• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS)

Turbo

Neo Member
Mamesj said:
damn, this sucks ... The DS is great and all, but fuck...I want a next gen SMT.

Quickly edit your post...(although the quotes on you does give it away, I hope the mods are in a nice mood today).

Anyways, I look forward to a new SMT title, whether it be on DS or otherwise. Besides, 200 monsters ? :lol . Yup, expecting a lot of fun from that :D .

Turbo said:
Quickly edit your post...(although the quotes on you does give it away, I hope the mods are in a nice mood today).

Anyways, I look forward to a new SMT title, whether it be on DS or otherwise. Besides, 200 monsters ? :lol . Yup, expecting a lot of fun from that :D .

Three hundred monsters, not two. Threeeeeeeeeeeeee hundred.

*glances left*

*glances right*

This! Is! Spar *is shot*

Gilgamesh

Man, this thread is just knocking people out left and right. :lol

If only they had taken the time to read the first post...

OldDirtyClooney said:
True. And I haven't even properly started Persona 4 yet.. >_>

:eek: Get to work!

Gilgamesh said:

I was astonished when I first realized how many GAF posters don't actually read the threads they're posting in.

duckroll said:
I'm pretty interested in seeing the character customization systems in Strange Journey. The article makes it very clear that the Demonica Suit is upgradeable in terms of applications and functions. While some of these functions are stuff which you would on the bottom screen, or stuff to affect your ability to progress in the dungeons or environments, they also show the armory on board the Red Sprite, where you can buy equipment of some sort. The equipment selected in the screenshot is a Surpriser, which increases the chance of you getting first initiative in battles, and it also notes that it is "Size: 2" which indicates to me that the suit will have equipment slots of some sort, and different equipment types of different sizes can be fitted onto the suit. I really want to find out more.... ^^;

I was reading the Siliconera overview http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/21/shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-mission-overview/, and this line caught my attention
The top screen shows the world as you see it, in first person. With upgrades that you can pick up through the game, you may be able to discover things you couldn’t see before.

I'm imagining stuff like items that let you see through walls that can be walked through or secret passages.

duckroll

Chrono Helix said:
I was reading the Siliconera overview http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/21/shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-mission-overview/, and this line caught my attention

I'm imagining stuff like items that let you see through walls that can be walked through or secret passages.

Yes, part of the reason they introduced the suit is for search functions and environmental investigation of some sort. It's definitely inspired by Dead Space and Metroid, without a doubt. The director of the game, Eiji Ishida, was previously cited by Atlus as being the biggest american comic and western movie/culture influence within the R&D1 team, because he's a huge fan of that kinda stuff. He was personally responsible for the look of the Vortex in SMT3 (they called it the Vortex Shadow technique or something), and was the visual supervisor for both Raidou games.

Serph

Banned
holy crap at all the bannings :lol :lol :lol

I am loving Devil Survivor and I am sure I will get this one day 1 as well. The only problem I am having is picking up my DSi and playing it... I always have something to play on the BIG TV! :lol

besides, despite my avatar/sn, I haven't even finished DDS2 yet :lol

Varna

Send in the Clowns said:
Really looking foward to this, I played some SMT 1 today and despite all the rough edges it's still pretty great.

Atlus should translate the PS1 version and release them on the PSN or something
Yeah, right, they don't give a shit about the older games... it would still be awesome though

I've never played a game that has creeped me out as much as SMT1/2. I know many people give them shit for how cluncky and aimless the games are... but I just love them so much.

Teknoman

Gilgamesh said:
Man, this thread is just knocking people out left and right. :lol

The Conception has already begun...

I really hope the battle theme as well as main opening theme are revealed soon. Meguro did an awesome job on Persona 1 remake, cant wait to hear the theme he goes with here. Probably something close to DD2.

Teknoman

Aeana said:
The trailer should go up tomorrow.
Excited.

5d2qv5.png

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Meguro said awhile ago that he was going with a 'more mature sound' for his next game (presumably Strange Journey). So we'll see.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aeana said:
The trailer should go up tomorrow.
Excited.
I'm not that excited, is there anything that indicates it'll be more than a teaser like the debut trailers for EO/Devil Survivor were?

duckroll

jj984jj said:
I'm not that excited, is there anything that indicates it'll be more than a teaser like the debut trailers for EO/Devil Survivor were?

