• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you ashamed of being a gamer/nerd in public?

I'm not very blatant about my hobbies in general - including videogames, though if you're in the right place at the right time you can definitely catch me.

I've been playing phoenix wright and summer carnival '92 recca on the subway ride home from work. I talk with maybe 2 friends irl about videogames, and rarely bring it up otherwise.

I do play my 3DS at work (at a tech company) in the break room since we have a tv and Wii U that's in constant use by the other employees, but that's about the extent of my public playing. The one exception is
when mario kart first came out, I played at home for about 3-4 weeks straight... and then someone brought it into my workplace. After a couple of weeks, there was a ranking system at work, so for fun I challenged the top guy. I came in 1st place for the entire set/150cc special cup 3 gold star trophy. He got super pissed but I realized I was kind of the dick for not really saying that I played actively. That was the only time I played against other people here lol

I just downloaded phoenix wright for 3ds and will spend the next 2 hours or so playing !!

SOME-MIST

I just downloaded phoenix wright for 3ds and will spend the next 2 hours or so playing !!

I dunno why I sat on it for so long, but it's honestly so much fun. I've been playing on my commute and when I get home and I'm on the 4th case already! I think you should enjoy it if you're a fan of adventure/crime games.

I've always been a person who never cares what people think about me, so the answer is no. My philosophy is simple: Other people aren't me - they don't live my life so why should I care what they think about me? I think some spend way too much time worrying what other people think.

With that being said, my GF is one of those people and she hates that I wear video game shirts all of the time.

dreams

I definitely feel embarrassed for people to know that I still play video games/board games/whatever. I don't wear game related shirts or have game related phone cases or anything, and I only bring it up if someone else does first. I have gotten better about it recently, though. It's still hard to shake that mental stigma.

I even get embarrassed whenever I go into my local game shop. I guess that stems more from feeling like I'm not "worthy" or "hardcore" enough to be in there. I just want to buy more board games man ;_;

FWIW, the only time I've ever gotten any sort of "flack" (for lack of a better word) from having these interests is when I've been in the game shop and gotten grilled on my knowledge of everything related to what I was considering purchasing. It didn't come across as extremely rude or malicious, but it fed into my feeling of not being "worthy" haha. I don't go in there without my bf anymore.

I've never had an experience like OP where people stared at me for buying something, though.

gconsole

I play game my whole life and build a gaming website as a result of that. Still, some nerds on the street is so obsess with their hobby and look so obvious from the outside. The way they dress and the way they talk. I will give them a look. Sorry.

lOTl

Banned
A gamer is often someone that appreciates and supports several disciplines of the creative arts. I think it's more impressive than wearing Area Sports Team jersey or Clothing Brand Since 1979.

gatling

Not really. But as a deliberately plain woman I get a lot of people explaining gaming culture to me when I join conversation. So sometimes I wish I was flamboyantly nerdy, but its against my grain.

BeltakiSauce

Neo Member
I personally don't care what anyone thinks. I'm in my 30s and pretty regularly talk to my coworkers about how I got little sleep the night before because of playing games till 4AM.

Of course it probably helps that I work in IT and all the other people I work with, who are all at least 15 years older than me, play games from time to time also.

11884699_10153545126064235_6372940296977997936_o.jpg

Today is my Birthday (33 years old), and this is what my wife gave me. I guess she is not embarrassed!!

I don't wear gaming apparel, but man, once somebody talks to me about games they are shocked at how knowledgable I am. I do not look like a gamer at all and it catches other gamers off guard. I joined a gaming club in college and although I made a few friends, it was utterly embarassing to be a part of that group. The lack of hygiene and social skills made it clear that I am not a true stereotypical "gamer".

I always get shit from my family for playing games, though, and I don't care. I always ask them what's the difference in media consumption, whether it be TV, movies, or games? It's all a form of entertainment used to kill time. I hate it when people mention "growing out of gaming", like what the fuck does that even mean? Do you grow out of reading or watching TV? I have members in my family who insult me for playing Playstation or handhelds yet they stay glued to their idiot Facebooks and social games like Candy Crush all damn day and night!

I stopped caring what other people thought of me a decade ago... and the great part about that is, once you stop caring most other people do too.

Heck, even if I DID care, no one else would. My bosses play more games than I do... Heck, I don't even get a sidelong glance anymore if I start talking about anime or burst into a j-pop song at work.

SeanR1221

I have a Nintendo Power shirt I got from the NYC store I wear to the gym sometimes.

But like others have mentioned, I don't really advertise my gaming hobby.

I do wear a lot of powerlifting related shirts though. I guess just because its more socially acceptable.

Top Bottom