• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 3 live streaming today at 5 PM EST

lucius

I think it looks good, just picked up AC:Revelations for $20 it is not as bad as some were saying, really fun the den defense game is not that bad, though I am getting kind of tired of killing all the bad bad Templars from a story point of view.

Tawpgun

As someone who saw ACIII in motion at PAX a few hours ago...

Don't worry, it looks amazing.

I was in the white hood defense force initially but I do realize it looks a little off when put against a backdrop of continental army soldiers all dressed the same. Still don't mind though.

The game is looking awesome.

Also, might be old, but they confirmed that there will be templars on both the British and the American side.

My guess is still that GW is
a Templar (he is a free mason and they are linked) with a different mindset than those of his enemies which is why he befriends an Assassin
. Fits in with what we've learned about multiple factions
joining forces

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My guess is still that GW is
a Templar (he is a free mason and they are linked) with a different mindset than those of his enemies which is why he befriends an Assassin
. Fits in with what we've learned about multiple factions
joining forces

Nah. I'm thinking
GW is neither a Templar nor an Assassin, but Connor decides that the value system of the Assassins more closely aligns itself with those of the Revolutionaries than it does of the British.

They've said that it's not colonists-assassins, british-templars, but they've also said that Connor sides with the Revolutionaries. So I'm thinking that the revolution is something that starts outside of Assassin-Templar control but which they both try and influence to their own ends.

Nah. I'm thinking
GW is neither a Templar nor an Assassin, but Connor decides that the value system of the Assassins more closely aligns itself with those of the Revolutionaries than it does of the British.

They've said that it's not colonists-assassins, british-templars, but they've also said that Connor sides with the Revolutionaries. So I'm thinking that the revolution is something that starts outside of Assassin-Templar control but which they both try and influence to their own ends.
Right but the fact that GW WAS
a free mason and isn't on the British side shows that not all Templars are bad or British. We may see colonists who are bad and of Templar alignment or British soldiers who are Assassins ad well

CrazyDude

a free mason and isn't on the British side shows that not all Templars are bad or British. We may see colonists who are bad and of Templar alignment or British soldiers who are Assassins ad well

And we don't know if the freemasons have any connection to the templars. So saying he was a mason means nothing.

And we don't know if the freemasons have any connection to the templars. So saying he was a mason means nothing.
My father-in-law is the master of the local free mason lodge (oh god, I'm one of those guys haha) and having been inside (not to mention you can find it on the web), a Templar Knight is part of their order according to their posters depicting mason ranks

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

We know
that there are going to be Templars on both sides, but we also know that Connor sides with the Colonists.

I think that there are going to be two things going on. The first is that Connor is going to be hunting down Templars, who may well be Colonists or Brits, but I think he is also going to help the Colonists fight the British.

But I think that those are two unrelated plot strands.

We know
that there are going to be Templars on both sides, but we also know that Connor sides with the Colonists.

I think that there are going to be two things going on. The first is that Connor is going to be hunting down Templars, who may well be Colonists or Brits, but I think he is also going to help the Colonists fight the British.

But I think that those are two unrelated plot strands.
Yeah. That doesn't dispute what I'm saying. I'm just guessing that the colonial
Templars have different views, ideas and goals which acts as a catalyst that starts the revolution. The colonial leaders surely have some type of inside knowledge of the TemplarvsAssassin goings-on and GW does end up with an apple. He doesn't have this much power and clout without Templar knowledge in AC fiction, I'm sorry.

CrazyDude

Templars have different views, ideas and goals which acts as a catalyst that starts the revolution. The colonial leaders surely have some type of inside knowledge of the TemplarvsAssassin goings-on and GW does end up with an apple. He doesn't have this much power and clout without Templar knowledge in AC fiction, I'm sorry.

It makes no sense for Connor to be working for a Templar. Just at the way the two are with each other.

jItDG.jpg

I find it hard to believe either one does not know who the other one works for. It's also possible the Washington will be an informant. I don't see him being antagonist, and doesn't make sense in terms of game timeline. The game end in 1783, Washington dies in 1799.

