• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

No_Style

Just wanted to say that I'm incredibly heartened to hear that you like it.

Just thought of this, but if you're looking for something jazzy, Uyama Hiroto is a good one. Very jazzy.

Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't my jam though. I usually like jazzy stuff but this didn't work for me. Feel free to post other suggestions though.

(Still listening to your album at work)

Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't my jam though. I usually like jazzy stuff but this didn't work for me. Feel free to post other suggestions though.

(Still listening to your album at work)
Have you listened to the Ace Attorney orchestral and jazz albums? Because they are amazing.

It's not just in the west, but even here in SEA it's getting increasingly more difficult to get by without an English name.

It's just the norm now, English names are easier to remember and it's also a good common ground for people from multicultural backgrounds.

It's not just in the west, but even here in SEA it's getting increasingly more difficult to get by without an English name.

It's just the norm now, English names are easier to remember and it's also a good common ground for people from multicultural backgrounds.

I'm gonna give my kid a name like mine or my brothers because to be honest growing up I wouldn't like a normal name. Sure I had to explain it multiple times but I understand if they never saw my kind of name before. Even though I have a short 3 letter nickname, I like having something different.

Hilariously enough I have a hard time remembering people's name but from experience you can guess an american born asian's name the easiest. For some reason I run into a lot of Jessicas and Michaels. Then you can work around and guess something like Sarah or Ryan. They don't pick goofy white people names like Ted. SEA americans can throw you in a loop because they sometimes have a name like Candy or something out of the ordinary lol.

I'm gonna give my kid a name like mine or my brothers because to be honest growing up I wouldn't like a normal name. Sure I had to explain it multiple times but I understand if they never saw my kind of name before. Even though I have a short 3 letter nickname, I like having something different.

Hilariously enough I have a hard time remembering people's name but from experience you can guess an american born asian's name the easiest. For some reason I run into a lot of Jessicas and Michaels. Then you can work around and guess something like Sarah or Ryan. They don't pick goofy white people names like Ted. SEA americans can throw you in a loop because they sometimes have a name like Candy or something out of the ordinary lol.

Oh yeah for the longest time I didn't want an English in school because I realize that the teachers tend to call those names first for volunteers lol.

There's a lot of Alex and Benjamins in Singapore...

As a kid I hated the first day of school because the teacher would always put me on the spot and ask how to pronounce my last name. To be fair, even other Chinese people are baffled by it because it's not only a rare Chinese last name, but the English spelling is terrible.

I actually contemplated taking my wife's last name when we got married but decided against it because 1) I'm the last of my line and 2) I'm lazy.

jasonng

I feel you, brother.

I once had a professor who would always call my classmates by their last names. When she gets to me she says Jason. I always thought it was funny.

SystemBug

if it ever came to changing my name and adopting and anglicized one i'd whiten my skin and get nose surgery too. dont wanna half ass it

and damn getting the name wrong sucks.

but yeah its much worse if its your first name. was at a job interview on monday, i had to repeat my name 4-5 times.

dohdough

Teachers never pronounce "Nguyen" correctly.

Noo-Yen. Easy!
kidding!

Because I want the best for us & our future kids.

Racist people will discount us once they see us in person anyway, but someone with an unintentional bias against "Asian" names will at least get us an interview and a better chance.

Besides, tons of immigrants do that to their names. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglicisation_of_names

For us the closest sound would be like Shog, but obviously that's not going to be the name because it sounds ridiculous so it'll be something else.

Or I may just go the lolroute and make it Reagan, because why the fuck not (which ironically also is the Anglicized form of the Irish surname Ó Riagáin or Ó Ríogáin).

We compromise ourselves everyday in this country by assimilating the culture, distancing ourselves from own own, staying silent when maybe we shouldn't, and sometimes not speaking up as loudly when we should, but if there's one thing they shouldn't strip away from us, it's our name. It's the legacy of all the struggles and joys of those who came before us and it's what we pass on to our children. Call me a romantic, but for me, part of doing the best for my children is raising them with a strong sense of self and pride in their heritage. Having the names of my wife and myself is a big part of that. Just my opinion.

