• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland |OT| Shin Rorona Tensei

Picked this game up last night for my Vita. I've completed the first kingdom task with 19 days to spare. I've additionally completed the bingo thingy and Rorona and Cory are both level 6. I suppose at this point I'll just kill time exploring the areas which have opened for me.

All that is to say that I'm really enjoying my time with this game. I wish someone had expressed to me how much I would like these games sooner. Once I've finished a New Game+ playthrough of this one, I'll be looking into getting the other Plus titles on the Vita.

It's only Totori and Meruru correct?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Picked this game up last night for my Vita. I've completed the first kingdom task with 19 days to spare. I've additionally completed the bingo thingy and Rorona and Cory are both level 6. I suppose at this point I'll just kill time exploring the areas which have opened for me.

All that is to say that I'm really enjoying my time with this game. I wish someone had expressed to me how much I would like these games sooner. Once I've finished a New Game+ playthrough of this one, I'll be looking into getting the other Plus titles on the Vita.

It's only Totori and Meruru correct?

For this particular trilogy yes.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So in the mines and catacombs, my bombs won't blow up the rubble blocking the path. Is it because they need to be higher quality or do I need to use specific bombs?

m@cross

I often only have an hour or so to play a game in the evening, most of my current RPGs crawl int hat short of a window. Any chance this game is different? Also what is the average total play through time?

Vylash

I often only have an hour or so to play a game in the evening, most of my current RPGs crawl int hat short of a window. Any chance this game is different? Also what is the average total play through time?
My first playthrough took me about 15 hours, but i already knew what i was doing and how the mechanics worked so there's that

Lockon

Need an answer about Elixir. I thought Elixir supposed to have KO recovery effect? But I guess not for this version? I have HP Rec XL, HP Healing L, and Ailment Rec. on mine.

Need an answer about Elixir. I thought Elixir supposed to have KO recovery effect? But I guess not for this version? I have HP Rec XL, HP Healing L, and Ailment Rec. on mine.

You can, but it varies based on ingredients. Depending on what you use you can get aliment recovery or KO recovery, IIRC.

Finally getting around to putting in some quality time with Shin Rorona Tensei. I forgot how likeable Rorona was at the beginning of the trilogy, when she was just an insecure girl and not a) an insane moron or b) ten years old. Pretty sure I'm already doing better than I ever did in the original Rorona, though the optional quests and the rewards for doing them are probably helping with that. The combat is so simplistic compared to more recent Atelier games, though, that it puts me to sleep sometimes. And boy do I not miss the bit where if you don't bring the right bomb to the party, you'll just waste munitions trying to blow up some stupid rock in a dungeon.

ohlawd

Slap on Spiritflower Energy (increased max HP + KO Recovery) from Dunkelheits to Nectar then use that for Elixir.

Keep the ailment recovery.

can you miss those front requests for Cordelia's flag? I've only gotten 3 so far (cotton flower was last) and I haven't seen any requests from her again and im in 1/1 y3. I already did the broken item thingy though but that was way back.

squall211

Anyone have any good tips on what to submit for the last assignment? I can't seem to get the progress bar to fill up all 10 stars.

ohlawd

You don't need to fill in all 10 stars :p

What have you tried? Should work if you hand in a high level, high quality item with good traits.

Think I handed in a 120 quality Spring Cup with no traits sitting in my container and got 6 stars minimum. If you've been keeping your battle strategy up, just hand in your wholesale'd Elixir. No way that doesn't top off 10 stars.

TheChaos0

Finally getting around to putting in some quality time with Shin Rorona Tensei. I forgot how likeable Rorona was at the beginning of the trilogy, when she was just an insecure girl and not a) an insane moron or b) ten years old. Pretty sure I'm already doing better than I ever did in the original Rorona, though the optional quests and the rewards for doing them are probably helping with that. The combat is so simplistic compared to more recent Atelier games, though, that it puts me to sleep sometimes. And boy do I not miss the bit where if you don't bring the right bomb to the party, you'll just waste munitions trying to blow up some stupid rock in a dungeon.

I wouldn't call her a moron. ;) An absent mindedly insane genius? An incidental weird genius? She's a lot like Mark, who is sort of in his own little world most of the times.

I definitely agree that she was very likeable in the first game. She didn't seem to mature that much in Totori, whereas Totori did in Meruru.

