• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU-LY

It's a fun read, but I think you're off one of your big points. You quoted Meltzer a lot in your supporting arguments, but Meltzer disagrees with your big assumption that WWE will undoubtedly have to take a smaller TV deal. At least, smaller by any significant margin. He did a whole column a few weeks ago about how there are way too many factors at play to be able to say definitively one way or the other, and that they are still the top program on USA and USA is still run by Bonnie Hammer who loves Vince and WWE.

The TV deal is no inevitablility. And if they get something solid there, your whole case falls apart.

Heroman

Banned
Anth0ny
TDL5LEQ.gif

I think the main takeaway here should be that while the five years statement is an intentional exaggeration I'm sure, the alternative version of " WWE will be a complete shell of itself in 5 years, barring a miracle (The second coming of Steve Austin in 1998) or a major change in creative direction (departure of Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn, sale of the company)" is something worth considering, at least in regards to the main product.

As an aside, I just rewatched Bayley/Banks from NXT Brooklyn, that match is still fire friends and serves to highlight how the current main roster booking can both overexpose and diminish the character of great wrasslers.

....hang on my friend just texted me saying E&C Season 2 may be cancelled for financial reasons, okay 5 years it is!

klonere

Banned
I know the idea of teaming Young Lions who came up at the same time is super obvious and cliche but the Oka/Kitamura team would legitimately be amazing

Anth0ny

It's a fun read, but I think you're off one of your big points. You quoted Meltzer a lot in your supporting arguments, but Meltzer disagrees with your big assumption that WWE will undoubtedly have to take a smaller TV deal. At least, smaller by any significant margin. He did a whole column a few weeks ago about how there are way too many factors at play to be able to say definitively one way or the other, and that they are still the top program on USA and USA is still run by Bonnie Hammer who loves Vince and WWE.

The TV deal is no inevitablility. And if they get something solid there, your whole case falls apart.

da meltz ain't perfect

He thought Shibata's injury was a work!

And he's wrong about the TV deal! It'll drastic go down!

yes #5years hinges heavily on the 2019 tv deal, but like I said, a 50% drop in ratings since the last deal has to be worth something. Going into the 2014 deal ratings were solid. They've completely plummeted since.

da meltz ain't perfect

yes #5years hinges heavily on the 2019 tv deal, but like I said, a 50% drop in ratings since the last deal has to be worth something. Going into the 2014 deal ratings were solid. They've completely plummeted since.

For like a day.

da meltz ain't perfect

That's all true, but the TV landscape is so unpredictable and in a strange place. Every network and network exec values different things over the other. Basically, as Meltzer put it, whatever WWE's TV deal will be has very little to do with WWE or how they are doing. It'll have to do with how everything else is doing and how the value of WWE relates to that.

Anth0ny

What's up with that Transformers tangent?

I still think you should put it in OT (or someone here should put it in OT).

hah, I just wanted to draw a comparison to another big brand, and show just how quickly things can go to shit if you keep putting out a bad product and expecting audiences to just eat it up.

Something I could see is USA stipulating their deal on major changes with how WWE does their programming. Like they go to WWE and say "we'll only give you this deal if you do something to convince us that the next set of years will work out differently than the last".

I read it in full. I don't know if it's compelling, and it the unintended consequence of #5Years on the rest of the industry could be catastrophic.

Partially done with SSS16 Day 3.

The Bate/Riddle match was fantastic. Great stuff.

I read it in full. I don't know if it's compelling, and it the unintended consequence of #5Years on the rest of the industry could be catastrophic.

I mean just think back to WCW. When it died, it's not like all of those fans switched to WWF. They just went away and stopped watching wrestling entirely.

Egg0

Banned
Nice read Anthony. Not to state the obvious but I think you spent more time thinking about the state of the WWE than the people at WWE.

Transformers 5 was assssssss.

Anth0ny

nah.

wrestling has been a thing before wwf, and will be a thing after wwf.

if anything, the downfall of wwe would allow for a new leader in the market.

....hang on my friend just texted me saying E&C Season 2 may be cancelled for financial reasons, okay 5 years it is!

Yeah the WWE financial report makes it clear we will see next to no original content on the Network aside from wrestling. Edge confirmed it too which sucks but at the end of the day it wasn't driving new subscribers to the Network.

nah.

wrestling has been a thing before wwf, and will be a thing after wwf.

if anything, the downfall of wwe would allow for a new leader in the market.

Again, WWF thought that would happen when they killed WCW. They thought "all these people watch wrestling, so they'll obviously switch over to us as the new #1!" But that didn't happen. That audience just vanished. And WWF was good at the time so it's not like they just didn't want to switch to a worse product.

Again, WWF thought that would happen when they killed WCW. They thought "all these people watch wrestling, so they'll obviously switch over to us as the new #1!" But that didn't happen. That audience just vanished. And WWF was good at the time so it's not like they just didn't want to switch to a worse product.
I would rather wrestling die, than Triple H run it.

DMczaf

When Pro Wrestling dies, it will be like the scene from the end of Shawshank for me

I'll finally be free...after decades.... Beginning in 1994 with my first PPV purchase (Survivor Series 94)

*walks across a beach in Mexico to find Zach working on a boat*

"Hope."

Top Bottom