• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland |OT| Shin Rorona Tensei

Preordered this while it was on sale on Amazon.ca. It will be a bit before I play it though, I still need to finish Escha and Logy.

That's good, because based on my past experience with Atelier games on Amazon.ca, it'll take a while for them to ship it to you!

(I also pre-ordered from Amazon.ca despite this because OMG E3 deal.)

Pre-ordered this yesterday.
Had a good time with the original. Platinum and everything.
Though, I probably won't be playing this anytime soon.
Gotta start Totori sometime.

Shizuka

I'm getting this day one, got a $50 PSN card just for this. By the way, any word on the price for the Vita version?

Eusis

Mana-Khemia is not a separate series from Atelier. Shallie seems to pretty much be a Mana-Khemia though. No time limit, chapters, Burst Gauge...

Who is then? Source?
I wonder if maybe it's just recycling the NISA localization job but with the new stuff localized internally? That'd make sense to me if Gust didn't actually rewrite the game.

enoki

The OT caught my attention. I bought Atelier Rorona awhile back from a buy 2, get 1 free sale and I havent yet started it, how does it compare to MegaTen?

I'm getting this day one, got a $50 PSN card just for this. By the way, any word on the price for the Vita version?

I wanna say 40 dollars. Can't find an official announcement for that but that has been the price for Totori+ and Meruru+ when they first launched.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
How hyped am I for this release?

SO HYPED!

It's so wonderful Rorona is getting a revamped version and not just a simple port. It's gonna make this so much more comparable with the other two without being the odd one out. Plus all the features! Woooooooooo!

HkMg62N.gif

Quixzlizx

Nice OP. I don't see the Vita version up for pre-order on the store yet. I hope Sony has a buy $50 get $10 deal coming up.

Shizuka

Why do you say that? I bought the Vita version during the PSN sale but haven't gotten around to it yet.

A huge part of the game is time management and it's really strict in Rorona. If you don't get used to working with time fast in Rorona, chances are you'll need another playthrough to get things right.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
A huge part of the game is time management and it's really strict in Rorona. If you don't get used to working with time fast in Rorona, chances are you'll need another playthrough to get things right.

I lost the first time I played Rorona. Got to the 3rd year and saved myself into a point where I could not go back, and had to start over with New Game +.

But it was my very first experience with the Atelier series and for whatever reason I felt compelled to try again, probably because I could really see the mistakes I had made with the time management. It was so satisfying when I finally beat it. :)

Christhor

The OT caught my attention. I bought Atelier Rorona awhile back from a buy 2, get 1 free sale and I havent yet started it, how does it compare to MegaTen?

The OT title is just a play of words, as Atelier Rorona Plus was named Shin Rorona no Atelier in Japan. The only similarities to anything MegaTen related, would be the time management and Persona 3/4. But the time management is still fundamentally different from those games. If you're wanting something similar to any of the Shin Megami Tensei games, you'll definitely be disappointed.

I had a blast with Totori, but I probably won't get around to playing this until next year. Seems like this is the kind of series I could easily get burned out on with so many entries already out, so I'm taking it slow before I jump into Meruru and then this.

Super excited to eventually understand all the references and characters that were talked about by the Rorona crew in Totori, though.

Rarutos

I wonder if maybe it's just recycling the NISA localization job but with the new stuff localized internally? That'd make sense to me if Gust didn't actually rewrite the game.

That's probably exactly the case. Acttil has been doing all of Gust's stuff for T-K so I just assumed, basically.

Stuart444

Great OT, this is why you do the OTs usually. :p

If Shop to are as good as usual, should have it by Thursday (Wed if I'm lucky like with Neptunia PP which came 2 days early :D ), can't wait for it :D

Rarutos

Oh so that's what acttil has been up to? That's interesting.

Well, I could be wrong. I'm not sure if they worked on the Plus games or not since it was only confirmed they did Escha & Logy...

Stuart444 said:
Great OT, this is why you do the OTs usually. :p
Thanks Stuaten-san! And the other people who complimented the OT as well~

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Pre-ordered but still kinda on the edge since $50 seems alil high for a same-gen remake. I get that there's new stuff but still! I take it real nice LE's are forever dead to this series since TK's taken over? Plus they keep pumping 'em out, no love or care they're just a machine! @_@

enoki

The OT title is just a play of words, as Atelier Rorona Plus was named Shin Rorona no Atelier in Japan. The only similarities to anything MegaTen related, would be the time management and Persona 3/4. But the time management is still fundamentally different from those games. If you're wanting something similar to any of the Shin Megami Tensei games, you'll definitely be disappointed.

Ah, thanks! I still think the alchemy-focused gameplay sounds fun, which is why I picked it up, but I just haven't been in the mood to play it yet.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I have all of the Atelier games (well pretty much all Gust games since the PS2 era) but have not started any of the PS3 ones. I was FINALLY all set to start Rorona last month during my holidays and find out about this version! lol guess I can wait yet another month... the new character models are such an improvement I don't want to be playing the inferior version for the first time at this point

Verelios

Any word on how large the file is for Vita? My card is completely spent. I'll have to delete Rayman if its over 2 gb, and judging by Totori and Meruru it might be.

I got to try about 20 minutes of gameplay at MCM Expo and it felt really good : ) clearly been designed to be a bit more friendly to those who are new to the series while also making it look much nicer overall. I wish I could remember more about what I played in comparison to the original. I traveled to the first area and it felt pretty different to how I remembered it, certainly all the Arland areas looked much better in comparison to the original.

