• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Asylum Sequel Announced

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jet Grind Radio! said:
All of the Titan fights SUCKED. If they do bring it back, I hope for something very different.

Also maybe
Scarecrow
is going to be the big boss 'cuz of the ending of AA. I would like some of the Bat Family and a whole new crop of villians. As long as Joker the main villian.

Are you talking about the hand? Scarecrow, Croc, and Bane all had their hand show up randomly for people.

Atrus said:
I don't see how the VA could be bad with the TAS Batman voiceovers for Batman, Joker and Harley.
Kevin Conroy's performance was a little lackluster and Harley was annoying. Mark Hamill was awesome, of course.
Papercuts said:
Are you talking about the hand? Scarecrow, Croc, and Bane all had their hand show up randomly for people.
Wait, what? *checks Youtube* Interesting...

benjipwns

Banned
The hand that appears at the end
is seemingly random.
I got Bane, one friend got Croc, Jet Grind apparently got Scarecrow.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Dead said:
Driveable Batmobile please :(

You know what they need? A full on Batmobile game.

Have it play like Burnout Paradise, but crazier. You know, with all the Batmobile gadgets and shit.

Spike

Johann said:
It was the GTTV episode about comic-con. Near the end of the Darksiders/Arkham Asylum segment, he said this would be the last time he used the Joker voice. It sounds as if the game might incorporate any of Mark's difficulty with the voice into the story.

Yeah, but that was way before there was even a sequel greenlit.

It's definitely going to be Hamill.

Maybe a Batcycle is better. It's more maneuverable in tight areas, only way I could see the Batmobile being useful is if the city was really large

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ew, no vehicles! If Epic can't work out how to make a serviceable vehicle section in UE3, then I don't want devs wasting their time climbing the mountain for nothing!

No vehicles? C'mon, AA totally cock teased with the Batmobile. You know it's coming in the sequel. It's a logical progression if they're expanding the playing field. If they're going to do skyscrapers they should also throw in a full on Bat-glider somewhere in the last 1/3 of the game as well. The real question is whether they're going to do the whole of Gotham or focus entirely on certain districts.

DrBo42

Zenith said:
Booooooo. Way too soon.

And going by the cracked batman logo they're making it "dark". Ugh.

The Batman: AA logo was peeling and cracked as well. The original was pretty dark IMO, why would the sequel be different?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Zenith said:
Booooooo. Way too soon.

And going by the cracked batman logo they're making it "dark". Ugh.
Uh, since when was the first game not "dark"? I'd be quite terrified by someone who didn't find the first game "dark."

cuyahoga said:
Uh, since when was the first game not "dark"? I'd be quite terrified by someone who didn't find the first game "dark."
The better question is since when it Batman in general not dark? Anything else is a deviation from the norm.

Quasar

Kintaro said:
You quoted me with my edit in there. >.> Yes, I see that it is Joker and Hamill. They made such a big deal about Batman: AA being his last run as Joker too since doing the voice was starting to hurt him.

Really? That really bums me out...that we won't get anymore animated Joker from Hamill.

Cool. I haven't played the first game yet, but Rocksteady is a developer that deserves the success, in my opinion.

It is following on the heels of the original a little quickly... but I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just woke up, great news indeed. Hopefully TwoFace will be the main villian, and i want some sidekicks! Robin, Batgirl, Green Arrow!

SlickVic

Did they announce 2010 with the trailer? Could've just been an early announcement which to me doesn't automatically imply too soon. AA's ending was pretty much set up for a sequel so it wouldn't really surprise if they already had a good idea of the plot for the game while they were working on AA.

Now it's certainly possible they're rushing the game but I try not to assume the worst. Trailer was solid and I think Rocksteady can crank out a quality SP game with a 1.5 year turnaround (which would put it at early 2011).

Tesseract

Banned
Ogs said:
milking-a-cow.jpg

zme1qg.jpg

DieH@rd said:
I just woke up, great news indeed. Hopefully TwoFace will be the main villian, and i want some sidekicks! Robin, Batgirl, Green Arrow!

Please no. I like the current trend in Batman movies and games in which they are just about him. There's plenty of stuff to explore with Batman himself instead of mucking it up with sidekicks.

chase

omg batman! paint my throat with your batcum! /gaf

actually the first game was alright, much to my surprise. people here are still too nuts about batman though.

hamchan

DieH@rd said:
I also want an old man Batman vs Superman scenario. What we want though won't and probably shouldn't happen.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I will be interested in this if they cut down on the repetitiveness of the enemy encounters. There wasn't enough variety, and the titan fights, especially at the end, were just too much of the same thing over and over again. Also no pre-order exclusive level packs and console-only characters, please.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Please God, no.

Why not? It would be pretty cool having multiple characters to play as. If he means NPCs following you around, then definitely not.

That does make sense about Hamill, if you compare his Joker voice from the animated series to Arkham Asylum, his tone sounds very different and that's even in his more recent Justice League episodes. Age plays a part, but I do believe doing the voice of the Joker has taken a toll on him. If anything, AA 2 might be his last time doing the Joker seeing as how he's still the center villain and they'll probably pay him very well considering the first games success.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ninj4junpei said:
Kevin Conroy's performance was a little lackluster and Harley was annoying. Mark Hamill was awesome, of course.

Wait, what? *checks Youtube* Interesting...

The writing for Batman might have been lackluster, but Conroy was good as usual.

Q8D3vil

its okay for me if its like uncharted 1 to uncharted 2

and please no fucking titans this time ( more variety with the bosses )

Zenith

Banned
AA was dark but there's still plenty of room to go darker, or at least what game devs seem to think is dark (see Condemned 2).

cuyahoga said:

dark as in Empire Strikes Back syndrome where they'll give him a small fall from grace and/or have him lose a fight majorly to make him seem vulnerable. Strip of his gadgets for a level or something. and with the whole town getting ransacked by escaped inmates there are plenty of opportunities to make it darker.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jet Grind Radio! said:
All of the Titan fights SUCKED. If they do bring it back, I hope for something very different.

