• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

firelogic

I was born in Canada so I got an English name right away but my middle name is Korean. As is my last name of course. I'm happy with what I have lol.

clav

Trend is English first name, Asian middle name, and last name contingent on husband (depending on race).

If your father is non-Asian, you are usually granted your father's last name with a reminder of your asian heritage through middle name. Sometimes parents use hyphens to combine last names.

Some Asians have English names for all three usually due to social pressure of blending into white privilege. You can get away with established English surnames like Li -> Lee or Hsiao -> Shaw, or Kin/Jin -> King.

Article on 2-28 Taiwanese Massacre
These are things I'm glad that are getting talked about more these days.

Some people might be upset at the brief history section how control was "given back" after WW2. Still controversial as many view the period as an act of tyranny.

Nola

I've lurked in this thread forever, so thought I'd finally chime in for once...I'm Japanese-American (English/Irish descent), and also culturally Brazilian. My parents went the Western-Asian-Western route with naming. I love my middle name, Mayumi. It means "beautiful, true friendship" and my mom picked it to honor her best friend in Japan, whose name also happens to be Mayumi. Doubly appropriate! :) (Her friend's daughter is named Aozora, meaning blue sky, because their friendship is separated by the blue sky.)

My husband is Caucasian, so we're pretty sure our future kids will (unfortunately) not look very Asian. We're still planning to use Japanese middle names, but will pick something that isn't too tough for Westerners to pronounce. Right now we're considering Kai for a boy, but no ideas yet for a girl.

My first name is Nordic in origin, and my son's is apparently biblical (although it's far, far more associated with Mission: Impossible). I don't have a Romanized Chinese name, but I do have a Chinese name in Chinese, which I never use.

That's the thing though - we're never going to be considered white.
We're never going to be considered white any more than black folks and we need to stop thinking that we will. At least black folks are considered "native;" we'll always be perpetual foreigners.
I disagree, but I do think it will take a few more generations. To be clear, I don't mean being "white" as in completely losing our cultural identity, but rather I mean it as just being seen as the norm. It's like how we look at Irish-Americans or Jewish-Americans now; they still retain their cultures, but we'd consider them white, even though they weren't always considered white.

dohdough

My first name is Nordic in origin, and my son's is apparently biblical (although it's far, far more associated with Mission: Impossible). I don't have a Romanized Chinese name, but I do have a Chinese name in Chinese, which I never use.

I disagree, but I do think it will take a few more generations. To be clear, I don't mean being "white" as in completely losing our cultural identity, but rather I mean it as just being seen as the norm. It's like how we look at Irish-Americans or Jewish-Americans now; they still retain their cultures, but we'd consider them white, even though they weren't always considered white.

I'm not going to speak for the other person, but I knew exactly what you mean. It's not just about culture as Jewish people tend to hold onto their cultural roots more than any other white ethnicity. If anything, I'd say that they're a closer parallel to Asians when it comes to assimilating white culture while maintaining their own, but there's one main difference: we will never look white.

Becoming "white" should not be conflated with being seen as normal.

edit: The fact of the matter is that we already ARE normal regardless of how much or how little we assimilate. We're not as visible as we should be, but we're not some rare specimen of humanity.

I'm not going to speak for the other person, but I knew exactly what you mean. It's not just about culture as Jewish people tend to hold onto their cultural roots more than any other white ethnicity. If anything, I'd say that they're a closer parallel to Asians when it comes to assimilating white culture while maintain their own, but there's one main difference: we will never look white.
I know, and I think that's a huge obstacle, but I don't think it's insurmountable. I know looks are really important (can't spell "superficial" without "super," after all), but I do think we can break through that barrier in the long run, based on two things:

1. Other, now white groups, like Italians and Jews don't look Aryan either (where Aryan is defined to not include Jews, specifically, even) but still got in.

2. Media representation—albeit shitty for Asians—is slowly progressing in such a path, where Asian-American characters, as portrayed by actors like Ming-Na Wen, Chloe Bennet, Ken Jeong, Steven Yuen, etc., are indistinguishable from white characters, aside from looks, and even garbage yellowface portrayals, like with Emma Stone in Aloha, try to pass off that someone clearly white looks close enough to a mixed-race Asian. There are of course exceptions, like when a character being Asian is the focus or punchline, a la Fresh Off the Boat, but I feel it's at least trending this way. Oddly enough, the white-Asian couple in media (though usually white male and Asian female) is portrayed as more normal than white-black, even.

