• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Totori Plus (Vita) |OT| Stealthily Adventuring onto PSN

Kazzy

If I remember correctly, there are spoilers for Totori's True Ending in Meruru.

They'd pretty much have to be, yeah.

I just achieved the True Ending just the other day, it was a nice surprise!

It was my first Atelier game, and though I did enjoy it, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't frustrated by how a lot of narrative elements are locked behind obtuse triggers.

Cornbread78

They'd pretty much have to be, yeah.

I just achieved the True Ending just the other day, it was a nice surprise!

It was my first Atelier game, and though I did enjoy it, I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't frustrated by how a lot of narrative elements are locked behind obtuse triggers.

I hate this about certain games.... I'm on my second play-through now and it better not get screwed up by that again!

Cornbread78

I finally at least made it to the
Flauschtraut
but I'm nowhere near strong enough! How the hell do you get strong enough in this game with very limited time to work with.........

Kazzy

I finally at least made it to the
Flauschtraut
but I'm nowhere near strong enough! How the hell do you get strong enough in this game with very limited time to work with.........

It's more to do with equipment that levels. What particular aspect of the fight are you struggling with? Healing?

It's an instance where your lack of good provisions will really have a bearing on the outcome of the battle.

Cornbread78

It's more to do with equipment that levels. What particular aspect of the fight are you struggling with? Healing?

It's an instance where your lack of good provisions will really have a bearing on the outcome of the battle.

More so of getting any damage on him outside of Sterk..

Everyone else is useless....... I have the strongest weapons that are not made with the dragon tusks, because, hell, I can't beat that thing elther....

Kazzy

More so of getting any damage on him outside of Sterk..

Everyone else is useless....... I have the strongest weapons that are not made with the dragon tusks, because, hell, I can't beat that thing elther....

What are you levels? I was around 40, and I didn't even battle all that much.

It was just a case of making sure I travelled to new regions, usually because those sub-bosses are a good gauge of where you are at.

It was just a case of making sure I travelled to new regions, usually because those sub-bosses are a good gauge of where you are at.

I was around lvl 36 - 40 with different characters. Fought him with Mimi, Sterk and Totori. Basically you need some equipment with extra properties (like attack + 5, attack + 3) and spam special attacks with Mimi and Sterk while healing/attacking with Totori, make sure to craft some powerful healing items.

Cornbread78

Totori at 35
Rorona at 35
Sterk at 37

I'm using S Rank medical creams and B Ranked Mind waters....

Totori at 35
Rorona at 35
Sterk at 37

I'm using S Rank medical creams and B Ranked Mind waters....

I didn't even had to use mind waters, try to make some equipment with that property that lowers the MP requirement for each skill MP -20% or something like that. Make sure to make accessories too.

Cornbread78

Stupid
Evil Smile
How is the battle even fair? I'm almost at Adv. lvl50 and have pretty much maxed weapons and armor, but there is just no wait to defeat him. What's worse is that if Totori dies, there is no way to heal anyone or use items.... WTF.. I guess I'll have to try a 3rd playthrough, that I'm sure I'll screw up somehow on the dates and flags......

I didn't even had to use mind waters, try to make some equipment with that property that lowers the MP requirement for each skill MP -20% or something like that. Make sure to make accessories too.

The problem I ran into with syth is that I was at lvl 50, yet I still could not get all the abilities for items to pull when creating items, even if they were all "S" ranked items....

omlet

If I remember correctly, there are spoilers for Totori's True Ending in Meruru.

Unmissable dialog in Meruru spoils Totori true end so don't play Meruru before Totori if you are concerned with spoilers.

Totori true end is easy to get with a guide. If you play it the "right" way (no guide first time, guide on replay) there's pretty much no way you'll get true end, so you're looking at 1-3 playthroughs. I platinumed with 2 plays, had normal end on first game.

Stupid
Evil Smile
How is the battle even fair? I'm almost at Adv. lvl50 and have pretty much maxed weapons and armor, but there is just no wait to defeat him. What's worse is that if Totori dies, there is no way to heal anyone or use items.... WTF.. I guess I'll have to try a 3rd playthrough, that I'm sure I'll screw up somehow on the dates and flags......

The optional bosses in Totori and Meruru are designed to be pretty much unbeatable until you seriously break the game with creative and smart use of alchemy. That's what's so fun about them. Levels help but they won't win you those fights. Meruru is more fresh in my mind than Totori, but generally in both games what you need to win those tough battles is an accumulation of things along the way done with an understanding of the alchemy system and all of the recipes and ingredients (specifically, and very importantly, item traits) available to you.

