• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are single women over 30 screwed in dating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

There's no such thing.

If you have to use some fictitious idea of "leagues", then you've got other issues I'm afraid.

There absolutely is such a thing. People tend to marry those who are from similar economic or social backgrounds, and that corresponds to similar levels of attractiveness. There are obviously subjective factors at play, and other variables, and whether you hew to it or let it influence you is another matter. But it exists.

Some are just way too picky. Same applies to some men. However I think men are easier pleased.

With such a big population everywhere people should have trouble to find a partner.

That's the problem. More choices means more options and people become pickier, but it's the paradox of choice—we can be worse off with thousands of potential partners than we would be with a few dozen or fewer.

koji kabuto

I guess so, but it comes down to how serious you take it. Online dating apps are already full of pretty flaky people who aren't serious at all in a lot of cases. Tinder is to me, a hook up app despite people saying otherwise.

Sitting back and letting everyone contact means you'll be combing through a lot of rubbish to find someone worthwhile to talk to and potentially date. I've talked to female friends who have taken the initiative and found men that appeal more to them VS letting all guys contact you.

As some guys will contact everybody even some very unattractive women if it meant a chance of sex.

That's the main reason I don't touch online dating.
Alot of guys copy/paste the same messages and send it to every female profile they see in hope to increase their chances of having sex and here i'm putting thoughts in what I want to say while competing against Spam-bot like behavior for that girl attention.nope not gonna happen.

I have zero intention of having children. Unfortunately a lot of women above a certain age do, and I'm honestly not wasting either of our time going on dates or anything like that.

women above 30 screwed? not really

Try be an unemployed/poor man above 30. Then you are the scum of the dating world.
This guy knows what's up.

It's an uphill battle for some of us, who still live at home, can't or don't work or have crappy jobs, and are getting older. But I'll keep trying.

I'm on disability, so money can't be a big factor. And I don't really want kids.

If you live in a rural town, you're going to be SOL in a few years.

Where I live and on the dating sites I frequent, 95% of women have children.

Thankfully not rural now and will be a bigger city when I'm done training and actually making good money.

Again, can not ever see myself compromising on this. Other things:

Hard deal breakers:
- Has children
- Addicted to hard drugs
- Morbidly obese

Strong wants:
- College-educated or doing something with her life she's passionate about
- No smoking

Don't feel like that's too much to ask given the position I'm coming from. Physician, in good shape, no hard drugs, no smoking, no kids.

I lol'd last time I was on tinder. "Please don't talk to me if you're under six foot". I feel like there's being picky, and then there's having reasonable wants. I do think sometimes it does come down to someone being too choosy for the majority of their best years, and then realizing too late that perhaps they were too picky.

Amikami

Banned
This thread is making me feel all kinds of shit. I'm black, chubby, not the most attractive, ultimately going towards a MA, and shy. I'm pretty much fucked aren't I. I'm still in my early 20s so there's time but I've never been to confident in my chances.

KuGsj.gif
Lauging to keep from cryin

Jzero

Nope, some dude will always be trying to get with a woman no matter her age. I think a woman's attractiveness is going to matter more than her age.

Education is a good benchmark for intelligence. Not worth finding more about someone who couldn't do more past high school if you have that information available (profiles).

I don't know. We have brain surgeons who say and believe some of the stupidest and most ridiculous shit imaginable and then we have high school/college dropouts who went on to build some of the biggest companies in the world and led societal revolutions.

Valhelm

contribute something
A lot of that is because so many black men are in prison, and most people date / marry within their race. So basically its really bad to be black in America.

That's totally true, but I feel like black women have substantially less sexual capital than black men. White women seem more likely to like black guys than the reverse, and most white guys I know specify that they'd only date a light-skinned or mixed black girl.

There's no such thing.

If you have to use some fictitious idea of "leagues", then you've got other issues I'm afraid.

Well, if people believe it and behave as if it were... then it's real pretty much. Adding to that, people in general seem very attracted to all kinds of abstract hierarchies that ranks them highly. That to say that i wouldn't really think of it as especially abnormal, if anything i'd consider choosing not to participate in that kind of social behavior the least common of the two.

Education is a good benchmark for intelligence. Not worth finding more about someone who couldn't do more past high school if you have that information available (profiles).

That's a great way to maximize selective perception.