Of course, I don't expect change to happen overnight, nor do I expect it to even happen at the same rate for every Asian ethnicity, but I do think it'll happen. Socioeconomically, we are already close.

But yeah, whether or not it's a good or even desirable thing is debatable.

EDIT:
edit: The fact of the matter is that we already ARE normal regardless of how much or how little we assimilate. We're not as visible as we should be, but we're not some rare specimen of humanity.
Yeah, there are a lot of Asians in the world. I'm mainly talking about in the West, though.

EDIT 2: Come to think of it, are Russians Asian? I mean, don't we technically have a Russian White House now?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I've lurked in this thread forever, so thought I'd finally chime in for once...I'm Japanese-American (English/Irish descent), and also culturally Brazilian. My parents went the Western-Asian-Western route with naming. I love my middle name, Mayumi. It means "beautiful, true friendship" and my mom picked it to honor her best friend in Japan, whose name also happens to be Mayumi. Doubly appropriate! :) (Her friend's daughter is named Aozora, meaning blue sky, because their friendship is separated by the blue sky.)

My husband is Caucasian, so we're pretty sure our future kids will (unfortunately) not look very Asian. We're still planning to use Japanese middle names, but will pick something that isn't too tough for Westerners to pronounce. Right now we're considering Kai for a boy, but no ideas yet for a girl.

Heh, my nephew (born a week ago or so) is named Kai. :)

Hey what do you guys use to style unruly Asian porcupine hair? My hair grows upright straight out of my head on the top and sides, I tend to shave the back and sides because they're so uncontrollable and short length, then use Gatsby grey wax on top, but I really rub it in to overpower the natural rigidity. The only downside is it makes my hair look fairly frizzy, like afro frizz.

Isn't Skye/Quake in AoS Asian?

Yeah. I've been kind of watching AoS when Flash/LoT ends now. Don't feel like going back and watching the past seasons. All I know is that Quake has massive potential to be OP and I sort of hope they do make her OP as shit! Oh who am I kidding, lol. If they can't even make Flash OP then I shouldn't get too hopeful that other writer's can make another superhero OP :p

Also secretly hoping that we get Namor.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the GiTS shit. But I was reading through that thread and, are they serious about that movie? Ffs Hollywood, get your shit together.

zeemumu

Yeah. I've been kind of watching AoS when Flash/LoT ends now. Don't feel like going back and watching the past seasons. All I know is that Quake has massive potential to be OP and I sort of hope they do make her OP as shit! Oh who am I kidding, lol. If they can't even make Flash OP then I shouldn't get too hopeful that other writer's can make another superhero OP :p

I haven't been paying too much attention to the GiTS shit. But I was reading through that thread and, are they serious about that movie? Ffs Hollywood, get your shit together.

It'll probably be met with indifference by the average person instead of hate because most people aren't as attached to (or aware of) the source material as most of GAF is. I know next to nothing about Ghost in the Shell and wouldn't have been aware that they changed the character's name if that thread hadn't been made because I only know her as the Major.

It'll probably be met with indifference by the average person instead of hate because most people aren't as attached to (or aware of) the source material as most of GAF is. I know next to nothing about Ghost in the Shell and wouldn't have been aware that they changed the character's name if that thread hadn't been made because I only know her as the Major.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. Know next to nothing about GiTS but I do know two things about it. Motoko and the setting.

I read that, but I don't agree with its conclusion. If what he's saying is true, it demonstrates that other minorities already see us as their enemy.

To be honest, throughout my life, I've heard it all from everyone. I've seen hispanic assholes yelling shit about fried rice, a black guy imitating the ching chong sound, white people saying chink, etc. Other minorities think if they seen an asian, they had it good, not knowing the fact that groups like SEA have high poverty rates. I know from experience, I'm grateful my parents are who they are. While I was growing up, they try to make my life and my brothers as good as they can get it. We were on things like reduced lunch plans, no health insurance (We finally got some around when I went to highschool), my parents basically snatched up every overtime shift they could at the factory making radios and other communication equipment. People generally just assume we're privileged and shit, even though the high class asian family, with the nice house and things are a small fraction of the asian population.

