• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Sequel Announced

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
yurinka said:
Let's hope this time they don't put guys talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, during all the game. It was just irritating and boring.

I also hate this JRPG like this tons of conversations with generic characters (cops with a crappy modeled face) that doesn't add anything to the game.

It would be cool to see on-line co-op multiplayer, more environment variations, a batmobile stage (maybe batwing too) and characters like Robin or the Penguin and more variation of gadchets instead of 1000 variations of the batarang.

I think Arkham Asilum was a good game, but really overrated. If they fix these issues, the sequel will be a fucking amazing game for me.

:lol

But Quincy Sharp
was the Spirit of Arkham, those that got a all the tablets and would know this. I 100% the game myself, it was that good. But yeah those theories kinda fall flat seeing as Quincy is actually the ghost Arkham guy (forgot his name).

Oh and fuck no to open world. It has never been done well imo and as good as Rocksteady have proven themselves to be, open world games are entirely different beasts to linear ones. Open world games are boring, barren, require traversal (which becomes a chore when the game reaches its midpoint) are less detailed in general (detail being one of AA's selling points). The original game was open enough for me, having pretty much the perfect size for some exploration.
So yeah, anyone that wants AA2 to be open world wants it to be shit in other words.

Gestahl

I should be doing hw said:
But Quincy Sharp
was the Spirit of Arkham, those that got a all the tablets and would know this. I 100% the game myself, it was that good. But yeah those theories kinda fall flat seeing as Quincy is actually the ghost Arkham guy (forgot his name).

Oh and fuck no to open world. It has never been done well imo and as good as Rocksteady have proven themselves to be, open world games are entirely different beasts to linear ones. Open world games are boring, barren, require traversal (which becomes a chore when the game reaches its midpoint) are less detailed in general (detail being one of AA's selling points). The original game was open enough for me, having pretty much the perfect size for some exploration.
So yeah, anyone that wants AA2 to be open world wants it to be shit in other words.

He's not an actual fucking ghost, man.

RagnarokX

But Quincy Sharp

No no no.
He's not a ghost, he's just insane and thinks the spirit of Amadeus Arkham resides within him. He believes the only way to cure patients is to kill them and that cleaning up Gotham is his responsibility. He is running for mayor. Amadeus also went insane and was locked up in his own asylum after he started killing patients.

Gestahl

Yes he was? Explain to me how he wasn't.

No, no, no, you're right
a ghost was running for fucking mayor and had the shit kicked out of it by Harley. Probably has an S&M fetish, I guess.

RagnarokX said:
No no no.
He's not a ghost, he's just insane and thinks the spirit of Amadeus Arkham resides within him. He believes the only way to cure patients is to kill them and that cleaning up Gotham is his responsibility. He is running for mayor. Amadeus also went insane and was locked up in his own asylum after he started killing patients.
Why wasn't that explained in the game then? Or maybe it was I could have sworn I saw him disappear when I found him...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Why wasn't that explained in the game then? Or maybe it was I could have sworn I saw him disappear when I found him...
It was explained in game.....listen to the last couple of messages. It all makes sense in the end.

jcWPu.png

Ephemeris

he bails out and escapes

Clayface tells you.

Gestahl said:
No, no, no, you're right
a ghost was running for fucking mayor and had the shit kicked out of it by Harley. Probably has an S&M fetish, I guess.
Wait, your being a smart arse to me about a game where you fight a giant crocodile (or man with scales with is equally as ludicrous), a man with biceps literally bigger than trees, a woman with plant pheromones who can control said plants and a clown that then turns into a dude with biceps literally bigger than trees. Yeah how stupid of me, junior.

Edit:
It was explained in game.....listen to the last couple of messages. It all makes sense in the end.
:lol I obviously wasn't paying that much attention I guess. I'd replay it to clear it up but I've already got a Platinum for it, I'm saturated with Batman now.

Penguin

I wouldn't mind 4 gangs vying for control of Crime Alley. your new Batcave could be Dr. Leslie Thompson's office or something.

Or could be like the current arc, where Black Mask blows up Arkham while they are transporting patients, and Batman has to clean up the city.