Noo-Yen. Easy!
kidding!

We compromise ourselves everyday in this country by assimilating the culture, distancing ourselves from own own, staying silent when maybe we shouldn't, and sometimes not speaking up as loudly when we should, but if there's one thing they shouldn't strip away from us, it's our name. It's the legacy of all the struggles and joys of those who came before us and it's what we pass on to our children. Call me a romantic, but for me, part of doing the best for my children is raising them with a strong sense of self and pride in their heritage. Having the names of my wife and myself is a big part of that. Just my opinion.

I don't believe it would be compromising. Wang, for example, already is a compromise....

I wrote this in the Asian jobs thread. Here's the thing... most of our last names as Anglo approximations of our actual surnames. Mine isn't even close because Wade-Giles fucking sucks and people who don't speak mandarin wouldnt pronounce it properly anyways (which pretty much applies for every Chinese name because inflections matter) .. So my thought is that my Chinese family name would be preserved in Chinese and my Anglocized last name would be more in line with my lineage..

At least that's my two cents on the matter anyways

I thought about changing my last name using the Icelandic naming convention (dad's first name + son ... in this case Samuelson or Samson) since a) my current last name isn't even phonetically correct b) even it were, non Mandarin speakers would still get it wrong because inflections matter and c) my immediate family are the only ones in the US. If my future kid's educational and career prospects matter, I might just go ahead and do this.

That said...I'm not changing my Chinese surname and my kid(s) would still get proper Chinese names.

zeemumu

Did you... Did you just shift to embrace my position of just wanting to be considered "white"?

I don't know if the argument is about whether or not making yourself appear whiter gives you an advantage. I think it's about whether or not you should have to do that. And you shouldn't. You shouldn't need to want to be considered white just to make things easier.

Quick

Banned
Sup Asian-GAF. I keep meaning to post here, but I'm not sure I have much to contribute.

I'm pretty white-washed, tbh. I studied English from the get-go, and when I moved here, I blended right in. People think I'm born here when I first meet them. My name didn't need to be Anglicized either (Filipino), so it was a smooth transition.

I had a sort-of inner crisis back in college. I was having a chat with my friend and I caught myself referring to Asians as "them" - as opposed to "we". Might seem like a simple slip, but it made me realize that I don't particularly blend in with my own ethnicity nor with white people/people born here.

I do occasionally think about it still (not in like a sad dramatic way).

cdyhybrid

Sup Asian-GAF. I keep meaning to post here, but I'm not sure I have much to contribute.

I'm pretty white-washed, tbh. I studied English from the get-go, and when I moved here, I blended right in. People think I'm born here when I first meet them. My name didn't need to be Anglicized either (Filipino), so it was a smooth transition.

I had a sort-of inner crisis back in college. I was having a chat with my friend and I caught myself referring to Asians as "them" - as opposed to "we". Might seem like a simple slip, but it made me realize that I don't particularly blend in with my own ethnicity nor with white people/people born here.

Just remember that all the white people around you see you as Asian and not white and you'll be alright.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Eh, I'm a coconut as my friends remind me - brown on the outside, white on the inside. :p (growing up in rural IL will do that to someone, lol)

Quick

Banned
Just remember that all the white people around you see you as Asian and not white and you'll be alright.

lol yeah, this usually brings me right back.

It usually happens when I'm hanging out with my Asian friends or when I'm at a place with a lot of Asians.

I actually went back home a few months ago. I definitely felt like a tourist in my own country. Was chatting with a European guy and he immediately figured out that I wasn't from there.

Eh, I'm a coconut as my friends remind me - brown on the outside, white on the inside. :p (growing up in rural IL will do that to someone, lol)

I'm a Canadian Twinkie.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I was really young when my family came to Canada, so I really don't have much of a frame of reference for what being Taiwanese is like.

