• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

UFO

Banned
I'm excited to see what this heptic touch is all about. Just got a galaxy s6 but might sell it and get a 6s plus.

kris.

Banned
Soooo I woke up this morning and my phone was fully charged. Left about 20 minutes later, 96%. 2 hours of Netflix later, and I get the notification that it's at 20%. I watch a lot of Netflix at work on my phone and it always lasts until the end of the day, so this struck me as incredibly odd. I plugged it into my charger at work and it immediately jumped ~10%. Is something wrong with my battery and do I need to take it to an Apple Store?

Curufinwe

Is $550 a reasonable price for a 16 GB iPhone 6 at this point? My wife is sick of her 4S and is on Virgin Mobile because the monthly plan is only $30. But you have to pay what I assume is full price for a 6.

Is $550 a reasonable price for a 16 GB iPhone 6 at this point? My wife is sick of her 4S and is on Virgin Mobile because the monthly plan is only $30. But you have to pay what I assume is full price for a 6.
I honestly wouldn't be paying close to retail on an iPhone 6 when the 6S would cost close to the same and is only a month away.

Lexxism

No. We are just a month away for the next iphone. Tell her to wait and the prices for iphone 6 will drop.

VIrgin Mobile just got the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus a few weeks ago.

they probably won't get the new ones until next year.

full retail is $649, $550 is ~$100 off.

Fuckin a. I love iOS and the iPhone but I cannot believe they STILL have not permanently fixed the iMessage bug where you can't type in landscape mode. Drives me nuts.

mrkgoo

Apple announces a camera replacement program for the iPhone 6+. Some units sold between September and January may have an iSight camera that fails, and is unable to focus.

The fix is to replace the camera, covered for up to 3 years from date of purchase, if yours is one of the potentially affected serial numbers.

dream

Have Apple's services been acting weird for anyone else lately? I haven't been able to connect to Game Center, download new music, or buy anything from the App Store for the past few days. I can tell when it happens because my App Store updates tab looks like this:

Z8VJlUg.png

This has been happening on my iPhone, and two of my iPads--all are on 8.4.1. Rebooting the devices fixes the problem for a little bit, but it inevitably happens again after a while.

inner-G

Banned
Ok, I have a 6+ that is eligible for camera replacement.

Thing is, the photos it takes are crisp and clear.

Should I get it replaced anyway? Like if its ok now could it go bad later? Or since I already have a 'good' one should I just stick with it and skip the replacement?

Sifl

Anyone had a problem with voice control turning on automatically? Also my music started randomly playing for the past month, so I deleted all of it and when I checked on iTunes it said I had to repurchase all of it. None of my music was available for download, only my videos.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I have a 6+ that is eligible for camera replacement.

Thing is, the photos it takes are crisp and clear.

Should I get it replaced anyway? Like if its ok now could it go bad later? Or since I already have a 'good' one should I just stick with it and skip the replacement?
I think I read on their page that you're eligible for the next three years or something.

So right from day 1 my iPhone had a dead pixel light which I've ignored for the most part, but it seems my iPhone has now fallen to the dreaded bend (regular 6) despite being kept in a case most if it's life. Needless to say these two flaws have really grated me after the amount I paid and being a less than a year old. Is it worth taking it to apple to see what they say? Or should I cut my losses and sell up while it still has value before the 6S is announced/released?

FerranMG

So right from day 1 my iPhone had a dead pixel light which I've ignored for the most part, but it seems my iPhone has now fallen to the dreaded bend (regular 6) despite being kept in a case most if it's life. Needless to say these two flaws have really grated me after the amount I paid and being a less than a year old. Is it worth taking it to apple to see what the pay say? Or should I cut my losses and sell up while it still has value before the 6S is announced/released?

The phone is less than a year old, so go to an Apple Store near you, explain all the faults the phone has, and you might go out with a new unit.

Kallor

So I'm thinking of jumping off the Note 3 for an Iphone 6s, Will the transfer of all my stuff (music, books, info) be pretty brutal or fairly easy these days? Its been some years but dealing with Itunes and stuff was horrible.

