• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 3 live streaming today at 5 PM EST

Aesthet1c

I guess I need to read up on the lore more before I play this game. I've only played 1 and 2 (skipped brotherhood and revelations). I vaguely remember templar talk in 2, but not to the extent you guys are talking about. It also might be because I'm not remembering the story very well.

Zeliard

Templars are a group of nutbag utopians who stomp all over freedoms in a dubious attempt at creating a 'better' society. Hard to sympathize much with them. More fun to stab them in the neck in the name of righteousness.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm kind of surprised they haven't addressed the fact that for an organisation that believes in individual freedom, the Assassins are engaging in a helluva lot of social engineering.

I do think that the storyline would be more interesting if they put the Assassins and Templars at opposite poles of a spectrum, and it wasn't clear that either of their world views were that great. But I feel like they're actively just turning the Assassins into the embodiment of liberalism. They've already abandoned/explained away the 'Nothing is true/Everything is permitted' creed as metaphorical.

I basically think it's going to be very disappointing if after all that Connor (and the subsequent assassins) just end up fighting for truth, justice and the American way.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't addressed the fact that for an organisation that believes in individual freedom, the Assassins are engaging in a helluva lot of social engineering.

I do think that the storyline would be more interesting if they put the Assassins and Templars at opposite poles of a spectrum, and it wasn't clear that either of their world views were that great. But I feel like they're actively just turning the Assassins into the embodiment of liberalism. They've already abandoned/explained away the 'Nothing is true/Everything is permitted' creed as metaphorical.

I basically think it's going to be very disappointing if after all that Connor (and the subsequent assassins) just end up fighting for truth, justice and the American way.

Well from what we understand Connor will be playing a more neutral position on the Revolutionary war instead of being pro-British or Pro-American so that is one thing. However, personally I find a lot of AC's story to be a bit hogwash. In particular AC2 towards the end where Ezio spares the popes life and gives some speech about how killing is wrong despite the fact that he had no problem killing tons of other people to get to him.

CrazyDude

Well from what we understand Connor will be playing a more neutral position on the Revolutionary war instead of being pro-British or Pro-American so that is one thing. However, personally I find a lot of AC's story to be a bit hogwash. In particular AC2 towards the end where Ezio spares the popes life and gives some speech about how killing is wrong despite the fact that he had no problem killing tons of other people to get to him.

Connor is for the colonial cause.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I've read that 'more often than not' he'll be working with the Revolutionaries.

And yeah, the game's story is kind of dumb. But it could at least be interesting and dumb. I have a suspicion it'll be tediously dumb instead.

CrazyDude

Nope. They said that there are templars on both sides.

That is true, but they said the he is fighting for the colonial cause. He is fighting the templars, and will kill them which ever side they are in, but he still supports the colonial cause. The revolutionary war was not caused by any side. However, both sides are trying to influence how things happen.

Mxrz

That's the problem with all that Assassins vs Templars stuff. Should've just kept it in the background, or maybe not made it so clear cut. Now every game/setting they do has it hanging over head.

CrazyDude

That's the problem with all that Assassins vs Templars stuff. Should've just kept it in the background, or maybe not made it so clear cut. Now every game/setting they do has it hanging over head.

Well that's the point of the whole series, the Templar vs Assassins. You can't have it in the background.

BUT WE WERE PROMISED!!!
:p
He's saying Ubisoft should stop being pussies and release HD footage online because this stuff is always going to leak so it's better to see the game like that first instead of these leaked jpg compressed youtube-esque screenshots.

I'll just repost this because, you know, ADD is a real pain these days.

ccXrA.jpg

Yea!

I'm here for you guys. Getting to the bottom of things... not really. But I tried. But looking into it, it's CrazyDudes fault. He took the unofficial ACWiki's announcement as fact! I say we kill him again!

Thats some bs. You think they would just put something out this week instead of holding off the same demo for e3.

You do realize that games are getting shown in lots of event months and months before actual public reveal right? It's just that you got to see a pic from one of the those events. You weren't meant to see it so be grateful.

Smo21

You do realize that games are getting shown in lots of event months and months before actual public reveal right? It's just that you got to see a pic from one of the those events. You weren't meant to see it so be grateful.

I guess I was wrongfully under the impression it was shown to the public at pax east. If these images are from a private showing then fine keep it under wraps till later. If it was a public event then I don't understand why they wouldnt release it.

http://gematsu.com/2012/04/pax-east-2012-preview-assassins-creed-iii

Some more info from the preview at PAX. Sounds pretty sweet.

“You can move around certain areas undetected. You can imagine bushes running along the base of a building, or here out in the forest, that allow you to line up your targets. As long as you move slowly, your assassin automatically goes down into a stealth pose. We think this leads to much more fine opportunities for players trying to take a stealthy path.”
I like more stealthy choices. :D

Man I need more info for this game. It's all I want to talk about...

I'm going to start replaying every AC game now. And I have been watching a lot of videos about the Revolutionary war. Wow, I never paid attention in US History before, I had such little knowledge about all of it.

I wont even explain how dumb I was about it...

Smo21

Don't know where to post this but I just got a call from eb games and they said I could upgrade my preorder to a special edition ( I live in Canada so this ain't those European version I guess). So I went to google and gaf an found nothing. Any word on this?

Don't know where to post this but I just got a call from eb games and they said I could upgrade my preorder to a special edition ( I live in Canada so this ain't those European version I guess). So I went to google and gaf an found nothing. Any word on this?

Yea I've been waiting for them to do this. So far no call here in the US. There are details about the editions somewhere, I believe there are 3.

Irish

I really hope the wait for E3 will be worth it. Too much text with not enough video this go-around, which is really the opposite of how they should have done things considering how much has changed.

Be glad that they didn't put what they showed at PAX online. I got a chance to see it and really dug it. But also realized that it would start a cluster fuck of people complaining about how bad the shit was.

Irish

I don't think we can really expect anything else from ACIII threads at this point. They are all guaranteed clusterfucks.

Top Bottom