I can speak Mandarin, but reading and writing is a struggle. I know one phrase in Taiwanese and it's "I don't know what you're saying."

My siblings were older when we immigrated so they're super Taiwanese. Like, most of their friends speak Mandarin with each other, they watch Taiwanese shows, etc, etc.

I'm not really Taiwanese, and I'll never really be seen as Canadian. This kind of stuff really gets to me sometimes.

Zoe

Husband's family definitely identifies as Taiwanese. He was the only one born in the US, and they all speak Taiwanese (not Mandarin) at home. His father still goes back to vote in elections (for independence), and during this latest trip he was trying to buy some land back there (which all the children refused to take a part of).

Husband will say he's Chinese if he doesn't know whether he's speaking to a mainlander though.

BlueSteel

This was one of my favorite topics when I was studying in undergrad. The extent in which we acculturate is one of the key experiences of being Asian-American, and indeed, most if not all minorities.

Some papers that I kept on the subject can be found here, if anyone wants to read some academic psych papers:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ym6g4hjfpnlx2qq/AAD0NzD0tHvjc5ymcGn4hEvPa?dl=0

I think the beauty (as well as problem) is that we all decide how much of our two cultures to internalize/we negotiate our two cultures very differently. The downside is that we will look at how others are negotiating being Asian and American and, if our approach is different, question whether or not we're right or wrong.

Interesting stuff.

EDIT: We seem to have a proportionately large amount of Taiwanese here.

I don't know if the argument is about whether or not making yourself appear whiter gives you an advantage. I think it's about whether or not you should have to do that. And you shouldn't. You shouldn't need to want to be considered white just to make things easier.
I agree with you, but I also think the reality of the situation is that white is equated with normal. The good news, though, is that the definition of "white" seems to be malleable such that groups that weren't initially considered white can be added later.

Where I disagree with most people in this thread, though, is that I think it's a net good to be considered white in the long run, even though I know that it does nothing to address the root issue of systemic racism.

cdyhybrid

I agree with you, but I also think the reality of the situation is that white is equated with normal. The good news, though, is that the definition of "white" seems to be malleable such that groups that weren't initially considered white can be added later.

Where I disagree with most people in this thread, though, is that I think it's a net good to be considered white in the long run, even though I know that it does nothing to address the root issue of systemic racism.

That's the thing though - we're never going to be considered white.

I'm gonna be frank, I never wanted to be white. The reason was pretty crass but when I was growing, the asians I knew were prideful, like pretty much the AZN kind of asian. I grew up watching a lot of bootlegs of asian films and even bad wuxia dubs. Growing up I thought being asian was cool. And a lot of times we would have lots of laughs at white people, like them smelling like wet dog and grass for some reason. The white (and other races) friends took it in stride, pretty much we all took stupid shit in stride, though admittingly I have pissed off various groups of people when I was younger. Since you know asians also like making fun of other asians. But yea, I did a lot of dumb shit I regret.

In a way, I still find dumb shit funny, I still laugh at the Lethal Weapon sequels in It's Always Sunny for example, even though it's blackface and the like. Everyone chilled out as they got older, many people marrying into other ethnicities. Generally I think people should feel comfortable who they are, and others shouldn't step on their toes for it. I still make dumb sarcastic quips time to time, but generally I think people understand when something is sarcasm, though Gaf isn't very good at it.

Never wanted to be white or try to fit in with the white crowd, checking in. Asian, more specifically, Hmong guy and proud of it and also because we were Hood Asians and the whole stick with each other was our priority. The whole name thingy though..... I'm not too sure where I stand. My whole family has weird Hmong names and we all make fun of each other for them but we love our names. I was always ready when the teacher was about to pronounce my name.

Here it comes. I look at the faces of my friends, we all smile.
Teacher: Ca.... Urgh.....
Me: Right here. You can just call me *insert English translated name*
Teacher: okay!

Does that count as cheating? When my Hmong name can be translated into an English word?