So, I know I never really posted here except once or twice, but I just need an outlet to vent. Me and my fiance have been together for 6 years and we're going through a breakup/break, whatever, right now and I'm just a mess. I feel like I'm so lost right now, I got laid off from my job 6 months ago (oil and gas) and haven't been able to find work since. I'm surviving on savings, no job, no direction and no fiance. I moved out of our house for now and I'm sleeping on my cousin's couch. I feel like total shit and I just don't know what to do right now, this has been the worst 6 months of my life.

So, I know I never really posted here except once or twice, but I just need an outlet to vent. Me and my fiance have been together for 6 years and we're going through a breakup/break, whatever, right now and I'm just a mess. I feel like I'm so lost right now, I got laid off from my job 6 months ago (oil and gas) and haven't been able to find work since. I moved out of our house for now and I'm sleeping on my cousin's couch. I feel like total shit and I just don't know what to do right now, this has been the worst 6 months of my life.

I hope things look up for you. You have any plans? I know it might seem rough or sudden, but I think you should at least think of something. Any downtime that makes you feel unproductive will make you feel like you slide further in the rut, so just think of something. Even try your hand at writing or something, dive further into a hobby. I had a period in my life where I basically was jobless and basically living off the kindness of my relatives, so anything to bolster yourself will help you, trust me.

So, I know I never really posted here except once or twice, but I just need an outlet to vent. Me and my fiance have been together for 6 years and we're going through a breakup/break, whatever, right now and I'm just a mess. I feel like I'm so lost right now, I got laid off from my job 6 months ago (oil and gas) and haven't been able to find work since. I'm surviving on savings, no job, no direction and no fiance. I moved out of our house for now and I'm sleeping on my cousin's couch. I feel like total shit and I just don't know what to do right now, this has been the worst 6 months of my life.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the worst is over and you can bounce back soon.

No_Style

I'm going to echo SixMachine's advice and just find something to look forward or work on. Take it a step at a time and feel free to just vent. I often found it helpful just to tell my woeful tale to whomever would listen and in some cases, just onto a post that will never see the light of day.

I read that, but I don't agree with its conclusion. If what he's saying is true, it demonstrates that other minorities already see us as their enemy.

Woke my ass...there are definitely racial relations issues that need to be worked out between Asians and other minority groups. But to say that it's Asians that need to be "Woke" is extremely insulting considering the discrimination and hate Asian Americans have gotten over the years.

To be honest, throughout my life, I've heard it all from everyone. I've seen hispanic assholes yelling shit about fried rice, a black guy imitating the ching chong sound, white people saying chink, etc. Other minorities think if they seen an asian, they had it good, not knowing the fact that groups like SEA have high poverty rates. I know from experience, I'm grateful my parents are who they are. While I was growing up, they try to make my life and my brothers as good as they can get it. We were on things like reduced lunch plans, no health insurance (We finally got some around when I went to highschool), my parents basically snatched up every overtime shift they could at the factory making radios and other communication equipment. People generally just assume we're privileged and shit, even though the high class asian family, with the nice house and things are a small fraction of the asian population.

I'll never understand the whole, Asians want to be white thing. My mom and dad never wanted to be white and neither did any of our family friends. All they wanted was to carve out a living in the US.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I went through a period of dispair myself and my only advice is to get busy, find something to work on (even if it's something as trivial as working out...running...something). Any down time is going to make you dwell on things. This is a period and opportunity for self improvement and growth. Focus on that.... sending my positive thoughts to you man..

suzu

That has been kinda my experience (it's mostly from other minorities too). Feels bad man.

Since my roommate opened his new business, he's there 24/7 and crashing at a friend's crib that's closer than our apartment. I'm reminded of when I first moved out on my own and lived solo... a lot of NPR, documentaries, cooking, and quiet.

It's kinda nice at times, but it's kinda ronery at other times.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Isn't Skye/Quake in AoS Asian?

As well as Agent May

Namor has...weird rights issues. Rumor is Marvel finally got the rights back, but it was one of those weird way out there contracts from decades ago.