You need to use tonics when gathering. You need to be smart and plan ahead with registering items for wholesale. You need to use the right accessories to farm HQ enemy drops. You need to make sure to use Chims to duplicate exceptional raw materials or synthed items that you can't easily make more of (or actually can't make more of at all). Perhaps most importantly, you need to experiment with ways to stick powerful traits on items by using created items as ingredients in multi-synth projects rather than relying just on raw material (in Meruru, I probably spent a good 3 hours just experimenting with synths trying to make some really powerful accessories for the last bosses--it paid off!). You need auto-activating heal/revive/buff items to not waste turns using them manually. For the top-end bosses in both games, you especially need speed--as in the stat, or buffs from items like the Dimension Egg made with high quality and good traits.

It all comes back to the alchemy and it feels so good once you synth up those good pieces of equipment and consumables and go whomp those bosses.

Cornbread78

Unmissable dialog in Meruru spoils Totori true end so don't play Meruru before Totori if you are concerned with spoilers.

Totori true end is easy to get with a guide. If you play it the "right" way (no guide first time, guide on replay) there's pretty much no way you'll get true end, so you're looking at 1-3 playthroughs. I platinumed with 2 plays, had normal end on first game.

The optional bosses in Totori and Meruru are designed to be pretty much unbeatable until you seriously break the game with creative and smart use of alchemy. That's what's so fun about them. Levels help but they won't win you those fights. Meruru is more fresh in my mind than Totori, but generally in both games what you need to win those tough battles is an accumulation of things along the way done with an understanding of the alchemy system and all of the recipes and ingredients (specifically, and very importantly, item traits) available to you.

You need to use tonics when gathering. You need to be smart and plan ahead with registering items for wholesale. You need to use the right accessories to farm HQ enemy drops. You need to make sure to use Chims to duplicate exceptional raw materials or synthed items that you can't easily make more of (or actually can't make more of at all). Perhaps most importantly, you need to experiment with ways to stick powerful traits on items by using created items as ingredients in multi-synth projects rather than relying just on raw material (in Meruru, I probably spent a good 3 hours just experimenting with synths trying to make some really powerful accessories for the last bosses--it paid off!). You need auto-activating heal/revive/buff items to not waste turns using them manually. For the top-end bosses in both games, you especially need speed--as in the stat, or buffs from items like the Dimension Egg made with high quality and good traits.

It all comes back to the alchemy and it feels so good once you synth up those good pieces of equipment and consumables and go whomp those bosses.

One of the big problems I've run into is the stats are not carrying over to the items (-30%MP) +10 All stats, etc... They just will not appear on the trait list when I synth..

omlet

One of the big problems I've run into is the stats are not carrying over to the items (-30%MP) +10 All stats, etc... They just will not appear on the trait list when I synth..

This is because certain traits only work on certain items, which is where you have to get creative. For example, you can only put +10 stats on an accessory, not weapon or armor, and you can only have a trait once on an item. By the same token, there are some items that, based on their ingredients, simply cannot have a certain trait applied. If you are using synthesized items as ingredients, not all of them will be able to host all of the traits you want, so you really just need to experiment and mix and match.

Thus, if you want +10 stats (and you do!) then you need to decide on what accessory you want to use and then basically experiment with synthing it "backwards" almost--what I mean is look at the types of materials or synthesized items that make up the finished product and then specifically create those kind of items (oils, supplements, etc.) for the purpose of applying traits to the eventual product. And remember, batch-synthing is very effective for making items with great traits. It depends of course on what kind of item you're making, but as a rule of thumb you can aim for making 1 ingredient synth with 1 trait for the eventual item and so then, say, making 4 of the finished product with the 4 same kind of synthed ingredients each with a different trait.

I wish I could come up with a better example off the top of my head but my Totori synthing memory is really obscured by Meruru...maybe I'll fire up Totori tonight and check some things. I think things like Rainbow Oil and Magic Paint are great items to make with good accessory traits like +10 stats. You can also cannibalize some accessories as ingredients for new accessories if you want.

Making good items requires examination of and experimentation with the recipe and is never a single-synth process.

On the note of having Totori dying, have you made good auto-heal/auto-revive items like Elixirs or Auto Alarms? What about making very high quality Ankhs?

