...

Oh and chalk me as another fan of the DS game. It's more of a guilty pleasure since there's a lot wrong with it, but I ended up playing it through to all of the endings (nine I think?) and had a fair few online matches.

Ranger X

I was a big fans of SNES Starfox when it came out but Starfox 64 made me wet even more.

It's true that the Corneria song or again that slot machine level song is superior to anything on the Starfox 64 soundtrack but that later won the gameplay awards. There's also some of the best gaming quotes ever heard in a videogame there.

I also think Starfox 64 is more diverse, fun and easier (aka I am to finish it lol) to the contrary of Starfox SNES.

I agree also that Starfox 64 forgot a little bit about that "dodging stuff" gameplay the first game had but hey, that was no big deal, I was amazed at plenty other things.

the austerity of the original's graphics just evoke a completely different feeling than the more populated and cartoonish style of the sequel. i really dig that.

also, i actually liked starfox adventures. its just not a starfox game, i guess.

I liked Star Fox 64 but fucking LOVED the first game. The first 3D game for a lot of people on consoles, the first promise of polygons, of flight that really immersed you in the world, weird awesome abstract levels/enemies and badass music. That game was the shit. 64 feels like much less of a revelation, more of an expansion into story and characters that was the downfall of the series.

Star Fox 64 is my fav, such an awesome game, never really got into the original.

I remember looking around in the options of Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64) back in the days and not really understanding what the gibberish language thing was. :lol

I have to disagree with you on that. the original Star Fox had far better music though. I like it that Star Fox 64 diversified more in game play. I also love the cheesy dialogue and voice acting, because it gave the game a lot of charm. The game is so quotable it's not even funny. Star Fox 64 also has tighter controls to me. I still love the original Star Fox though.

I don't like it nearly as much, but it's still a terrific game.

I haven't really cared for any of the Star Fox games since then, either.

Mak

Star Fox is a classic, but it's sequel Star Fox 64 is just so much more awesome. I played through the original Star Fox not long ago in its entirety and while its good, the low frame rate doesn't hold up as well, and came away with the feeling that Star Fox 64 was a big improvement. All range mode battles were new at the time and broke up the usual on the rails gameplay. It also expanded on the original's 3 path course by letting you replay levels to find the different paths. The voice acting was cartoonish, but acted much better than later entries like Assualt.

edit
The Rumble Pak for Star Fox 64 was a big part of the intial experience too.

The SNES Star Fox's music is much better than the N64 version though. (Star Fox 64 with SNES Star Fox music mixed in is cool.)

Star Fox 64 is a remake of the SNES game's story.

I try not to let nostalgia cloud my judgement too much. The original Starfox was amazing for it's novelty (OMG FX CHIP)! The music was neat, and the gameplay was awesome.

But Starfox 64 blows this game out of the water on almost every level (except maybe music).

Brera

Banned
I was really dissapointed in SF64, but it did grow on me in the different way and it is still an awesome game but I was underwhelmed at first.

SF on the other hand is godly and simply one of my favourite ever games. I have played it recently to completion and it has stood the test of time. Especially the music. Koji Kondo's greatest work!

Kibbles

I absolutely hate the original. I can't play it today. I can still play Star Fox 64 today without my eyes blowing up.

loosus

Banned
I have mixed feelings.

I like the music in the original much, much more. It was both catchier and just better sounding, which makes no sense since the N64 was technically more capable.

The controls are generally better in Star Fox 64. It's much more fluid, and I feel like I have more control of the ship.

I do not like All-Range Mode. It's just a distraction and seems to have been put in as an effort to differentiate the game from the original. I felt like I was doing more hunting down of the enemies than actually having fun.

The art style that the developers were aiming for looks better in the original Star Fox. Now, if you asked me, "Would you prefer a game look like Star Fox or Star Fox 64 by itself," then I'd answer "Star Fox 64." But if you look in the manual of the original Star Fox, you can see the art style they were aiming for, and I like that the most. In addition, the colors were more vibrant and poppy in the original, which I liked.

Finally, the voices really killed 64. No more please. It's not cute. And no, Star Fox does not need any more shitty friends.

Brera

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
I try not to let nostalgia cloud my judgement too much. The original Starfox was amazing for it's novelty (OMG FX CHIP)! The music was neat, and the gameplay was awesome.

But Starfox 64 blows this game out of the water on almost every level (except maybe music).

I disagree.

SF64 lacked any tension whatsoever.

Only by unlocking the expert mode did it ever compete with the original in terms of action. Not many people got that far into it.

Having played both hardcore, I think I know what I'm talking about. I agree 100% with the points raised by every backing the original.

It's the same difference between SNES Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64.

Brera said:
I disagree.

SF64 lacked any tension whatsoever.

Only by unlocking the expert mode did it ever compete with the original in terms of action. Not many people got that far into it.

Having played both hardcore, I think I know what I'm talking about. I agree 100% with the points raised by every backing the original.

It's the same difference between SNES Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64.
Good analogy. The originals seemed tighter and better designed, but the better control and graphics of the sequels helps elevate those, even if the level and game design are not as good. All are great games, but the originals are just a lil more special.

ha1f

i definitely prefer the snes game to the n64 game. i can count on two hands how many times i've played through the 64 game, but i figure i've gotta be somewhere around 50-60 play throughs on the original.

og music ftw.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I actually have an even more controversial opinion about the series.

I like StarFox Command more than 64, too :p

Well, we all know you love furry melodrama. =P

Top Bottom