Reading OT whenever Asian threads come up should have made that abundantly clear by now, lol.

There's a reason I want OT2 to be "Schrodinger's Minority" (It'll probably be something food related though, admittedly)

every minority faces shit from all other minorities

FTFY

Oof. Hang in there - try finding something to focus on (even if it's a game night or something) and go with that. I saw that you're in school - so maybe concentrate on that or whatnot. <hug>

zeemumu

Oh sorry I just prefer to limit the amount of racism I have to be exposed to on a daily basis.

Too much racism is bad for your health.

That's why I had all of my friends switch to new Diet Racism! The same sweet ignorance of regular racism, but with none of the guilt or self-awareness!

1.jpg

Yeah, Namor has some issues right now :/ Hopefully the rumor is true. Now for DC to cast more Asians down the line. That's another reason why I want Choi in LoT. Time for some new blood for next season or mid-season 3. But I am really blanking on Asian heroes for the DCEU and Flarrowverse unless they change their nationality. Momoa looks badass as Aquaman though.

I know we won't get Kenan until his popularity rises though. Especially with how so many people view China.

I agree with the new OT title.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
But May's not Inhuman.

She's also like 10x more badass than everyone else in that show, lol.

OT2 should be Schrodinger's Minority

Or Schrodinger's White Privilege, though I have no idea how anyone can truly think this in Donnie Dipshit's America. We have tons of brown people being targeted, persecuted, etc, because people are fucking idiots that should have been condom'd years ago.

Off topic tangent on that-

"It's racist for you to want to live in a place with so many Asians."

Or my favorite, especially when it comes from other Asians - "There's just too many Asians, I don't want to live there."

Oh sorry I just prefer to limit the amount of racism I have to be exposed to on a daily basis.

Hrm, considering your role in the origin of this OT, I think OT2 will end up being Schrodinger's Minority. :D

Yeah, Namor has some issues right now :/ Hopefully the rumor is true. Now for DC to cast more Asians down the line. That's another reason why I want Choi in LoT. Time for some new blood for next season or mid-season 3. But I am really blanking on Asian heroes for the DCEU and Flarrowverse unless they change their nationality. Momoa looks badass as Aquaman though.

I know we won't get Kenan until his popularity rises though. Especially with how so many people view China.

I agree with the new OT title.

The one thing I give Marvel credit for w/r/t Iron Fist is that the casting call for Danny Rand was white OR asian. The guy who will end up playing the main villain was in the running to be Danny himself.

Honestly, I'm not that bent up about Danny Rand. He's a white guy, so he should be played by a white guy. Ghost in the Shell bothers me more.

Same, I think white Danny is okay. My beef is that Marvel has lame male asian heroes. The only one I truly like is Jimmy Woo from Agents of Atlas. Amadeus Cho was better before he was Hulk. Shang Chi is alright but I think it is lame that he is suppose to be the best hand to hand master in that universe but he still gets L's in those kinds of things. Plus, most comics don't make their powersets as interesting as they can be. Hokuto No Ken for example is a fantasymartial arts manga but he does insane shit like explode heads, healing hands, and jesus beams. I remember watching Storm Riders as a kid and reading scanlations of the manhua, it is wuxia so they do shit like kicking up tornadoes and sub-zero frost punch someone to death. I think the reason why a lot of asian males like myself gravitate towards anime and manga is because cooler shit happens in those while having someone of the same race.

On the topic of cool shit comics and manga, anime and cartoons have done.... I think the coolest shit I've seen was in Superman vs The Elite. People know what I'm talking about. That's probably the baddest I've seen Superman in a movie. Next would be Superspeed with the likes of Flash, AoS, and X-Men.

But nothing compares to the likes of a Bankai, Ninjutsu, Haki, Stands, Guyver Units, etc.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Same, I think white Danny is okay. My beef is that Marvel has lame male asian heroes. The only one I truly like is Jimmy Woo from Agents of Atlas. Amadeus Cho was better before he was Hulk. Shang Chi is alright but I think it is lame that he is suppose to be the best hand to hand master in that universe but he still gets L's in those kinds of things. Plus, most comics don't make their powersets as interesting as they can be. Hokuto No Ken for example is a fantasymartial arts manga but he does insane shit like explode heads, healing hands, and jesus beams. I remember watching Storm Riders as a kid and reading scanlations of the manhua, it is wuxia so they do shit like kicking up tornadoes and sub-zero frost punch someone to death. I think the reason why a lot of asian males like myself gravitate towards anime and manga is because cooler shit happens in those while having someone of the same race.