Theres definitely leagues. I'll get lucky here and there when a woman's profile says she's picky, and don't get angry if she doesn't respond. Maybe it's my opening line that's better than, "hi!" But most of the time I get passed on by really attractive women. They swipe right, which I guess is alright since they found me attractor enough, but they'll ignore my messages.

E92 M3

I don't know. We have brain surgeons who say and believe some of the stupidest and most ridiculous shit imaginable and then we have high school/college dropouts who went on to build some of the biggest companies in the world and led societal revolutions.

It's best to not discuss outliers when they aren't relevant to most people. Education is better and can be used as a benchmark - it's not the end all, be all.

But it is a good marker that they're motivated and dedicated in working towards some goal. And can be a loose indicator of intelligence.

Fuchsdh

That's totally true, but I feel like black women have substantially less sexual capital than black men. White women seem more likely to like black guys than the reverse, and most white guys I know specify that they'd only date a light-skinned or mixed black girl.

At least according to OkCupid's stats black women and asian men just get less messages period, and it's across racial lines.

Outliers are the norm? There's clear differences between high school and university educated people down the road.

It's best to not discuss outliers, when they aren't relevant. Education is better and can be used as a benchmark - it's not the end all, be all.

But it is a good marker that they're motivated and dedicated in working towards some goal. And can be a loose indicator of intelligence.

Fair points and they were only examples. It's better to say there are varying degrees of intelligence and it's not something that can or should only be measured only by ones level of education. It's okay to say it's a good measure but it's not the only measure and it's not one that people shouldn't automatically assume means high or even good levels of intelligence.

Fair points and they were only examples. It's better to say there are varying degrees of intelligence and it's not something that can or should only be measured only by ones level of education. It's okay to say it's a good measure but it's not the only measure and it's not one that people shouldn't automatically assume means high or even good levels of intelligence.

It's actually the best measure of intelligence in society. What are others?

Theres definitely leagues. I'll get lucky here and there when a woman's profile says she's picky, and don't get angry if she doesn't respond. Maybe it's my opening line that's better than, "hi!" But most of the time I get passed on by really attractive women. They swipe right, which I guess is alright since they found me attractor enough, but they'll ignore my messages.

I would say there are not leagues in the traditional sense of the word, where people are literally separated into distinct levels and one is only allowed to interact with someone else within the same level. However, it seems equally false to say that everyone has the same value in the dating/sexual marketplace. Hence, the larger the disparity between two people's sexual/dating value, the less likely it is they will get together.

Outliers are the norm? There's clear differences between high school and university educated people down the road.

And from personal experience, a guy I used to work with held two post graduate degrees and believed that modern medicine was useless and we should trust in natural remedies. I don't know what that says about education if someone who holds the degrees he did can still buy into and spout such idiotic ideas.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think people who are using these generalities as either proof of their own lack of success or reasons to not be optimistic are missing a very important point, what is statistically not in your favor is not an indication of a lack of success. The title is polarising, women over 30 are not screwed in dating, it is just harder for them given a certain set of criteria, such as wanting children, wanting a level of person. If you are a woman and over 30 there is nothing to say you cant date, have children and get most if not all that you want out of a relationship (Within the reason anyone of any age needs, you cant date a unicorn who shits rainbows :p).

Also for the men posting who are saying their luck is not with them, they are undateable and in a bad situation, you have to realise, just as any woman who thinks there are "no good men" left, that the outcome almost entirely depends on your commitment to the cause, if it means enough to you then you have to be proactive in both bettering yourself and being open to attention.

I think people use these sorts of things as self determining mechanisms and dont realise that there is nothing stopping you from dating other than yourself and your personal approach.

Yeah I think some people confuse intelligence with knowledge. For example I work at a University, and a lot of professors are extremely knowledgeable about certain subjects, but are quite dumb when it comes to other shit. Those are some of the most educated people in society, but they can be surprisingly dense.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

I'd say that you can figure out pretty quickly if someone is reasonably 'intelligent' after a couple of dates, so there's value in potentially ignoring flags like "didn't go to college" if this person seems to hit on all the other notes. You might meet the person and find out they didn't go to college because they got a job as a software dev straight out of highschool and make good money and are intelligent.

I think that the idea of taking more chances is a legitimate one, and I can see in how my female friends swipe on dating apps how them being inundated with options makes it hard for them to 'focus' on the important things.