Irish

It makes no sense for Connor to be working for a Templar. Just at the way the two are with each other.

I find it hard to believe either one does not know who the other one works for.

Eh, Connor could very well be trying to change Washington's views. Just as Altair wasn't entirely antagonistic with the Templars, so too could Connor be willing to use his words to understand what the Templars are after and perhaps change their minds.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

His having an apple doesn't mean he's a Templar. Altaïr and Ezio both had apples. Perhaps Connor gives it to Washington for safekeeping?

I just don't see them making Washington into a Templar, firstly because then the motivation for Connor to be friends with him and fight for the Revolutionaries would be...convoluted at best, and secondly because they're not going to piss off their largest market by making a founding father into the bad guy.

CrazyDude

Eh, Connor could very well be trying to change Washington's views. Just as Altair wasn't entirely antagonistic with the Templars, so too could Connor be willing to use his words to understand what the Templars are after and perhaps change their minds.

Altair did not understand the true nature of the Templars for much of the game. So am I suppose to believe that while Connor is casually trying to understand GW and the Templars, he is also killing them. Am I suppose to believe the GW, who might be a Templar just shrugs it off as his buddies get killed?

And why are you guys using spoiler tags? It's all speculation.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Maybe I don't remember the first game very well, but I'm pretty sure that all the assassination targets in the game were templars and there was an achievement for finding and assassinating all the templars in the cities in the game? I'm not sure what part of all this indicates 'not entirely antagonistic'.

And why are you guys using spoiler tags? It's all speculation.
You know when one guy starts whispering, and then you start whispering too even though there's no reason to whisper?

Irish

Some people are worse than others. Take the targets in AC1, for example. Some thought they were truly helping people by guiding them along a certain path. Others were just plain evil and wanted to watch the world burn. The other Templars knew about the motivations of each and weren't all lovey-dovey with each other. Definitely an air of being business associates.

Connor can kill the straight evil ones and try to reason with the others in the meantime. It is not impossible.

CrazyDude

Some people are worse than others. Take the targets in AC1, for example. Some thought they were truly helping people by guiding them along a certain path. Others were just plain evil and wanted to watch the world burn. The other Templars knew about the motivations of each and weren't all lovey-dovey with each other. Definitely an air of being business associates.

Connor can kill the straight evil ones and try to reason with the others in the meantime. It is not impossible.

It doesn't take 30 decades to change minds. Although it would be interesting in GW became a extemplar.

I got so bored with the rinse & repeat nature of AC1 that it turned me off the rest of the series. But I'm very excited for this game. I love the setting, the art direction is beautiful.

Just gimme some gameplay footage!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think that Washington will be neither Templar nor Assassin. I think that Connor's relationship with Washington will be helping to win the war, not anything Templar vs. Assassin related. I felt like in the previous game there was a subtle realignment of the assassin's motivations to bring them in line with the values of the US constitution (Ezio mentions liberty as being the most important thing in Rev., and I'm pretty sure they've never explicitly put it into those terms before).

So like I say, I think there will be two confrontations going on. There'll be Revolutionaries vs Brits, and you'll join the Revolutionaries, and there'll be Templar vs Assassins which will more-or-less but not entirely match up along the Revolutionaries vs Brits. So you'll be mainly killing Brits and Templars, who are largely but not exclusively Brits too.

I find it hard to believe either one does not know who the other one works for. It's also possible the Washington will be an informant. I don't see him being antagonist, and doesn't make sense in terms of game timeline. The game end in 1783, Washington dies in 1799.
Uh, Ubigabe said we'll see Assassin's working with Templars and vice versa in the very video we got duped by yesterday.

His having an apple doesn't mean he's a Templar. Altaïr and Ezio both had apples. Perhaps Connor gives it to Washington for safekeeping?