Kysen

can overtime be played over and over? I burned half a year just levelling up and gearing characters and I'm still getting wrecked. The journey glass needs an item that is on tough enemies.

ohlawd

No.

You'll be asked to save your clear file at the end regardless of your item progress. That file can only be used to start over from year 1, assignment 1.

Kysen

Whelp guess I'm done with the game then, too many endings to try and grind through. At least I got almost 40hours of game time. The game became far more enjoyable near the end(2nd half of year 2) and things opened up.

ohlawd

Have you only been upgrading equipment? How about using Meteors with Swarm Slayer L and/or M, Sure Shot, Demolisher/Destroyer, etc?

squall211

You don't need to fill in all 10 stars :p

What have you tried? Should work if you hand in a high level, high quality item with good traits.

Think I handed in a 120 quality Spring Cup with no traits sitting in my container and got 6 stars minimum. If you've been keeping your battle strategy up, just hand in your wholesale'd Elixir. No way that doesn't top off 10 stars.

Well I'll be....I have 8 stars filled. I always assumed you needed to fill in all 10 stars or you'd fail the assignment lol.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well I'll be....I have 8 stars filled. I always assumed you needed to fill in all 10 stars or you'd fail the assignment lol.

You only need 3 technically but you need more than 94 stars and 80% popularity for true path. :3

Or under 94 starts and over 80% popularity for good path.

squall211

Can someone make a comparison between the time constraints between Rorona, Totori and Meruru? Even though I have so far finished all of the assignments with plenty of time to spare, it still feels like I should have been able to do more in the game, but simply didn't have the time left to do so.

vall03

I think I made a huge mistake going to Overtime. I didn't trigger any of Iksel's item events and I'm now stuck unable to synthesize some items because I don't have access to those exclusive materials. Is it still possible to synthesize anything good without those materials? I'm looking at my list and a lot are crossed out because I can't synthesize something like a Crimson Dye. This seriously sucks since I was planning to spend Overtime synthesizing the best equips and items in order to breeze through my second playthrough. I kinda lost interest the moment I got those recipes from Meruru since I can't synthesize any of those items.

inorganicrosiel

Neo Member
I think I made a huge mistake going to Overtime. I didn't trigger any of Iksel's item events and I'm now stuck unable to synthesize some items because I don't have access to those exclusive materials. Is it still possible to synthesize anything good without those materials? I'm looking at my list and a lot are crossed out because I can't synthesize something like a Crimson Dye. This seriously sucks since I was planning to spend Overtime synthesizing the best equips and items in order to breeze through my second playthrough. I kinda lost interest the moment I got those recipes from Meruru since I can't synthesize any of those items.

Magic Paint is practically a requirement for making the best equipment, but you might be able to find random Crimson Dyes in Machina gathering spots. I think I found some on Floor 3 behind the boss.

macklelol

I was in the same situation as you when I went into overtime for the first time. Luckily, you can get some of the stuff like Sour Apples from the Abyssal Tower in the first or second floor.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So yeah, I can't make the True Dragon Hourglass in the Epilogue. I've tried attaching Success Rate traits to Hollow Ring to try and increase my chances but no dice. orz

EDIT: And three seconds later I pull it off. Naturally. >>;

I wouldn't call her a moron. ;) An absent mindedly insane genius? An incidental weird genius? She's a lot like Mark, who is sort of in his own little world most of the times.

I definitely agree that she was very likeable in the first game. She didn't seem to mature that much in Totori, whereas Totori did in Meruru.

If anything, it felt like she regressed in Totori. (Totori spoilers)
The first game is all about a hard-working but kind of dense girl who wins over the townsfolk and learns how to run her own workshop despite a meanie for a mentor. She enters the picture washed up on a shore somewhere in Totori because apparently she's so stupid that she wandered off into the wilderness adventuring and forgot to eat or protect herself.
The worst you could say about Rorona in the first game is that innuendo flies over her head and she's gullible. She wasn't so dumb that
she could wind up mostly-dead randomly because reasons

Even my favourite Rorona moment in Totori makes her look kind of awful. The later games don't treat her very well at all.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
It was a little disheartening to see Rorona's status in Totori so far. She was an genius unstoppable monster in my game!