I think that there is probably a decent chance that you can get a general idea of how smart someone is by seeing if they graduated college, and maybe you can see how successful someone is by seeing how much money they make (they removed that from OkCupid a little while ago) - but that if you're struggling to find a good match for yourself, it's time to think outside the box and challenge your methods.

Speaking of methods and my female friends swiping habits, I honestly am so damn fascinated by it, because I just -don't- get it. I have a close work friend who has been opening up to me a lot about her trouble finding someone to be in a long term relationship with, and how she's afraid of not finding anyone to have kids with soon. She's a sweet woman and I think she's amazing, but I can't help but feel that she needs to readjust how she's looking for a partner if this is how she feels - but she doesn't seem to be. If you see her on Tinder, for example, she'll swipe 'no' on 85% of guys within literally 1 second. She'll stop if she sees something that is attractive to her (I'm not really good at figuring out what sort of guys are attractive to women, but these are all tough, square jaw'd 'grown up bro'-esque sort of dudes, look 90% the same to me) and she'll look at his other pictures. Then the superstition comes in - if she she's him with a woman in the picture -anywhere-, she declines. If there are not at least 3+ pictures, she's done. If he is wearing any clothing that doesn't appeal, done. One time a guy had two pictures that were too similar to each other, and she was done with him. It was bonkers to me - I was asking her why she was swiping guys away a lot and I would just get the weirdest answers. She didn't even look at the profile information at -all-.

I think what that sort of made me realize is that some people maybe have no idea how to look for the sort of person they idealize. That they have a system that they use to get dates, and even if that system doesn't work, they don't think about changing it - they just think either A) something must be wrong with them that guys don't want to be long term, or B) they have really bad luck.

A counter to this anecdote is a friend I was closer with about 2 years ago, she would drive me around a lot and talk about her dating troubles and I don't know what it was about our conversation, but she seemed to actually appreciate my input. At one point she told me about a guy she was kind of into, but he didn't seem to hit all the 'notes' she was looking for - she described him to me and he sounded great. He was a year or two younger, and was still figuring out his career stuff but he was on the way to getting there - paid internships and freelancing for experience. He was a bit goofy, and she usually was into the dark/brooding type, but I love goofiness so I was like "Bitch, go for it". And yeah, they just got engaged. I think just her challenging what she eventually perceived as a broken system for finding dates is what really found her someone great.

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
I dropped out of highschool, did a bunch of drugs, got my GF knocked up when I was 21, married her...37 now

Now I have a shit ton of trade licenses and certs and make over 100k a year as well as having sole custody of a teenager. Own my own home etc..

On my second Ivy league/Masters having GF.

I pretty much ate shit from 20-35 and now the dating scene is successful women with kids who see me as "new daddy material" or women with no kids, roommates, or living with their parents still looking for a savior.

Online dating has been nothing but women pursuing me. It's crazy.

I hate to use a term but all my married or saddled with child support buddies often call me "Captain Save-a-ho"
Its demeaning and makes me cringe but I see what they mean.

CoolOff

8,000 Years Ago, 17 Women Reproduced for Every One Man
An analysis of modern DNA uncovers a rough dating scene after the advent of agriculture.

http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-technology/17-to-1-reproductive-success

I really wish someone would do a research on the reproduced rate in the age of internet to find out the numbers. should be really interesting.

This is something that I've thought about recently as well, but a more recent comparison when it comes to expectations in the dating game. "Love" as a reason for marriage is such a new invention that I can't help but think that some of the frustrations among people today are due to the "free market" that dating has become, compared to the forced marriages of a few hundred years ago.

Not saying it was better, just that maybe expecting 100% of the dating pool to find a match is asking too much?

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
what's the age before it gets harder to conceive children? (both men and women)

Most childless women I've dated post +30 all also have this "I've been consuming birth control waiting for Mr.Right for the last 15 years so my uterus/reproductive system is most likely destroyed" theory.

Not sure of its true but like I said I've heard it quite frequently.

Measley

I'm seeing a lot of 35-50 year old men dating women in their 20s. It's very interesting.

I've been in a committed relationship since I was in my late twenties (I'm 35 now) so I missed all the fun.

Pau

This thread is making me feel all kinds of shit. I'm black, chubby, not the most attractive, ultimately going towards a MA, and shy. I'm pretty much fucked aren't I. I'm still in my early 20s so there's time but I've never been to confident in my chances.

KuGsj.gif
Reading GAF you'd think guys only ever date supermodels or that every woman has an easy time getting attention from men and if she doesn't it's because she's shallow. It's not very encouraging, I know. :/ But it's also not the truth for everyone.

