• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Sequel Announced

vazel

Banned
shagg_187 said:
FUCK THE HATERS!
:lol This is nowhere near underappreciated so don't even go there.

Edit: It's gonna take place in Gotham! Sweet! And sick Joker is interesting but I thought Hamill said no more Joker because it's getting too hard for him to do the voice. Or maybe that's why they made Joker sick... Either to explain Hamill's difficulty in doing the voice or to explain why Joker sounds different from a different voice actor.

Bleepey

To all the comic nerds here, it reminds me of No man's land and Cataclysm, for shame no one has mentioned it so far.

stalker

Bleepey said:
To all the comic nerds here, it reminds me of No man's land and Cataclysm, for shame no one has mentioned it so far.

Well, No man's land has been mentioned a number of times ...

btw, what is No man's land in this context? I guess it's not the european movie that won the oscar and golden globe in the early 2000's.

stalker

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm totally ignorant about the Batman universe apart from the Burton and Nolan movies and the AA game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Zenith said:
Booooooo. Way too soon.

And going by the cracked batman logo they're making it "dark". Ugh.

Jesus christ.

GTFO.

Batman AA is one of the best games in years, and it came out of the left field although I pretty much had faith in the project from day one. I cannot wait for the sequel, and I once again have faith in Rocksteady they will deliver :D.

yurinka said:
Let's hope this time they don't put guys talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, during all the game. It was just irritating and boring.

I also hate this JRPG like this tons of conversations with generic characters (cops with a crappy modeled face) that doesn't add anything to the game.

It would be cool to see on-line co-op multiplayer,
more environment variations, a batmobile stage (maybe batwing too) and characters like Robin or the Penguin and more variation of gadchets instead of 1000 variations of the batarang.

I think Arkham Asilum was a good game, but really overrated. If they fix these issues, the sequel will be a fucking amazing game for me.

Rage.jpg

Wesker

RagnarokX said:
Checking the trailer for details...

chvyg.jpg

The new Arkham Asylum. Appears to be a large walled-off section of the city, not the whole island.

ejgd3d.jpg

Two-Face posters on the walls.

2a7fjmg.jpg

Penguin's Iceberg Lounge is within the asylum's walls.

svgwna.jpg

Had to look this one up. Sionis is apparently the real name of Black Mask.

Lots of references to various crime lords in this trailer.

Joker + Penguin + Two faces = ORGASM

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
the Announcement was too early imo , I know it's the biggest IP game-wise for Warner Bros Interactive now , but come one , the game released just few months ago.

this might mean that they want to hit the iron while its hot , so releasing it next year , giving Rocksteady Studios less than 12 months to make it , which will Lead to many problems, I hope I am wrong.

kicking out Square Enix Europe ( Eidos ) was kinda funny , guess WBI need all the profits to themselves this time ( can't blame them , first game become huge success ).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Fuck yeah! Not that I doubted the fact that there would ever be a sequel but it still feels good to have it confirmed :D

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
So ready for this- screw the haters.

Hope there's a real expanded roster of villains too- makes sense considering Joker let them all out in the original game. Bring back Scarecrow as a mindfuck for Batman!

KZObsessed

Got the first game free with my PS3 Slim. Was a very good game, a great Batman game. Enjoyed it a lot. A little surprised at how much it's praised, but that's a lot better than it being underappreciated. :)

Will definitely pick up the sequel.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
RichardAM said:
So ready for this- screw the haters.

Hope there's a real expanded roster of villains too- makes sense considering Joker let them all out in the original game. Bring back Scarecrow as a mindfuck for Batman!

Scarecrow again will an overplayed trick.

as for villains I just want Two-Face , Catwoman and Mr. Freeze this time.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Totobeni said:
Scarecrow again will an overplayed trick.

as for villains I just want Two-Face , Catwoman and Mr. Freeze this time.

Having the Joker (and Quinn?) included again implies that Rocksteady can't be that bothered about separating themselves from the last game.

I'd have far rather had TwoFace as the big bad, but since they're shoe-horning Joker in again, might as well have Scarecrow too, right?

Dascu

I hope that this was just a quick and dirty teaser rushed out by Rocksteady for this VGA show. I'd be really pissed if they kept those awul character desings for Joker and Harley. It seems a bit stupid to re-use those villains as well.

