• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Archives PS4 |OT|Winners Don’t Use Save States

Rymuth

How's it been folks? I'm proud to announce our first update since this thread got made
26517132571_30dab599af.jpg
Kid’s Horehore Daisakusen is an action game that was released by Nichibutsu in 1987. Kid, who has been drawn into the space-time labyrinth from the 23rd century, fights to escape from the enemy in order to return to the present day. Players defeat enemies by using items and traps.

p.s: If there any improvements you wish to see in the OP, let me know. I know it might be annoying on IPad because of the trailers.

Rymuth

As per Golden Week Sale (4/26 - 5/2)

Double Dragon
Karate Champ
Renegade

are all $4.79

Edit: Those are PS+ prices by the way.

T-0800

- Darius
- Elevator Action
- Flak Attack
- Front Line
- Gradius II
- Kid's Horehore Daisakusen
- Kiki Kaikai
- The Ninja Warriors
- Soldier Girl Amazon
- Star Force
- Wonder Boy
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Wonder Boy is coming? Day 1.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Super wishful thinking but do you guys know if PS3 sticks work on any of these and Namco's titles (HA! Right...)?
Ms. Pac-Man with the DS4 is basically unplayable for me :(
I also only have one friend on my list with the game so if you guys want to add me for some Retro GAF leaderboards action (also Metal Slug, Jamestown and so on) send a friend request (say who you are on GAF), my PSN handle is on my GAF Profile's page.

- Darius
- Elevator Action
- Flak Attack
- Front Line
- Gradius II
- Kid's Horehore Daisakusen
- Kiki Kaikai
- The Ninja Warriors
- Soldier Girl Amazon
- Star Force
- Wonder Boy
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Any date for Kiki and Wonderboy 1? EU but willing to go JPN if they're out already.

gwailo

Banned
No release dates AFAIK. There hasn't been an Arcade Archive released in about 6 weeks so it's about time for one.

yyr

I also would love to see bundles, if for no other reason than a lower price per game. I love a lot of these games, but after so many great collections--recall the godly Taito Legends collections on PS2 and Xbox OG!--it's so hard to justify paying more than $5 for a single emulated game from the 1980s, especially considering that most of them are available on the aforementioned collections.

Super wishful thinking but do you guys know if PS3 sticks work on any of these and Namco's titles (HA! Right...)?
Ms. Pac-Man with the DS4 is basically unplayable for me :(

If you want a joystick, don't want to spend a lot, and don't mind something small (or would prefer something small!) I definitely recommend the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4. Feels better than a controller for games such as these, won't take up a ton of space, and at least here in the US, it's only $40...way cheaper than the "real" arcade-grade sticks at $150+. I own one myself and love it.

Interesting suggestion about the stick. I'd never seen that. Might see if I could snag one is those, especially since I have a PS3 hooked up right next to my PS4.

DeadTrees

Is MX5000 any good? Never heard of it.

I remember this one--got sucked into it because the music in the "final" level was the best 1980s cheese. It's one of those oldie shooters where if you die even once deep into a playthrough, you might as well just start the whole thing over. The eight people who actually attempt to play it will probably croak about halfway through from the no-warning instant death lightning strikes, and subsequently kick a hole in their monitor.

gwailo

Banned
The way the game does powerups is what killed me. Bascially, you have lasers to hit air targets and bombs to hit ground targets. The more targets you kill, a meter will rise and when it's full, an icon will drop to powerup that weapon. The issue is that it takes forever to build up the meter and if you do get the powerup, it goes away after you die. SO if you die right before a boss, you're pretty much screwed because it's impossible to build the meter back up enough.

I do like the graphics and sound though, there's some fun cheeseball 80s digitized voice in it.

Dash Kappei

Just want to tell trophy hunters that Ms. Pac-Maj (and possibly Pac-man/Dig Dug too? Anybody knows?) is the easiest Platinum ever and a GREAT version of the game, possibly the best I've ever seen (too bad there's so few backgrounds).
I wish Namco used Skullgirls' driver to allow ps3 sticks to work, cause shit's hard af with the poor DS4.

Still, if you want a leaderboards friend you can shoot me a request, my psn id is on my profile here.

If you want a joystick, don't want to spend a lot, and don't mind something small (or would prefer something small!) I definitely recommend the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4. Feels better than a controller for games such as these, won't take up a ton of space, and at least here in the US, it's only $40...way cheaper than the "real" arcade-grade sticks at $150+. I own one myself and love it.

Thanks man! I had seen the Mini but I don't think that's the solution for me, I know I wouldn't find it comfortable the way you're supposed to hold it... I mean, I have so much crap in storage between controllers and last-gen sticks and I know from experience that anything which could make me think even once that I've lost a life which I could've saved with a better stick is gonna be wasted money and pissing me off after a week of use, lol

yyr

Isnt arcade contra worse than new contra?

The thing that really made me wonder about arcade Contra is...for a game that has more horizontally-scrolling segments than vertically-scrolling segments, why is the monitor oriented vertically?

gwailo

Banned
I think most of Konami's games at that time were vertically scrolling shooters so it probably made it easier to manufacture and/or swap out for arcade operators.

Just want to tell trophy hunters that Ms. Pac-Maj (and possibly Pac-man/Dig Dug too? Anybody knows?) is the easiest Platinum ever and a GREAT version of the game, possibly the best I've ever seen (too bad there's so few backgrounds).
I wish Namco used Skullgirls' driver to allow ps3 sticks to work, cause shit's hard af with the poor DS4.

Still, if you want a leaderboards friend you can shoot me a request, my psn id is on my profile here.

Interesting. What makes it such a good version? I'm a pretty big Pac fan so I might bite. I just own lots of other versions of the game.

The thing that really made me wonder about arcade Contra is...for a game that has more horizontally-scrolling segments than vertically-scrolling segments, why is the monitor oriented vertically?

Probably had a bulk of cabinets made for vertical play at the time. Or the game was originally meant to feature the 3d levels more prominently.

Isn't ninja warriors a 3 monitor game? Or is there a 1 monitor version too?

It's a 3 monitor game only. Which is perfect for a 16:9 ratio I would think. I'm really looking forward to it even though it's not the best of games. It's got one of my favorite Zuntata soundtracks.

Piccoro

Isnt the nes ver better tho?

Probably but Konami never releases the NES version for some reason. Every other Contra game is out on the Wii U Virtual Console, except that one.
So we'll just have to be glad we can play the arcade version...

Dash Kappei

I bought the PS4 version of Ms. Pac and I agree it's a really great version. But ... the DS4 is not a great controller for it.

Yes and yes.
I really need a PS4 native arcade stick but it pisses me off considering my PS360 sticks are still great. Glad you're enjoying the port tho.

Jucksalbe

Banned
A couple of the games are on sale on the EU PSN for two weeks (for €3.99).

Bought Double Dragon in the sale. I never played the original arcade version, did that have that much slowdown? Not sure if it's just a faithful emulation or something going a bit wrong.

T-0800

A couple of the games are on sale on the EU PSN for two weeks (for €3.99).

Bought Double Dragon in the sale. I never played the original arcade version, did that have that much slowdown? Not sure if it's just a faithful emulation or something going a bit wrong.

That's normal.

Top Bottom