Wait, your being a smart arse to me about a game where you fight a giant crocodile (or man with scales with is equally as ludicrous), a man with biceps literally bigger than trees, a woman with plant pheromones and a clown that then turns into a dude with biceps literally bigger than trees. Yeah how stupid of me, junior.

1. He's been surfing GAF more than you so you have no right at calling him a junior.
2. You both are arguing over a shitty reason.

Quncy Sharp ain't being chased by Bill Murray, simple as that...

Ephemeris

Penguin said:
I wouldn't mind 4 gangs vying for control of Crime Alley. your new Batcave could be Dr. Leslie Thompson's office or something.

Or could be like the current arc, where Black Mask blows up Arkham while they are transporting patients, and Batman has to clean up the city.
I'd be down for that.

I wonder if we'll be seeing it in 2010.

Gestahl

Wait, your being a smart arse to me about a game where you fight a giant crocodile (or man with scales with is equally as ludicrous), a man with biceps literally bigger than trees, a woman with plant pheromones who can control said plants and a clown that then turns into a dude with biceps literally bigger than trees. Yeah how stupid of me, junior.

Right, throw around the junior insult, that will get you places around here.

Also, the messages pretty much make it blatantly clear that the guy is an actual person and not a ghost making love to the Asylum walls, having carved words and messages sprout out from his ghostly juices.

Kittonwy

Banned
But Quincy Sharp

Infamous has already done open-world well in a superhero game.

It depends on how big of a budget and how much time the folks at Rocksteady have, they probably can't do an open-world game in anything less than 2 years even if they hire more people, and obviously you can't have as much density in an open-world game but then jumping from rooftop to rooftop on a chase, getting up on a tall building and then gliding into the only entry point of another building through a window, or chasing after criminals with the batmobile/batpod can be exciting as well. Your high density level would be in scenarios where you have to fight your way through the lair of a crime boss. I doubt Rocksteady can handle an open-world game so no I don't think they will make it open-world.

shagg_187 said:
1. He's been surfing GAF more than you so you have no right at calling him a junior.
2. You both are arguing over a shitty reason.

Quncy Sharp ain't being chased by Bill Murray, simple as that...
He has the tag, its my right. I wasn't really arguing I was simply ignorant to the truth, I asked for an explanation.

Right, throw around the junior insult, that will get you places around here.

Also, the messages pretty much make it blatantly clear that the guy is an actual person and not a ghost making love to the Asylum walls, having carved words and messages sprout out from his ghostly juices.
If you talk to me like a smarmy prick I'll treat you like one, ok?

Gestahl

He has the tag, its my right. I wasn't really arguing I was simply ignorant to the truth, I asked for an explanation.

If you talk to me like a smarmy prick I'll treat you like one, ok?

I meant you probably shouldn't use that insult, because people usually get banned for it these days, but if you insist on your "right", I suppose I'll will relent with my advice on the matter.

Gestahl

DrBo42 said:
Gentlemen, come on. AA 2 has been announced, bat hugs for everyone!

Croc better be back, and I better be able to actually kick the shit out of him. In fact, this goes for nearly every boss. Besides the lame Titan fights, you never really do anything. It was funny, because I had heard before playing the game that the boss battles blew. Then I fought Bane and I thought hey this isn't half bad, I don't know how people can badmouth the bosses if they keep up this level of quality. And then it turned out that fight was over half of the boss battles. And the fights against the two main antagonists of the game were basically thug battles with a gimmick. Posion Ivy's wasn't that bad, I guess at least. But that has to be on the number of improvements.

Kittonwy said:
I'd argue that it's the best designed open world game out, but as good as it is it still becomes boring after a while due to that. It could easily have been a linear game, it pretty much was, and would have been much better looking and running for it. As good as it was, I still had to spend time grinding on those rail tracks for extended periods of time. That was boring as fuck and drained the fuck out of my batteries because of the rumble :lol
If that shit can be avoided it would be preferable. What would you gain from an open world game that you couldn't have from the same kind of design that the original game has. You could make those outdoor areas larger, which I'm sure they could easily do now, and it could pretty much serve the same purpose. There was practically no loading in-between areas anyway.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Kittonwy said:

No it hasn't. The open world structure was part of what held it back from being as good as Batman. All of the best parts of that game were the ones that were focused. The sewer sections. Saving Zeke. Alden's Tower. Roaming around in the city got incredibly annoying incredibly fast.

