• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Sequel Announced

DryvBy

Strider2K99 said:
It's only been like 4 months since Arkham Asylum, this is a bit soon.

Still, it's great to hear it's getting a sequel.

Doesn't mean it will be bad. It seems like it would but it's Batman. They could just use same engine and steal stuff from the Dark Horse comics. Kerblam, tons of games they could pump out.

The thing is, for AA they already build such a great engine that it can be and is pretty believable that they started working on AA2 as soon as AA finished. As you can see, enemy models are still the same, joker's model is still the same (from the end of the game), and Harley Quinn's model is still the same.

Adding animations and certain locations for the trailer can't be that hard.

ethelred

Two Face is a great villain, and I'm really glad he's being included -- he's one of the few who can really stand toe-to-toe with Joker as a top-notch nemesis. And I think that, like Joker, he can be used to deliver lots of constant biting quips. Joker's barrage of incessant manic barbs was one of the highlights of Arkham, so any additional major villains on top of Joker need to also be able to carry this through. Two Face can.

Aside from that... Penguin is a good choice, especially if they go a mobby route. Black Mask I can give or take. I do, however, really hope they include Mad Hatter, since he was considered for the first game -- he's always been one of my favorite Batman villains.

As much as I love Scarecrow and loved the Scarecrow segments of Arkham, I'm hoping that neither he, Bane, Poison Ivy, nor Killer Croc return. Joker returning is fine, and Harley would be fine as well, but aside from that, I'd like a new roster of villains.

Zenith

Banned
shagg_187 said:
The thing is, for AA they already build such a great engine that it can be and is pretty believable that they started working on AA2 as soon as AA finished.

What, UE3? :p

no, I get what you meant.

Tobor

ethelred said:
Two Face is a great villain, and I'm really glad he's being included -- he's one of the few who can really stand toe-to-toe with Joker as a top-notch nemesis. And I think that, like Joker, he can be used to deliver lots of constant biting quips. Joker's barrage of incessant manic barbs was one of the highlights of Arkham, so any additional major villains on top of Joker need to also be able to carry this through. Two Face can.

Aside from that... Penguin is a good choice, especially if they go a mobby route. Black Mask I can give or take. I do, however, really hope they include Mad Hatter, since he was considered for the first game -- he's always been one of my favorite Batman villains.

As much as I love Scarecrow and loved the Scarecrow segments of Arkham, I'm hoping that neither he, Bane, Poison Ivy, nor Killer Croc return. Joker returning is fine, and Harley would be fine as well, but aside from that, I'd like a new roster of villains.

All this plus Catwoman and we've got ourselves a nice sequel.

YagizY

I really hope they add in awesome game mechanics like being Robin or Batgirl for specific sections. How about adding an awesome batmobile driving section maybe a batwing flying level. Oh yeah, they definitely need to add a snowmobile level, if not at least a level where batman ski's down a mountain.

[/sarcasm]

I really hope rocksteady doesn't fall into any of these shitty pitfalls. I felt like Gears 2 was Epic falling into every shitty sequel pitfall imaginable. 30% was in vehicles and FUCK RAZOR HAIL.

Hamfam

Riddler should take on Sarecrow's role...sort of popping up randomly throughout the game - and giving Batman missions / riddles.

Would like to see Mr.Freeze take on Poison Ivy's role as the super-natural villain with another agenda.

I'd like a meeting with Two-Face, but with all the villain's above, plus penguin, the mask and harley quinn which seem to be confirmed from the trailer - I think Two Face's role should be very minimal....maybe he could even be a 'good guy' in some twisted way.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Nice.
I'll start playing the first one tonight, I finally got over the fact I didn't like the "Hulk"'s Batman artstyle since the game has got nothing but praise over here and people around gaming message boards

Naughtboy

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
It's only been like 4 months since Arkham Asylum, this is a bit soon.

Still, it's great to hear it's getting a sequel.

Well I think technically they were done sometime in May right? But delayed the June release to tighten up the game. Again though, they have the engine built and the assets in place. It usually requires two years to built a good game, 6 months to a year for the engine and physics etc and the remainder for the assets.

They completed the engine to this game i'm pretty sure before the year even started, so lets say they have about 16 months or so if they decide to release summer of 10 which is not bad considering it should be tightening up the graphics and telling a new story

Hamfam said:
Riddler should take on Sarecrow's role...sort of popping up randomly throughout the game - and giving Batman missions / riddles.

Would like to see Mr.Freeze take on Poison Ivy's role as the super-natural villain with another agenda.

I'd like a meeting with Two-Face, but with all the villain's above, plus penguin, the mask and harley quinn which seem to be confirmed from the trailer - I think Two Face's role should be very minimal....maybe he could even be a 'good guy' in some twisted way.

