• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
can upgrade on my contract early september

coming from a galaxy s4, not sure what to upgrade too, was contemplating an iphone. Is it worth getting the 6 plus over the 6? Or are the differences minimal?

Okay. I exchanged my iPhone 6 like you guys suggested, it wa rather quick. Second day in, and it did a soft reset again! This time just as I clicked on Instagram.

Diagnostics has some JetsamEvents and LatestCrashTumblr.ips.

I think something about tumblr is causing the crash? Maybe tumblr is leaking memory or using up too much of the ram and causing a force reset? I don't know. My friend uses tumblr and has a 6 but doesn't have the problem, I'm running iOS 8.3 and am on Verizon.

was $500 a decent price for an unlocked iphone 6plus 16 gb model?

my cousin was selling his and i bit since i had my nexus 5 for 2 years now

i know a new phone is releasing in september but i figured why not

tr4656

Okay. I exchanged my iPhone 6 like you guys suggested, it wa rather quick. Second day in, and it did a soft reset again! This time just as I clicked on Instagram.

Diagnostics has some JetsamEvents and LatestCrashTumblr.ips.

I think something about tumblr is causing the crash? Maybe tumblr is leaking memory or using up too much of the ram and causing a force reset? I don't know. My friend uses tumblr and has a 6 but doesn't have the problem, I'm running iOS 8.3 and am on Verizon.
Have you tried deleting and then reinstalling tumblr
was $500 a decent price for an unlocked iphone 6plus 16 gb model?

my cousin was selling his and i bit since i had my nexus 5 for 2 years now
yeah although 16GB isn't the greatest.

i know a new phone is releasing in september but i figured why not

My iPhone 6 resets 3-5 times a day. I only noticed this when I switched my sim back to my Lumia icon to use as my daily driver. Is this known?

Half the time I have airplane mode on and am only listen to music. Just absolutely bizarre.

Ok so here's a question for you guys, (not sure if there's a better thread for this so bare with me)

When I go out and about I don't have data always on with my iPhone 6, and mostly use internet based messaging to save the cost on texts as most of my contacts either have whatsapp, imessage or Facebook messenger.

Now if I was a sent a message using WhatsApp or Facebook while I was out, the phone would alert me when I next connect to the internet, either coming home and connecting to wifi or turning 3G on. But for some reason, iMessages haven't been coming through if my phone had no internet when they were sent. What happens instead is my Mac picks them up and only when I wake it up does it say, 'X number of messages'.

So.. wtf? This never used to happen, usually the iMessage would come through when I next connected to the internet but for some reason it goes to my macbook even with the lid closed and in sleep mode. This is really annoying as checking my mac when I get home isn't the first thing I do so it could be hours that I get a message about something potentially important. Even more frustrating is when the message has been read on my Mac, it still doesn't appear on the phone. So when I reply and look back at the thread on my phone, it looks like I'm talking to myself. What gives? Is there a fix for this?

Edit - have also tried the whole signing out, signing in, turning off iMessage and back on again, is there anything else I can do?

Husker86

Ok so here's a question for you guys, (not sure if there's a better thread for this so bare with me)

When I go out and about I don't have data always on with my iPhone 6, and mostly use internet based messaging to save the cost on texts as most of my contacts either have whatsapp, imessage or Facebook messenger.

Now if I was a sent a message using WhatsApp or Facebook while I was out, the phone would alert me when I next connect to the internet, either coming home and connecting to wifi or turning 3G on. But for some reason, iMessages haven't been coming through if my phone had no internet when they were sent. What happens instead is my Mac picks them up and only when I wake it up does it say, 'X number of messages'.

So.. wtf? This never used to happen, usually the iMessage would come through when I next connected to the internet but for some reason it goes to my macbook even with the lid closed and in sleep mode. This is really annoying as checking my mac when I get home isn't the first thing I do so it could be hours that I get a message about something potentially important. Even more frustrating is when the message has been read on my Mac, it still doesn't appear on the phone. So when I reply and look back at the thread on my phone, it looks like I'm talking to myself. What gives? Is there a fix for this?

Edit - have also tried the whole signing out, signing in, turning off iMessage and back on again, is there anything else I can do?

If you say it didn't happen before, then all I can think of is try turning off power nap on your Mac? That was the feature they added a while back to let your Mac pick up things like iMessages and such when in sleep mode.