OceanBlue

For example, you can only put +10 stats on an accessory, not weapon or armor, and you can only have a trait once on an item.
Atelier Rorona may not have been the best game (or even a good game compared to the other Arland games), but not having either of these rules made equipment making hilarious.

omlet

Atelier Rorona may not have been the best game (or even a good game compared to the other Arland games), but not having either of these rules made equipment making hilarious.

By hilarious you mean awesome, right?

Though in either case, if you have cash you don't even need equipment after like the first year in Rorona if you know how to make good bombs. As fun as one-shotting every boss with Tera Bombs and exploding trash mobs with dynamite or BARREL!s is, I'm glad there is more emphasis on making equipment and using party members for more than just meat sheilds in Totori/Meruru.

OceanBlue

By hilarious you mean awesome, right?

Though in either case, if you have cash you don't even need equipment after like the first year in Rorona if you know how to make good bombs. As fun as one-shotting every boss with Tera Bombs and exploding trash mobs with dynamite or BARREL!s is, I'm glad there is more emphasis on making equipment and using party members for more than just meat sheilds in Totori/Meruru.

Lol. Looking back, I'm so glad Totori turned out the way it did. What a massive leap in a lot of aspects.

omlet

Lol. Looking back, I'm so glad Totori turned out the way it did. What a massive leap in a lot of aspects.

True, but Rorona still has probably the most consistently funny/good skits in the trilogy and some really satisfying/funny endings. For a game with hardly any plot, Atelier Rorona did a great job of presenting world that really nailed that "small, but multifaceted community" feel, even if the most serious things that really happen are Cordelia growing up
into the best character in Totori
and Astrid trolling the fuck out of everyone because she's awesome. Rorona's a MC that I can just really get behind and cheer her on--something that's a bit harder to do in Totori's case for me since, weird as it may sound, hers is a more personal journey which is good but in a different way.

Man, I am soooo looking forward to what they do with the "Rorona !Plus" idea because it would be awesome to revisit (...again...) Rorona's excellent cast and skits with some Totori/Meruru graphical/balance improvements.

Ken

Finally bought this last night. So far it seems better than Rorona, but I only played up to getting quests.

Should I play blind the first time? Or are there some important things I should know beforehand.

Kazzy

Finally bought this last night. So far it seems better than Rorona, but I only played up to getting quests.

Should I play blind the first time? Or are there some important things I should know beforehand.

You're always going to be missing out on character specific stuff. The only way to feasibly know all of that , is by referring to a guide. If you're a completionist, it's something you'll want to consider before starting. Using one will really affect your play style.

Try and craft the gathering gloves, warp gate, and secret bag as soon as possible. They all cut down on time spent, both in terms of travelling, as well as gathering.

Ken

You're always going to be missing out on character specific stuff. The only way to feasibly know all of that , is by referring to a guide. If you're a completionist, it's something you'll want to consider before starting. Using one will really affect your play style.

Try and craft the gathering gloves, warp gate, and secret bag as soon as possible. They all cut down on time spent, both in terms of travelling, as well as gathering.

Do they show up at the same time for everyone in the crafting list or is there a prerequisite to fulfill for them to appear.

omlet

In addition to what was mentioned, one thing that cost me a good bit of time on my first game (good thing I had about 20 saved games to fall back on) was that often I would go to an area, gather/fight, and leave the way I came in. This caused me to miss opening several areas key to advancing progress. Always be sure you check alternate exists to an area, especially in the later part of the game once you start traveling outside the immediate kingdom area, so that you can make sure you find all the locations.

Other than that, I would highly suggest playing the game mostly blind (in the sense of not following a guide) on your first play. You will miss a lot of stuff. By design. Replay with a guide to get all the character/plot development skits and endings.

Do they show up at the same time for everyone in the crafting list or is there a prerequisite to fulfill for them to appear.

You need to get the recipes yourself. I don't remember offhand where they come from. I think the gloves recipe is purchased and warp gate recipe is found in a chest.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I worked hard an tonight I obtained the normal ending! True might've been in my reach (but still prolly not) had I won the cookoff. Seriously what the heck does winning that have to do with anything o.o?

Anyways it seemed ta me like the normal ending was sadder / more depressing than the bad ending
ya know with the mom being dead, an Totori going on to be an adventurer of little fame, etc
;_;

Gonna finally start up Meruru in abit after leaving it sit unopened for very close to a year! I guess it'll spoil me silly but barring some huge twist I think I can kinda guess at the gist of Totori's true ending. Hopefully with my newfound experience I won't get Meruru's bad end my first time through but I'll prolly find a way~

OceanBlue

I worked hard an tonight I obtained the normal ending! True might've been in my reach (but still prolly not) had I won the cookoff. Seriously what the heck does winning that have to do with anything o.o?