Yeah, I don't like the Joker being in again. I wonder if thats a stipulation of using the license since post-Ledger, the Joker has become just as marketable character as Batman himself, if not moreso at the moment.

I really hope its set for 2011 and not next year, as that would be way too soon. Designing a 3d Metroidvania takes longer than a one year dev cycle, thats what made the original so fucking brilliant.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RichardAM said:
Having the Joker (and Quinn?) included again implies that Rocksteady can't be that bothered about separating themselves from the last game.
no, it implies that the game has barely even begun development. give them some time to actually build some new assets, Arkham Asylum only just launched.

RPGCrazied

looks to me its using the same graphics engine.. so, why could this not be an xpac dlc? like those ones for GTA IV

It can be done.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Anything which gives us more Hammill Joker is to be applauded.

Besides, I personally felt that the Riddler and Amadeus Arkham had completely stolen the show by the end of the first game, particularly with that shitty final boss battle.

Drame

Excellent.

Arkham Asylum was one of the best games this year. Hopefully, the sequel will be as enjoyable as the first one.

Burai

shitonmychest57
RPGCrazied said:
looks to me its using the same graphics engine.. so, why could this not be an xpac dlc? like those ones for GTA IV

It can be done.

Because it's probably not set in Arkham.

The GTAIV expansions worked because they used the same Liberty City map.

Linkified

Rez said:
no, it implies that the game has barely even begun development. give them some time to actually build some new assets, Arkham Asylum only just launched.

Or they have finished pre-production and DC want Rocksteady to keep the mantle of Batman needs the Joker and the Joker needs Batman.

Prine

Banned
yurinka said:
Let's hope this time they don't put guys talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, during all the game. It was just irritating and boring.

I also hate this JRPG like this tons of conversations with generic characters (cops with a crappy modeled face) that doesn't add anything to the game.

It would be cool to see on-line co-op multiplayer, more environment variations, a batmobile stage (maybe batwing too) and characters like Robin or the Penguin and more variation of gadchets instead of 1000 variations of the batarang.

I think Arkham Asilum was a good game, but really overrated. If they fix these issues, the sequel will be a fucking amazing game for me.

We now know of your uses, and they are few. Please never post about gaming improvements ever again.

Kid actually brought up Robin. Robin.

MoogPaul

DieH@rd said:
I just woke up, great news indeed. Hopefully TwoFace will be the main villian, and i want some sidekicks! Robin, Batgirl, Green Arrow!

batgirl was in the first one... sort of. At least the handicapped version of her was.

Guzim

SecretBonusPoint said:
Yeah, I don't like the Joker being in again. I wonder if thats a stipulation of using the license since post-Ledger, the Joker has become just as marketable character as Batman himself, if not moreso at the moment.
No, it's just the stipulation of using Batman's most popular villain.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
MoogPaul said:
batgirl was in the first one... sort of. At least the handicapped version of her was.

She could have playable parts were you wheel around, solving puzzles and shit, similar to the handicapped turtle in Sly Cooper. That would be fun.

For this game, they should try to use villains that didn't fit the mold of Arkham Asylum. Villains like Mr. Freeze and Catwoman have no reason to really want to kill Batman, so they didn't take part in Joker's activities.

If the reasons are different in AA2 - if Batman has to hunt them down for some reason - then it could open up opportunities to deal with them.

Bringing back the Joker was a dumb move.
I don't really understand why they couldn't pick another main villain.

They probably wanted to save time and money by reusing old character models. (cheap!)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MoogPaul said:

well there are many Batgirls , and Barbara Gordon aka Oracle in B:AA is a former Batgirl , the current one in the comic is Stephanie Brown ( yeah again )

but I think Cassandra Cain ( former one before S.Brown ) will fit the Batman AA sequel since she was Dark and awesome.

V_Arnold

RPGCrazied said:

It can be done.

This is a joke, right.
And SSFIV could have been DLC, too, right?
And screw those who cant download it, right?

The one lame-ish idea I'd like to see is that Joker is basically your oracle for this game and helps you stop the other villains (who seem like they're mobsters this time around). From the trailer it looks like Joker is still recovering from the events of AA and they could get into the idea where Joker cares more about "playing" with Batman rather than seeing him in die. Plus, the new gimmick they can use is Joker occasionally giving you false info to fuck you over, because it's fun and stuff for him. I dunno. I'm excited for the game because the first game was a blast, I just don't know how much Joker as the main villain/conductor would work as well as it did in the first game.