If I ever have kids I would most likely choose a weird Hmong name. Keep the tradition and it sort of keeps them interested in their own culture. Then again if I gave them a non-Hmong name it does make their lives just a bit easier. But if you want to give your child a different name, then more power to you.

I also feel like a name is something that can define you. A strong name can have a lasting impression on you. Meanwhile a name like John or Dave is pretty boring. But then again it can go both ways. Meet somebody with a badass name but isn't that badass. Meet somebody with a normal ass name and they've done and have seen some shit.

Also, I finally watched The Arrival. It was..... Interesting.

Never wanted to be white or try to fit in with the white crowd, checking in. Asian, more specifically, Hmong guy and proud of it and also because we were Hood Asians and the whole stick with each other was our priority. The whole name thingy though..... I'm not too sure where I stand. My whole family has weird Hmong names and we all make fun of each other for them but we love our names. I was always ready when the teacher was about to pronounce my name.

Here it comes. I look at the faces of my friends, we all smile.
Teacher: Ca.... Urgh.....
Me: Right here. You can just call me *insert English translated name*
Teacher: okay!

Does that count as cheating? When my Hmong name can be translated into an English word?

If I ever have kids I would most likely choose a weird Hmong name. Keep the tradition and it sort of keeps them interested in their own culture. Then again if I gave them a non-Hmong name it does make their lives just a bit easier. But if you want to give your child a different name, then more power to you.

I also feel like a name is something that can define you. A strong name can have a lasting impression on you. Meanwhile a name like John or Dave is pretty boring. But then again it can go both ways. Meet somebody with a badass name but isn't that badass. Meet somebody with a normal ass name and they've done and have seen some shit.

Also, I finally watched The Arrival. It was..... Interesting.

Article on 2-28 Taiwanese Massacre
These are things I'm glad that are getting talked about more these days.

Why only choose one name? I have an anglo name and a Chinese name (both are used). All my Asian friends have two as well. I didn't know some Asian Americans would actually ditch getting an Asian name.

No_Style

I'm a Canadian Twinkie.

Haha... I've always used Canadian Banana. Maybe because I think Twinkies are gross.

Had an English teacher who married a Viet guy and called herself an egg. It was the first time I ever heard that term used. She did have a soft spot for Asians which often meant I was put on the spot at times.

I was born in Canada and was given a white first name and a Chinese name. I'm woefully ignorant of Chinese history and never had any interest in exploring it to be quite honest. I don't see eye to eye with many mainlanders and other "FOBs". Tried dating a few and it was always awkward. My ideal partner would be a westernized Asian who still retains a lot of the Asian values and taste in cuisine mixed with western sensibilities.

vern

I'm a white American dude and have a Chinese name. My Chinese name kind of sucks to be honest, my secretary at my first job in china named me and I didn't know any Chinese at the time so I just rolled with it. She said I needed a Chinese name for my business card. I kept it because it's "unique" instead of changing my Chinese name to a close approximation of my english name like most foreigners do. Most Chinese people call me my English name though
or 帅哥🙈
I don't know if I'm appropriating some culture or what, sorry if I am. I also like to wear Chinese style clothes sometimes. Hope y'all don't mind lol.

Article on 2-28 Taiwanese Massacre
These are things I'm glad that are getting talked about more these days.

Why only choose one name? I have an anglo name and a Chinese name (both are used). All my Asian friends have two as well. I didn't know some Asian Americans would actually ditch getting an Asian name.

I don't know. The answer can change when I'm older and when I do get a kid. But for now I don't know.

Fuck, having a modern life without a functioning phone is stupid. I miss having a phone since my phone died. Rip 2015-2017. I'm surprised it survived that long with a wonky usb port, tbh.

suzu

My parents gave me an English first name and kept my Chinese name in the middle. I don't have a particularly strong attachment to my name. Good for you if you do. Having an English name doesn't feel like I'm diminishing my Asian side or culture.

My surname would be gone anyway, if I were to take non-Asian SO's. (But I'm lazy so it's not happening.)

Y'all do you. :p

Top Bottom