Man coming back to one of these games after a hiatus is weird. I have no idea what I was doing in Totori and I am worried I'm going to fall behind now. Guess I'll just start accepting quests and try to rank up my license.

bah..what traits don't transfer to weapons? i've created a mineral seed with power hitter, defender, speed star and rainbow power so that it would create ores with the same traits. but only power hitter and rainbow power can be transferred to the ingots. wasted a few hours creating those seeds. the boost versions of those traits transfers..but not the final versions.. :(

Phoenixus

Just on the last few months of the regular playthrough. Where's the best place to level grind? I've got that experience booster decoration already.

Pancakes

Ok so I have a question about Totori, I know there is a separate thread for it but it has been dead for months now.

I'm at year 3 and
I just got enough points for the diamond ranking. I thought this game was only 3 years just like Rorona but to my surprise it is actually 6. My question is, what the heck do I do now? The next adventurer rank is 900 points away and I'm just basically left to my own devices. Is there a special place I need to go to figure out what happened to Totori's mom or am I just grinding character endings now?.

ohlawd

bah..what traits don't transfer to weapons? i've created a mineral seed with power hitter, defender, speed star and rainbow power so that it would create ores with the same traits. but only power hitter and rainbow power can be transferred to the ingots. wasted a few hours creating those seeds. the boost versions of those traits transfers..but not the final versions.. :(

there isn't a way to check until you actually get to passing down traits. You should always save before making stuff like that in case it doesn't pan out. Generally, attack traits on weapons, defense, HP, resistance on armor, everything else on accessories.

Just on the last few months of the regular playthrough. Where's the best place to level grind? I've got that experience booster decoration already.

Orthogalaxen. I went to the floor with all those whales.

Ok so I have a question about Totori, I know there is a separate thread for it but it has been dead for months now.

I'm at year 3 and
I just got enough points for the diamond ranking. I thought this game was only 3 years just like Rorona but to my surprise it is actually 6. My question is, what the heck do I do now? The next adventurer rank is 900 points away and I'm just basically left to my own devices. Is there a special place I need to go to figure out what happened to Totori's mom or am I just grinding character endings now?.
story progression should resume on year 4, month 1 at Alanya. Chill for now, I guess. Maybe clear up some friend events, make better equips, update your wholesale, do some license quests?

Finally finished with the main story with all the endings completed. Now on to overtime :D

Edit: Just platinum'd it. 78hrs total time. Finally :D

Way late on this, but for anyone else in the same boat: the most efficient use of in-game time, by far, is the Quadra Puni boss battle at Skylark Hill in Nearby Forest. Each battle is four Quadra Punis, and when you get them down to critical HP, they duplicate themselves. Play your cards right (i.e. don't rush to kill enemies, leave them alive long enough to duplicate) and you have a theoretically endless supply of enemies to grind. And all it costs you is three days of in-game time if you have a Windrider (or four if you don't). Of course, those three days will end up taking hours of real-life time if you let it, but I think it only took twenty or thirty minutes or so to pick up ~20000 XP. (I was levelling up Cordelia for the adventure ending.) If you don't care about in-game time and would rather optimize for your own time, Orthogalaxen may still be quicker.

Running through my second overtime now. Man, it's so much easier when you know what it is you're supposed to be doing. I'm one World Spirit away from crafting the
first Dragon Hourglass
and I'm only in the second month. Machina Domain's a lot easier this time around too, in that my party members only die every other turn to bosses instead of every turn!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
BTW, what do you get for completing esty's final request? The
gorgeous dress
I made is too nice to not use. :p

ohlawd

BTW, what do you get for completing esty's final request? The
gorgeous dress
I made is too nice to not use. :p

did you end up using that required item?

been a month since your post but hmmm I don't remember if you get something good. Gotta do all her quests if you want to trigger her sidequest in overtime anyway.

Mephala

Started not long ago and am fumbling my way through the game. I haven't been hitting all the quests and stuff as I'm still learning the ropes, where to get ingredients and stuff like that.

The question that's killing me is what determines whether your bomb will break a road block or not? My quality 68 bomb failed, can't use cannons and my quality 31 with forceful trait almost succeeded. A random bomb of 40 quality breaks through... Is it random?

ohlawd

depends on the bomb's effects. the quality of the bomb and its traits don't matter.

for example, a Bagbomb with Spiky is better at breaking rocks than one with Uni.

Top Bottom