• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

/cosigned

Hehehe Bunny got that cheating thread movin' this morning lol.

What did I miss?

I feel it is just a matter of time before Trump starts turning his attention to Asians with discriminatory executive orders. What's he going to do after he dealt with Muslims and Mexicans, right? He is always very negative about China too so that's a natural extension to his discriminatory actions. What do you guys think?

Honestly, with how much he hates the Chinese I'm literally shocked this hasn't happened yet. With the amount of Chinese immigrants for schooling and higher skilled jobs I'm shocked that "they're stealing our jerbs hasn't happened yet". Maybe it's due to the educational gap? But yeah, I thought there were be a lot more hostility than he has so far.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
It's weird to think that no one would care about what happens to you unless whatever was going to happen to you would eventually happen to them. I feel like you should care regardless of whether or not you're in danger of it happening to you.

But that's going off track a little. It's naive for anyone to think that they're getting out of this unscathed.
I wasn't saying I care not about the Muslims and Mexicans. Actually my post is kind of a PSA for minority people who might think they are immune to Trump's lash out.

zeemumu

I wasn't saying I care not about the Muslims and Mexicans. Actually my post is kind of a PSA for minority people who might think they are immune to Trump's lash out.

Oh I'm not referring to you. I meant in general because it reminded me that it does happen where people don't care until it affects them.

But yeah you're right that no one's immune to it.

zeemumu

Wick 2 was interesting in that I love how they zoomed out to a broader view of a really cool idea. Won't spoil it but I was fascinated!

I'd like to see it because I enjoyed the first one's plot of "Theon Grejoy fucked up. Go kick his ass."

I'm also duty-bound by a friend to see Lego Batman though.

The China is evil posts are getting old. I'm not a fan of the Chinese government either but it has done a better job creating economic growth for its lower and middle class while the US is consolidating its wealth in the 1%, squeezing the rest for their worth and pitting the economically disadvantaged, middle class and minorities against one another.

It's also odd that people still think China is a communist country given that it's one of the most capitalist nation in the world. If anything I'd argue that it's as rooted in Legalism as it was during the dynastic periods...but instead of one ruler, you now have a party.

:lol I just didn't see any thread bumped a lot so I was curious what happened. I actually laughed out loud though.

I find that if I think I aced the exam I end up failing, so better to have a happy surprise imo :p

This used to be me all the time too... Feel like I did well on the exam, get a 75... Feel like I failed the exam, get a 95. I could never understand why, unless more stupid mistakes?

No_Style

I just stumbled across Tina Guo's cello work on Spotify. Beautiful renditions of game tracks and other popular media along with original content as well.

She's also stunningly beautiful.

Anyone else have recommendations for other noteworthy Asian instrumental artists?

I've got a question.

Let's say you're hanging out with some people. Most of them are just acquaintances but everyone knows each other. They spend most of the time conversing with each other in a non-English language, but they can all speak English well. Sometimes you're asked something in English, but otherwise you're outside the conversation.

Part of me thinks this is fine, they shouldn't have to speak in English to accommodate the handful of people who can't speak their language, but at the same time I think they could at least try to include me in their conversation?

zeemumu

I've got a question.

Let's say you're hanging out with some people. Most of them are just acquaintances but everyone knows each other. They spend most of the time conversing with each other in a non-English language, but they can all speak English well. Sometimes you're asked something in English, but otherwise you're outside the conversation.

Part of me thinks this is fine, they shouldn't have to speak in English to accommodate the handful of people who can't speak their language, but at the same time I think they could at least try to include me in their conversation?

As long as they aren't talking shit about me I usually don't care.

I've got a question.

I agree with you, but I've also done exactly that before without even realizing it (sometimes). The are just people with whom I pretty much always speak one language with, where it feels weird to speak another.

Izuna

Banned
I've got a question.

You have to understand, sometimes it's not easy to talk about certain topics in a second language.

No_Style

I've got a question.

It depends. If they're just conversing amongst themselves, it's fine. It happens at work all the time where people talk amongst themselves in French even when I'm around. They will switch when they see me interested in what they have to say though.

No_Style

Thank you!