Hearing brand new Meguro music for a SMT game should be exciting, even to a blind man! :eek:

duckroll

Well I think the odds are good that we'll get a meaty trailer. Both EO games and Devil Survivor got kinda non-gameplay teaser trailers, but they're also not "major" releases. Persona 3, Persona 3 Fes, Persona 4, Devil Summoner 2, Persona PSP all launched with really solid trailers showing off the music, gameplay, etc. Obviously since we all expect SMT SJ to be more like the latter games rather than the former, I think a meaty trailer is a given.

Aeana

jj984jj said:
To be honest, I think I'll be excited for any little thing. I've been waiting for this game for so long... I just need more evidence that it's actually real and somebody isn't just messing with me.

duckroll

Aeana said:
To be honest, I think I'll be excited for any little thing. I've been waiting for this game for so long... I just need more evidence that it's actually real and somebody isn't just messing with me.

Maybe it became real because we kept spreading the rumor that it would happen! :D

Ourobolus

Banned
This is awesome. While I've never really been a fan of first-person RPGs (I still can't enjoy EO), SMT should be able to help that. I haven't been able to play SMT 1/2 yet, so maybe I'll have to find a way to track down a copy.

All this SMT lately...sheesh. Lovin' it.

Gorgon

Well, I'm loving the concept of the game so far, far more than Devil Survivor. I love Antarctica as a setting for fiction. Add some strange shit like SMT to it, various teams each with their own vehicles, exploration of a bleak and cold world and tons of bizarre dark shit and it's a perfect mix :lol

Also, Nocturne never had a "III" in the title (if I remember correctly), so I don't have a problem seying this as SMT IV proper. In fact it seems far more like a "real" SMT than "If" or "NINE". I think some people have a problem seying this as a proper SMT IV simply because it's on the DS, but given today's market that doesn't really surprise me. There's no rule that states that proper sequels must be on the same platform or even on the big consoles. Plus I don't see the main SMT series as direct sequels of previous games but more like "reworks" of the same concepts. "Strange Journey" seems to fit right in. I guess that we shoudn't even try to number SMT titles in the first place since only the first two were actually traditionaly numbered as far as I remember.

Gorgon said:
Well, I'm loving the concept of the game so far, far more than Devil Survivor. I love Antarctica as a setting for fiction. Add some strange shit like SMT to it, various teams each with their own vehicles, exploration of a bleak and cold world and tons of bizarre dark shit and it's a perfect mix :lol

Also, Nocturne never had a "III" in the title (if I remember correctly), so I don't have a problem seying this as SMT IV proper. In fact it seems far more like a "real" SMT than "If" or "NINE". I think some people have a problem seying this as a proper SMT IV simply because it's on the DS, but given today's market that doesn't really surprise me. There's no rule that states that proper sequels must be on the same platform or even on the big consoles. Plus I don't see the main SMT series as direct sequels of previous games but more like "reworks" of the same concepts. "Strange Journey" seems to fit right in.
SMT: Nocturne had a "III", but it was dropped for its overseas releases.

Gorgon

Ahh, in that case I'm wrong. There may be a point then to expect a clearly labelled SMT "IV".

BELLOW: yep, thanks for the pic. I guess that the idea was that westerners didn't play the first two so Atlus didn't want them to say "WTF is this, where's the first two?" and scare them away :lol I know they were re-released but did they ever got localized in the US/EU?

zoku88

Gorgon said:
Ahh, in that case I'm wrong. There may be a point then to expect a clearly labelled SMT "IV".

BELLOW: yep, thanks for the pic. I guess that the idea was that westerners didn't play the first two so Atlus didn't want them to say "WTF is this, where's the first two?" and scare them away :lol I know they were re-released but did they ever got localized in the US/EU?
I believe not.

Gorgon said:
I know they were re-released but did they ever got localized in the US/EU?