I'd also like for them to really tone down the titan stuff here. Bringing back Croc or Bane (or both) juiced up on the stuff for a big boss battle would be cool, but I think that should be the extent of it. It would also be funny that the two enemies you had a hard time defeating were back, stronger, and you were expected to take them down this time. It's like how in TMNT, the turtles got fucked up by regular Shredder, and then in the sequel they were expected to fight Super Shredder.

Zenith

Banned
esbern said:
too soon? do you fucktards hate video games or something?

"fucktards"?

The first game was already approaching Wolverine levels of repetition. 4 months and they're already making another one? Milking is far more likely than actually having enough new ideas to justify having it so soon.

Totobeni said:
well there are many Batgirls , and Barbara Gordon aka Oracle in B:AA is a former Batgirl , the current one in the comic is Stephanie Brown ( yeah again )

but I think Cassandra Cain ( former one before S.Brown ) will fit the Batman AA sequel since she was Dark and awesome.
Cassandra Cain is by far my favourite Batgirl, but I'm not sure she would fit this take on the universe (which is broadly a muscly/UE3 take on TAS) very well.

Zenith said:
"fucktards"?

The first game was already approaching Wolverine levels of repetition. 4 months and they're already making another one? Milking is far more likely than actually having enough new ideas to justify having it so soon.
I've got news for you: this was probably in planning/preproduction before the first game even came out. Do you think studios take four months off, twiddling their thumbs and back-slapping before they get going on the next thing that, y'know, financially supports them and allows them to exist? Modern Warfare 2 came out a few weeks back, and I'm sure as hell most of the Infinity Ward team is hard at work on their next CoD title.

Zenith said:
"fucktards"?

The first game was meant to launch in early Summer and was delayed by Eidos to take advantage of the fall season. A few people stayed on to polish and bugfix, the rest went on to another project which we now know is this.

This game isn't launching tomorrow. If it followed the same dev cycle, it won't be launching until late 2010 or possibly early 2011.

And if the game does come out earlier and it's good, is that really the worst thing in the world? Is it going to harm the first game, financially ruin Square-Enix, or give people leprosy?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Shake Appeal said:
I've got news for you: this was probably in planning/preproduction before the first game even came out. Do you think studios take four months off, twiddling their thumbs and back-slapping before they get going on the next thing that, y'know, financially supports them and allows them to exist? Modern Warfare 2 came out a few weeks back, and I'm sure as hell most of the Infinity Ward team is hard at work on their next CoD title.

That will come out in two years. Do we have a teaser trailer for IW's next CoD yet mere months after its launch? No, we don't. Unless RockSteady/WB plans to sit on this trailer until 2011, this game is coming next year. For any developer, the questions of milking and if it will be any good will be raised.

L-A-I-N

Neo Member
I really loved the first one and I am not even a Batman fan. The only problem I had were the combat challenges. I am not one for putting huge combos together I played most the game using stealth. So being forced to do combos sucked as far a trophy stand point. I really did want to plat that game I was never able to. No I am not a trophy person I just like to when I really enjoy the game. It is kind of my way of saying thanks :lol

I just don't see what there is to complain about given they haven't announced a release date or even a likely timeframe for release (I would expect it in June 2011, to be honest). And even if it did turn out to be a year turnaround (doubtful), would that matter if the game is great? I had faith last time out, and Rocksteady rewarded it. I see no reason to lose faith on the basis of an (awesome) teaser.

It's like L4D2 again... although no one complains about L4D2's rapid release anymore, because, y'know, it turned out really fucken good.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
theMrCravens said:
Bringing back the Joker was a dumb move.
I don't really understand why they couldn't pick another main villain.

They probably wanted to save time and money by reusing old character models. (cheap!)
Let me explain something to you guys. The Joker is the reason Batman still does what he does. He would have retired long ago if it wasn't for Joker and he knows that if he quits it's like the Joker saying "Toooldja so Ba-ts-zz!".

Gordon: Where the hell is Batman?
Joker: He's at home..... WASHING his TIGHTZ! HAAAAAAAAA-HA-Ha-ha-hahahahuhuhaaa

The real reason they are using him again is because the Joker sells way more Batman games than any of his contemporaries.

Top Bottom