Anyways it seemed ta me like the normal ending was sadder / more depressing than the bad ending
ya know with the mom being dead, an Totori going on to be an adventurer of little fame, etc
;_;

Gonna finally start up Meruru in abit after leaving it sit unopened for very close to a year! I guess it'll spoil me silly but barring some huge twist I think I can kinda guess at the gist of Totori's true ending. Hopefully with my newfound experience I won't get Meruru's bad end my first time through but I'll prolly find a way~

Don't worry. It's a lot easier to get good endings in Meruru, especially because they basically tell you how to get different endings (they don't tell you that it's for different endings, but it's kinda obvious).

cjkeats

Finally got this today. Played a little, really like it in Vita. Gonna go poke through the thread and get some starter tips.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Don't worry. It's a lot easier to get good endings in Meruru, especially because they basically tell you how to get different endings (they don't tell you that it's for different endings, but it's kinda obvious).
Cools! Now thats what I call progress! I'll only have myself ta blame if I fail this time! Now that I've checked out the manual I'ma start it up in 3... 2... 1... now!

Cornbread78

So I just beat
Evil Face
and got nothing.... Wow, I was expecting at least a friggen' trophy....

What should I do now? I can't get the true ending because I can't get teh 500K in 6 months.... this is just wrong....

What else can I do for the next 6 months?

omlet

So I just beat
Evil Face
and got nothing.... Wow, I was expecting at least a friggen' trophy....

What should I do now? I can't get the true ending because I can't get teh 500K in 6 months.... this is just wrong....

What else can I do for the next 6 months?

You get trophies for events and endings, some of which you need to kill bosses for to get. That's where the trophy will be.

I'm pretty sure you can get 500k in the next 6 months using Spring Cups pretty easily plus offloading any spare junk in your storage, can't you? If that's all you need for the ending, that's all you need to do. Find something to listen to like a podcast or something to take the edge off the menu monotony, and watch the cash flow.

Cornbread78

You get trophies for events and endings, some of which you need to kill bosses for to get. That's where the trophy will be.

I'm pretty sure you can get 500k in the next 6 months using Spring Cups pretty easily plus offloading any spare junk in your storage, can't you? If that's all you need for the ending, that's all you need to do. Find something to listen to like a podcast or something to take the edge off the menu monotony, and watch the cash flow.

I can't find a clear answer in any of the walkthrough's, but do you have to trigger all the events int he same playthrough to get teh true ending, or do you get everyone right before their final flags?

omlet

I can't find a clear answer in any of the walkthrough's, but do you have to trigger all the events int he same playthrough to get teh true ending, or do you get everyone right before their final flags?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/991771-atelier-totori-the-adventurer-of-arland/faqs/63157#section31

Not sure it can be any more clear. That means you have to do those events in the same playthrough, ignoring the restrictions (things to NOT do) for those specific endings listed as requirements (for example, Chim ending is lower priority than character endings, so to get Chim ending you don't finish any character ending requirements, but for true ending you do both, and obviously the character ending requirements preventing Chim ending are irrelevant because you're going for true ending).

Cornbread78

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/991771-atelier-totori-the-adventurer-of-arland/faqs/63157#section31

Not sure it can be any more clear. That means you have to do those events in the same playthrough, ignoring the restrictions (things to NOT do) for those specific endings listed as requirements (for example, Chim ending is lower priority than character endings, so to get Chim ending you don't finish any character ending requirements, but for true ending you do both, and obviously the character ending requirements preventing Chim ending are irrelevant because you're going for true ending).

Aww Fu(k, I give up on the trophies... I spent 6 hours levelign Mimi up to level 50 and used her for everythign earlier in the game, but I got the normal ending ... dammit..

Roubjon

So I bought this due to that Japanese Vita Game Sale and I'm really enjoying it. I'm at the date 4/23, so clearly I'm still early in.

One question I have is about the quests. Should I always be trying to do them as quickly as possible? Should I try to do as many as I can as well? Is there any type of real penalty if I don't complete them other than not getting the items? Also at this point it seems pretty unreasonable to get any of the S rank rewards, but I'm sure that will change later on.

And should I be trying to catch up my lower party members to the higher ones?