So, it's pretty much hands down that the space gray is the sexiest model of the 6, right? I always preferred white/silver until 6, and now I'm seriously considering space gray.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Gold has actually been scientifically proven to be the best color.

The phone is less than a year old, so go to an Apple Store near you, explain all the faults the phone has, and you might go out with a new unit.

Going to make a trip there on Monday so I'm hoping they'll be able to help me out in some way. Is there anything I need to do/bring? Backup of the phone, delete data off of it? Bring receipts etc.?

Dany

Banned
When I switched carriers, I moved from white to black iphone 6.

I liked my white more because of how much it stood out.

FerranMG

Going to make a trip there on Monday so I'm hoping they'll be able to help me out in some way. Is there anything I need to do/bring? Backup of the phone, delete data off of it? Bring receipts etc.?

Do backup your phone, yes.
If they were to exchange it for a new unit, they'd delete the data from yours right in front of you, so I say don't bother with it at the moment.
And bringing the receipts can do no harm, even though the phone is obviously less than one year old.
Good luck!

TxdoHawk

T-mobile people: What do I need to know about upgrading to a 6S at launch? It is going to just be a matter of being signed in on t-mobile.com when pre-orders go live and going through the usual upgrade process? Or do they do something else?

Edit: Okay, so I guess they launched some kind of special pre-reg page for the 6, guess I will have to keep an eye out for that then.

can't find the iOS thread so ill ask here.

my iPhone 5s battery keeps shutting down at 20% instead of 3 or 4% like it used to.
seems i need to recalibrate like I've done in the past with older iPhones like the 3gs and 4s.

forget the procedure though...

anyone know?

Husker86

can't find the iOS thread so ill ask here.

my iPhone 5s battery keeps shutting down at 20% instead of 3 or 4% like it used to.
seems i need to recalibrate like I've done in the past with older iPhones like the 3gs and 4s.

forget the procedure though...

anyone know?
Nothing special, just charge it to full and let it run down to under 5-10%, then charge it to full again. But it seems like you can't do that. Might not just be a simple calibration issue.

jts

...hate me...
Amping up for the 6s+ coming from a 5. A bit afraid though, almost tempted to get a 6+ case to test and get used to the size.

Do backup your phone, yes.
If they were to exchange it for a new unit, they'd delete the data from yours right in front of you, so I say don't bother with it at the moment.
And bringing the receipts can do no harm, even though the phone is obviously less than one year old.
Good luck!

Ok, thanks, and is that the standardd backup feature in iTunes? As long as all my photos and texts/imessages come back to the phone then that's all I care about losing. I'm going today so hopefully they'll be able to sort it out!

FerranMG

Ok, thanks, and is that the standardd backup feature in iTunes? As long as all my photos and texts/imessages come back to the phone then that's all I care about losing. I'm going today so hopefully they'll be able to sort it out!

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that if you backup the phone to your computer, both photos and messages will be preserved if you restore.
If you do an iCloud backup, the photos might not be all restored.

I'm not sure because I don't use iMessage and I backup my photos to Flickr, so I really don't pay much attention to this.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that if you backup the phone to your computer, both photos and messages will be preserved if you restore.
If you do an iCloud backup, the photos might not be all restored.

I'm not sure because I don't use iMessage and I backup my photos to Flickr, so I really don't pay much attention to this.

I realised I've got Photo Stream synced up with my Mac anyway so have multiple copies of pretty much all my photos, so no worries there.

Anyway, I spoke to the guys at the Apple Store and they took a look at the phone and immediately said I was eligible to get a new unit. They also said the front camera was misaligned, so they gave me an appointment to go there next Thursday and pick up the new phone. I'm wondering though seeing as this will be the day after the 6S is presumably announced if I'll be able to ask them if I can pay the difference and upgrade?
Or failing that, how do they give out replacement units, are they sealed in the box like when you get them new? Cus if they are I could theoretically sell that 6 in it's box for a decent price and then just get the 6S when it comes out

Questions about Airdrop.
I am using my Macbook Air OS X 10.9.5
my iPhone 6 is using 8.4
I cant seem to find my laptop on my iphone or my iphone on the laptop for airdrop.

Is there a know issue regarding airdrop?

GWX

Questions about Airdrop.
I am using my Macbook Air OS X 10.9.5
my iPhone 6 is using 8.4
I cant seem to find my laptop on my iphone or my iphone on the laptop for airdrop.

Is there a know issue regarding airdrop?

AirDrop between iPhones and Macs needs OS X Yosemite (10.10.x).

funkypie

Banned
I've had my iPhone 6 just over 6 months now and the battery has started draining faster. Not sure if the latest update has anything to do with it, anyone else?

Ninja Dom

I've had my iPhone 6 just over 6 months now and the battery has started draining faster. Not sure if the latest update has anything to do with it, anyone else?

iOS 8.4 absolutely fucked my girlfriend's iPhone 5S. She would lose 75% battery overnight, the iPhone just on a bedside table, switched on but not being used. Screen off. Updated to 8.4.1 and things were no better.

She went to an Apple Store and they performed a diagnostic which said the battery was okay - even though she had to charge it almost 4 times a day. She insisted they change the battery (a $79 charge as the 5S is over a year old). They took it in to change the battery except they couldn't change it. Not sure what the reason was. BUT they gave my girlfriend a brand new (non-refurbished) 5S instead and the battery has been perfect on 8.4.1.

As for me, I'm on an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.4.1 and battery is just fine, even with an Apple Watch synced to it all day. Make an appointment with Apple if you think there's a real problem.

mrkgoo

iOS 8.4 absolutely fucked my girlfriend's iPhone 5S. She would lose 75% battery overnight, the iPhone just on a bedside table, switched on but not being used. Screen off. Updated to 8.4.1 and things were no better.

She went to an Apple Store and they performed a diagnostic which said the battery was okay - even though she had to charge it almost 4 times a day. She insisted they change the battery (a $79 charge as the 5S is over a year old). They took it in to change the battery except they couldn't change it. Not sure what the reason was. BUT they gave my girlfriend a brand new (non-refurbished) 5S instead and the battery has been perfect on 8.4.1.

As for me, I'm on an iPhone 6 on iOS 8.4.1 and battery is just fine, even with an Apple Watch synced to it all day. Make an appointment with Apple if you think there's a real problem.

Was the replacement 5S a retail boxed unit? If not then it may be refurbished. Doesn't matter though as it's good as new. It's possible they didn't have any replacement models on hand so just did a retail box swap.

Here's how the battery is: if battery is draining rapidly, it could be a number of things including hardware such as faulty or consumed battery, charging system failure or it could be software such as bad or corrupted OS implementation. Could even be user "error" with some third party app or some settings just draining the phone.

A LOT of people complain about battery issues when it's the latter. They have weak reception (also possibly hardware too), which drains the battery faster, or have a bunch of location features on that drain it rapidly. In these situations a restore or reset of the settings can resolve the issue. Of course a replacement phone would fix this too because you're getting a new install, and many people feel vindicated that a replacement phone was necessary when it wasn't.

Apple Store genius' have to eliminate software problems hence often a suggestion of restoring. They will run a diagnostic which involves looking at the battery health and hardware and if it reports back that the battery is within tolerances for the phones age, it will pass.

For example I have a 3 year old phone that needs charging a couple times if I use it moderately but that's about right for the age of the phone.

If she INSISTED on changing the battery (which may have not been necessary), apple will do it of course, for a charge. However the battery replacement process can actually "fail" (I won't get into the details of how), in which case the phone gets replaced.

Of course a replacement phone will most likely not have the issues of the first phone as it will be factory reset and have as new hardware.

But you have to understand that they have to go through the process to eliminate other possibilities first.

I think there was a reasonable chance that the original 5S was probably fine and the update just had some weird settings or something. The only to know though is a full restore to blank using iTunes, as that re downloads a new copy of the OS and applies it.

X-Frame

I'm looking for advice: What is the "best" or cheapest method of getting new iPhones in the long run?

My situation is that I upgraded to the iPhone 6+ last October or November with AT&T, so I signed a 2 year contract. I have grandfathered Unlimited data which I want to hold onto as long as possible, but keep my overall costs down.

Important: I don't mind paying more up-front if it saves me costs in the long run.

Therefore, is the best/cheapest method for me to simply buy new iPhone's completely outright from here on? No more upgrading through AT&T? Ideally I don't want to keep signing 2 year contracts but I also don't ever want to get rid of my grandfathered Unlimited data plan if I could help it.

Thank you!

Vyer

I'm looking for advice: What is the "best" or cheapest method of getting new iPhones in the long run?

My situation is that I upgraded to the iPhone 6+ last October or November with AT&T, so I signed a 2 year contract. I have grandfathered Unlimited data which I want to hold onto as long as possible, but keep my overall costs down.

Important: I don't mind paying more up-front if it saves me costs in the long run.

Therefore, is the best/cheapest method for me to simply buy new iPhone's completely outright from here on? No more upgrading through AT&T? Ideally I don't want to keep signing 2 year contracts but I also don't ever want to get rid of my grandfathered Unlimited data plan if I could help it.

Thank you!

I think probably your options are limited if you want to stay with unlimited. I know for my case, with a family plan, AT&T had devalued my grandfathered plan enough, and offered enough value with their new plans, that I finally let it go. I looked at my actual data usage and realized the best option was somewhere else. I can still buy outright, either now or several months into the NEXT plan, without contracts.

As it stands, if you want to stay grandfathered, you probably are correct in just buying it outright. But be aware that even the two year contracts are starting to disappear as options altogether.

X-Frame

I think probably your options are limited if you want to stay with unlimited. I know for my case, with a family plan, AT&T had devalued my grandfathered plan enough, and offered enough value with their new plans, that I finally let it go. I looked at my actual data usage and realized the best option was somewhere else. I can still buy outright, either now or several months into the NEXT plan, without contracts.

As it stands, if you want to stay grandfathered, you probably are correct in just buying it outright. But be aware that even the two year contracts are starting to disappear as options altogether.

Thanks. Well for me my grandfathered Unlimited data plan is $29.99 a month still, which is insane considering it is that much for a 3GB plan. If I wanted 5GB then that's $50 a month IIRC. Therefore it is much cheaper for me to keep this plus I basically have a 5GB plan now before they throttle me.

ryan299

I'm trying to find an old text I sent. I search it in spotlight and it comes up, when I click it to read the full message, the app opens but it won't bring my to the message. Any idea why and how to fix it?

mrkgoo

I'm trying to find an old text I sent. I search it in spotlight and it comes up, when I click it to read the full message, the app opens but it won't bring my to the message. Any idea why and how to fix it?

That's just how it is. For the longest time iOS users have wondered why even have a searchable message history of it doesn't take you right there.

B-Dex

So iTunes won't let me stream any of my music anymore that I've purchased. I have to go to the iTunes Store and download it to my device for it to play.

If they are gating it behind Apple music now they can fuck right off. It gives an error about not having a subscription and to renew? But I never had one in the first place.

JoeLT

Hey guys,

With the announcement of the 6s and 6s+ fast approaching I need to decide which to get (coming from a 4s) and one of the biggest deciding factors is....how it fits in my pocket. I wear a lot of skinny/slim fit jeans and am a little worried the 6s+ would be a bit too cumbersome in my pockets. I'm 6ft and 147lbs, anyone else with a 6+ able to give some thoughts as to how it might go?

Lexxism

Do you know someone who has iphone 6 and 6+? Maybe try to borrow their phone and try it on your pocket to see what will fit in you.

Top Bottom