See, I'm South Asian so I just don't get any of that stuff. The closest thing I got is Kumar, lol. Considering the animes I've seen, I'd disagree on the representation bit; somehow I don't think Goku or Ranma would come across as specifically "asian", lol. But I don't watch much anime, admittedly.

Well I know that

tumblr_nq09mf8f5A1thj0xmo1_500.gif

But we were discussing the Inhumans show

Fair. Though if they had turned May into Karnak, would be zero complaints from me.

Fuuuuuuck...... My oldest brother is having the worst time of his life figuring Nioh's mechanics out, lol. I won't and will never backseat game so I'm just enjoying the rage and constant whining &#128514;

It's been quite entertaining to watch my oldest brother play Nioh, lol. He had a hard time with Bloodborne also. I'm honestly surprised that he is struggling so much when he was the one who would play DMC, Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden on the hardest modes and beat them so easily. I guess age is getting to him (nearing his late 40s).

What's the best type of meat to get in Pho?

4. Combination rice noodle beef soup with fresh eye of round $8.25
Pho Tai
5. Combination rice noodle beef soup with fresh eye of round & navel $8.25
Pho Tai Nam
6. Combination rice noodle beef soup with brisket navel $8.25
Pho Chin Nam
7. Combination rice noodle beef soup with beef ball $8.25
Pho Bo Vien.
9. Combination rice noodle beef soup with grilled pork chop $9.75
Pho Suron Nurong
10. Combination rice noodle beef soup with grilled chicken $9.75
Pho Ga Nurong
11. Combination rice noodle beef soup with grilled sliced pork $9.75
Pho Thit Heo Nurong
12. Combination rice noodle beef soup with fish ball$8.75
Pho Ca Vien
15. Combination rice noodles or egg noodles with seafood $9.75
Pho Do Bien Hoac (Mi)
16. Steamed chicken with rice noodle soup $8.75
Pho Ga Luot

There's no pho dac biet, with everything? Also, if they have banh beo, get that too.

That was part of top three I accidentally cut off I think

Traditional Noodle Soup | Pho
1. Combination Extra Big Bowl. Rice noodles beef soup with six differences; Brisket, navel, frank, omasa tendon & eye of round$9.75
Xe Lura
2. Combination special big bowl with beef ball.$9.75
Dac Biet & Bo Vien
3. Combination rice noodle beef soup with fresh eye of round, brisket, tendon & omosa $8.25
Tai Nam Gau Gan Sach
4. Combination rice noodle beef soup with fresh eye of round $8.25
Pho Tai
5. Combination rice noodle beef soup with fresh eye of round & navel $8.25
Pho Tai Nam
6. Combination rice noodle beef soup with brisket navel $8.25
Pho Chin Nam
7. Combination rice noodle beef soup with beef ball $8.25
Pho Bo Vien.
9. Combination rice noodle beef soup with grilled pork chop $9.75
Pho Suron Nurong
10. Combination rice noodle beef soup with grilled chicken $9.75
Pho Ga Nurong
11. Combination rice noodle beef soup with grilled sliced pork $9.75
Pho Thit Heo Nurong
12. Combination rice noodle beef soup with fish ball$8.75
Pho Ca Vien
15. Combination rice noodles or egg noodles with seafood $9.75
Pho Do Bien Hoac (Mi)
16. Steamed chicken with rice noodle soup $8.75
Pho Ga Luot

Don't see Banh Beo though.

Nesotenso

Honestly, I'm not that bent up about Danny Rand. He's a white guy, so he should be played by a white guy. Ghost in the Shell bothers me more.

Ghost in the Shell bothers me because the whole thing needs to be set in Japan. It is a Japan-centric thing. Whole thing falls apart if you take out the Japanese setting and try to westernize it with white people.

Top Bottom