I see Two-Face better equipped to take over the Riddler's role than Crane for sure. The optional missions could have different goals each time based on the flip of a coin. "Kill all the goons within 30 seconds" versus say "Keep Gotham citizen from being attacked from goons while defeating them" for a heads/tail situation. Seems like that would work really well to me.

NIN90

DigitalDevil said:
I see Two-Face better equipped to take over the Riddler's role than Crane for sure. The optional missions could have different goals each time based on the flip of a coin. "Kill all the goons within 30 seconds" versus say "Keep Gotham citizen from being attacked from goons while defeating them" for a heads/tail situation. Seems like that would work really well to me.

Wouldn't that amount of randomness just piss people off?

NIN90 said:
Wouldn't that amount of randomness just piss people off?

I don't see how... it would replayability to a game that did not have much. And I'm just talking about "bonus" missions, not story missions.

hamchan

No Robin is definitely the best route. If scarecrow gas makes a return though I wouldn't mind seeing Jason Todd's death as a scenario.

^I'd prefer the Riddler to stay in the same role, with Two-Face being the main villain.

well they made it pretty obvious that Joker is returning as the "main" villain. I wouldn't have a problem with Riddler reprising his role, but they have to change the hunt. I mean, it can't be the same trophies and riddles as last time. They have to change it in a pretty sizeable way or it will feel stale!

RagnarokX

I'm thinking it will be more like Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, and possibly Black Mask all control portions of the walled-off part of the city. 4 gang territories similar to the 3 overworld sections of Arkham Island, with various areas within and under those territories. Sewers for Killer Croc (they could have an actual good boss fight this time), other villains working for one of the 4 sides or just on their own.

Thinking about it, I don't like the idea of the walled-off city being called Arkham Asylum. It makes non-insane villains and thugs being there questionable. I suppose Penguin could be there because he wants his nightclub back or something... I dunno. I have faith in Paul Dini, though.

RagnarokX said:
Maybe it's a take on that storyline in the comics where Gotham was closed off due to an earthquake. Batmobile/Batwing missions, pls.

Cataclysm and No Man's Land. Right after I read those, I thought about how great a game based on them would be, and after seeing how amazing Arkham Asylum was, I thought about it again.

It would be so damn awesome if they did go along that road.

I thought I had heard that Mark Hamill said that Arkham Asylum was going to be the last time he played the role of the Joker? I wonder if that was true, but he changed his mind due to it's success.

RagnarokX said:
I'm thinking it will be more like Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, and possibly Black Mask all control portions of the walled-off part of the city. 4 gang territories similar to the 3 overworld sections of Arkham Island, with various areas within and under those territories. Sewers for Killer Croc (they could have an actual good boss fight this time), other villains working for one of the 4 sides or just on their own.

Thinking about it, I don't like the idea of the walled-off city being called Arkham Asylum. It makes non-insane villains and thugs being there questionable. I suppose Penguin could be there because he wants his nightclub back or something... I dunno. I have faith in Paul Dini, though.

dude, no. Just... no. I hope it isn't like this. I have faith in Paul Dini also, but your theory sounds kind of crappy to me. I don't see why they have to make Arkham "move" to Gotham anyhow. Part of the thrill (or at least the idea of the thrill) to me is imagining free-roaming Gotham as Batman with this engine. Like a bad ass HD Spiderman 2, except mo' awesome.

RagnarokX

DigitalDevil said:
dude, no. Just... no. I hope it isn't like this. I have faith in Paul Dini also, but your theory sounds kind of crappy to me. I don't see why they have to make Arkham "move" to Gotham anyhow. Part of the thrill (or at least the idea of the thrill) to me is imagining free-roaming Gotham as Batman with this engine. Like a bad ass HD Spiderman 2, except mo' awesome.
Well, the trailer shows that Arkham is now a large section of Gotham City. Just trying to figure out what they are doing based on what they have given us.

I don't want free-roaming non-linear territorial conquest type gameplay, and I doubt that will happen. What I'm thinking is that Batman has to enter the Asylum for some reason (Joker kidnapped someone, bombs are set to go off, etc) and Batman will have to deal with other criminals while he's there and searching for clues. I guess basically like Escape From New York/LA.

RagnarokX

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder if Joker just has some plan in the mobbed up part of Gotham and is calling it his own personal Arkham
No, the gate actually calls it Arkham Asylum.
2lwokso.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Anyone who thinks this clearly knows nothing about the Batman mythos and hasn't paid any attention in over 20 years. That has absolutely nothing to do with what Robin is about.

Tim Drake is one of the greatest comic book characters of all time, and is an extremely dark character.