Ahh, so many questions! I hope this gets noticed lol. Thanks.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. To add to what the above poster is saying: Um, how do I get recipes for alchemy? It seems like I can't make much, if anything at all...

does it have a separate trophy list from the PS3 version?
Yes, of course. It's not the same game. Even PS3 games from different regions have separate trophy lists.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. To add to what the above poster is saying: Um, how do I get recipes for alchemy? It seems like I can't make much, if anything at all...
It's been a while since I played Totori, but you can usually buy books with new recipes from merchants or find them in chests in dungeons.

One question I have is about the quests. Should I always be trying to do them as quickly as possible? Should I try to do as many as I can as well? Is there any type of real penalty if I don't complete them other than not getting the items? Also at this point it seems pretty unreasonable to get any of the S rank rewards, but I'm sure that will change later on.

And should I be trying to catch up my lower party members to the higher ones?

Ahh, so many questions! I hope this gets noticed lol. Thanks.
I wish I could answer your questions, but when I played the game I mostly just winged it. You don't need to level low level characters unless you want to unlock all the trophies or get a specific ending.

Roubjon

Man, in-game time seriously flies. You go out collecting things and hunting monsters for quests and then 20 days pass by. Gah, I'm worried I'm missing out on story stuff or special quests or something. I think I should just forget about and just play the game though. I'd rather not get stressed out while playing.

Squire

Banned
Okay, so I think I'm getting the hang of this. I'm supposed to be gathering materials to make items for combat and for quests. Right.

Roubjon

Yeah I think I'm figuring it out as well. Something I have been procrastinating is exploring new areas though. There are like 2 license ranks worth of areas I haven't even been to. I get caught up trying to do requests and other things. I've only just started making bombs, but now that I have I think I'm strong enough to actually fight the monsters in the harder areas.

Something I don't understand is weapon crafting though. I should probably look that up. Overall though, the game is seriously addicting and time flies while playing it.

EDIT I : I have the Japanese voice acting on, but oh my god it's like chipmunks have invaded the game. So much moe~

EDIT II : It's been 2 days... can't stop playing... suffocating... too much moe management....

EDIT III: Woot! I made the speed gloves and the traveler shoes! I'm also now Platinum rank at Year 3, month 10. Hopefully I'm not on track to getting some shitty ending or something.

Roubjon

Late but, you definitely won't get a bad end if you end up finishing the main goal of the game. :)

Cool, that's good to know. Right now it seems my main task is to gather materials for the boat. This is kind of challenging actually, but I think I need my license to be extended before I can even gather everything. That's in like, 3 months game time for me.

omlet

Just starting this one after trying to make my way through P4G to no avail, any tips for a newcomer/first timer to the series?

Plan your trips in advance. You cannot afford to waste a lot of time making multiple trips to places because travel takes up so much time.

Do not go out of your way to do sidequests from the bar on your first game. What I mean by this is if 4 are offered and 3 are easy and 1 requires a 2 week trip, do the 3 easy ones and ignore the other one. They will reset later.

Leave no stone unturned--new areas typically open up at "appropriate" times in the game and you should make an effort to explore every location at least once.

Use the in-game menu to find ways you can earn more adventurer rank points at where ever you are in the game. Things like "kill X of this monster" or "gather all the spots in this location" or stuff like that.

Create multiple save files.

If you find you enjoy battling more than alchemy, do not neglect your alchemy levels. The reverse is also true.

Be sure to use the wholesale (register your items at shops) feature; it is key to making good items.

Read my posts on this page (and possibly previous depending on your PPP setting) about exploring and some advanced synthesis tips.

Oh, one more: In regards to Chims, they can duplicate raw materials. If you have a really good (high quality or good traits or both) raw material and only have 1 left and want to use it to synth, you can send Chim to get more of that item and then use it up and Chim will continue to gather that exact same item even if you use your last one.

Plan your trips in advance. You cannot afford to waste a lot of time making multiple trips to places because travel takes up so much time.

Do not go out of your way to do sidequests from the bar on your first game. What I mean by this is if 4 are offered and 3 are easy and 1 requires a 2 week trip, do the 3 easy ones and ignore the other one. They will reset later.

Leave no stone unturned--new areas typically open up at "appropriate" times in the game and you should make an effort to explore every location at least once.

Use the in-game menu to find ways you can earn more adventurer rank points at where ever you are in the game. Things like "kill X of this monster" or "gather all the spots in this location" or stuff like that.

Create multiple save files.

If you find you enjoy battling more than alchemy, do not neglect your alchemy levels. The reverse is also true.