SMT I + II have never been officially released outside of Japan; the only way to play them in English is to use the translation patches for the Super Famicom versions. (I'm hoping at some point we'll see finished patches for the GBA versions, which are apparently a huge upgrade from the originals.)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I really can't get into dungeon crawlers. So boo.

But I did find out Yggdra Union is getting a sequel while looking for scans for this, so something good came out of it.

edit: Which is apparently an RTS. FUCK STOP CHANGING GENRES YOU STUPIDS

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
why are people so against 1st person in rpgs? I personally love it. Not saying every RPG should be in 1st person, but I like when one comes along.

I think the perspective works REALLY well for SMT.

Serph

Banned
Error said:
why are people so against 1st person in rpgs? I personally love it. Not saying every RPG should be in 1st person, but I like when one comes along.

I think the perspective works REALLY well for SMT.

I agree wholeheartedly

Aeana

Anyone who's down on the idea of it being first-person should really try first-person mode on a new cycle in SMT3.

ethelred

Gorgon said:
Add some strange shit like SMT to it, various teams each with their own vehicles, exploration of a bleak and cold world and tons of bizarre dark shit and it's a perfect mix :lol

One of the other things I'm really expecting this game to pull off well is a sense of isolation. That was one thing that I felt Nocturne handled masterfully -- even though there were things vaguely resembling towns, the game had such an oppressively isolated feel to it -- the few things left alive (and the new environments) were so alien and so often hostile, you really did feel like one of the last five humans in the world. And that isolation really pressed down on you when you were in places like the Ginza Underpass or Ikebukuro Tunnel. Taking place in Antarctica, with a team cut off from the rest of civilization and going on what I assume will be a strange journey, I'm expecting this game to pull off that kind of atmosphere just as well, which is exciting.

Gorgon said:
... so I don't have a problem seying this as SMT IV proper. In fact it seems far more like a "real" SMT than "If" or "NINE". I think some people have a problem seying this as a proper SMT IV simply because it's on the DS, but given today's market that doesn't really surprise me.

So many people keep bringing up if this is SMT4 or not. I don't know why people are focusing on that so much. This is not SMT4. But it is a new, core experience within the SMT series that offers most (if not all) of the gameplay features one would expect of a new SMT game, that promise a really nice mix of the best features of the old (SMT1/2) and new (Nocturne) SMT games along with a few new evolutions for the series. Why does it matter what it's called?

Error said:

It depends on the type of RPG. I hate first person in games like Oblivion and Fallout 3, but I love it in games like Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey and Shining the Holy Ark. Meshing first person with open world game design is a huge, enormous turnoff for me, especially if stuff takes place in real-time or uses an actiony type of combat where stuff is going to come up behind me and attack me when I can't even see them. In games like that, I get seriously frustrated by how fake the first person viewpoint is -- how much the game restricts your vision with blinders and no peripheral vision and how you're cut off from your other senses.

First-person games that use restricted (constricted, even) areas and are primarily turn-based, on the other hand... those I love, because I can really get into the feeling of exploring a maze without stressing out over what's going on right immediately behind me at all times. It's really fun in those because you're so into this labyrinth and figuring out all its twists and turns and secret areas. It's enormously satisfying once you've gone step-by-step through it and mastered it.

Given that pretty much every single dungeon in Nocturne is designed with this concept in mind, also, makes me really want to try first-person mode in that game.

Llyranor

How does the demon-capturing thing work (is it like..... Pokemon?)?

Essentially, all the 300 demons you fight may be negotiated to join your team. How does that work, exactly? From my understanding, you already have a 4-party system, right? Do demons become party members, or do they get attached to specific party members?

Once you get a new demon, is it relatively simple to get it up to par, or do you have to grind it up (eg. does a new demon recruit start off at lvl 1, even if your party is lvl 30?)?

Do the multiple parties allow for a lot of experimenting and customization, without necessarily needing to 'grind' to do that? One thing I liked about Last Remnant was how all the generic soldiers you recruited basically had a power level fairly similar to yours, so customization was just about switching them in and out, without needing to 'level' them first.

How does demon fusing work, exactly?

Many redundant questions, sorry!