Ninja Dom

HeavyMetalLover91, It should work. I work in a place where I sometimes get no reception for up to an hour. I have a full phone & data plan. But my iPhone will have 'No Service' while I'm working for maybe an hour to two hours while I'm working in a specific place (underground).

When I get to an area where I have service then my iMessage's will come through. And they'll also have the timestamp that shows they were sent however minutes ago when all I had was No Service.

I also have iMessage running on both my Mac & iPad. And they'll get the messages at the correct time (because I keep these at home).

Very strange behaviour going on for you. The only explanation I can think of is that the iMessage service somehow realises that your number doesn't have a data plan and so disregards iMessage's being sent to your number. Do some tests with people sending iMessages to your Apple ID email address and see if that works.

I think I'm going to stop showering with this thing. It's kind of entertaining, but the screen doesn't really respond when your hands are wet, and even if the watch is "water resistant" I don't want to risk anything

Plus I'm even more sure I'm damaging the classic buckle (leather) in the shower

dc89

I think I'm going to stop showering with this thing. It's kind of entertaining, but the screen doesn't really respond when your hands are wet, and even if the watch is "water resistant" I don't want to risk anything

Plus I'm even more sure I'm damaging the classic buckle (leather) in the shower

I would advise against constantly getting the leather wet.

I would advise against constantly getting the leather wet.

Huh, posted this in the wrong thread anyway. Just read "Apple" and assumed that "Watch" immediately followed. My bad.

Anyway, yeah. Two times in the shower isn't going to hurt the band too much, right?

Einbroch

Banned
Just ordered a 6+ for myself and a 6 for the fiancé from Verizon. $200 off each with the promotion, talked to customer service and got the upgrade fees waived. $100 for two upgrades from two battered and bruised iPhone 5? Worth.

If you say it didn't happen before, then all I can think of is try turning off power nap on your Mac? That was the feature they added a while back to let your Mac pick up things like iMessages and such when in sleep mode.

Thanks, will try this out, hoping this might fix it.

HeavyMetalLover91, It should work. I work in a place where I sometimes get no reception for up to an hour. I have a full phone & data plan. But my iPhone will have 'No Service' while I'm working for maybe an hour to two hours while I'm working in a specific place (underground).

When I get to an area where I have service then my iMessage's will come through. And they'll also have the timestamp that shows they were sent however minutes ago when all I had was No Service.

I also have iMessage running on both my Mac & iPad. And they'll get the messages at the correct time (because I keep these at home).

Very strange behaviour going on for you. The only explanation I can think of is that the iMessage service somehow realises that your number doesn't have a data plan and so disregards iMessage's being sent to your number. Do some tests with people sending iMessages to your Apple ID email address and see if that works.

Thanks, will definitely try that, hopefully playing around with it enough will fix. Failing that I suppose the El Capitan and iOS9 updates aren't too far off so that could potentially 'reset' any bugs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just wondering, anyone know how to delete Documents and Data from the Podcast app?

rWTkTebl.jpg

It's taking up a lot of my space, and I can't swipe to delete it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i have an ipad but hopefully you don't mind me asking in here.

I rented a couple of movies while I was away on business, downloaded to my ipad because shitty hotel wifi isn't good for streaming - but haven't watched them.

when I got home I thought I'd watch on my computer instead, but I can't find them anywhere. From googling it looks like they're stuck on my ipad? I don't sync my ipad with my computer at all so is there anything I can do, except hunch over a tiny screen? Seems unnecessarily restrictive.

Ninja Dom

I rented a couple of movies while I was away on business, downloaded to my ipad because shitty hotel wifi isn't good for streaming - but haven't watched them.

when I got home I thought I'd watch on my computer instead, but I can't find them anywhere. From googling it looks like they're stuck on my ipad? I don't sync my ipad with my computer at all so is there anything I can do, except hunch over a tiny screen? Seems unnecessarily restrictive.

Did you download through iTunes Store? And were they specifically, rentals?

If they were then load up iTunes on your computer, go to the video store part and go to the exact movie (you can get to it easy from the 'Purchased' section). If you get the iCloud icon then you can download it to your computer.

iTunes said:
If you rent a film, it will download immediately. You have 30 days to decide where and when you want to watch your film. Once you click Play, you have 48 hours from that point to finish it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
was rented through itunes store directly on ipad, and downloaded to ipad.

On my computer, I'm logged into the itunes store and both movies still have a price next to them. They show up in the account section of itunes as a past purchase, but nothing there I can click on to download.