I think the best thing to do is just meet as many people (including lots of the gender you're into) as possible. As a fellow shy, not the most attractive woman, I know how hard it is. But once you start it does get easier.

I would say there are not leagues in the traditional sense of the word, where people are literally separated into distinct levels and one is only allowed to interact with someone else within the same level. However, it seems equally false to say that everyone has the same value in the dating/sexual marketplace. Hence, the larger the disparity between two people's sexual/dating value, the less likely it is they will get together.

True. I did match with a former Miss North Dakota. She's actually 36, me 33. We talked, she got silent, I messaged her days later, and she finally replied saying something came up, and had to go back to her home state for while. Didnt want any distractions.

She's very pretty, and I'm hoping when everything is alright with her, we can eventually get together. And no kids, surprisingly.

Peltz

This is why I'm terrified of not settling down with someone soon, even though that's the last thing I want right now. I wish things remained balanced between genders in perpetuity.

It's all in your head.

As a 29 year old, I've happily dated girls upwards of 5 years older than me... As well as 5 years younger.

Women in their 30s have so much more to offer from an emotional standpoint.

My sister is getting married at 35 to an extremely successful younger man who could not be happier to be with her.

This mentality that women need to settle down early needs to die.

Miletius

I think it depends on their expectations. If any woman (regardless of age) is looking to find a husband and procreate within a strict timeline it'll produce strain in finding and creating long lasting relationships. This will cause things to be harder, especially if the timeline is dictated by biology.

On the other hand, if you are less concerned with that, and are looking for eligible partners who may want a baby down the line, but aren't really concerned about it right now, then the relationship will go much smoother. It's the imposition of a timeline (either real or imagined) that will introduce tension in a relationship that may cause more difficulties down the line.

To be honest, I'd say that that shouldn't really be a factor until mid to late 30's though.

When you say the balance of power shifts what do you mean? Also do you think this article was right?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769292

Attractive women in their twenties hold the cards because they have the choice, time and men chasing after them (chasing is a bit strong). Successful men in their thirties hold the cards because they have less of a biological clock and established in their careers. A friend said that men's stock value goes up and a women's stock value goes down.

The article is provocative and doesn't apply to everyone, but the gist is along the correct lines with harsh practicalities of how society works. Her article is aimed at high-flying corporate women, who will be working very long hours and earning six figures, saying don't leave it too late if you want it ALL.

There's nothing wrong with thinking ahead about meeting high calibre traditionally eligible family-orientated marriage partners, It depends on how ambitious/aspirational you are... you can aim high or settle for mediocre, eventually compromising as your expectations and realities shift. Most women would generally not want to settle for a less successful man after working that hard themselves, and would rather have the option of spending more time with children in the future instead of being the main breadwinner.

Peltz

I mean... About the whole "biological" aspect. A lot of women I know just freeze their eggs, including my sister, my good friend, as well as a coworker of mine.

It's not ideal, but hardly uncommon. Women in their mid 30d have just as much value and are 100% as date-able as men of the same age.

Anyone who says otherwise is living in the past in my opinion.

Conceiving isn't really the biggest problem, there is more chance for birth defects and difficulties.

interesting, i didnt know this.

Most childless women I've dated post +30 all also have this "I've been consuming birth control waiting for Mr.Right for the last 15 years so my uterus/reproductive system is most likely destroyed" theory.

yeah, i heard it is like that for most women. (at least in my circles) i suppose they get more pressure than man.

edit:

Here's a summary of studies on the topic. In short, a live healthy birth becomes increasingly difficult in the late 30s.

Isn't 35 the cutoff date for women? After that there is a higher risk of birth problems.

Was surprised to see the thing about older men having kids having a correlation with autism:o

thank you!

hmm, i suppose around your early 30's is a good time to get serious then.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

I think this passes the common sense test that they would not legalise a drug that destroys uteruses :p

norm9

I mean... About the whole "biological" aspect. A lot of women I know just freeze their eggs, including my sister, my good friend, as well as a coworker of mine.

It's not ideal, but hardly uncommon. Women in their mid 30d have just as much value and are 100% as date-able as men of the same age.

Freezing eggs seems very uncommon. I never hear women talk about this.

mintylurb

KuGsj.gif
It's ok. I look like this, late 30's and still get young honies. It's all in your head my man.
P8Mb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom