• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| The Spirit of the Ultimate Warrior Will Run Forever!

Sephzilla

Honestly the WrestleMania stages are getting too big. I mean, look at how much that sign is obstructing the view from otherwise perfectly fine seats that could be sold.

Vylash

Alberto no. no! NO! NOOOOOO!!!

ifOBMUT548JS4.gif

these Pride videos have pretty good quality. no pre-2000 events but fuck that.

Disgusting sneak attack on MMAlberto

Ibushi's pretty fantastic, I really enjoy his matches.

Low Ki is great in the ring but it always boils down to this:
DSTxM10.jpg

Yeah, he was great and I remember him from his Caval days. I kinda felt like he could have tried to sell a couple of those moves better. I didn't like how he got suplexed and immediately did some move and went for the pin.

Speaking of mainstream appeal:

From Rolling Stone

Daniel Bryan's House of Yes!
How an eco-minded vegan grappler became pro wrestling's hottest star

By Kenny Herzog
April 2, 2014 9:55 AM ET

Backstage at Brooklyn's Barclays Center, five hours before a late March taping of WWE's Monday Night Raw, Daniel Bryan, the unlikeliest of wrestling heroes, settles into a chair in guest host Arnold Schwarzenegger's dressing room. The hulking ex-Governator, who has yet to arrive, possesses the physique one expects to see milling about these premises. Ditto for 6'5", 235-pound, current WWE World Heavyweight Champion Randy Orton, who's chatting up female competitor and E! Total Divas star Nikki Bella down the hall. Bryan, by contrast is a mere 5'8", weighs less than 200 pounds and − with his shaggy shoulder-length hair, rustic beard, flannel button-down and eco-friendly Toms shoes − looks like, say, a member of Band of Horses who showed up at the arena on the wrong day.

But make no mistake, 2014 is Bryan's time. The 32-year-old Aberdeen, Washington native, who's engaged to WWE starlet Brie Bella (also currently seen on Total Divas) and who will take on Triple H at Wrestlemania XXX on April 6th, has engineered a connection with wrestling fans unseen since Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson in the late Nineties. Except where Johnson boasted about delivering smackdowns, or his contemporary, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, bragged of opening cans of whoop-ass, Bryan's popularity has spawned a much simpler, cuddlier catchphrase: "Yes!"

Ithil

That was supposed to be part of the push behind his contract. That he could pretty much skip nxt.

"Pretty much", meaning he's still going there. It would probably be for like 2 months at most and just training in the Performance Center and maybe at some NXT live events.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
None of us actually know if Devitt is skipping all of NXT, some of NXT, or none of NXT. Or even if he's signed since there's been no formal announcement. I'm just a wrestling fan, I have no inside knowledge.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"Pretty much", meaning he's still going there. It would probably be for like 2 months at most and just training in the Performance Center and maybe at some NXT live events.

Nowhere in paul's interview does he say that the next guy will be showing up next week or anything like that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's amazing. Seriously though, who's the guy in the casket playing DDP?

Also, DDP said he'd come back for a one-off feud with Randy Orton under the right circumstances.

That's Chris Kanyon, the man we're all mourning you son of a bitch!
isbYmTuzBbVNT.gif

Please watch Stro's video of 10 minutes of Kanyon Cutters in repentance.

Don't know much about Devitt outside of those awesome pics and that he's Irish. He's gonna be the next Hornswaggle* guy fella.

*Hornswaggle is basically a movie star now. He had a critically acclaimed performance in the latest Muppets movie where he sang AND danced. He also got to touch Tina Fey.

Hornswoggle touched Tina Fey?

I never thought I'd be jealous of that little shit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The more important question - When was the last time someone's weight actually mattered at all in WWE?

It should always matter.

Was there a time they pushed someone <200 lbs? I don't think there is, and Gillberg doesn't count. Nor do Divas of course.

Kaval? I don't know.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wrestling is still wrestling. You have to book to peoples strengths. And no matter how much the internet hates it, a little guy 'dominating' a big guy is terrible. It just destroys all disbelief no matter how 'trained' the little guy is.

Daniel Bryan destroying a 'monster' would just be stupid. It'd shatter any sense of kayfabe.

Sokantish

It should always matter.

Was there a time they pushed someone <200 lbs? I don't think there is, and Gillberg doesn't count. Nor do Divas of course.

Kaval? I don't know.

They are breaking new ground, you should be happy. I thought you were the type of person that wants equality for all people! Don't tell me you're looking down a person for being different than the majority...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They are breaking new ground, you should be happy. I thought you were the type of person that wants equality for all people! Don't tell me you're looking down a person for being different than the majority...

I want little people GONE. You get an F on your Muscle Grade, Sok. Don't be offended though, you can change it if you want.

kiguel182

Wrestling is still wrestling. You have to book to peoples strengths. And no matter how much the internet hates it, a little guy 'dominating' a big guy is terrible. It just destroys all disbelief no matter how 'trained' the little guy is.

Daniel Bryan destroying a 'monster' would just be stupid. It'd shatter any sense of kayfabe.

Well, they aren't forced to make those feuds.

But I do agree with you, I hated the whole Bryan vs Big Show vs Henry thing. It was actually my first time seeing Bryan and I didn't like it one bit. But guys like Bryan don't look out of place with guys like Cena, they just can't do it with monsters.

Then I watched an ROH match between him and Punk and I changed my mind lol

strobogo

Banned
10 pounds makes a lot of visual difference on someone 5'8 and under. If someone Bryan's size were to gain or drop 10 pounds in a month, it'd seem like a lot more. That's a benefit/detriment to being short. You pack on 10 pounds of muscle and you look FUCKING SWOLL. But you gain 10 pounds of flab and general weight and you look like a real sack of shit. But then you drop 10 and everyone thinks you lost a lot of weight.

I'm going to have to do another PPV with a Vince match today and get some new Vince gifs.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
10 pounds makes a lot of visual difference on someone 5'8 and under. If someone Bryan's size were to gain or drop 10 pounds in a month, it'd seem like a lot more. That's a benefit/detriment to being short. You pack on 10 pounds of muscle and you look FUCKING SWOLL. But you gain 10 pounds of flab and general weight and you look like a real sack of shit. But then you drop 10 and everyone thinks you lost a lot of weight.

I'm going to have to do another PPV with a Vince match today and get some new Vince gifs.

Music to my ears. 2002? 2003? Vince McMahon and Shane vs HBK and Jesus? Promo package should be tasty.

strobogo

Banned
Idk which one. Maybe the one with Vince vs Gowen. Or buried alive vs Taker? Vince and Shane vs HBK and God? One of the DX matches?

Top Bottom