I just don't see them making Washington into a Templar, firstly because then the motivation for Connor to be friends with him and fight for the Revolutionaries would be...convoluted at best, and secondly because they're not going to piss off their largest market by making a founding father into the bad guy.
But like I said, it's a new order of Templars who share views with Assassins this making that grey area all the more broader. Templars/free masons in todays world aren't bad guys and perhaps this is that turning point.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
But like I said, it's a new order of Templars who share views with Assassins this making that grey area all the more broader. Templars/free masons in todays world aren't bad guys and perhaps this is that turning point.

It's an alternate fiction. 'Today's world' in the game is the world where Abstergo are trying to launch a satellite with the apple in it in order to control the world's population. So the Templars definitely are the bad guys in the game's modern day.

Or at least, we're supposed to think that they are, because it's better to be free and live in wretched poverty and get stabbed than it is to be happy but not have FREEDUM. It's true because I read it in a book.

Ok, at 7:18ish, she says "so like totally like assassins and Templars could be like on the same side of the revolutionary war...?" And he says "totally definitely". I guess that's what I meant.

CrazyDude

Ok, at 7:18ish, she says "so like totally like assassins and Templars could be like on the same side of the revolutionary war...?" And he says "totally definitely". I guess that's what I meant.

Which doesn't mean they work together, they just happen to be on the same side. So Connor mass assassinate an American officer despite also supporting the colonist in the war.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i;'m not judging the game on the screens as they are ps3 screenshots. the past assassins creeds game haven't looked very good on the ps3 and the same applies here apparently.

why do you think the developers would choose to show a bad looking version? Comarketing maybe?

I assume that GW will try to reform the templars to work for the good of the people and Templars misconstrue his teachings for their own ends leading to their institutional evilness in modern times because ~*video game writing*~

CrazyDude

I assume that GW will try to reform the templars to work for the good of the people and Templars misconstrue his teachings for their own ends leading to their institutional evilness in modern times because ~*video game writing*~

Well even modern Templars believe they are the good guys.

The templars seem to turn more of a blind eye toward corruption, though.

And are more willing to involve innocents.

Honestly, it's basic comic book institutional villainy. It's barely different from what silver age shadowy organizations fictionally did.

Irish

Both the Assassins and Templars have the same aims, just different methods.

Okay, let's put it this way: I think there is a certain necessity in the idea of taking control for those who can't handle it themselves. As the Existentialists like to say, there is a certain fear of monstrous freedom. Many are apt to reject it, and rightfully so.

CrazyDude

Okay, let's put it this way: I think there is a certain necessity in the idea of taking control for those who can't handle it themselves. As the Existentialists like to say, there is a certain fear of monstrous freedom. Many are apt to reject it, and rightfully so.

Yes, however there is always the danger of the true nature of those who control.

Irish

Indeed. I'm just glad that Alex Hutchinson keeps bringing up the idea that the Templars aren't necessarily as evil as they have been portrayed as in the last few games.

CrazyDude

Indeed. I'm just glad that Alex Hutchinson keeps bringing up the idea that the Templars aren't necessarily as evil as they have been portrayed as in the last few games.

Well the Borgias themselves were bad people. I would have been hard to make them sympathetic characters considering what they have done in history.

Irish

Very true. But they didn't have to make every Templar be an evil person from history is all that I am saying.

linko9

Well the Borgias themselves were bad people. I would have been hard to make them sympathetic characters considering what they have done in history.

There have been plenty of sympathetic portrayals of Roderic/Alexander. If you ask some people, he really wasn't so bad. Most of the worst stuff you hear about him was probably made up by his enemies. And considering the adherence (or lack thereof) to historical fact that Ubisoft exhibits in this franchise, they really could have done whatever they wanted with him.

CrazyDude

There have been plenty of sympathetic portrayals of Roderic/Alexander. If you ask some people, he really wasn't so bad. Most of the worst stuff you hear about him was probably made up by his enemies. And considering the adherence (or lack thereof) to historical fact that Ubisoft exhibits in this franchise, they really could have done whatever they wanted with him.

True.

Top Bottom