Started Rorona years ago, but put it down and got a bit lost as to where I was on my save. May as well start over again. trying to decide if I should go PS3 or Vita hmm

Vylash

Mana-Khemia is not a separate series from Atelier. Shallie seems to pretty much be a Mana-Khemia though. No time limit, chapters, Burst Gauge...

Who is then? Source?

I'm not sure who's doing the actual localization, but I talked to Actill PR and was told they weren't handling it, might be straight up TK this time, though I don't think it's all that important

Any word on how large the file is for Vita? My card is completely spent. I'll have to delete Rayman if its over 2 gb, and judging by Totori and Meruru it might be.

Around 2.8 gb if the size doesn't get bloated

Going by the file sizes of the Japanese versions (so I guess add a bit more for the localization and dub probably)

PS3: 4.2 GB
Vita: 2.8 GB

Coxy

That's probably exactly the case. Acttil has been doing all of Gust's stuff for T-K so I just assumed, basically.

I dont think Acttil has done anything but Escha and Logy and it was a notably lower quality localisation :/

Shizuka

I dont think Acttil has done anything but Escha and Logy and it was a notably lower quality localisation :/

And so I've heard. Point is, they were probably cheap to hire for a localization than NISA itself, like it happened with Ayesha.

CrovaxPSO

Slightly off-topic, but how much would I miss out on by playing the PS3 versions of the other Atelier games instead of the Plus versions on the Vita? I prefer to have physical copies of games so I'm kind of bummed that none of the updated versions got retail releases (on Vita), but I'm interested in finally trying out the series.

Shizuka

Slightly off-topic, but how much would I miss out on by playing the PS3 versions of the other Atelier games instead of the Plus versions on the Vita? I prefer to have physical copies of games so I'm kind of bummed that none of the updated versions got retail releases (on Vita), but I'm interested in finally trying out the series.

Not much, to be completely honest. There isn't enough new content that'd make worth double dipping or going digital for it, if you're into retail games.

Eusis

Some extra endings and other goodies, and you'll also need to buy the DLC separately. Probably best to think of it akin to LotR Extended Editions, you get a bit more but most of the experience is still there... though I haven't played the Plus versions yet.

With the exception of Rorona, which is a full on remake with a bunch of enhancements, not much. The other Plus games are pretty similar to the Disgaea Vita games in that they're the all-the-DLC edition and also portable and that's about it.

CrovaxPSO

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably go with the PS3 versions since it doesn't look like there's any new significant content in the Plus releases.

Vylash

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably go with the PS3 versions since it doesn't look like there's any new significant content in the Plus releases.

As someone else said, there are some bonus endings, but i think you might be able to just find those on youtube? I dunno, I don't look up Atelier stuff there

ohlawd

They run better so that's a major plus.

As someone else said, there are some bonus endings, but i think you might be able to just find those on youtube? I dunno, I don't look up Atelier stuff there

Not for Totori Plus. That one doesn't add shit.

Fucking Mario Kart 8. I was planning on playing Meruru Plus but that trash game came out and it was all played. 9 days isn't enough time for me (from now to Rorona) to plat Meruru even though I've done it before on PS3.

I think I'll start on Meruru Plus after I'm done with Rorona Plus. Fucking Mario Kart 8 fucked everything up!!@!@@!@

Rarutos

I'm not sure if the localization quality is lower so much as they didn't give it enough QA time... I liked the localization for the most part, it just had a lot of mistakes that QA somehow missed...

time to buy a $50 PSN card. been waiting for this for a while. too bad i didn't had the time to plat meruru before playing this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I would finish P3P before this comes out so I can get some free time for this.

Though the smarter thing would be to finish my vita backlog first but what's the fun in that?

how are the recent plus games on vita?

i picked up totori+ and while the image quality is great, the framerate is all over the place, and loading into battles could be quicker. Also UI is tiny. they didn't bother resizing for the smaller screen :(

Hmm. The US PSN store now gives a release date of 22 July for this (https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...land/cid=UP4108-PCSE00466_00-ATELIERPARENTPRD).

Think this may be a mixup though (they've also released 1 of the 4 costumes you get for buying it in the first month but by itself and only for the Vita (https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ette/cid=UP4108-PCSE00466_00-SPECIALFREE00002)).

Maybe the package that's supposed to go live when the 4 week bonus pack ends (the dates line up and it's only visible because its linked to via the accidentally released costume).

Since I missed Rorona the first time around I'm going all in on this one.

Also gonna pick up Ayesha then Escha & Logy as well. Already played and was defeated by Totori and beat Meruru.

Shizuka

Hmm. The US PSN store now gives a release date of 22 July for this (https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...land/cid=UP4108-PCSE00466_00-ATELIERPARENTPRD).

Think this may be a mixup though (they've also released 1 of the 4 costumes you get for buying it in the first month but by itself and only for the Vita (https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ette/cid=UP4108-PCSE00466_00-SPECIALFREE00002)).

Maybe the package that's supposed to go live when the 4 week bonus pack ends (the dates line up and it's only visible because its linked to via the accidentally released costume).

Costume stealth release confirmed.

Uthred

So whats the recommended play order in terms of story? Rorona+ (until the end of the original scenario) -> Totori+ -> Meruru+ -> Back to Rorona+ for the time travel bit?

Is there a full list of what games save gets you what bonus?

Top Bottom