And the comic have made the point time and time again that Robin is needed. Batman needs someone around to keep him sane. This is the entire point of the dynamic.

Tim Drake is a teen, the only reason for a Robin to exist is for Robin to be killed, Batman should operate alone.

hamchan said:
How the heck would he manage to build/move the gate in the middle of Gotham 0_o

this actually concerns me. I think if Arkham has LITERALLY moved to Gotham, it will fuck with Batman's universe in too big a way. All the things that made DC fans drool in AA will have less of an impact in the sequel because the world will feel less like Batman's should... IMO.

RagnarokX

I just had a thought. Maybe the real villain is (first game spoilers)
Warden Quincy Sharp. If you find all of the Spirit of Arkham tablets, you find out that he is actually quite insane and bent on cleaning up Gotham. He was also running for mayor. Perhaps he got elected mayor and used his powers to turn a large part of the city into an asylum.

RagnarokX said:
Warden Quincy Sharp. If you find all of the Spirit of Arkham tablets, you find out that he is actually quite insane and bent on cleaning up Gotham. He was also running for mayor. Perhaps he got elected mayor and used his powers to turn a large part of the city into an asylum.

now THIS would fucking KICK. ASS.

RagnarokX said:

It's probably going to be a pretty big part of the story somehow.

Lyude77

BrandNew said:
the amount of stupid going on itt is ridiculous

great game comes out: "Woohoo, finally a great game!"

great game gets a sequel with what, apparently, fans wanted in a sequel: "Meh, why should we care."
I think it's the SMG 2 syndrome all over again, pretty much.

I still need to buy the first one, but I liked the demo. I'll probably wait until it comes down a bit, $50 is still too expensive when I have other games at $20 that I'd really like too.

hamchan said:
How the heck would he manage to build/move the gate in the middle of Gotham 0_o

I think it's a temporary Arkham built in Old Gotham, while the first one gets repaired/rebuilt. Whatever it is, I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT! Good/great Batman stories always make me feel like a kid chugging on an icecream! :D

Chittagong

Gold Member
looks amazing, loved the first one. I wonder what they'll call this game, it's fairly unusual to announce a game without a name.

jax (old)

Banned
I'm gonna start my holiday backlog with game 1 tonight!

*thanks to bandwidth capped = no more uncharted 2 online play... for a week :p

RagnarokX said:
1241351696481_f.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
RagnarokX said:

So
wall off the freaks and criminals away from the rest of society
?

WANT.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Kittonwy said:
Tim Drake is a teen, the only reason for a Robin to exist is for Robin to be killed, Batman should operate alone.

my name is TIM WAYNE
*punch *
:lol

well ..here is spoiler for the new batman comics for you...

Tim Drake ( he is calling himself Tim Wayne ) is the "red Robin" now , Dick Grayson "the Nighshit" is the new Batman , yeah the new fucking Batman (replacing Bruce who is dead/MIA) and he operate with not one but TWO FUCKINGS ROBINS now..shitty regular one and Red one..the new comics are pure shit , do not read them

RagnarokX

Router said:
So
wall off the freaks and criminals away from the rest of society
?

WANT.
Well,
he believed the only cure was death. Perhaps he'll end up thinking the only way to save Gotham is to destroy it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Totobeni said:
my name is TIM WAYNE
*punch *

Tim Drake ( he is calling himself Tim Wayne ) is the "red Robin" now , Dick Grayson "the Nighshit" is the new Batman , yeah the new fucking Batman (replacing Bruce who is dead/MIA) and he operate with not one but TWO FUCKINGS ROBINS now..shitty regular one and Red one..the new comics are pure shit , do not read them
Fuck out of here. The new Batman & Robin comic is one of the best Batman books in recent years.

RagnarokX said:
Well,
he believed the only cure was death. Perhaps he'll end up thinking the only way to save Gotham is to destroy it.

That would be awesome. Maybe they can work in
bringing in Ras Al Ghul to help him out in this plan, even though you could find his corpse in the morgue. That was one of my favorite parts of the game, to be honest.

Raxus

BrandNew said:
That would be awesome. Maybe they can work in
bringing in Ras Al Ghul to help him out in this plan, even though you could find his corpse in the morgue. That was one of my favorite parts of the game, to be honest.
There was tons of cool little knick knacks about villians in the game big and small. The only thing I care about, PLEASE GOD PUT A CLAYFACE FIGHT IN THE GAME! DO IT NOW!

You have to find him in a crowd of crazies, your xray stuff is malfunctioning so you can't rely on it. Would be a hell of a fight.

Totobeni said:
my name is TIM WAYNE
*punch *

what a terrible opinion, as well as incorrect
Tim is working by himself, they even had scenes showing how he disconnected himself from Dick.

Top Bottom