Be sure to use the wholesale (register your items at shops) feature; it is key to making good items.

Read my posts on this page (and possibly previous depending on your PPP setting) about exploring and some advanced synthesis tips.

Oh, one more: In regards to Chims, they can duplicate raw materials. If you have a really good (high quality or good traits or both) raw material and only have 1 left and want to use it to synth, you can send Chim to get more of that item and then use it up and Chim will continue to gather that exact same item even if you use your last one.

Will do, about how long are playthroughs generally?

omlet

Will do, about how long are playthroughs generally?

First one will be longest. If you NGP you get to carry stuff over that helps you shortcut some things for subsequent plays. I wanna say my first play was somewhere in the 40-50 hour range because I did a lot of alchemy, but since I cleaned up my multiple saves after getting platinum I can't say for sure. You can "just finish it" in probably 30 or less if you are in a hurry or following a guide and not figuring things out on your own (not recommended). I started with Rorona, though, so the basic gameplay and terminology wasn't new to me in Totori. After doing 2 full playthroughs for platinum and replaying the last portion of the game multiple times for different endings I think have around 100 hours in this game (around the same time in Rorona, but less than in Meruru). That number is with a bit of padding to account for having to load game to redo things which isn't reflected in the playtime count (not talking like game overs here, but like re-running dungeons because of bad gathering, reloading game after experimental synthesis, re-watching a skit, loading game to avoid a skit for the moment, etc.).

I can check when I get home if you'd like. My sister currently is borrowing my copy of Totori but I think I can still get the time played number from the save game manager area of PS3 XBM; failing that she told me she'd be bringing it back by tonight since she finished it and I could fire it up then and check.

First one will be longest. If you NGP you get to carry stuff over that helps you shortcut some things for subsequent plays. I wanna say my first play was somewhere in the 40-50 hour range because I did a lot of alchemy, but since I cleaned up my multiple saves after getting platinum I can't say for sure. You can "just finish it" in probably 30 or less if you are in a hurry or following a guide and not figuring things out on your own (not recommended). I started with Rorona, though, so the basic gameplay and terminology wasn't new to me in Totori. After doing 2 full playthroughs for platinum and replaying the last portion of the game multiple times for different endings I think have around 100 hours in this game (around the same time in Rorona, but less than in Meruru). That number is with a bit of padding to account for having to load game to redo things which isn't reflected in the playtime count (not talking like game overs here, but like re-running dungeons because of bad gathering, reloading game after experimental synthesis, re-watching a skit, loading game to avoid a skit for the moment, etc.).

I can check when I get home if you'd like. My sister currently is borrowing my copy of Totori but I think I can still get the time played number from the save game manager area of PS3 XBM; failing that she told me she'd be bringing it back by tonight since she finished it and I could fire it up then and check.

Appreciate it, this game sounds far more overwhelming than enjoyable at the moment though...

omlet

Appreciate it, this game sounds far more overwhelming than enjoyable at the moment though...

Oh, don't get too intimidated. The great thing about this game and Meruru is that as long as you actually play both sides of the game (alchemy and adventuring), it's easy to just "get through" the games (same can't be said quite so much of Rorona, but maybe the "Plus" version will fix that). You don't even get game over for getting wiped out in battle (but you lose time so you may still want to load your game!).

Like, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that an average newcomer to the series could quite easily get the normal ending on their first try without using a guide (with maybe a few game loads to re-do some things better/faster), or maybe 2nd if you really waste too much time at the start of the game and have start over with a better understanding of time management.

They're easy to just play, but far more complicated to master.

And you don't need to worry about "mastering" the game and min-maxing synthing until you've played the game once and decide you enjoy it enough to go for platinum, because doing that will demand that you really get a good understanding of the game's fairly deep synthesis system and obtuse ending flags.

Edit: As for total playtime for Totori, my sister didn't get it back to me yet. My Meruru file is at 115 clocked hours and that's not counting additional time doing things over. However, that is 1 normal playthrough, 1 NG+ to platinum, and 1 more NG+ to beat all the optional superbosses. My Rorona file is at 68 hours, 1 normal and 1.5 NG+ plays to platinum. I know Totori is somewhere between the two in terms of total playtime, but again you won't need to spend anywhere near that amount of time to just play the game normally. I'm an alchemy nut.

Another thing is a huge portion of these game's runtime is actually spoken dialog. So if you are the type to read the dialog box and press X before the voiceovers finish, you will shave a lot of time off the game.

Top Bottom