• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari Jaguar must haves

Rocksteady33

jarrod said:
I wonder if they'll eventually add the Atari systems to the Virtual Console? It'd be nice to get Rayman 1 on there...

Eh, I'd much rather them do Game Boy Advance, and just port the port over, that way they could release more good games, rather then on the Jaguar where we'd see about 5 to 10 ok games.

What a state that fighting genre was in there for a while.....

I was just saying to myself, "I was sure that game was called Tattoo Assassins and it never made it past arcade beta". Yet it turns out to be a totally different photocapped graphic fighter.

jarrod

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
Eh, I'd much rather them do Game Boy Advance, and just port the port over, that way they could release more good games, rather then on the Jaguar where we'd see about 5 to 10 ok games.
Doesn't have to be either/or... both would be rather simple.

Also, the GBA Rayman port sux. I'd take the Jag original in a heartbeat.

Ruud_Luiten said:
Atari Jaguar must haves

That is an oxymoron.

BTW, I did buy an Atari Jaguar . . . I think I was doing it with nationalistic pride . . . hoping the USA would be able to get back into the videogame market. What a total bomb. It would be 10 years until the USA would have a real succesful console (xbox 360). (The xbox was cool for consumers, but ultimately it was a big money loser for MSFT. It looks like the xbox 360 may actually be profitable.)

Pimpbaa

Ruud_Luiten said:
In 1994 I sold the SNES with mana, mariokart, simcity, mario allstars, zelda so I could buy an Atari Jaguar with Cybermorph.
I thought I had it all, next-gen, best controller, best support, brightest future... etc.

Roofles, sold your SNES for a Jaguar. How stupid could you be? I sold my SNES for the 3DO. It's bound to to start selling like hotcakes very soon.

J-Rzez

Don't forget the blood for Kasumi Ninja stayed on the ground throughout the entire round... I also remember there was a "pay-number" to find out when the newest Jag games would be released... and, then there were the plastic overlay cards to put over the telephone pad built into the bottom of the controller... for AVP, you got 3 different ones to help map out the buttons, pretty neat... :lol

Tempest 2000 was incredible fun... the music was HAWT!!!
Alien Vs. Predator was amazing for it's time
Cybermorph which came with the console was, um, never-ending basically...
Iron Soldier was a good mech game for it's console times...
Dino Dudes was alright...

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Pimpbaa said:
Roofles, sold your SNES for a Jaguar. How stupid could you be? I sold my SNES for the 3DO. It's bound to to start selling like hotcakes very soon.

I don't care what you say. 3DO had Need for Speed, Bust a Move, Super Street Fighter 2, Wing Commander 3, Samurai Shodown, Out of This World, and THE BEST VERSION of Star Control 2. Oh, and it had one of the best CD visualizations that I'd seen.

(the controller sucked, but so did the Jaguar's, so nyah.)

dankir

Wasn't Tempest the only good game released for the Jaguar? I mean that helped spawn Geometry Wars and soon to be Space Giraffe no?

sprocket

Banned
Best Game ever made for the jaguar .

evolutiondinodudesv.jpg

jluedtke

Hunter D said:
Self-ownage at its finest.

I may have done worse: I sold a Turbo Duo, Turbo Express, TurboGrafx-16, and about 40 games for a Jaguar and a copy of Dino Dudes. Worst decision ever. It took me years to get my Turbo collection back.

RavenFox

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Kasumi Ninja, it may be a totally shit Mortal Kombat rip off but it does have a Scottish warrior called Angus who lifts his Kilt up and shoots fireballs at you from his nether-regions;

kasumi_ninja.jpg
I remember this lol:lol

DJ Sl4m

Aliens vs Predator
Bubsy (the SNES and Genny versions weren't as good as this one)
Dino Dudes (kinda like Lemmings)
Doom
Raiden
Tempest 2000
Trevur McFur (side scrolling shooter, I'm a sucker for shooting games)
Rayman

Surely with these great games, the console couldn't be topped.

Rocksteady33

DJ Sl4m said:
Bubsy (the SNES and Genny versions weren't as good as this one)

They aren't the same games, Bubsy In Fractured Furry Tales on Jaguar is a stand alone title exclusive to the system. Bubsy and Bubsy II were released only on the SNES and Genesis.

There's something about Towers II that caught my attention when I was a teenager. It was rare to see this type of game on a console at the time, and it's surprising that they chose the Jaguar to port the game to. It's the only RPG for the system and I love it that you can use a broom as your first weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOVRC8gkOTU

Also, Flashback: The Quest for Identity was released for pretty much every gaming system in the 90s. Fortunately, the Jaguar got a really good port and considering the small gaming library for the system, it stands out as one of its best games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhXJ2cFsrAE

Pimpbaa

How does one manage to bump a thread this freaking old? I mean this thread was created a month after the PS3 was released.

What's with these junior necro bumps? And this one is particularly rancid.....06' lol. Probably a bad idea man.

Anyway before it's locked I have always dreamed of buying one just for Tempest 2000. I bet I would enjoy the hell out of that game today.

cs060mk2

You could just as well get it for the Sega Saturn, but the Atari Jaguar version has a secret spinner mode if you get a hacked spinner for the Jaguar.

Bubba77

I too hastily sold my snes for a jaguar. The game i wanted was alien vs predator and i was not dissapointed. Its really the only game that i loved for the system. As I am now a retro collector of sorts I keep looking for a cheap jaguar but havent found it as cheap as I want it yet.

7threst

I have one but never ever play it anymore. Tempest is definitely great though. And Kasumi Ninja, if only for the already mentioned awesome Scot!

Magnus

I don't understand the thread title joke. It says Jaguar must haves. Then the OP is about Jaguar must haves. What's the joke?

Raistlin

Can't believe the OP didn't list Iron Soldier.

My top 5 in no particular order:
AVP
Doom
Tempest 2000
Iron Soldier
Rayman

hiphopcr

I also dedicated a lot (too many years) to the Jaguar and missed out on the PS1 as a result.

The only Jaguar game that would hold up nowadays is Tempest 2000. I can't imagine it still wouldn't be heart pounding.

Some of it's more heralded games like Iron Soldier and Alien Vs. Predator would be absolute jokes nowadays. But at least it had one of the best console versions of Doom.

What an pile of crap that game library was :(

Top Bottom