I'm asking some of these because one of the things I didn't like about EO was that, even though there were many ways through which you could customize your party, once you committed to it, it'd be a big hassle to change things around (want to try a new char --> lvl 1; want to respec --> - 10 lvl). It didn't really feel rewarding when I wanted to keep going forward in the game, but also experiment at the same time.

ethelred

Llyranor said:
How does the demon-capturing thing work (is it like..... Pokemon?)?

There are two main ways you'll get new demons: through the process of fusion, whereby you take two or more demons you already have and use them to create a new (ideally better) one that combines skills from the two you used. And second, through negotiation. You can engage in a conversation with demons -- each race has its own personality, and if you answer their questions correctly or make the right comments to them, you can convince them to join you (or give you items or money). Other demons can assist with that as well.

Llyranor said:
From my understanding, you already have a 4-party system, right? Do demons become party members, or do they get attached to specific party members?

In Nocturne, you only had one human party member, and your other party members were all demons. It looks like that'll be the case here as well. So... you'll have the one human, and then you can just create a bunch of demons and cycle them in and out of your party as you explore dungeons. They're full party members, and you control them in the same way that you control the protagonist. They're also more sacrificial, since you don't have to worry about them dying in battle (they'll lose experience, but it's not game over like if the human dies) and you end up just thinking of them as tools anyway, as you use them up fusing better demons.

Llyranor said:
Once you get a new demon, is it relatively simple to get it up to par, or do you have to grind it up (eg. does a new demon recruit start off at lvl 1, even if your party is lvl 30?)?

No, demons all start at preassigned levels depending on what the demon is. And demons are constrained by their stats and their skills. It's not levels so much that matter. A lower level demon like a pixie is never going to be a useful contributor to your party if you're at level, say, 40. It's a mug's game to try to sit there and grind them up to a useful state. If you have a demon with good skills, though, you can use them in fusion and transfer the best skills to a more useful party member.

Llyranor said:
Do the multiple parties allow for a lot of experimenting and customization, without necessarily needing to 'grind' to do that?

There is a ton of experimenting and customization, of both the human and his demon roster. And with the compendium, you can register unique versions of demons that you've created and resummon them later if you use them up in a fusion.

Llyranor said:
How does demon fusing work, exactly?

That's a bit more complex than I'd care to explain in a post. Just play one of the games, sheesh. The basic process is that each demon belongs two a race and two races fuse together to create a demon of a different, third race. And there are different level tiers within each race, so the levels of the demons you use determine the demon that results. And you carry skills over from the two merging demons, and those skills supplement whatever skills the resulting demon originally would've had. But there are other complexities like elemental and mitama fusions, the process can be altered based on the moon phase, and so on.

Llyranor

Thanks.

I'd play Devil Survivor, but that game only has one saveslot, which my brother is already using :(

This sounds pretty good, in any case, I'll pick it up if I end up liking Devil Survivor (I'm a SRPG fan as well, so if I like the JRPG elements, we're set).

Demons being party members and having a set level definitely has me interested. So, capturing demons of the dungeon I'm currently in will at least mean they'll be of a decent level.

Another (last???) question: Do you only get to keep x demons in your active party, or do you have a spare inactive roster? (would those gain experience as well? I know I know, level doesn't matter as much!) But in any case, it sounds like this fusion thing will make even weaker demons be useful if they have useful skills.

Yaweee

Llyranor said:
Thanks.

I'd play Devil Survivor, but that game only has one saveslot, which my brother is already using :(

This sounds pretty good, in any case, I'll pick it up if I end up liking Devil Survivor (I'm a SRPG fan as well, so if I like the JRPG elements, we're set).

Demons being party members and having a set level definitely has me interested. So, capturing demons of the dungeon I'm currently in will at least mean they'll be of a decent level.

Another (last???) question: Do you only get to keep x demons in your active party, or do you have a spare inactive roster? (would those gain experience as well? I know I know, level doesn't matter as much!) But in any case, it sounds like this fusion thing will make even weaker demons be useful if they have useful skills.

It's like Nocturne or Devil Summoner. You can have 12 demons in your party at a time, but only three active.

The demons do gain levels, and you usually need to be the same level or higher before you can recruit them. So you can't just run into a new dungeon and get brought up to speed.

Top Bottom