Also maybe
Scarecrow
is going to be the big boss 'cuz of the ending of AA. I would like some of the Bat Family and a whole new crop of villians. As long as Joker the main villian.

The first time fighting the titan was alright but they basically cut and paste the same fight repeatedly. I hope they do an open-world Gotham so there's some driving, but right now AA is basicallly a hub world with loading in-between.

Lyte Edge said:
Why not? It would be pretty cool having multiple characters to play as. If he means NPCs following you around, then definitely not.
For a couple reasons. First of all, there is still plenty of room to expand with Batman before moving on to other characters. They should focus on logical enhancements rather than fiddling around with characters with different move sets. This is doubly true if the game is planned for a 2010 release. Secondly, Robin and Batgirl are such easy characters to get wrong, and even if they're done well they're still lame compared to Batman. So why bother? I thought a handful of the designs in AA were already questionable (Imo hipster hoodie Scarecrow will forever date the game when people look back on it, and Harley Quinn's look was pretty stupid as well :p). I shudder to think of what contemporary Robin and Batgirl would be. Thanks, but no thanks.

Kittonwy

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
For a couple reasons. First of all, there is still plenty of room to expand with Batman before moving on to other characters. They should focus on logical enhancements rather than fiddling around with characters with different move sets. This is doubly true if the game is planned for a 2010 release. Secondly, Robin and Batgirl are such easy characters to get wrong, and even if they're done well they're still lame compared to Batman. So why bother? I thought a handful of the designs in AA were already questionable (Imo hipster hoodie Scarecrow will forever date the game when people look back on it, and Harley Quinn's look was pretty stupid as well :p). I shudder to think of what contemporary Robin and Batgirl would be. Thanks, but no thanks.

Well they totally nailed the design for Ivy, but I found the rest of the character designs to be off, the physiques for the male characters were way too steroid-driven, even Jim Gordon was huge. The game is a bit too comic bookish already, and I agree that adding sidekicks wouldn't be a good idea.

yurinka

Let's hope this time they don't put guys talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, during all the game. It was just irritating and boring.

I also hate this JRPG like this tons of conversations with generic characters (cops with a crappy modeled face) that doesn't add anything to the game.

It would be cool to see on-line co-op multiplayer, more environment variations, a batmobile stage (maybe batwing too) and characters like Robin or the Penguin and more variation of gadchets instead of 1000 variations of the batarang.

I think Arkham Asilum was a good game, but really overrated. If they fix these issues, the sequel will be a fucking amazing game for me.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So basically a large portion of the city was walled off and made the new Arkham? Interesting.

Not sure if want, though. Half the fun of the first AA was the HISTORY of the place. It just felt... old. And everything there was designed from the ground-up with security in mind. Not sure it'll be as much fun running around a section of Gotham.

The first one was great because it was genuinly a suprising quality game. It took many people aback I think including me who weren't expecting good things from it. I think the announcement maybe too soon... sure we don't know when it's out, but if it's not next year then why announce it now? I'll look foward to it but I'll try and keep away from media again because I'd like it to suprise me again.

yurinka said:
Let's hope this time they don't put guys talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, during all the game. It was just irritating and boring.

I also hate this JRPG like this tons of conversations with generic characters (cops with a crappy modeled face) that doesn't add anything to the game.
I loved those elements, in fact I'd be happy if it went further down the RPG'ish route

yurinka said:

It would be cool to see on-line co-op multiplayer, more environment variations, a batmobile stage (maybe batwing too) and characters like Robin or the Penguin and more variation of gadchets instead of 1000 variations of the batarang.

I think Arkham Asilum was a good game, but really overrated. If they fix these issues, the sequel will be a fucking amazing game for me.

You are everything that is wrong with video game consumers and their 'opinions'.

Maybe they should add some sweet customization too? Maybe online TDM? Fuck it, why don't they just make Gears of Halo and put an end to this mock attempt at actually being creative? Boiler plate quantity FTW.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
yurinka said:

Stop having opinions.
J/k, but please no co-op unless it's a separate mode I won't fire up once and no damn sidekicks.

yurinka said:

Dear Rocksteady: I love batman: Arkham Asylum... so much that I bought 2 copies (PS3 and 360). That said, If you listen to this guy, I am not buying this goddamn game, and I know for sure that others who bought the game after watching me play won't buy it!! That's around 10 copies! TEN!! MORE SHALL FOLLOW!!

If you want Robin, co-op multiplayer, no JRPG-like conversations, no generic characters and no variations of the batarang, I have a perfect game for you:

LEGO-Batman--The-Video-Game-1.jpg

You are welcome!!

Jocchan said:
I dunno, I think it has a 50/50 chance of happening.

Don't you ever go to sleep?!!!!!

Oh and I asked a goddamn question! Voice of Narrator for Dudebro: Heavy like Unreal Tournament, mid-ranged like the voice of Zeus from GOW, or a bit high-key like Nathan Drake? :p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
shagg_187 said:
Don't you ever go to sleep?!!!!!

Oh and I asked a goddamn question! Voice of Narrator for Dudebro: Heavy like Unreal Tournament, mid-ranged like the voice of Zeus from GOW, or a bit high-key like Nathan Drake? :p
I follow Dudebro's teachings and never sleep (it's 1 pm here, actually).
Hmmm... high-pitched like a transvestite that tries too hard?
We'll see, but this isn't probably the right place to discuss that :D

Top Bottom