Vyer

rentals can only be on one device. I'd imagine it's a licensing or DRM issue of some sort when it comes to rentals, as it doesn't apply for anything else.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
rentals can only be on one device. I'd imagine it's a licensing or DRM issue of some sort when it comes to rentals, as it doesn't apply for anything else.

damn. If I delete it from my ipad, will it show up for download on my computer? I don't want to delete it and be completely screwed.

edit: on ipad if I go to delete it, it warns me I'll have to re-rent it to watch it again. ffs.

FerranMG

so i currently have little to no free space, because i set itunes to just fill my phone with music, is that going to be a problem when the next ios update comes round this monday?

Sadly, yes.
I'd guess you'll need around 1 GB of free space to be able to download the update, based on how was in the last ones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so my iPhone 5s just died abruptly (will not boot out of recovery mode). have no idea why it happened, but it's bricked.

thing is, i don't want to buy an iPhone 6 with the 6S launching so soon. any suggestions, guys?

i live in london, uk btw.

grab a cheap lumia - 635 or something to tide you over and get the 5s fixed and sold, or sold for spares to put towards a 6s

Flandy

Hey guys should I wait for the 6s or just pick up the 6 Plus now? I am in desperate need of a new phone and I don't know if I can wait 3 months. I'd get the 6 Plus right now but the only thing that worries me is if it'll last for 2 and a half years with the single GB of ram.

Hey guys should I wait for the 6s or just pick up the 6 Plus now? I am in desperate need of a new phone and I don't know if I can wait 3 months. I'd get the 6 Plus right now but the only thing that worries me is if it'll last for 2 and a half years with the single GB of ram.

Why does the 6 Plus need to last you two and a half years?

I don't think it'd be too big of a problem, honestly. The 4S is still getting software support and that thing is running on 512MB of DDR2 RAM. They'll be supporting the 6 Plus for a long time

Flandy

Why does the 6 Plus need to last you two and a half years?

I don't think it'd be too big of a problem, honestly. The 4S is still getting software support and that thing is running on 512MB of DDR2 RAM. They'll be supporting the 6 Plus for a long time

lol I was just throwing a number out there to when I'd upgrade. Probably less than that :p

Know of any deals going around? AT&T here hoping to get a Plus with 64GB

lol I was just throwing a number out there to when I'd upgrade. Probably less than that :p

Know of any deals going around? AT&T here hoping to get a Plus with 64GB

Well AT&T doesn't do subsidized contracts anymore, so your only options are to do one of their Next plans (choose a time frame, pay the sales tax up front, and the cost of the phone is split up over X amount of months, either 20, 24, or 30) or to just buy the phone outright. A new 64GB 6+ is $750 plus whatever tax you have.

Of course your options will depend on where you were on your contract with your previous phone with AT&T

My 6 is completely shattered. Fell off my bed and it looks like its been run over by a truck. Ridiculous. I've had my 5's drop before from a higher distance but never this bad.

VoxPop

My 6 is completely shattered. Fell off my bed and it looks like its been run over by a truck. Ridiculous. I've had my 5's drop before from a higher distance but never this bad.

It's really a matter of how you drop it. I dropped my phone 3 feet onto concrete and only got a slight chip on the corner. I believe you can get the screen replaced for around $125 if you're still in your first year.

Ensirius

Any chance the 6S will have a better camera than the galaxy S6? I like the S6 but Android is terrible.
Rumors suggest the camera will be significantly improved on the 6s. I wonder what direction they will take the phone with the iPhone 7. I mean, for the 6 the change was obvious for a bigger screen. What's the obvious improvement they need to make to the phone with iPhone 7?

Massa

Hi iPhoneGAF. My sister dropped her 5 in the toilet and it's a goner. Anyone know how much Apple is paying for a broken iPhone 5 when you get a new one from them? Apple here will take it, but I'm travelling to the US next month and I'm wondering if they'll give me a better deal there.

Cheers.

Lashley

Really considering getting an iPhone 6 plus after my Galaxy S4 contract has ended.

Any downsides to not waiting on the new one?

I hope they increase the ram to 2GB and 32GB default storage. If not, I'll hold off to iphone 7 I guess.

Same. I think 2GB is a lock, 32GB base seems like something they'd save for iPhone 7. I know with all the stuff I use the cloud for and all the app thinning that 16GB is more viable now, but I'll never feel comfortable with that little of base storage

Lashley

Is 64gb necessary? Or could I make do with 16gb?

I'd use a few apps, have a few pictures but also utilize cloud services like Google Drive.

Top Bottom