You have to realize that the game being closed off is a major reason Arkham Asylum was so good.

LiK

DrBo42 said:
We don't really know that at this point.
Yea, just a teaser. Mark Hamill said AA1 was his last voicework as the joker right?maybe Rocksteady is just fucking with us.

DrBo42

LiK said:
Yea, just a teaser. Mark Hamill said AA1 was his last voicework as the joker right?maybe Rocksteady is just fucking with us.

As Joker is recovering from the end of the first, it seems like Mark (if still on board) would have a much easier time voicing the character. I imagine he takes more of a passive role in this one, he can't be the mobile energetic dancing clown with a blood bag next to him. We'll see what happens. If they take a No Man's Land approach it might have Batman trying to hold on to and secure territory for the people remaining in Gotham. It would allow Rocksteady to expand the scope of the game, but still manage to keep it limited to sections of Gotham with a legitimate reason.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LiK said:
He could just have a very limited role. Joker could just show up briefly. Hamill said it was because he's getting older and the voice is getting harder that he wouldn't do it again but I assume a hefty check, the fact that it they could be doing voice recording relatively soon, and if he has a smaller role he may come back. I sure hope so, at least.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kittonwy said:

In my opinion, inFamous was neither a good open-world game nor a good superhero game. As a game in general, it was good but not great.

Put all the narrative spin you want on being unable to use cars, deal with fences, or go in the water, it's still stupidly annoying when you play the game. inFamous is what it is, and it's kinda cool in a comic book sort of way, but Crackdown is an immeasurably better open world game and an immeasurably more fun superhero/superpowered game.

I don't see why people are concerned about the amount of time Rocksteady is dedicating to this, seeing as BAA was done months before its release. Chances are BAA2 has been in the works for at least 7-8 months.

stalker

Yesterday I read an old interview with Sefton Hill on Gamasutra that made me very confident about AA2. If they keep the design principles (used for the first game) he talks about there, the sequel will be good even if a bit rushed. If on the other hand they listen to insane proposals about open-endness etc, the game will be nowhere as good as the first.

EzLink

Banned
I don't think there is any way Rocksteady can fuck this game up. They are too talented and smart. They absolutely nailed everything about Batman in the first game, and they know it. They aren't going to butcher the ideas from the first. I'm sure it will just be merely expanded and perfected, with some new cool shit thrown in too.

This will probably be one of the best sequels of all time

LowParry

I want to see larger area's, more push on stealth elements, less Predator vision (as much as I loved it, it's all I played the game under) and bigger Crow events. I can't wait to see if they do a Freeze stage. Would be very awesome. Or hell, bring on in Clayface!

EzLink

Banned
CcrooK said:
I want to see larger area's, more push on stealth elements, less Predator vision (as much as I loved it, it's all I played the game under) and bigger Crow events. I can't wait to see if they do a Freeze stage. Would be very awesome. Or hell, bring on in Clayface!

Yes to all of this except "more stealth" elements. I thought AA was perfectly balanced in regards to how often you saw action and how often you were slinking in the shadows. Any imbalance (which would maybe occur with more stealth segments) could end up feeling a little tedious. Of course, that being said, I'm sure Rocksteady would come up with even more gadgets and tricks and things to do during stealth parts which will probably freshen it up

I want boss battles in the sequel where you actually fight 2 or more main villains at once. That could be really awesome

LowParry

EzLink said:
I want boss battles in the sequel where you actually fight 2 or more main villains at once. That could be really awesome

In spirit of crappy Batman events. Riddler and TwoFace team up. :D

LiK

EzLink said:
Yes to all of this except "more stealth" elements. I thought AA was perfectly balanced in regards to how often you saw action and how often you were slinking in the shadows. Any imbalance (which would maybe occur with more stealth segments) could end up feeling a little tedious. Of course, that being said, I'm sure Rocksteady would come up with even more gadgets and tricks and things to do during stealth parts which will probably freshen it up

Multistage boss battles would be pretty sweet.

Top Bottom