• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Just reporting in- it's been almost a day since I have updated to 8.4, there was also an update to the tumble app which was suspect in my phone crashing. But I haven't had any random respring since updating.

I hope I don't jinx myself, but it's looking like I'll be free of any issues from here on out. Such a relief, and a huge load off my back.

Mobius 1

Is 64gb necessary? Or could I make do with 16gb?

I'd use a few apps, have a few pictures but also utilize cloud services like Google Drive.

The increase in picture quality taken by the cameras means you will stuff it with images before long. Try to get the 64GB, Apple was negligent in releasing a 16GB model.

Rumors suggest the camera will be significantly improved on the 6s. I wonder what direction they will take the phone with the iPhone 7. I mean, for the 6 the change was obvious for a bigger screen. What's the obvious improvement they need to make to the phone with iPhone 7?
Lowering the bezel size comes to mind. There's a good amount of space they could cut down and if they could possibly make the home button smaller there's even more room for them to trim. Pending that I can't think of much else expect maybe thickening out the phone a bit to add a bigger battery and also hide the camera bump.

Really considering getting an iPhone 6 plus after my Galaxy S4 contract has ended.

Any downsides to not waiting on the new one?
You should just wait it's only 2 months from now and you'll likely be paying the same price.

I'd expect the new one will have 2GB's of RAM which will be definitely be worth wild in its own right alongside whatever else they decide to change.

Kurita

Don't really know where I should ask so I'm sorry if it's not the thread for that.

I still have an iPhone 4S but afaik this issue affects every model. I just upgraded to iOS 8.4 to use Apple Music and notifications for a couple of apps like Messenger and Twitter simply stopped working. Looks like it's an iOS 8 problem, not just 8.4 (I was still on iOS 7 before the update and I had zero problem).
Anyone knows what I should do? Tried everything I found on the Internet and it still doesn't work...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Love my iPhone 6 plus. Bought a case for it, but is it true they can bend in your pocket? Case won't be delivered until next week.

lustrate

i recently noticed some screen discoloration on my 6+. any of you guys have an idea of what could have caused this?

here are some pics:

eaPCERjl.jpg

ZCWMU7Vl.jpg

hpVGrrNl.jpg

JDeluis

I recently got a regular 6, what cases and screen protectors do you guys recommend?

I always recommend the Spigen iPhone 6 Screen Protector. I use it on mine and my wife iPhone 6 plus and they are great. Come in a pack of 3.

As for case, that's more of a personal choice. Spigen Neo Hybrid are thin and look very nice, but offer minor protection. URBAN ARMOR GEAR Case for iPhone 6 offer better protection, but are more thicker than the Spigen, but way less than an Otterbox.

I started with the Spigen case, but once my son wanted to play with my phone more then occasionally I started using the UAG case.

Lashley

I always fuck up applying the screen protector and it bubbles

Mine came with a screen protector, so I'll just keep that on

Swag

So my boss needs me to help her with an issue on her iPhone, I think I found a solution but not sure if this will work.

She managed to lock her iCloud account but she doesn't remember what the password is, nor the security questions, nor the recovery e-mails, so her iPhone keeps popping up to insert her iCloud password every 2 seconds, if I put the phone into recovery mode, install a new firmware through iTunes will the phone request the old iCloud account and password during the initial setup or will it allow me to setup the phone as a new iPhone.

mrkgoo

So my boss needs me to help her with an issue on her iPhone, I think I found a solution but not sure if this will work.

She managed to lock her iCloud account but she doesn't remember what the password is, nor the security questions, nor the recovery e-mails, so her iPhone keeps popping up to insert her iCloud password every 2 seconds, if I put the phone into recovery mode, install a new firmware through iTunes will the phone request the old iCloud account and password during the initial setup or will it allow me to setup the phone as a new iPhone.

If she has Find My IPhone turned ON, then part of that is an activation lock. It is locked to that account even if you factory reset it through iTunes.

It's an anti-theft measure - wouldn't be a very good one if a thief could just erase the phone to bypass it.

The options are to reset the password by on apples website. One is by email. Not sure what you mean by "forgot the recovery email", as typically it will email a link to either the main address or recovery email - does she not access that regularly enough? Why give an email address you don't use if you're prone to forgetting password?

Also the whole point of security questions is that you don't forget the answers. You don't have to remember the questions.

So many people treat their Apple ID with no regard them get pissed off at apple when they forget it and then don't have a means to recover a new one.

One thing to try is not get her to try to remember her old password but to select a new one. Sometimes by doing that they inadvertently just come up with their old one because people tend to follow mental patterns in generating passwords.

Swag

If she has Find My IPhone turned ON, then part of that is an activation lock. It is locked to that account even if you factory reset it through iTunes.

The options are to reset the password by on apples website. One is by email. Not sure what you mean by "forgot the recovery email", as typically it will email a link to either the main address or recovery email - does she not access that regularly enough? Why give an email address you don't use if you're prone to forgetting password?

Also the whole point of security questions is that you don't forget the answers. You don't have to remember the questions.

So many people treat their Apple ID with no regard them get pissed off at apple when they forget it and then don't have a means to recover a new one.

One thing to try is not get her to try to remember her old password but to select a new one. Sometimes by doing that they inadvertently just come up with their old one because people tend to follow mental patterns in generating passwords.
I honestly think she either had someone else set it up or simply has tons of e-mail accounts for whatever reason, I tried to get her to go through the traditional methods (security answers / e-mail password change link) but she doesn't remember or have access to either e-mail accounts.

I'm just going to tell her she has to buy a new iPhone or to contact Apple support directly.

anyone's 6+ starting to have crappier battery life? It feels like the battery is draining at a faster rate than before but the difference is really noticeable.

anyone's 6+ starting to have crappier battery life? It feels like the battery is draining at a faster rate than before but the difference is really noticeable.

Mine and my girlfriends has been noticeably worse since 8.4 update.

Mine has been worse too since 8.4. Odd because I'm in the iOS beta, and none of the 8.4 betas seemed to affect battery life. Still not bad enough that I am running out during the day, and I'm sure some of it is that I have actually been using Apple Music more than I was using the old Music.app.

Lashley

Phone volume is really low whilst on a call to someone. Think it may be the protective sheet that comes with the phone.

I have a screen protector I could apply, but every single time I've ever applied one theres bubbles everywhere.

Any advice?

JDeluis

Phone volume is really low whilst on a call to someone. Think it may be the protective sheet that comes with the phone.

I have a screen protector I could apply, but every single time I've ever applied one theres bubbles everywhere.

Any advice?

Apply the screen protector in the bathroom. Turn on the hot water in the shower and let the bathroom steam up. This will remove dust from the air.

Ninja Dom

Mine and my girlfriends has been noticeably worse since 8.4 update.

Mine has been worse too since 8.4. Odd because I'm in the iOS beta, and none of the 8.4 betas seemed to affect battery life. Still not bad enough that I am running out during the day, and I'm sure some of it is that I have actually been using Apple Music more than I was using the old Music.app.

I'm on an iPhone 6 and my battery has got slightly better. And I use an Apple Watch. When I was on 8.3 I had really bad battery on my iPhone 6 after pairing my Watch but things are better now on 8.4, it's better.

ibu

I'm on an iPhone 6 and my battery has got slightly better. And I use an Apple Watch. When I was on 8.3 I had really bad battery on my iPhone 6 after pairing my Watch but things are better now on 8.4, it's better.

Since updating to the ios9 public beta, battery life has improved somewhat noticeably. I've been using mine since 8am this morning on and off browsing etc and watching a few short videos and it's now at 84% (time is now 13:33). Better for me, much better even with all the glitches and conflicts with other apps (namely Carrot Weather.

Lashley

If I'm in a steamy bathroom, will I still need to use a card and take my time to avoid bubbling?

Bought a texture glass protector, so will use that.

JDeluis

If I'm in a steamy bathroom, will I still need to use a card and take my time to avoid bubbling?

Bought a texture glass protector, so will use that.

The process will remain the same. Bubbling will always occur, but will wipe away more easily once you run the card through it. The steam helps in avoiding any dust to accumulate on the screen while applying the screen protector, so there won't be any bubbles caused by the dust that require you to peel off the protector from the phone and use tape to remove them.

I peel the top half of the plastic from the screen protector and align that first. Once the speaker is align, I remove the remaining plastic from the screen protector.

So, I just realized the speaker on my 6 is blown. Sounds tinny and quiet. Not sure if it's water damage or whatever. Would the Apple store do this repair? Since I'm in NYC and I'm likely getting a 6s in a few months, should I just find a 3rd party repair shop to do it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how much is the 'integrated experience' hampered if you don't have a mac? I use a windows PC and have an android phone, but might switch to a 6S or whatever comes out this year primarily for wifi calling as I have such shitty service in my house.

But things like continuity, imessage etc - do they really need a mac to get the best of them? I like using pushbullet with my android phone which lets me read and reply to text messages etc on my computer, while my phone is charging or away from me.

how much is the 'integrated experience' hampered if you don't have a mac? I use a windows PC and have an android phone, but might switch to a 6S or whatever comes out this year primarily for wifi calling as I have such shitty service in my house.

But things like continuity, imessage etc - do they really need a mac to get the best of them? I like using pushbullet with my android phone which lets me read and reply to text messages etc on my computer, while my phone is charging or away from me.

what carrier are you on that doesn't have Wifi calling on Android?

Daria

this is going to be my second replacement 6 because of a loose screen. this is highly annoying and I'm still upset I got stuck on Sprint with this phone, service is complete shit

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
this is going to be my second replacement 6 because of a loose screen. this is highly annoying and I'm still upset I got stuck on Sprint with this phone, service is complete shit

The bottom half (mostly right side) of the front panel of my 6 is slightly loose, has been since I got it last year at launch. You can kind of press down on it and hear it "click". Phone works just fine though so I've kept with it. It will be replaced as soon as the 6S is in the vicinity.

faridmon

Guys, I need help regarding an Ipod Touch I have bought which also happens to be my very first IOS device.
When I try to download free apps, it would start by appearing to download (a circle sign appears once I touch get app) but t ijust freezes and never downloads anything. When I go to my screen tiles, you could see the app I have downloaded being there, except it says ''starting'' or was it ''loading''. I have ever used an IOS, or rather, I am technologically inept. so any help would be appreciated.

Ninja Dom

vodafone UK. EE seem to be the only operator in the UK with wifi calling. they do offer it on a couple of android phones, but only if bought through them. I bought my handset sim free

Vodafone UK has been utterly atrocious in my experience (and I worked for them for 7 years).

Reception was so bad in my home that I had to conduct a telephone interview in my local park gardens. Owning an iPhone 5 on Vodafone for 2012/2013 was especially the worst.

I switched over to an O2 sim only last August and everything's been tickety-boo. Used it in an iPhone 6 with no problems although I do feel their 3G internet speeds have slowed down over the year.

There's no Wi-Fi calling on O2. They do have Visual Voicemail though.

Ninja Dom

Guys, I need help regarding an Ipod Touch I have bought which also happens to be my very first IOS device.
When I try to download free apps, it would start by appearing to download (a circle sign appears once I touch get app) but t ijust freezes and never downloads anything. When I go to my screen tiles, you could see the app I have downloaded being there, except it says ''starting'' or was it ''loading''. I have ever used an IOS, or rather, I am technologically inept. so any help would be appreciated.

What iOS version are you on?
When you go into the App Store are you signed in at the bottom of the App Store page?
When you go to Settings, App Store are you signed in?
Have you restarted your device?
You have wifi connected and working?

Daria

The bottom half (mostly right side) of the front panel of my 6 is slightly loose, has been since I got it last year at launch. You can kind of press down on it and hear it "click". Phone works just fine though so I've kept with it. It will be replaced as soon as the 6S is in the vicinity.

you don't want to go to the Apple Store and get it replaced? I mean they had no questions for me when I swapped mine, he saw the issue and said ok I'll be right back.

Ragus

Banned
My 6 has a creaking problem on the bottom right corner. I unscrewed it, opened it, tried to see if maybe something wasn't right on the inside, but nope.

My question - did opening my 6 left my without warranty?

So not a iphone 6 problem but iphone 5s problem. My phone is going straight to voicemail DND is not on, ive reset tons of things and still nothing. I can make calls but cant get them.

So not a iphone 6 problem but iphone 5s problem. My phone is going straight to voicemail DND is not on, ive reset tons of things and still nothing. I can make calls but cant get them.
try putting your sim card into another phone and see if it happens. If it doesn't it's your phone that's the problem, if it does then it's a carrier problem.

Ape

Banned
Does anyone here have the mophie case? If so does it make noises when switched to green if you hold it to your ear? Mine does and I sort of want to know if it's normal or not. I don't want my battery to be defective.

bojie1986

Guys i need some advice, i am planning to get my first iphone and the 5s seems perfect for me, i like its design and size but also considering the iphone 6. Is there really much improvement over the 5s? thanks in advance!

DarkFlow

Banned
Guys i need some advice, i am planning to get my first iphone and the 5s seems perfect for me, i like its design and size but also considering the iphone 6. Is there really much improvement over the 5s? thanks in advance!

Just get a 6 if you don't want the latest since the 6s comes out in a month.

Aurongel

I need huge advice on unlocked iphones. Which model should I be looking to buy if I intend to use it on Verizon while in the US but unlocked in another country for use on any carrier I want? I've been reading up on it for the past 20 minutes and I'm still unsure of what works and what doesn't, there's a ton of conflicting information online about it.

Top Bottom