• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Bannings and new SMT? What's not to love!

Stunt

Banned
I'm not so sure about the first-person but it seems like an interesting idea. I'm definitely in need of a new SMT game, too. I'm willing to give the game a try though. 300+ demons, fusions, and negotiations seem way to good to pass up. I need some new DS games to play anyway.

Come to think of it, I should pick up SMT: Devil Survivor for DS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Is it Eiji? I see two possibilities scanning through credits. Eiji Ishida was the chief designer for Nocturne, Raidou 1 and Raidou 2. .
Nocturne Maniax, he was one of several designers for the original. I can't wait to play this game! :D

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jesuschrist.

Buy a fucking DS/PSP. Current gen sucks anyway.

edit: nice edit inthezone.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
stupei said:
So many people in this thread confessing to not having Devil Survivor yet. Remedy this, people.
Seriously it's the best DS j-rpg until this game comes out of course.

stupei

Because a game that is going to take up 100 some odd hours of your life needs to be with you everywhere you go.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm really interested how they will change the mechanics of a traditional SMT game to work on a portable (real time saving/checkpoints please). From the few informations available it looks like they try to tie all SMT gameplay elements together.

All in all a very ambitious project, lets hope everything they planned comes to fruition.

Fuck. Yes. Will buy. I loves me some dungeon crawlers.

Also:

Info:
- Some other dimension has opened up in the South Pole
- The dimensional space is called "Schwarz Birth" or something
- The characters wear some scifi suit called Demonica Suits, and get upgraded applications along the way
- Top screen = first person orgasm of the SMT goodness
- Botton screen = map + support info

:lol

Whatever, I'll play and love it.

I need to play Devil Survivor, too :\

demosthenes said:
I need to fix my damn DS....R button isn't working, have to put a crap load of pressure for a response.

My L button is like that. Works sometimes, doesn't work at others :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
stupei said:
An assumption based on the aesthetic established in Devil Survivor?
My attempts to lure you seem to have ended in failiure. Damn.

I've been meaning to pick up Nocturne, but Amazon sold out while I was on vacation. I think this will be my first full-on classic SMT game, since Devil Summoner 2 and Devil Survivor don't completely count.

I still need to finish Persona 3, start Persona 4 and buy Devil survivor. And I REALLY want this, too. After just watching a bunch of videos of Devil Survivor, I might go tomorrow and buy it since I won't have access to my ps3 for quite some time to play 3 and 4. Lately the only games I've been finishing are on handhelds.

K.Sabot

Was hoping to be surprised, but that doesn't seem to suit Atlus. I guess this is good news, but I'm feeling a non-surprising amount of "expected it".

That and I still need to finish Devil Survivor.

man what's up with this first person RPG business. i was looking for an rpg for DS and found devil survivors (i have really only played DDS and loved it) but the battle system is first person. what the hell? what happened to the RPGs of old that i loved where it showed everyone on screen? :(

this is also a reason i hated phantasy star growing up and why dragon quest doesn't interest me. stop with the FPRPG's!

jvalioli

I'd be surprised if there was no press-turn. It's such an awesome mechanic and now I'm always thrown for a loop when I play other RPGs and it's not present.

stupei

Gilgamesh said:
They exist, but it's up to you to find them.
xe3ol1.png

Great movie, also.

Varna

vicissitudes said:
So is this SMTIV basically or a spin-off?

New spin-off with stable SMT gameplay it seems!

Very excited! Hopefully DS drops in price by the time this hits NA.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems like for all intents and purposes this might be SMT4 after all. :lol
EDIT 2: Has anyone seen anything shots of this game yet? If it looked similar to the PS1 era first-person SMT games I should be so fucken excited....
EDIT 3: HOLY SHIT. THIS GAME LOOKS UNBELIEVABLE.

BlueWord

Oyashiro said:
I'm so excited for this! Though we probably won't be getting the localization until Summer 2010 D:

I don't know, Atlus has been pretty speedy on the translations recently. I'm guessing next spring, probably March or April.

stupei

Oyashiro said:
I'm so excited for this! Though we probably won't be getting the localization until Summer 2010 D:

Nah. Devil Survivor was announced as recently as November. I mean, this sounds like it might be a bigger undertaking, but I don't think that necessarily means a full 12 months. Hopefully.

MechaX

The humans while in their full armor kinda look like a SMT version of the main character from Dead Space; it looks wacky but still pretty cool all the same.

The scans and the line-up heading the game does kinda quelled my initial skepticism over the existence of another DS SMT title. I don't really think any single SMT game had 300 demons, old or new, and the scans already feature some brand-new demons. But regardless, I'm more interested in this game than I was for Devil Survivor before it came out. Alignments are back in full swing and negotiations are back in. Hell, it seems to be a little bit more of the Devil Summoner & Soul Hackers style as opposed to SMT I and II when it comes to certain stuff.

I'm interested to see where this goes.

PS: DS is the JRPG system this gen. Period.

inthezone said:
So is this SMT4? or another spin-off of sorts?

Like SMT IF, it's probably more of a side story than a spin-off, if that makes any sense.

duckroll

Well, whether it's a "spin off" or not is not really important for SMT. The reason is that, unlike in the US where Atlus spams "SMT" on every fucking title they release, in Japan SMT is only used in the title when it's a game which plays like what people expect from a SMT game, and carries all the expectations of a "SMT game". Aside from SMT NINE (Xbox) and SMT Imagine (MMO) which weren't even developed by Atlus, there are only 4 SMT games ever: SMT, SMT2, SMT if and SMT3. This will be the 5th official SMT game, and it comes 5 years after SMT3 Maniax was released in Japan. Looooong time coming.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nice overview by the folks over at siliconera.com

*why did Siliconera have to post scans? :(*

very in-depth.

Top Bottom