Cough cough if you're looking for instrumental tracks is it in bad taste to pimp my own album:

https://play.spotify.com/album/1DCI735LFuVaPWnI29HSkw

cough cough

I'm enjoying it right now. I like how Raindrops has a Donkey Kong Country vibe to it.

Will update with more impressions later :)

Edit: Listened to it twice now. It's a great album to work to. And many other tracks like Night Sky and Beneath the Canopy would fit in perfectly in a game like Ori and the Blind Forest.

BlueSteel

Thank you!

I'm enjoying it right now. I like how Raindrops has a Donkey Kong Country vibe to it.

Will update with more impressions later :)

Edit: Listened to it twice now. It's a great album to work to. And many other tracks like Night Sky and Beneath the Canopy would fit in perfectly in a game like Ori and the Blind Forest.

Just wanted to say that I'm incredibly heartened to hear that you like it.

Just thought of this, but if you're looking for something jazzy, Uyama Hiroto is a good one. Very jazzy.

Reitz said that when researchers of the studies cited above asked employers to explain why they called fewer Asian applicants, they usually received a response along the lines of, "Well, you see an Asian name and you know that language problems are going to be there."
Wow. WOW.

I mean, I'm not surprised about Asians being passed over because of their names, but I'm really surprised how these companies are just so openly racist about it.

zeemumu

Wow. WOW.

I mean, I'm not surprised about Asians being passed over because of their names, but I'm really surprised how these companies are just so openly racist about it.

Back when I was in highschool they'd be handing out specialized stuff for colleges but it would seem like the only people that they were given to were the Asian students with high enough GPA's, and me because someone didn't do their research and just took my last name at face value. Happened when I showed up to my SAT's too because the guy did a double take to verify that I was the right person.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you guys are Ninja Warrior/Sasuke fans and have Netlifx, one of the grand champions (Yuuji Urushihara) competed on an episode of Ultimate Beastmaster.

I wonder if this has anything to do with why so many chinese I've met make an american name when they come over... I guess it could be pronunciation or something but when no other people really seem to do it, I feel like it can't be that. I can definitely see people thinking of you differently if they see your name though. Say you change it from say Ying Li to Jessica Li or something I'm assuming the later they would assume that your family has been here a couple generations. Such a sad realization and kind of surprised that places were actually admitting something I think everyone kind of assumed. Stupid people are stupid.

I wonder if this has anything to do with why so many chinese I've met make an american name when they come over... I guess it could be pronunciation or something but when no other people really seem to do it, I feel like it can't be that. I can definitely see people thinking of you differently if they see your name though. Say you change it from say Ying Li to Jessica Li or something I'm assuming the later they would assume that your family has been here a couple generations. Such a sad realization and kind of surprised that places were actually admitting something I think everyone kind of assumed. Stupid people are stupid.

Little from column A, little from column B

My wife and her sister were forced to create American names for themselves in grade school. They were in an ESL class and I guess they thought it would help them assimilate.

Moonkid

Something odd happened this morning, thought I'd share. I've been remembering my dreams a lot lately and this morning I had one of meeting my family, that lives in Korea, on a plane. It's been over ten years since I've seen most of them. At one point I saw my granddad and greeted him which was when I woke up and began to cry. I'm not usually one for getting overtly emotional but I guess it was a bit of a whammy since I registered it as real at the time. I do miss them and I look forward to returning as soon as I get my NZ citizenship.

Had some dim sum today for Sunday brunch. How I love soup dumplings, that's next on my list of culinary techniques to master.

Something odd happened this morning, thought I'd share. I've been remembering my dreams a lot lately and this morning I had one of meeting my family, that lives in Korea, on a plane. It's been over ten years since I've seen most of them. At one point I saw my granddad and greeted him which was when I woke up and began to cry. I'm not usually one for getting overtly emotional but I guess it was a bit of a whammy since I registered it as real at the time. I do miss them and I look forward to returning as soon as I get my NZ citizenship.
Dreams are magical things. I know I've had some wild dreams that, when I awoke, compelled me to stay in bed and process them forever.

Don't fall too deep into it. They sell those Tsum Tsums as plushies. You'll fall down the collectible home and never return.

My wife is pretty addicted to that game. We have about 10 super sized Tsum Tsums taking up half of our couch. The majority of them are Marvel ones though, so I guess I win?

Top Bottom